Well damn. . . I guess i could use some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bachboy123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As this application cycle comes to a close and I accept that i didn't get into medical school, I'm considering what is the best course of action to improve my application and reapply. I have a low GPA 3.26 and an even lower science 3.1 so the obvious answer is more classes. I've had a good deal of lab experience and I'm currently working as a lab tech at Rockefeller University in New York. My MCATS were acceptable 30 Q 11BS 11PS 8VR, and while i was very involved in extracurricular activities (Swim team, Student Counseling, etc.) i never had formal clinical experience. I took the year off and did some volunteering at a hospital which was informative but not really that engaging (the volunteer position had few responsibilities and even less direction). So here i am in Late march with a few outstanding applications, but no invitations for interviews. Here's what i've thought out so far but i'm looking to you all for some advice, suggestions for programs, or general pointers to help me improve so that i can be a successful re-applicant.
I'm going to probably wait until 2009 to reapply so that any courses i take during the next year register on my application.
If I have the time i'd retake the MCAT's because, given adequate prep, I'm confident i could improve my score 3-4 points.
I've sought out a few programs based in New York (i only really considered those to start because my girlfriend is here, but I want to find some good options along the east coast and in the mid-west) they are:
graduage (M.S) program through Columbia college of physicians and Surgeons
Post-bacc classes through Hunter college
Post-bacc classes through City College of NY (post bacc program focused on science enrichment).

Based on my discussion with premed advisors, admissions staff, and med school friends. I figure that improving my academic record by either postbacc classes, or a graduate degree is the best thing i can really do. If i were taking classes full time, i'd also look to get some good clinical experience by either volunteering at a hospital, shadowing or something similar. Any suggestions on how to search/find something that is interesting and looks good on an application?

I'm frustrated that i didn't get any interviews but still committed to medicine :mad: . I need all the help i can get because, as i see it, i have one more chance to apply then I'm pretty much spent.
post your recommendations, your advice, any programs or links that you think could help me, you name it i could use it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're on the right track with taking more courses to improve GPA, if I were you I'd take the MCAT over again for sure. You said you feel like you could do better. Having a mediocre (accepted # that is) MCAT paired with a low GPA (which you will be working on) could hurt you. As for SMP programs I've heard those help alot, though I'm unable to help you with specific well known names of East coast schools, sorry.

Maybe consider D.O. schools whenever you apply next time?

Post-bacc courses will raise your GPA, but I think SMP will not. Plus, you can do post-bacc work 'informally' without being accepted into a specific full-time program.

If you think you can get your MCAT up a few points, it would help to compensate for your GPA.

Also make sure you apply early!

Just based on your stats, if you had applied to DO schools you would have been accepted at several places. Be sure you apply early next cycle.

I know several people who have been accepted into MD schools and DO schools with your stats (and many with lower), I would say your recomendations were not strong or you did not shadow enough.

On your next cycle -be sure you ask your profs if they can write you good LORs. And shadow like crazy so you can get a good LOR from a Physician -ask one to be your Mentor, they love that!

Oh, don't take the MCAT again unless you are sure you can raise it.