West Coast Internal Medicine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlowToLearn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a nice discussion with our chair of medicine. Gave me a list of programs (mostly in Cali) which would be a good fit my current career goals. A little more info on me...at best, I'm a second-tier candidate...decent evals during my 3rd-year clerkships, barely passing Step I...looking into good primary care programs but would also like to keep my options on fellowship (Allergy/Immunology). My chair gave me a list of the two programs I wouldn't have a shot at (UCSF, Stanford)...but said, give it a shot anyway! A few other programs like UCSD & UCLA would be within reach. Said Davis was the one I'd try to really shoot for...also mentioned Cedars-Sinai (which becomes a stronger program if it affiliates itself with a VA hospital), UCI, & USC. And if I'm looking towards strictly primary care, he said the Kaiser programs are really good, too.

I like my chair...although I think he's a bit more about reputation and rank (although he did surprise me with his endorsement of the Kaiser programs). I feel that if I'm looking towards fellowship, I need a program that probably needs more of a name...in any case, the program needs a diverse pool of patients and some autonomy (i.e. - anything affiliated with a VA).

What are your thoughts, everyone? What have you heard about other programs thorughout the state of california?

-Slow
MCW Class of '06

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for fellowship placement, the obvious programs to shoot for would be Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD. There are several other programs in CA which do very well in placing their residents into fellowships: Davis, USC, Cedars-Sinai, Harbor-UCLA, and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. All of these programs give you a very well-rounded experience and a great deal of autonomy. Cal Pacific also has a decent track record for fellowship placement. UCI I'm not so sure about -- people do fellowships from there, but I know a couple of residents who graduated from that program who had a really tough time with getting fellowships. The Kaiser programs are good if you are definitely planning on doing primary care, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want to subspecialize. Also, if you're thinking of West Coast in general, and not just CA, you should take a look at the Oregon Health & Science Univ program -- they have great primary care and also good fellowship placement.

Thanks AJM,

I appreciate your input greatly...Valley Medical Center, eh? I'll definitely be applying there...after all, I practically "grew up" there with my mom bein' an RN at SCVMC since the dawn of time. I didn't know they had a pretty good track record for placing people into fellowships?

Anyone else care to comment on Valley Medical Center? Or for that matter, any of the other programs that have been mentioned already? AGain, every opinion is greatly appreciated :) Have a good one, everybody.

-Slow
MCW Class of '06