Weird Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnc123

XNavyChick
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an aspiring PharmD and although this may sound strange, it is a serious question: Is having tattoos something looked down upon in this profession?
I ask because I have 8 with more to come. Most are hidden, but the few openly visible ones can be covered depending on the type of clothing and jewlery I wear, or how I wear my hair. I know to cover them when I need to, I just don't know if I'll have to for the rest of my professional life.

XNC

Members don't see this ad.

xnc123 said:
I am an aspiring PharmD and although this may sound strange, it is a serious question: Is having tattoos something looked down upon in this profession?
I ask because I have 8 with more to come. Most are hidden, but the few openly visible ones can be covered depending on the type of clothing and jewlery I wear, or how I wear my hair. I know to cover them when I need to, I just don't know if I'll have to for the rest of my professional life.

XNC

It would not be considered professional to have exposed tattoos or piercings while working. If they can be covered up, that's fine. I'm sure the area of the country where you work may have some bearing on this, too. Some cities are more conservative than others. I have 3 tattoos and they are all hidden.

This is kind of related. I have to ask.
I was told that most tatoo artists will only tatoo those parts of the body that can be covered normally in our culture. That is they will never tatoo the face, the hands and upper part of the neck.
Is that true?

I think that you will have to cover the tattos, because , unfortunately, our society is still a bit conservative for it.
Is funny, I saw a show (another one of those detective shows) and the pharmacist was a young woman with blue streaks in her hair and black nail polish, you know pretty goth looking.
My husband said, isn't she a little too goth for a pharmacist?
It surprised me, because he is the last person I would think of making such a coment (he is a musician and way too open minded)
That went to show me, that pharmacists are in a trusted position, where you don't want them looking anything but squeeky clean!

Members don't see this ad :)
usi said:
This is kind of related. I have to ask.
I was told that most tatoo artists will only tatoo those parts of the body that can be covered normally in our culture. That is they will never tatoo the face, the hands and upper part of the neck.
Is that true?

I think that you will have to cover the tattos, because , unfortunately, our society is still a bit conservative for it.
Is funny, I saw a show (another one of those detective shows) and the pharmacist was a young woman with blue streaks in her hair and black nail polish, you know pretty goth looking.
My husband said, isn't she a little too goth for a pharmacist?
It surprised me, because he is the last person I would think of making such a coment (he is a musician and way too open minded)
That went to show me, that pharmacists are in a trusted position, where you don't want them looking anything but squeeky clean!

You can pretty much get a tattoo anywhere you want, including the face. They have esthetic or cosmetic tattooing where you can get eyeliner and lipliner tattooed on your face (you wouldn't go to your local tattoo parlor for this). Sometimes the artist will decide that they will not put a tattoo on a certian part of the body, but that is the artist's discretion, not a rule.

I figured I would have to hide them, which isn't a big deal. I was concerned about my wristband, but I'll be wearing a coat anyway, right?

MWU-CPG has a few students that have sleeves and other very visible tattoos. THe only time you really need to cover them up is during the interview and on rotations. It's not a big deal.

AmandaRxs said:
MWU-CPG has a few students that have sleeves and other very visible tattoos. THe only time you really need to cover them up is during the interview and on rotations. It's not a big deal.

...as well as an 'instructor'. Dr. Sheffield (?) (Dr. Dietrich's protege) showed up to lecture us on HIV drugs, with his sleeves rolled up to show off his tats, and above-the-neck piercings galore.

I always wonder if I am destined to only wear pants the rest of my professional life due to my ankle tattoo.....should have thought about it since i have always been complimented on my "nice legs". haha.....i am sure i wont miss skirts too badly but I wish our profession wasn't so "squeaky clean" and conservative.

There is a guy in my class with quite a bit of tattoos on his arms and legs. On campus, they're usually visible when he's on campus so it's not a problem there. He'll be on rotations soon, though, so I'm not sure what he'll do (I think his coat covers them up though). We also have a guy with gold teeth...I know it's odd. He can't cover them up/take them out at all so he's kinda screwed if he ever has to.

Trancelucent1 said:
There is a guy in my class with quite a bit of tattoos on his arms and legs. On campus, they're usually visible when he's on campus so it's not a problem there. He'll be on rotations soon, though, so I'm not sure what he'll do (I think his coat covers them up though). We also have a guy with gold teeth...I know it's odd. He can't cover them up/take them out at all so he's kinda screwed if he ever has to.

What about sandals? I love sandals... (Floridian here talking)
Can you wear them on rotations.
What about on retail jobs?

Trancelucent1 said:

Gold teeth?? :confused: I would think the admin committee would look down on this. When I think of pharmacists or other healthcare professionals, for that matter, I think of a more polished look. :rolleyes:

usi said:

Sandals are specifically prohibited in my workplace (Kroger pharmacy). Not just for pharmacy employees but for the entire store. I wouldn't wear them anyway. I personally need something more substantial when I stand up for 8-13 hours at a stretch...

animal_lover said:
Gold teeth?? :confused: I would think the admin committee would look down on this. When I think of pharmacists or other healthcare professionals, for that matter, I think of a more polished look. :rolleyes:

Gold shines pretty good without polishing.

usi said:
sandals are not appropriate footwear for pharmacists

Members don't see this ad :)
xnc123 said:

XNC

In my work experience at two hospitals(non pharmaceutical) I've seen all levels of employees with tattoos; some exposed and some hidden. It will largely depend on your specific workplace policies which are usually outlined in employee manuals.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with self expression as long as it does not hinder a person's ability to perform their job. It's perfectly possible for someone to conduct themselves in a professional manner regardless of tattoos. I find that more and more workplaces are accepting of tattoos as our culture stops perpetuating the stereotype that people with tattoos are irresponsible, lazy, dirty, unethical, unintelligent people.

However, I would err on the side of caution and cover as many up as possible in interviews(both pharmacy school and job). This is simply because you don't want to take the chance one of the interviewers still believes the stereotypes associated with tattoos. First impressions are important.

It is always possible to ask a potential employer what their policies are before applying for a job. In my experience though, it is not expected that ankle, wrist, or arm tattoos be covered. I mean you'll be wearing clothes so it's not as though a large area of your body will be exposed other than arms and legs.

clarrkkent said:
It's perfectly possible for someone to conduct themselves in a professional manner regardless of tattoos. I find that more and more workplaces are accepting of tattoos as our culture stops perpetuating the stereotype that people with tattoos are irresponsible, lazy, dirty, unethical, unintelligent people.

The show, Miami Ink, is not helping that cause.

clarrkkent said:

Personally, I find nothing wrong with self expression as long as it does not hinder a person's ability to perform their job.

Unfortunately in the medical profession it does hinder a person's ability to perform their job because of the impact it has on the patient's perception of the caregiver which plays a vital role in health management. Personally, I believe that it's much more important to conform to the medical professional image even if it means subverting your own desires of self-expression because otherwise you are choosing your superficial desires over the risk of not being able to fully help the people who do have the image of a tattooed person as a freak. Healthcare is not the appropriate field to try to change social views on this because people's lives are ultimately at stake.

imperial frog said:
Unfortunately in the medical profession it does hinder a person's ability to perform their job because of the impact it has on the patient's perception of the caregiver which plays a vital role in health management. Personally, I believe that it's much more important to conform to the medical professional image even if it means subverting your own desires of self-expression because otherwise you are choosing your superficial desires over the risk of not being able to fully help the people who do have the image of a tattooed person as a freak. Healthcare is not the appropriate field to try to change social views on this because people's lives are ultimately at stake.

Great post! In the airline industry, we couldn't have any visable tatoos (had to use something like Dermablend to cover them), unusual piercings or even "unnatural hair color". Any of these infractions would result in a possible suspension or termination.

The medical field professions should be taken even more seriously and held to a higher standard of professionalism, both in appearance and behavior. After all, it is how you are perceived by others as a professional that will determine how your interpersonal relations will unfold. It is not that you have to give up individualism, but rather adhere to the cliche, "There is a time and place for everything." :)

imperial frog said:

What he said.

The image revolves around trust. The two toughest groups to win trust are the elderly and parents of very young children. You've got exactly a New York second to pass their go/no go test, even if you look the part. I have had folks spin on their heel and leave without saying a word when I failed that test. To have the same individual accept you at a later date is quite a compliment. Remember that the image is not about YOU , it is about them and their fears. You are a nameless faceless part of the machine. Unless you can stand out in a positive manner in their mind it is better to not stand out at all.

The closer you can FEEL to them like Mom, DAD or their third grade English teacher the easier your job is. This is why the traditional pharmacist is on a first name basis. "Hi, I'm BOB and I'm here to help." Intimacy takes the edge off of authority. But first you must establish authority. How you look is the first step. How you act is the second. Your goal is to project competence and confidence.

Unless you are working a shift during Bike Week in Daytona Beach tattos will make projecting authority harder, not easier. Even during bike week, heavily tattooed bare arms would endear you to the brotherhood as "He/she's cool" and there would be an element approaching you for DRUGS other than what was prescribed. Not that tattoos are required to solicite that behavior. Any social setting will attract the nervous jokes and wistful glances. Your authority is undermined and they are too familiar.

Bottom line; Marcus Welby GOOD. Tommy Chong BAD. (and I love Chong folks, just not as my health care provider) :love:

Actually, I think it depends upon your practice setting. Do you want to practice in a quiet, conservative, button-down pharmacy in Sun City West, AZ (not meant to disparage the community or the folks living/working there....) - if so...perhaps your tats might not be welcome. However, if you want to work in a large urban area - retail or institutional, I really don't think anyone will care. I've only worked in very urban areas and I've worked with button-down folks and guys with pony-tails & tats & gals with biker pants & tats. The only time I have every felt out of place was when I was in school in SF (the 70's - end of the hippie era). I wore miniskirts & tie dye - we all did, but I was not really a hippie. I had to do a rotation at the Haight-Asbury Free Medical Clinic and I was so totally out of place!!! I was way too neat & tidy for that environment. My classmate went on to be the director there for a long time and he for years had a pony tail, wore ratty jeans to work & was married & had a couple of kids, joined the PTA, but sat on a number of state committees on drug abuse - all with his long hair (& maybe a few tats). Don't worry - I'd keep them covered for interviews - no need to get on someone's bad side right off, but for the long term - no big deal.

Sandals - well - employer specific, but usually no for most job situations.

sdn1977 said:
Actually, I think it depends upon your practice setting. Do you want to practice in a quiet, conservative, button-down pharmacy in Sun City West, AZ .

Agreed, practice setting rules. My comment was aimed at the lowest common denominator for the broadest common appeal. Being the geeky looking white guy in a black neighborhood or the gringo who can't even habla hardly projects competence or confidence. Been there, done that, and it isn't fun.

Your goal is to look the part of an authority figure, and if that means the face tattoos of a Maori elder, so be it.

maori1.gif

Confidence can compensate for perceived competence

It is amazing how a white jacket and some gray hair can smooth the way, calm things down, or preferentially attract those seeking help before you have even opened your mouth.

baggywrinkle said:
What he said.

The image revolves around trust. The two toughest groups to win trust are the elderly and parents of very young children. You've got exactly a New York second to pass their go/no go test, even if you look the part. I have had folks spin on their heel and leave without saying a word when I failed that test. To have the same individual accept you at a later date is quite a compliment. Remember that the image is not about YOU , it is about them and their fears. You are a nameless faceless part of the machine. Unless you can stand out in a positive manner in their mind it is better to not stand out at all.

The closer you can FEEL to them like Mom, DAD or their third grade English teacher the easier your job is. This is why the traditional pharmacist is on a first name basis. "Hi, I'm BOB and I'm here to help." Intimacy takes the edge off of authority. But first you must establish authority. How you look is the first step. How you act is the second. Your goal is to project competence and confidence.

Unless you are working a shift during Bike Week in Daytona Beach tattos will make projecting authority harder, not easier. Even during bike week, heavily tattooed bare arms would endear you to the brotherhood as "He/she's cool" and there would be an element approaching you for DRUGS other than what was prescribed. Not that tattoos are required to solicite that behavior. Any social setting will attract the nervous jokes and wistful glances. Your authority is undermined and they are too familiar.

Bottom line; Marcus Welby GOOD. Tommy Chong BAD. (and I love Chong folks, just not as my health care provider) :love:

I, being a parent, totally agree. To be honest, it is bad enough that the pharmacist looks young (equating to recent bookwork, but little real world experience). If he/she has visible tatoos (not just the little ones on, your lower leg or ankle) I'm more skeptical. That pharmacist has to work that much harder to gain my confidence in them.

As far as sandals go, I live in AZ, so it doesn't bother me at all.

gablet said:
I, being a parent, totally agree. To be honest, it is bad enough that the pharmacist looks young (equating to recent bookwork, but little real world experience). If he/she has visible tatoos (not just the little ones on, your lower leg or ankle) I'm more skeptical. That pharmacist has to work that much harder to gain my confidence in them.

As far as sandals go, I live in AZ, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I am in complete disagreement. Seeing someone's yucky feet in sandals bothers me MUCH more than visible tattoos! Yes, we live in AZ, HOWEVER, we work in air conditioned buildings....sandals = unnecessary.

As for "looking young" is "bad enough"....come on?! People ask me what high school I attend all the time...and I'm 26. If someone is skeptical of my abilities as a pharmacist because I look young, then screw 'em! You can't win everyone over. All I can do is prove my value, and it definitely doesn't mean I'm going to try harder to gain the acceptance of those who look down upon me.

Just an FYI - It is possible to look kempt and professional with visible tattoos. Just because someone has a tattoo doesn't mean they are SCARY or DIRTY, when are we going to get over these stereotypes?

AmandaRxs said:
If someone is skeptical of my abilities as a pharmacist because I look young, then screw 'em! You can't win everyone over. All I can do is prove my value, and it definitely doesn't mean I'm going to try harder to gain the acceptance of those who look down upon me.

It's about giving the best care possible. It's not about me, it's about them. For instance, when I was a PE teacher, there were some boys in my class who did not think that a female should be teaching them sports. On top of that, they were badly out of shape and did not want to participate at all. I had to work hard to get them to participate and get into shape. By the end of that year, each of the boys were not only participating, but had also joined the basketball team.

My point is, the patient needs to feel comfortable enough to trust you. No, you are not going to please everyone, but why not try?

Oh, and you are probably right about the sandals.

gablet said:
My point is, the patient needs to feel comfortable enough to trust you. No, you are not going to please everyone, but why not try?

Because, it's pointless because it's impossible. Aren't we told growing up to "just be ourselves?"

There is a basic level of respect and trust that goes with position or title. Anything further is earned through how one performs their duties. It is possible to respect someone without liking them personally.

I think it's about how you do your job, not about an image you are trying to portray.

AmandaRxs said:
I am in complete disagreement. Seeing someone's yucky feet in sandals bothers me MUCH more than visible tattoos! Yes, we live in AZ, HOWEVER, we work in air conditioned buildings....sandals = unnecessary.

As for "looking young" is "bad enough"....come on?! People ask me what high school I attend all the time...and I'm 26. If someone is skeptical of my abilities as a pharmacist because I look young, then screw 'em! You can't win everyone over. All I can do is prove my value, and it definitely doesn't mean I'm going to try harder to gain the acceptance of those who look down upon me.

Just an FYI - It is possible to look kempt and professional with visible tattoos. Just because someone has a tattoo doesn't mean they are SCARY or DIRTY, when are we going to get over these stereotypes?

Amen! :)