West Coast University Pharmacy 2019 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elica

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does somebody apply for PharmD program at West Coast University this year ? Are they start the interview ? I'm wondered if they had a pharmacy students last year, if they have any pharmacy class last year ?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview on Monday. They have a class that is now in their second semester. IF you apply and get accepted you will be in their second graduation class. Did you go to an interview. Did you like the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
No they didn't call me for interview . Can you share how was your interview with them please ? And also do you have a Bachelor degree if you don't mind can you share your GPA status ? My degree is from outside the country and they don't accept it but they said that is not necessary to have a Bachelor but I'm still thinking of that...Thanks a lot !

I have an interview on Monday. They have a class that is now in their second semester. IF you apply and get accepted you will be in their second graduation class. Did you go to an interview. Did you like the school?

No they didn't call me for interview . Can you share how was your interview with them please ? And also do you have a Bachelor degree if you don't mind can you share your GPA status ? My degree is from outside the country and they don't accept it but they said that is not necessary to have a Bachelor but I'm still thinking of that...Thanks a lot !

Isn't this school still not accredited yet? I would definitely not apply any school like that. lol
I'm always fascinated when people take this stance. If you go back 10 years in some threads you will see the same comments made about Pacific university and other universities that are now not only accredited but top schools. There is now a process in place to make sure that students are protected when they apply and attended pre candidate status schools you should look it up.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview yesterday and they called me this morning and accepted me. The interview was only 30 minutes. I was very calm during this interview. They ask the basic question about pharmacy. Honestly, there wasn't anything that I was surprised by. However, you will have to defend why pharmacy compared to other professions.
my stats are here
http://futurepharmdstudent.tumblr.c...are-your-stats-for-applying-to-pharmay-school

I'm still waiting to hear back from two other schools then I'll make my decision. Good luck

I'm always fascinated when people take this stance. If you go back 10 years in some threads you will see the same comments made about Pacific university and other universities that are now not only accredited but top schools. There is now a process in place to make sure that students are protected when they apply and attended pre candidate status schools you should look it up.

There is always risk to attending new schools. The most notable case is Hawaii College of Pharmacy where students ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars and ended up with no degree when the school closed down.

Hawaii College of Pharmacy: http://www.studentdoctor.net/hawaii-college-of-pharmacy-event-timeline/
Midway College School of Pharmacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_College_School_of_Pharmacy

With West Coast University and Keck Graduate Institute opening this year, there won't be enough rotation sites for all students in LA/OC/Riverside counties. Even established pharmacy schools including USC are already having a hard time getting rotation spots for students; it's going to be even worse since you're coming from a new school and most rotation sites are not likely to sign new additional contracts with pharmacy schools, as the spots are already completely filled by students from existing contracts.

Last edited:

I'm actually focusing on the quality of education too. As stoichiometrist said, lack of rotation can be an issue too. It is absolutely your choice but if you have more than one option (new vs not-new school), I highly encourage you to take latter option.

There is always risk to attending new schools. The most notable case is Hawaii College of Pharmacy where students ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars and ended up with no degree when the school closed down.

Hawaii College of Pharmacy: http://www.studentdoctor.net/hawaii-college-of-pharmacy-event-timeline/
Midway College School of Pharmacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_College_School_of_Pharmacy

With West Coast University and Keck Graduate Institute opening this year, there won't be enough rotation sites for all students in LA/OC/Riverside counties. Even established pharmacy schools including USC are already having a hard time getting rotation spots for students; it's going to be even worse since you're coming from a new school and most rotation sites are not likely to sign new additional contracts with pharmacy schools, as the spots are already completely filled by students from existing contracts.

The pre candidate status and candidate statuses and all the checks and balances the new schools have to go through is in response to the fiasco that happened in HI. It was done to make sure that it didn't happen again. Since the board has been set up it hasn't happened since and it probably won't. Rotation sites is something that affects all schools not just the new ones so I won't hold that as a strike against them.

I received a phone call yesterday front the dean of the school, I was accepted into the fall 2015 class. :soexcited:
I write about the phone call and the interview on my blog http://futurepharmdstudent.tumblr.com
The interview day started at 8:30 (eat a big breakfast they only offer light snacks)
It began with an informational session about the school, Then we were split up into interview groups. I was in group 1. The interview was only 30 minutes. Review pharmacy school questions and This should be a breeze. The interviewers were two staff members.
After, there is an essay to write. they give you an hour to write it. I thought that was long however, my question was complicated and I needed the entire time. The only way to prepare for essay question is to watch the news. If I hadn't been watching the news AND had nutrition knowledge I would have been in trouble answering the question. Also, everyones questions is different.

I received a phone call yesterday front the dean of the school, I was accepted into the fall 2015 class. :soexcited:
I write about the phone call and the interview on my blog http://futurepharmdstudent.tumblr.com
The interview day started at 8:30 (eat a big breakfast they only offer light snacks)
It began with an informational session about the school, Then we were split up into interview groups. I was in group 1. The interview was only 30 minutes. Review pharmacy school questions and This should be a breeze. The interviewers were two staff members.
After, there is an essay to write. they give you an hour to write it. I thought that was long however, my question was complicated and I needed the entire time. The only way to prepare for essay question is to watch the news. If I hadn't been watching the news AND had nutrition knowledge I would have been in trouble answering the question. Also, everyones questions is different.
Hi, could you please tell what was your essay topic, and what kind of questions they ask you during the interview. Thanks so much !

Everyone had different essay questions. I spoke to two other people and their essays were different. Mine had to do with nutrition and implementations that can be made via the government to help people eat healthier. However, this doesn't help you because you might get a different essay. you have an hour to write the essay and it has to be two pages of information.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pre candidate status and candidate statuses and all the checks and balances the new schools have to go through is in response to the fiasco that happened in HI. It was done to make sure that it didn't happen again. Since the board has been set up it hasn't happened since and it probably won't. Rotation sites is something that affects all schools not just the new ones so I won't hold that as a strike against them.

I would not underestimate the difficulty of getting rotation sites. Most hospital preceptors already have contracts with existing schools and will not take students from schools with which they have not previously contracted. You are competing with not only students from established schools in the region (who usually get priority) but also students who attend out-of-state schools who wish to complete their rotations in Southern California.

I would not underestimate the difficulty of getting rotation sites. Most hospital preceptors already have contracts with existing schools and will not take students from schools with which they have not previously contracted. You are competing with not only students from established schools in the region (who usually get priority) but also students who attend out-of-state schools who wish to complete their rotations in Southern California.

IF I had to go out myself and find rotation sites I would be concerned. It is the school responsibility to do that. I tend to not worry about things that I have no control over. Losing sleep tonight isn't going to make rotation appear or disappear. So, I'll let the pharmacy schools worry about rotation sites and the quantity. In the mean time I'm going to concentrate on my studies.

I had my interview yesterday and they called me this morning and accepted me. The interview was only 30 minutes. I was very calm during this interview. They ask the basic question about pharmacy. Honestly, there wasn't anything that I was surprised by. However, you will have to defend why pharmacy compared to other professions.
my stats are here
http://futurepharmdstudent.tumblr.c...are-your-stats-for-applying-to-pharmay-school

I'm still waiting to hear back from two other schools then I'll make my decision. Good luck
Hi , I went to the interview too and I got accept ! Thanks so much for your help ! I think this school is great ! I'm on hold at Western University but if I need to decide I will go to West Coast . Also, why everybody is saying that West Coast PharmD program is expensive , is 167 000 dollars for whole 4 years program in Western for first year the program cost is 70 000 so, for 4 years this is 280000. Even though that they still are precandidate status I will go with them first is less expensive, and everything is brand new. I'm sure that they will have a big future in 2-3 years they will be much better than Western in Pomona . Yes, I will go with West Coast!

Those are some really bold statements.. lol

Reactions: 1 users
The $167k at West Coast does not include room and board. The $70k for the first year at Western does. Without room and board, the cost to attend Western is $46,745/year.

Even UCSD, a reputable, highly ranked school had their accreditation status on probation (although now restored to full accreditation) recently due to supposed lack of quality rotation sites. That is something you would want toconsider when you fork over about $170k to a school in an extremely saturated area.

Last edited:
I was having opportunities to compared both universities. The interview at West Coast was harder and the area is much better than Western. Also, the quality of West Coast is much better , the stuff is great and two Professors did my interview. The one of the Prof. was from Western in Pomona so, they know what they are doing. Don't try to manipulate people because people who did interview at Western didn't introduce themselves one is the student and one is some Professor ... They started the interview to ask me some basic questions and I didn't get a good expression about them from the first time ! I was feeling that they were there because they must be part of the admission committee. At West Coast they ask me more and they were so serious during the interview. I'm positive that the quality of the education at West Coast will be much higher than Western.

The $167k at West Coast does not include room and board. The $70k for the first year at Western does. Without room and board, the cost to attend Western is $46,745/year.

Even UCSD, a reputable, highly ranked school had their accreditation status on probation (although now restored to full accreditation) recently due to supposed lack of quality rotation sites. That is something you would want toconsider when you fork over about $170k to a school in an extremely saturated area.
I don't need to be charge for room and board because I live in 30 min away from them. Why Western charge the student for this ?

I don't need to be charge for room and board because I live in 30 min away from them. Why Western charge the student for this ?

Western does not require you to pay room and board. The $70k/year is an estimate that includes room and board. Otherwise, tuition alone is $46,745/year plus other fees.

Hello, has anyone else recently went for pharmacy interview at west coast university? How long did it take to get the acceptance call??

Hi! I went for interview also at west coast last Friday. How long did it take to ready receive the call from the dean? I'm a little anxious! :(
Hi , I went to the interview too and I got accept ! Thanks so much for your help ! I think this school is great ! I'm on hold at Western University but if I need to decide I will go to West Coast . Also, why everybody is saying that West Coast PharmD program is expensive , is 167 000 dollars for whole 4 years program in Western for first year the program cost is 70 000 so, for 4 years this is 280000. Even though that they still are precandidate status I will go with them first is less expensive, and everything is brand new. I'm sure that they will have a big future in 2-3 years they will be much better than Western in Pomona . Yes, I will go with West Coast!

Those tuition prices are insane, why would anyone think about doing that to themselves?

Almost 50k a year JUST for tuition? That is enough to pay for my entire cost of attendance...For TWO years.

You guys are being robbed.

Last edited:
Almost 50k a year JUST for tuition? That is enough to pay for my entire cost of attendance...For TWO years.

You guys are being robbed.

After the issue with Corinthian colleges, I'd think that people would avoid for-profit institutions but :meh:

my stats are here

hello could you please list what kind of questions they asked you ? and what was the written essay about ? i have an interview on nov 19th please help me by exposing the experience you had..
thank you

hello could you please tell me what kind of questions they asked you in the interview and how did you prepare for them , and what was the essay questions about (i have an interview on nov19th ) please help! thank you in advance

hello could you please tell me what kind of questions they asked you in the interview and how did you prepare for them , and what was the essay questions about (i have an interview on nov19th ) please help! thank you in advance

@donewithcosmo: YOu said that it questions about pharmacy. I'm wondering these are technical questions, for example how to fill prescription :/

For those who got accepted notification, did you get the phone call first or email or mail package?
I got my interview on March 7, and still waiting to hear back from the school .
Thankyou!

For those who got accepted notification, did you get the phone call first or email or mail package?
I got my interview on March 7, and still waiting to hear back from the school .
Thankyou!

Hi, first congrats for got into PharmD program. Then I would like to know when did you applied for west coast university? Do you know if they extend their deadline to July 1st???

I have an interview at west coast feb 23 2018. How's the school's accreditation status? N what sorta questions should I be expecting from them? Thanks.