Well, this should be interesting

Vision34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the OAT in a little under 12 hours! :scared:

I am all studied out... I don't know what else to study anymore because I've taken what seems like a million practice exams. I will let all of you know how it goes (in some detail for the people who have their exam days coming up). Hopefully all will go well!

Night! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck! You'll be fine. It'll feel great when you're finally done with it all! Then again, it never really ends.. but it still feels good to check off one thing on your list! :luck:

My advice is don't over-study the night before... go over some physics formula... prepare some snacks (e.g. chocolage, OJ, apples and water) and kleenex. Set 2 alarm clocks in case you turned off the 1st one...etc.

Good luck!:thumbup:

And here are the scores:

Quantitative Reasoning: 340
Reading Comprehension: 310 (damn those pontoons!!)
Biology: 380
General Chemistry: 350
Organic Chemistry: 350
Physics: 340
Total Science: 370
Academic Average: 350

Pretty happy with everything! And to those of you who had the pontoon passage, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! That was ridiculous!

I have to drive back up to school now, but I promise I will write more details later!!

My scores are good enough to turn my provisional acceptance into an official one, so I can't wait to meet all of my future SUNY classmates!!!! :D

Stacy

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am pretty sure I got roughly the same test as optoforme, but I will tell you how I felt about it too.

I thought biology was very straightforward. I was elated that there were no questions about arthropods, coelenterates, annelids, etc. because I had trouble learning which systems (digestive, nervous, etc) go with each. There were a few questions regarding what % of offspring would have a specific disorder if their parents were homozygous or heterozygous. There were some prokaryote/eukaryote questions, distinguishing between endo/ecto/mesoderm... all pretty easy if you go through the kaplan bio material.

Chemistry I thought was pretty easy... % composition, acid/base definitions, molarity, solubility... you really have to know your concepts, but all of the calculations are fairly simple.

Organic I thought was a little tricky at times. A lot of SN1, SN2, E1, E2, chirality, nomenclature, etc. One thing I would definitely recommend is learning the NAMES of all of the reactions (Aldol, Wittig, etc). I didn't spend time on this, and I probably screwed myself on a couple of questions because they would show a reaction and then ask the name.

Physics I thought I bombed. For all of you who have a decent understanding of the concepts, you will be fine. I think I just panicked at first. I could tell that the questions would be ridiculously easy for someone who actually understands physics, but just seeing the word "force" sends me into a frenzy. Know everything there is to know about F=ma. Also got a few questions about springs, optics, and a few which required the use of kinetic equations. I was scoring between 270-310 on all of my practice exams (and let me tell you, the 310 happened only ONCE) so there is hope for everyone. If physics isn't your strong point, my advice to you would be just to relax while you're taking this section because, much like myself, you know more than you think you do.

Reading comprehension: drugs, crocs, pontoons... the same passages that have been popping up in these posts. There is no doubt in my mind that the pontoon passage lowered my score. I was scoring 370-380 on all of my timed practice sections, and I ended up with a 310 on the real thing. I left a LOT of time for that last passage, and was able to THOROUGHLY read it 2-3 times, and STILL couldn't figure out half of the answers. Kind of disappointing.

Quantitative reasoning wasn't bad. Had no clue how to find the volume of a dodecahedron, but hey, who does? (haha don't answer that :laugh: ). But really, don't fret about this section- it's mainly basic math. Stamina was what was killing me. After physics I just didn't feel like testing anymore.

And then I clicked "end" and I swear that was the most painful 15 seconds of my life while waiting for my scores to pop up. Then when I saw that all of my scores were 310 or above, I started saying "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god." By the time I realized I was doing this, I was surprised they hadn't kicked me out of the center!

I have one question for those of you who registered online to take the test. Do you remember if it asked where you wanted your scores to be sent? I know they didn't ask me on test day, and I couldn't remember whether or not they asked me when I registered. Otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out a way to get my scores sent.

Any other questions, feel free to reply or PM me!

Stacy

just fax them a copy of your scores or make a copy for yourself and send them the original. It's only a piece of paper. The official score will get there in 3-4 weeks anyway

Hi, I was wondering how long did you study for this OATs and how did you go about it? Congrats by the way

Just wondering if you might be able to post a list of all the equations that you had memorized for the exam. Mainly the physics equations, but also any chemistry, biology, or QR, that you made sure you new for the OAT. I'm going through the kaplan material right now and it would be impossible to memorize all of the equations. Thanks, your help would be very much appreciated. I'm taking the OAT in a couple of weeks!! Thanks.

Just wondering if you might be able to post a list of all the equations that you had memorized for the exam. Mainly the physics equations, but also any chemistry, biology, or QR, that you made sure you new for the OAT. I'm going through the kaplan material right now and it would be impossible to memorize all of the equations. Thanks, your help would be very much appreciated. I'm taking the OAT in a couple of weeks!! Thanks.

are you applying this cycle ('07)?

OD23- I took the Kaplan course online over the summer, so I was studying from May-August. However, I didn't really study hardcore at that time. I read the assignments, took the exams that they provided, etc, but nothing more. Then from September-December I focused on my classes, and spent very little time studying for the OAT. But at the beginning of January, I studied several hours a day every single day. Two weeks before my exam, I skipped all of my classes and studied all day every day (I obviously wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but I knew that I could still keep my grades under control). So I suppose I studied for a relatively long period of time, but the two months before my exam are what really counted. Are you taking (or did you already take) the Kaplan course? I am amazed at the people who do very well on the exam without taking the course because I know that I couldn't have survived without it!

10sne1- sorry to say this, but I memorized every single physics equation in the Kaplan book. I made flashcards for all of them, and went through them every single day about 2 weeks prior to my exam. It was time consuming, but well worth it. I knew that physics was definitely my weakest area, so I was willing to do anything that would help me out. I made sure I learned all of the concepts first, but being able to quickly remember equations helped me tremendously. As for chemistry, I didn't really memorize anything- I just learned the concepts very well. But be sure to know how to calculate molarity, molality, percent composition, etc. No real memorization needed for quantitative reasoning either, except for basic things like circumference, area of a circle, and distance formula.

Again, any other questions, just let me know

Good luck :)

Vision34

I took the OAT today and I got a 330 AA and a 320 TS. I've applied for for fall 2007 so I think I at least have a fighting chance for acceptance this year. Thanks for your input, I memorized as many equations as I could and that seemed to have worked. Good luck to you.

It all depends on the way you normally study. I hate studying so I dedicated a little over a month to study for the OAT (during my semester break). That is it. During that month I studied and studied and studied. I got TS 330 and AA 330 which is fine for me espec since I hate standardized tests. It also depends on how quickly/easily you can retain information. I used SAT and AP Test subject books in addition to the Kaplan Review book and they worked well. I didn't spend thousands of dollars for the Kaplan course and expensive review materials. I decided to go the cheap route and get most of my review materials from the library. Good luck!!