West Virginia EM climate/jobs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TysonCook

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been searching online for West Virginia groups etc and haven't had a lot of luck.
1) Anyone know of any groups in WV that are large, or who works out of WVU?
2) What is the EM climate like in WV? Especially malpractice, pay etc?

I remember a while back it being one of the worst MedMal areas, but couldn't find if that has changed lately?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno anything about the climate there. I was upset with them though when I applied last year as most of my family lives about 60 miles away from Morgantown, WV and I emailed WVU to show expressed interest in their program. I got almost a prompt email that simply said I did not meet their criteria!

I was not a stellar candidate, but did get 13 interviews plus matched.... I couldn't have been that bad for the mountaineers to have not even really considered me!

I've moved on....

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno anything about the climate there. I was upset with them though when I applied last year as most of my family lives about 60 miles away from Morgantown, WV and I emailed WVU to show expressed interest in their program. I got almost a prompt email that simply said I did not meet their criteria!

I was not a stellar candidate, but did get 13 interviews plus matched.... I couldn't have been that bad for the mountaineers to have not even really considered me!

I've moved on....

They probably checked your GENETIC code, and you didn't meet their criteria. Not enough consanguinity.

In short- the climate is not very good. WV is one of the worst states for malpractice. On the plus side, everyone is very sick with lots of uncontrolled chronic disease. If you're into that...

They probably checked your GENETIC code, and you didn't meet their criteria. Not enough consanguinity.

LOL... no WV blood in me; my dads parents were from PA and MD.

I'm a Texan, although currently a member of (and contributing to) the new Fattest state in the Nation.....Mississippi. Its the sweet tea and bread pudding.

EMP has advertised that they're hiring for some small hospitals in WV.

Also, in the back of Annals the past few months there's been an ad for a new DO residency program in WV that's looking to hire faculty.

hmm, its discouraging to hear that WVU wasn't welcoming to you. i'm a third year right now, just got my step 1 score (good score), and i am very excited about WV, hoping i can get a chance to rotate there. i'm honestly extremely excited to move back to some mountains, and be around other kayakers and like-minded adventure junkies. unfortunately there is a dearth of programs in the west. and my impression is that WVU's flight program is very strong, which is what i am looking for in an EM residency.

anyone know a trick to get my foot in their door?

more background about me that some people here might already know:

i'm originally from alaska, undergrad at oregon state, grad at vandebilt, grad #2 univ. of washington, now i'm in columbia's international program in israel (The Medical School for International Health). so technically i'm an IMG so i have a little hurdle in that department. but i'm well trained, ACLS certified (yippie), i'm well lived, and i get along with people and work hard. please please let me end up near some mountains!!

thanks all!

Tyson ask me at work. I can probably make a phone call or email that will get you some good info.