Program-Specific Info / Q's West Coast University - OTD Fall 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! If I ask a professor/OT for a LOR now when the next OTCAS cycle hasn't opened yet, where would the letter go/be submitted in the meantime? Or would they have to hold off on it until the next cycle opens? When is a good time to ask for LORs?
I am almost positive you have to wait for OTCAS to open. When you create your OTCAS profile, there is a LOR section. You have to send a link from that page to whoever it is that is writing one for you. It is a specific OTCAS link to which the reference will upload their LOR themself. You will not see what they write unless you ask them to send it to you directly as well.

However, it is not a bad idea to give them a huge heads up! Ask if they will write you a LOR well in advance. I would allow a couple months so they aren’t pressured. If they say yes, just let them know you’ll need it submitted in mid July, at which point you will be sending them the link to submit it. Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost positive you have to wait for OTCAS to open. When you create your OTCAS profile, there is a LOR section. You have to send a link from that page to whoever it is that is writing one for you. It is a specific OTCAS link to which the reference will upload their LOR themself. You will not see what they write unless you ask them to send it to you directly as well.

However, it is not a bad idea to give them a huge heads up! Ask if they will write you a LOR well in advance. I would allow a couple months so they aren’t pressured. If they say yes, just let them know you’ll need it submitted in mid July, at which point you will be sending them the link to submit it. Hope this helps! :)
Thank you so very much! You have been very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I just got an email saying I got accepted into the OTD program starting this Fall!! I was on the wait list, so there is still hope for you all!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the Fall OTD class?

Reactions: 2 users
I just joined the WCU MSOT/OTD FB group! It is not specific to our cohort, but it's still a great way to network with fellow students :)

I was accepted for Fall 2019 OTD program as well! Is there anyway to get in contact with other students who are looking to room together? Unfortunately I don't have a facebook account.

Reactions: 1 users
I got waitlisted for the MSOT program within the 10th ranking! So my chances are really good! Good luck to everyone! Hope we move up soon!!

Hi everyone, congrats on getting accepted to WCU! I was recently accepted as well for the summer 2019 cohort, but unfortunately I had to discontinue the program due to health issues. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you guys will love the program. I do have all the books, so if anyone is interested let me know!! Good luck to all.

To everyone who got accepted, did you guys finish the written portion?

I didn't finish the written essay, but my interview went smooth and was fairly easy.

what are your thoughts on the school and program?

As for me, the school/campus only seems like a few classrooms. The cafeteria is tiny and the library is even smaller. Parking seems like it would be a disaster with all the other programs in session. I had my interview on a Friday, so there wasn't many students on campus, with plenty of parking and the library being almost completely empty.

Everyone was very friendly and the small cohort would benefit since professors and faculty can focus on an individual's success.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
If anyone is on the waitlist and hears back about getting in, let us know! I’d love to be updated especially because I know everyone as well as me are anxiously waiting. Good luck to everyone :)

Hi everyone, congrats on getting accepted to WCU! I was recently accepted as well for the summer 2019 cohort, but unfortunately I had to discontinue the program due to health issues. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you guys will love the program. I do have all the books, so if anyone is interested let me know!! Good luck to all.
Hi! Do you have an email I can contact you at? Thanks!

Hello everyone!:) I am still looking for a roommate. Living in LA is expensive =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting accepted to WCU's OTD Program! I got accepted as well! Are you planning to accept the offer?
Hi! Sorry for my delayed response. I haven’t checked this thread in a while. :) Yes, I accepted my spot. Very excited! Did you accept??

Did anyone else get acceptance notifications today?
I am still on the waitlist. I just received an email regarding my position and it changed to an even higher one.

Yeah same here. I moved down 10 spots but I was pretty high up on the list before the email. I’m a little upset because now I feel like I definitely won’t get in. I had a higher chance before.
I feel the same! I moved 12 spots since the last update. I wonder if the class is completely full now.

I'm also waitlisted. I believe OTD class starts Sept. 2nd.

Anyone receive updates for the MSOT program? I'm pretty high up the waitlist but haven't received any update yet.

Anyone receive updates for the MSOT program? I'm pretty high up the waitlist but haven't received any update yet.
The last email mentions that the decisions for the MSOT will be by the end of July.

Oh really? I thought it started August 19 but I may be wrong. Good luck though! Hopefully we all get off the waitlist

Just looked at the academic calendar, Pharmacy is Aug 19th, OT/PT starts Sept 2nd.

Thanks. Good Luck to all of us!

I wonder if the classroom is already full. :(

I got accepted into the OTD program Good luck to everyone who’s on the waitlist! I’ve read so many forums of people getting into a program from the waitlist, so I’m wishing you all the best!
Hi! Congratulations!

I am applying to the program this upcomng cycle and was wondering if you could share your stats or offer any advice? Also, how do you like the program?

Congratulations again :)

I got my acceptance for the OTD program today. ☺ Good luck to everyone still waiting!!
Hi! Congratulations!

I am applying to the program this upcomng cycle and was wondering if you could share your stats or offer any advice? Also, how do you like the program?

Hello, I was accepted for the MSOT program last Tuesday! I'm so excited to see everyone this January!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I was accepted for the MSOT program last Tuesday! I'm so excited to see everyone this January!
Congrats! Were you on the waitlist or did you interview with them in June? I'm currently on the waitlist but haven't heard anything back yet.

Congrats! Were you on the waitlist or did you interview with them in June? I'm currently on the waitlist but haven't heard anything back yet.
I interviewed with West Coast in June. I hope you get in, good luck!

Hi! Congratulations!

Sure, here are my stats!

Undergrad: CSUN B.S. Public Health, Minor in Psychology
Cum GPA (last 60 units): 4.0
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
OTCAS GPA: 3.55
Experience: Rehab Tech in a SNF 40 hrs/week for over 1 year, 100+ volunteer hours inpatient, 40+ volunteer hours peds, 150+ hours as a Public Health Intern in a speciality school for children with dev dis

The OTD program doesn't start until September so I can't share much, but from other people's experience and the WCU OT instagram page it seems like everyone loves it! All the students seem so close and are willing to help each other out.
My best advice when applying to this program is to be yourself! As common of an answer as that is, that's really what the professors and students are looking for when choosing candidates for their program. You can tell that West Coast really picks students who are driven and have a great personality, versus someone who has the best GPA. When submitting your OTCAS app, make sure that you include all your courses, as well as work/volunteer experiences that will benefit you into getting an interview. That way when you get an interview invitation, that's your chance to showcase your personality and your willingness to be the best OT you can be through your gained knowledge and experiences. Good luck, you got this! :)

I hope so too! My ranking is pretty high so chances still look good.
When you say you have a high ranking does that mean a big number or small number? I’m kind of confused with the ranking system scale....

When you say you have a high ranking does that mean a big number or small number? I’m kind of confused with the ranking system scale....
When I say 'high ranking' I mean that my rank number is close to getting off the waitlist. And low rank would be a higher number like 20 or something.

Are you waitlisted as well?

When I say 'high ranking' I mean that my rank number is close to getting off the waitlist. And low rank would be a higher number like 20 or something.

Are you waitlisted as well?
Yes I am waitlisted. Hopefully we find out tomorrow! Good luck

Why MSOT rather than OTD?
Honestly, it was definitely the cost and time that ultimately led me to pick the MSOT program. I'm from the Bay Area, so it's pretty expensive living as it is. Plus, I'm not too interested in research or teaching, but if I change my mind I'll consider a post doctorate.

Does anyone know if WCU picks students off the waitlist for the Summer MSOT cohort? Or if they interview from the 2019-2020 applicants. I read from a different thread that last year they added applicants from the Spring waitlist to the Summer cohort.

Does anyone know if WCU picks students off the waitlist for the Summer MSOT cohort? Or if they interview from the 2019-2020 applicants. I read from a different thread that last year they added applicants from the Spring waitlist to the Summer cohort.

Look like the Summer 2019 cohort already started on May 6.

Did you get your waitlist number for MSOT through email or did you ask Mary for it?

I received an email notifying me that I would get a notification towards the end of July.

Look like the Summer 2019 cohort already started on May 6.

Did you get your waitlist number for MSOT through email or did you ask Mary for it?

I received an email notifying me that I would get a notification towards the end of July.
I got my waitlist number at the end of May, but haven't heard anything since then.

And sorry I meant for 2020 Summer cohort.

I got my waitlist number at the end of May, but haven't heard anything since then.

And sorry I meant for 2020 Summer cohort.

Got it. Thanks.

I was told the waitlist wasn't finalized because more applicants interviewed in June, so waitlist positions can change when the list is initially finalized.

Hiii good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! I got off the waitlist not too long ago so I know how stressful waiting is ): Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook page for spring 2020 cohort?

Hiii good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! I got off the waitlist not too long ago so I know how stressful waiting is ): Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook page for spring 2020 cohort?
Congrats on getting off the waitlist! Just curious, what number we're you on the waitlist and did you apply to the OTD program or just MSOT.

Hey guys! I just received an email from Mary! But my rank moved from #3 to #7 for the Spring 2020 MSOT program. But chances still look good! Wishing you guys the best of luck!

Hi! Are you going to go to school in January?