Other OT-Related Information West coast University MSOT summer 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rb2391

Reaction score
Hi, Guys!

I recently got accepted into West coast university! Wondering if there are any of you out there looking to locate to the area and are looking for a roomie.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Guys!

I recently got accepted into West coast university! Wondering if there are any of you out there looking to locate to the area and are looking for a roomie.

What was the process? Interview? Writing sample?

What was the process? Interview? Writing sample?
It is a speed dating style interview with a few different faculty members and current students. It went very quickly. Be ready with your questions because there is little time to ask. After there is a very brief little tour given by some current students who will also answer some questions for you. Then, you write a timed essay with a blunt pencil (spelling and grammar count!) and worry the entire time that they won't be able to read your handwriting. You don't have much time to chat with other applicants, and when I went they schedule groups in waves (I think we had five or six applicants in our group). Very efficient. Staff and students were very friendly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I just submitted my application for the spring 2021 start! Anyone else here in the same boat?

Hi all,

I just submitted my application for the spring 2021 start! Anyone else here in the same boat?

I am going to applying! I have to wait until I get my degree in May though!

Hello! I recently interviewed for MSOT summer 2020 and OTD fall 2020. I was just curious to know if anyone else has applied/interviewed for those semesters and if you’ve heard back with any news! Best of luck to everyone!!

Hello! I recently interviewed for MSOT summer 2020 and OTD fall 2020. I was just curious to know if anyone else has applied/interviewed for those semesters and if you’ve heard back with any news! Best of luck to everyone!!
Hey! I emailed Mary about it on Monday and she said that they’re supposed to send out decisions in about two weeks

I had an interview for MSOT summer 2020 last week. I haven't heard anything yet !

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say that decision notices are out. I got accepted to the summer msot and waitlisted for fall otd!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say that decision notices are out. I got accepted to the summer msot and waitlisted for fall otd!
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing what time they sent out the email? I live on the east coast so I was wondering how late they send it in comparison since they’re three hours behind

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing what time they sent out the email? I live on the east coast so I was wondering how late they send it in comparison since they’re three hours behind
Thank you! The email sent out at 5:45pm

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they don’t delay bc of COVID-19
the wait is already killing me :-(

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten updates?

Not yet. I emailed Mary last week (interviewed last March 6th for OTD program) and she said she'll be sending out notifications by the end of this month.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,
I understand the wait is killing all of us! I would like to share that I emailed Mary and she responded that due to the recent health crisis staff is working remotely. Mary is hoping to send out emails by Friday.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone,
I understand the wait is killing all of us! I would like to share that I emailed Mary and she responded that due to the recent health crisis staff is working remotely. Mary is hoping to send out emails by Friday.
Thank you for the update!

Hey Everyone,

Just got an email for MSOT Summer 2020. I have been put on the waitlist.

Hi all, I’ve been placed on the waitlist for the Summer 2020 MSOT, didn’t hear back from the Fall 2020 OTD yet.

Hey I got an email yesterday to confirm my waitlist #. Then it updated confirming my acceptance. I have to decide and submit my deposit of $500 by Friday 3/20. Classes are still confirmed to start May 4.

Good luck to all of you, and I'm excited to meet this summer's cohort. Let me know if there's a FB group starting, and if anyone is looking for housing too! I'm coming from the Bay area.

PROGRAM UPDATE: I asked Mary if the start date to the program is expected to change because of the current issues going on. She said the start date shouldn't change but classes MAY be online to start.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I got an email yesterday to confirm my waitlist #. Then it updated confirming my acceptance. I have to decide and submit my deposit of $500 by Friday 3/20. Classes are still confirmed to start May 4.

Good luck to all of you, and I'm excited to meet this summer's cohort. Let me know if there's a FB group starting, and if anyone is looking for housing too! I'm coming from the Bay area.
Hi! I was also accepted for the summer cohort and have already paid my seat deposit. I keep looking on Facebook for a group but I don’t think anyone has made one yet :( I wouldn’t even know how to start one and/or get the entire cohort on it. But regardless, I’m excited to meet you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
PROGRAM UPDATE: I asked Mary if the start date to the program is expected to change because of the current issues going on. She said the start date shouldn't change but classes MAY be online to start.
Thanks for this update! I was super curious if classes were going to be cancelled or not. I have also accepted my seat and hope to start this summer. Can’t wait to meet all of you :)

Hello! Congrats to everyone and good luck to those waitlisted or still interviewing.
I was also accepted to the MSOT Summer 2020 and was looking to start a Facebook group or if one is already started for this cohort please share :)

Hello! Congrats to everyone and good luck to those waitlisted or still interviewing.
I was also accepted to the MSOT Summer 2020 and was looking to start a Facebook group or if one is already started for this cohort please share :)
I don’t think anyone’s started one yet...should we just start one? Especially if we won’t be able to start classes in person lol

Hi all, I was on the wait list & I just got my acceptance letter today! Looking forward to meeting you all in the summer! :)

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone that interviewed on March 6th got an update about their status? I applied for Fall OTD and Spring Masters program. Thank you.

Hi Everyone,
I’m currently weighing out my options between WCU and another school. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share the reasons they chose WCU over other schools?
I do plan on working during the school year as I do have bills to pay. Any comment/suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

When you applied for MSOT summer 2020 and OTD fall 2020, did you submit two different applications for the MSOT and OTD to OTCAS and West Coast University? Thanks in advance!

When you applied for MSOT summer 2020 and OTD fall 2020, did you submit two different applications for the MSOT and OTD to OTCAS and West Coast University? Thanks in advance!
Hi! Yes I did two separate applications for MSOT and OTD

Hello! Does anyone have an upcoming interview for Spring 2021 MSOT program? Thanks!

Can someone explain the process during the interview? I applied for Spring 2021

Hello! Does anyone have an upcoming interview for Spring 2021 MSOT program? Thanks!
Can someone explain the process during the interview? I applied for Spring 2021

Hello! I had my interview last Friday and it was through Zoom. It is an individual interview and you may either get 1 or 2 faculty members to interview you, (I had two interviewers). But it wasn't that bad! They asked you the typical "Why OT?" kind of questions. So just prepared to have a good understanding of what OT is. After the interview, you'll leave the zoom conference, get an email of the essay prompt, and then you will have 1 hour to write and submit it. Good luck on your interview! :)

Hello! I had my interview last Friday and it was through Zoom. It is an individual interview and you may either get 1 or 2 faculty members to interview you, (I had two interviewers). But it wasn't that bad! They asked you the typical "Why OT?" kind of questions. So just prepared to have a good understanding of what OT is. After the interview, you'll leave the zoom conference, get an email of the essay prompt, and then you will have 1 hour to write and submit it. Good luck on your interview! :)

Thank you so much for the info! If you do not mind sharing: Do they ask about previous work exp/volunteering?

It is a speed dating style interview with a few different faculty members and current students. It went very quickly. Be ready with your questions because there is little time to ask. After there is a very brief little tour given by some current students who will also answer some questions for you. Then, you write a timed essay with a blunt pencil (spelling and grammar count!) and worry the entire time that they won't be able to read your handwriting. You don't have much time to chat with other applicants, and when I went they schedule groups in waves (I think we had five or six applicants in our group). Very efficient. Staff and students were very friendly.
Hello, thanks for the info! Do you interview in groups? or interview is conducted individual? How would be writing part look like? do you mind sharing?

Hello, thanks for the info! Do you interview in groups? or interview is conducted individual? How would be writing part look like? do you mind sharing?

I recently did an online zoom interview. I was in a lobby with 7 other candidates and we were pulled individually to our interviewer. It was a one on one interview. After the interview, they will send you an email for the essay prompt. You will have one hour to physically write/ submit via email (just take a picture of your paper and send it to the email they provided). In regards to the essay prompt, I heard there are different prompts of essay and it varies for everyone. I would say, the essay will most likely be about you. Brain storm accomplishments or maybe struggles that shaped the way you are as an individual.

SO I got email from Mary stating that "This email is to inform you that we have reviewed your application and unfortunately your application has not been selected to progress." So I emailed her back saying why my application is not selected and her response was Unfortunately I have submitted application very late in the cycle; but I submitted my application before deadline which was July 12th 2020. Now for Fall 2021, I need to reapply on July 16th 2020 cycle.
Any one received similar email like I did? Any suggestion when any of you submitted your application for Spring 2021? So for the next cycle i can apply early.