Welcome to Zero

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This should be in the prepharm forum, not hidden here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great work on the search. That is truthful and depressing.

Shoot if that is too be believed, we will have 150k graduates without jobs. Of course retirement will happen so let’s call it 50k. That is a 1 in 6 unemployment rate of all pharmacists. Realistically it will be mass underemployment and a 5-10% unemployment rate/new career rate. Just sad and pathetic.

Shoot if that is too be believed, we will have 150k graduates without jobs. Of course retirement will happen so let’s call it 50k. That is a 1 in 6 unemployment rate of all pharmacists. Realistically it will be mass underemployment and a 5-10% unemployment rate/new career rate. Just sad and pathetic.

They keep opening new schools every year with less stringent requirements so let's call it at least 150k.

"However, employment of pharmacists in pharmacies and drug stores is projected to decline. Employment in this industry is projected to decline overall, and retail pharmacies will be affected by increasing sales via mail order and online pharmacies. In addition, pharmacy technicians will be taking a greater role in pharmacy operations. Technicians perform tasks—such as collecting patient information, preparing more types of medications, and verifying the work of other technicians—that were previously done by pharmacists."

This should be a sticky in all pharmacy forums, hidden and not hidden.

Reactions: 1 user
You forgot to add in all the currently unemployed/underemployed pharmacists. You don’t just immediately stop looking for a job if you can’t find one right when you graduate.

Yeah imagine we had a book/posting from the BLS that actually explained job outlook/growth for the pharmacist of tomorrow.....And they STILL GO TO SCHOOL..... I say let it happen.... it will only help depress the US economy in the end...... making things cheaper for a bit , (didnt you say that mentos? ) I'm holding you to that..... cuz i want my house on thew water on a key somewhere SW Florida... for cheap! you dont even have to tell them to keep going to school, they just do it.....no matter what.... it's still around 15K/year.... We will be saturated for the next 25-40 years now.... awesome....

"However, employment of pharmacists in pharmacies and drug stores is projected to decline. Employment in this industry is projected to decline overall, and retail pharmacies will be affected by increasing sales via mail order and online pharmacies. In addition, pharmacy technicians will be taking a greater role in pharmacy operations. Technicians perform tasks—such as collecting patient information, preparing more types of medications, and verifying the work of other technicians—that were previously done by pharmacists."

This should be a sticky in all pharmacy forums, hidden and not hidden.

Wait, you're telling me that allowing technicians to take on more distribution and verification tasks might lead to pharmacist cuts?! But I thought that would free us up for our valuable clinical duties?!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Wait, you're telling me that allowing technicians to take on more distribution and verification tasks might lead to pharmacist cuts?! But I thought that would free us up for our valuable clinical duties?!
Yep. The future of mainstream pharmacist practice is $15/hr MTMs in call center ”sweatshop” type environments. Like provider status, the majority of pharmacists think MTMs are some sort of silver bullet that they can leverage to “bill for services” and “increase reimbursement.” Little do they know it is not a niche skill because nurses, PAs etc can all do MTMs too but at cheaper salaries. “Valuable clinical duties” is different than “niche clinical duty” which is why I have maintained that the skillset and value prop of a pharmacist in the healthcare team is not predicated on anything solid.

Yep. The future of mainstream pharmacist practice is $15/hr MTMs in call center ”sweatshop” type environments. Like provider status, the majority of pharmacists think MTMs are some sort of silver bullet that they can leverage to “bill for services” and “increase reimbursement.” Little do they know it is not a niche skill because nurses, PAs etc can all do MTMs too but at cheaper salaries. “Valuable clinical duties” is different than “niche clinical duty” which is why I have maintained that the skillset and value prop of a pharmacist in the healthcare team is not predicated on anything solid.

I think the heads of the pharmacy organizations realize that only way for pharmacists to be widely employed in ancillary services is for wages to drastically decline. That's why you hear them talking about roles opening up in the future, but they never talk about what those new jobs will pay.

I think the heads of the pharmacy organizations realize that only way for pharmacists to be widely employed in ancillary services is for wages to drastically decline. That's why you hear them talking about roles opening up in the future, but they never talk about what those new jobs will pay.
People direct their anger blindly towards PBMs as “middlemen” who add unnecessary costs to the system; what they don’t realize is that any mass-employer of pharmacists will have the exact same business model in that they will pay drastically lower wages and keep the lion’s share of any reimbursements to themselves, and leverage the saturated job market to do so. Next man up mentality.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be in the prepharm forum, not hidden here.

Everyone does realize there is a sticky talking about the job market in the prepharm forum?

This isn't being hidden, it's being placed in is own section so we don't have the main forum full of the same topics made by @sozetone

• Haha
Everyone does realize there is a sticky talking about the job market in the prepharm forum?

This isn't being hidden, it's being placed in is own section so we don't have the main forum full of the same topics made by @sozetone

In order to get to this hidden forum from the prepharm forum you have to go back to the main pharmacy page, forward to the main pharmacy forum, then look for this hidden forum hidden inside there. That's 3 separate webpages you have to load to find this hidden forum. Nobody reads page 2 of a Google search. This hidden forum is on page 3.

In order to get to this hidden forum from the prepharm forum you have to go back to the main pharmacy page, forward to the main pharmacy forum, then look for this hidden forum hidden inside there. That's 3 separate webpages you have to load to find this hidden forum. Nobody reads page 2 of a Google search. This hidden forum is on page 3.
On my phone it's on top.

In the prepharm forum the sticky is also on top.

Not hard to find unless you choose not to look.

0% growth, wow. The chains have done a good job. There is only 1 more big thing they need to do to completely wipe the pharmacist jobs. Keep expanding technician roles and eventually get the state boards to sign off on pharmacies that run with no pharmacists. Basically have a pharmacy that runs with a remote pharmacist for counseling and remote DURs and precheck. Techs can do tech check tech on everything else. Get board approval for techs to do immunizations.
With this model pharmacist can manage multiple stores, especially the slower stores.
The chains can keep cutting hours and also work on getting pharmacist pay under $40 since it is a perk to work from home.

no more messing around here. what else can they do to cut more pharmacist hours in the next 10 years?
Techs already doing it in Idaho

0% growth, wow. The chains have done a good job. There is only 1 more big thing they need to do to completely wipe the pharmacist jobs. Keep expanding technician roles and eventually get the state boards to sign off on pharmacies that run with no pharmacists. Basically have a pharmacy that runs with a remote pharmacist for counseling and remote DURs and precheck. Techs can do tech check tech on everything else. Get board approval for techs to do immunizations.
With this model pharmacist can manage multiple stores, especially the slower stores.
The chains can keep cutting hours and also work on getting pharmacist pay under $40 since it is a perk to work from home.

no more messing around here. what else can they do to cut more pharmacist hours in the next 10 years?
Remote verification is a thing/something currently being pushed to happen in Florida. Like you said, no need to staff each store with a pharmacist when you can have 1 remote pharmacist provide “only clinical services” and oversee 5 stores.

Remote verification is a thing/something currently being pushed to happen in Florida. Like you said, no need to staff each store with a pharmacist when you can have 1 remote pharmacist provide “only clinical services” and oversee 5 stores.

Remote verification is being done at our hospital system too. Initially there were separate rph at smaller hospitals but now there are a few rph who are at the either larger facility or at home doing the orders.

Look pal, im gonna ask you one time nicely to stop bugging me. we clear?

Look pal, im gonna ask you one time nicely to stop bugging me. we clear?

There's an ignore button. Either use it or stop making a daily thread.

We get it, you hate your job.

If you start on Facebook it’s even more webpages you have to click through!

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats on finding this well hidden forum and constantly contribute to the darkest secrets of pharmacy. Seriously, its very interesting that those who claim its "hidden" are the ones who post frequently on this city-of-atlantic-hidden-subforum. For a brand new user, here is how far they must go.

1) Log on to SDN
2) Hit "Forums"
3) Scroll Down to Pharmacy.
a) option 1: Click on Pharmacy --> First thing you see says "Job Market"
b) option 2: Click on Pre-pharmacy --> First thing they see in the stickies: "Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth it?..." WITH a direct link to the Job Market subforum (not once, but twice) listed at the beginning and very end of the sticky.

Forbid the fact any pre-pharm who wants the opinion of a licensed professional would have to go back and click on "pharmacy" to see what is being talked about right in front of their face. Or, for the lazy ones, just look at the first sticky right on the pre-pharmacy page. Let me guess, users are lazy because they are forced to click on a "sticky" or to click on "pharmacy?" LOL those poor people...

I would blame the pharmacy school recruiters.

Techs already doing it in Idaho

Yea... I have worked in many pharmacies where the technician does all types of transfers (including controlled), takes verbal Rx call ins, and administers flu shots. When I was a PIC of a 400+ Rx/day pharmacy, I had my staff trained to know that I do not answer phone calls, or so any technician duty that does not require clinical judgement. I verified and counciled all day long.

Don’t think it’s so easy though. It is not at all an easy task to get technicians at a level of competency/training where you trust everything that is happening around you.

It’s easy to sit back and think the technicians are taking from you, but that has not been the case at all. It fosters an environment where being a pharmacist is actually possible.