Welcome to me: Accurate or just missed the mark?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unico

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just watched this with the hubby:
Welcome to Me (2014) - IMDb

Has anyone else watched Welcome to Me? Thoughts?

My husband remarked on how extremely self-centered the main character was but I had never thought of BLPD as being "self-centered." Always thought of these folks to be a bit inconsistent (splitting) and generally emotionally unstable. But now I'm curious if they're also overly self-centered? The movie really over-did it IMHO -- what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw it but didn't remember I did until I looked up the title. As a non-practitioner, I would say BPD involves the burden of being inward focused and funneling the outer world inward as either psychic injuries or saviors onto the self. The outer world can't just be the outer world. The outer world is about the self. The outer world is an ocean and the self is a broken boat taking on the ocean's water. So, yes, self-centered with an injured self.

I have limited experience, but from what I've seen and been told by my attendings individuals who have Cluster B PDs exhibit a greater level of egocentrism than other individuals. Even if it's not diagnostic of every PD in that cluster, the lack/inability to see things from perspectives other than their own (beyond the lack of some level of insight with personality disorders in general) is part of what makes that cluster so frustrating to work with. If any of the attendings or psychiologists can give better insight I'd love to hear it, but that's what I've gathered from talking to the psychiatrists I've worked with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that every disease, especially in psychiatry, has a variety of presentations. Also, it's not like there are only 10 personality disorders and also you can kind of have more than one personality disorder or psych disorder going on at the same time.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting take on BPD: The Last Psychiatrist: Borderline

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I saw a show and movie recently that might be of interest. If it should be a separate thread instead, let me know. It's just that there was that 13 Reasons Why thread and I thought maybe it would make more sense to have one thread on various psych-related shows than creating new ones.

So the movie I saw is an older one but one of the best I've seen this year: Melancholia. It's currently on Hulu, which is where I saw it. The director has a trilogy of depression related movies and this is less graphic than some of his others (such as Anti-christ, which I've heard is quite hard to watch). The movie is the best type of science fiction in that you're not beaten over the head with jargon; in fact, there's really none. Some of the scenes in the middle of the movie can be confusing, but for me it was conveying what it feels like to be depressed. If you take it at face value, things seem not to track. If you imagine it as being what events seem like to the main character, it makes sense. I also enjoyed it because it has a very Swedish feel (where it was filmed) and has two famous Swedish actors; although, it's ostensibly taking place in the US given the accents. It doesn't matter to the plot, though.

The show I watched was Alias Grace, which might be of particular interest to forensics psychiatrists, as one of the main characters is an alienist (old term for forensic psychiatrists). In my opinion, not a great show and I didn't agree with the concluding point it made, but might be entertaining for a forensic psych. It's on Netflix.

The show I watched was Alias Grace, which might be of particular interest to forensics psychiatrists, as one of the main characters is an alienist (old term for forensic psychiatrists). In my opinion, not a great show and I didn't agree with the concluding point it made, but might be entertaining for a forensic psych. It's on Netflix.
An aside, but alienist is a current term for forensic psychiatrist (at least where I am we are called alienists and I do enjoy saying "i am the alienist appointed to assess the competency/sanity of...". It was an old term for any psychiatrists. psychiatrists used to be asylum based doctors who specialized in mental alienation, and thus were called alienists.

Reactions: 1 user