The department used to be very strong with their first division chair moving to be chairman at U of Miami for 28 years and the first full time chair of the independent department became the chairman at NYU for 27 years. They mentored a generation of WVU students to go into anesthesiology when the specialty was ignored by American medical students including James Cottrell who was chairman at SUNY Downstate from 1979-2018. I could fill a page with noted anesthesiologists of the 1960's- 1980's who got their start in West Virginia. The department had fallen on recent hard times but seems to have found energy under a new chair.
Full disclosure. I grew up in WV and didn't marry my cousin.
😉 Entering medical school, I knew nothing about the specialty but the charisma and mentorship of their faculty helped me see the light. I left WV for residency and decided to come back in 2000 after 12 years. After a year, I left and never returned. WV is mostly populated on the periphery with the exception of Charleston which is centrally isolated.