Went to a male GYN for first time yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brotherbloat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I went to a male gyn for the first time yesterday, and I was pleased with the experience. He was about 65 years old though--I wouldn't go to a male gyn who was younger than 45--it would just make me too uncomfortable. Anyhow, I thought his exam was more thorough and gentle than the others I've received from females. Also interestingly, this was the first time I did not experience post-pap bleeding, as I always have in the past just a little bit). I guess that means maybe he didn't scrape inside the cervix--only around--or maybe he was more gentle? Ususally it really hurts during the pap--this time I didn't feel anything.

Just wanted to share my experiences, I will definitely be sticking with this gyn. The only thing was that he didn't offer a chaperone in the room, it was just him and me. I thought that was a bit odd, but it didn't bother me.
 
Had similar experience with my male gyn. First time the instruments weren't cold (he heated them on a heating pad), that I didn't bleed, and that the doctor didn't make me feel uncomfortable/invaded.
 
brotherbloat said:
Hello,

The only thing was that he didn't offer a chaperone in the room, it was just him and me. I thought that was a bit odd, but it didn't bother me.

I'm surpirsed by this. I would have guessed that in this day and age a male gyn would insist on a female staff member being present. It's for both his and the patient's protection.

judd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd feel odd if I went to the gyn and there was a chaperone.. but then I also see female docs. My mom sees a male doc but I have serious issues seeing him as he's a family friend. I don t know how well I could handing seeing him in the morning and then eating dinner with him at night.
 
Yeah, I thought it was mandatory (if you will) for male OB/GYNS to have female nurses in the room during the exam. 😕
 
Oetzi1286 said:
Yeah, I thought it was mandatory (if you will) for male OB/GYNS to have female nurses in the room during the exam. 😕
I have had 2 exams by male REIs and they didn't have a female nurse in the room. One even asked if that was okay, my response was that I honestly didn't care. No biggie, he did his job, and I went on my way 😉 They're 2 of the best docs I've ever had. I wouldn't allow being alone during their exam if I didn't feel comfortable with the doctor, but then again I wouldn't allow a doctor I didn't feel comfortable with doing my annual exam.