We're one year apart...ideas for matching?

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me and my husband are currently in our second and third year of medical school. We really want to go somewhere else for residency, but since we are one year apart, I'm doubting we'll be able to utilize the couples' match. We're not willing to do residencies in separate places. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has been or knows somone whose been in a similar situation? I guess I've thought of four possibilites

1. we spend a year apart and I try to match in the same city as him (we'd have to move somewhere with multiple programs, I'm guessing)
2. he does a transitional year and then we apply to programs together as a matched couple (not sure if he'd even reapply after transitional year?)
3. he take a year off to do research so we can apply together (don't think he really wants this at all, or if it's even possible)
4. I follow him to whatever city he's in, and apply to multiple different residency specialties to insure getting a spot (would involve me possibly doing something I don't want to do)
5. we just give it up and stay at our med school for residency (we'd be together, but it's really inflexible and we'd like to live somewhere else for res, plus he could get into a better program with his STEP)

basically, I'm mainly worried that he's going to get in somewhere great, and then I'm going to be really limited, maybe not match at all, and end up scrambling into a program somewhere else.... Well, that is the worst case scenario

any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Part of it depends where you guys want to live during residency, which you didn't say, speciality, and also what kinds of programs you plan to apply to (academic/community/etc). If its a major city like Boston or NY (or many others) with a ton of hospitals/programs with a wide range of competativeness, you'd probably be able to match there. Especially if you spent much of your fourth year doing visiting electives at various programs. No guarantee, but probably. Many people at my school only apply in and around our city. And most match just fine.
Are you willing to go to a program that wouldn't otherwise be your first choice?
Also, there are things besides research that one could do during a year off---get an MPH or MBA for example.

Are you worried that you may have a difficult time matching regardless of location? If so, having him take the year and then couples matching seems like a better plan because it means you can apply far and wide. But it does mean that his fate is tied to yours---meaning he might get stuck at a less than 1st choice program for him.

Is he as concerned about this as you? There's no right answer, but you both should be willing to compromise somewhat and make a decision together about this. Him doing exactly what he wants and then you hoping for the best while being left out to dry probably isn't the best idea for you two in the long run.....as anything that happens effects you both.

Thanks Alex Q! Well, we were thinking a big city would be a better bet, but being from the south and a much smaller city, I wasn't sure if the programs in NYC/Chicago/Boston were all super competitive. I think we both want him to just go on and start in a place where there are a lot of programs- and then me strictly apply to programs in that area- but I don't know if I'm running a serious risk of maybe not matching at all....? But maybe not. But thanks for the advice. I guess we'll have to figure it out when the time rolls around :idea:

What specialties do you two want?? That can play a big part. If you are ortho and rad onc...well, might be tough. If you (being the younger) want I-Med, peds, etc; you will probably be fine.

I know a couple in OK City; she matched into Optho (I think), he didn't couple match. So he took a year off and did research at OU and reapply in Path (I think) and matched there. Now they are both happy in residency in OK City. I don't think Path was his #1 choice, but he liked it enough.

It is VERY good that you are thinking about this early. I'm a business guy and was AMAZED at how many of my wife's classmates went into the interview/ranking/matching process without carefully considering the potential outcomes.

Best of luck!!