weird question -- ok to write in allcaps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raDiOnut

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the written section of the MCAT, what do you think -- can I write my essays in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS? I've gotten used to writing this way; my handwriting is much less legible when I don't use all caps. Is this a problem with the MCAT? Has anyone done this before???

thanks all,

raDiOnut

Members don't see this ad.

Radionut,

My response to your question, "can I write my essays in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS? I've gotten used to writing this way; my handwriting is much less legible when I don't use all caps?" is that I would not attempt that strategy.

The essay evaluators are all English gurus, so to write in all caps would be less than grammatically correct. Remember, you are being scored according to: 1. your ability to follow instructions, 2. your proper use of grammar and punctuation (make sure to use transition sentences between paragraphs to link each point together), and 3. whether or not you can stay unbiased with your answers.

For those reasons, I would stay away from the use of all caps. Also, the use of ALL CAPS gives the reader (if he/she is internet inclined) a sense of anger or aggression. :mad: Watch out for that!

Keys to success with the essay....

-FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY: answer only what they ask, in the order it was asked.
-KEEP EMOTIONS AND OPINIONS OUT OF IT: don't write a biased answer, the evaluators will hurt you for that (if you use facts to back up a point you are trying to make, MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!)
-WRITE AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE: make sure that the readers can read it! You don't want them to have the opportunity to get irritated with your writing... if I were trying to score an essay that I couldn't read, it would frustrate me and I'd definitely lower the score (and that is how the MCAT evaluators feel as well).

A little hint ;) ,

It wouldn't hurt to open your essay up with a good quote (cited by the correct author, of course)...

Good luck,

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008 :clap:

I was told by my instructors at Kaplan that you should use whatever is legible because you are scored on the content what they can read..... however, if you have to read the whole essay in CAPS, it might get annoying. So, if your "regular" (w/o all CAPS) is legible enough, use it otherwise stick with what you feel comfortable.

It probably depends on who grades your essay, but I don't imagine it would hurt that much. I assume that although you capitalize all letters, you make letters that should be capitalized larger than the other letters, right? I know a lot of people who write like that and it is probably better to write like that than to write something that is difficult to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write in normal upper/lower case. You are not yet a doctor, with the option to write illegibly.

If I had to grade an essay that was written in all caps, I would find it so annoying that I would have trouble concentrating on your beautiful writing.

What about putting little hearts over my "I"s??? :D

In all seriousness, standardize your writing and play by the rules. The MCAT is, after all, a test of rules. Let's not forget that these people are going to be grading exam after exam...what do you think their reaction is going to be to something that falls outside of those rules?

No sense in putting them to the test.

Should be OK. One of my friends has been writing in all caps since high school because his "regular" handwriting is just too damn messy.

IIRC, during Kaplan (5 years ago, BTW), they said just write legibly, whatever it takes.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably write normally (no all caps), as long as it turns out neat enough. It won't be calligraphy but is should be at least somewhat legible.

raDiOnut

dfleis said:
Actually.. now that I think about it.. didn't the guy who sent out the anthrax letters write in all capital letters too?? HMMMM.....

Yes, but that is because it is hardest to do hand writing analysis and track a letter that has been written in all caps. There is more variation in the way people write lower case letters.

Bottom line: if you're used to writing in caps, and it's the easiest and neatest way for you to do it, go ahead. Just make sure your speed is normal. You don't want to be wasting time or anything. :)

my response: the give you your score based on your handwriting and your grammar and nothing else

ive written 2 terrible essays, and I got Q's on the writing.

It's actually a lot easier and faster now for me to write in caps. I started doing it when I couldn't read my bio lecture notes or my EMS patient care reports that I'd written. (and no, I didn't have anything to do with anthrax. I'm generally too busy for stuff like that, lol).

As the hours to test time tick down, I still ponder the question of how I will write my essays....I think I need a life guys....

raDiOnut