You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
well, rank lists are in...
Started by Amoeba
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
...now what on earth are we supposed to talk about? 😕
March Madness is coming up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
freaking out about intern year coming up quickly
I wish I didn't agree with this, but I was thinking about this particular topic earlier today! I haven't done peds since September but I'm starting a rotation tomorrow and feel like the stakes are just a litte higher now, that I have to know this stuff.

🙂
I'm just excited I'm getting my presumably last ever snow delay today.
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could comment on good book to read for peds residency. I was hoping to get read a bit each day and finish the bulk of a book.
I bought Nelson's essentials of pediatrics: Fifth edition and started reading it.
Is that good enough?
I have heard that the Nelson's textbook is used primarily as a reference.
I was wondering if anyone could comment on good book to read for peds residency. I was hoping to get read a bit each day and finish the bulk of a book.
I bought Nelson's essentials of pediatrics: Fifth edition and started reading it.
Is that good enough?
I have heard that the Nelson's textbook is used primarily as a reference.
I honestly think you should chill before you start, but if you insist on reading, here's what I think:
Nelson's is the peds bible and a great reference. If you can actually "read" it and not just use it for reference, you are a stronger person than me.
I actually think Zitelli's is a better book in terms of keeping you awake and being interesting. It has a LOT of pictures which help remember the stuff you read, too.
Nelson's is the peds bible and a great reference. If you can actually "read" it and not just use it for reference, you are a stronger person than me.
I actually think Zitelli's is a better book in terms of keeping you awake and being interesting. It has a LOT of pictures which help remember the stuff you read, too.
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could comment on good book to read for peds residency. I was hoping to get read a bit each day and finish the bulk of a book.
I bought Nelson's essentials of pediatrics: Fifth edition and started reading it.
Is that good enough?
I have heard that the Nelson's textbook is used primarily as a reference.
I'm impressed you bought it...quite a few of the programs on my ROL give books like Nelson's and Zitelli's to interns as part of the benefits packages. Makes it hard for me to spend money like that.
t I'm starting a rotation tomorrow and feel like the stakes are just a litte higher now, that I have to know this stuff.
🙂
I know how you feel...I started Peds Pulm this month and feel like I have to note every little detail and pearl I'm hearing, especially for the asthmatics, since I know I'll see them in my continuity clinic (Sleep clinic this morning didn't seem quite as applicable).
I wish I didn't agree with this, but I was thinking about this particular topic earlier today! I haven't done peds since September but I'm starting a rotation tomorrow and feel like the stakes are just a litte higher now, that I have to know this stuff.
🙂
Just wait til June . . . .
I know this probably sounds a bit crazy.
But I'm an MS4 that has only done 1 peds rotation in 4th yr: ambulatory peds. I thought I was going to do medicine up until about 3 weeks ago. I applied for both med and peds separately then my gut feeling was screaming for peds.
So I figure if I can read about 20 pages of Nelson's essentials a day, I can finish the bulk of it over the next 3 months and can tell myself I have a good foundation.
I am not trying to read the NELSON'S TEXTBOOK. I'm working through Nelson's Essential's of Pediatrics: is this book good or is it too dummified in charts?
AND YES, It is crucial to enjoy and relax before residency but this is my way of telling myself I won't crash intern year. So 1-2 hrs a day into reading.
But I'm an MS4 that has only done 1 peds rotation in 4th yr: ambulatory peds. I thought I was going to do medicine up until about 3 weeks ago. I applied for both med and peds separately then my gut feeling was screaming for peds.
So I figure if I can read about 20 pages of Nelson's essentials a day, I can finish the bulk of it over the next 3 months and can tell myself I have a good foundation.
I am not trying to read the NELSON'S TEXTBOOK. I'm working through Nelson's Essential's of Pediatrics: is this book good or is it too dummified in charts?
AND YES, It is crucial to enjoy and relax before residency but this is my way of telling myself I won't crash intern year. So 1-2 hrs a day into reading.
You'll be fine. teh most important things:
1) Know what you don't know
2) Learn when to ask for help
1) Know what you don't know
2) Learn when to ask for help
Nelson's essentials is a fine book to read if you don't want to read the entire Nelson's book itself (and who would want to do that?). I bought the essentials book as a medical student and read a few chapters. At a residency program where I did an away rotation, all the residents got Nelson's essentials and they actually had a conference once every month or so where they would discuss the chapter of the month and do a quiz about it, so every resident got to/ had to read at least the essentials book.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my school doesn't have a match ceremony. Any ideas of how to find out?
Close friends and siblings at a bar or home,: get the wine/shots poured and check the email via phone?
But I'm sure there can be something more elaborate than that...
Any ideas?
Close friends and siblings at a bar or home,: get the wine/shots poured and check the email via phone?
But I'm sure there can be something more elaborate than that...
Any ideas?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 7K