West Virginia's 3rd pharmacy school gets precandidate status.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even stronger than nurses is the AMA. It literally is probably the most strongest institution in healthcare today. Why? Because they are extremely well organized and work in a system where they have much to offer in terms of patient care.

This is laughable. The majority of physicians aren't even members of the AMA.
 
The university I attended already had an accredited MBA program, so I don't think ACPE really had any say over that to begin with. AACP isn't an accrediting agency.

And why would anyone deliberately do MD/PharmD? I know people who've made the switch, but what's the utility of having both degrees?
I know the AACP isn't an accrediting body, I was just looking for information. So these programs are not separately accredited? Anyone can open up a dual program if they have the other degree? But what about the time compromise with certain classes? Shouldn't that be regulated somehow?
 
I know the AACP isn't an accrediting body, I was just looking for information. So these programs are not separately accredited? Anyone can open up a dual program if they have the other degree? But what about the time compromise with certain classes? Shouldn't that be regulated somehow?

I am not totally sure about the specifics, but I think the standards/regulation (if it exist) are probably dictated by the regional accrediting body that accredits the overall institution.

At my college, PharmD student still take all the MBA courses, but those MBA courses count for most of their pharmacy electives. I'm not sure that there IS a time compromise. I know some students don't finish the MBA on time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not totally sure about the specifics, but I think the standards/regulation (if it exist) are probably dictated by the regional accrediting body that accredits the overall institution.

At my college, PharmD student still take all the MBA courses, but those MBA courses count for most of their pharmacy electives. I'm not sure that there IS a time compromise. I know some students don't finish the MBA on time.

i have no time to compromise with the mba 😛
 
So now the Appalachian region is saturated. That pretty much shoots down the "go rural and you'll be saved" concept. It doesn't get much more rural than eastern kentucky or southern wv.
 
So now the Appalachian region is saturated. That pretty much shoots down the "go rural and you'll be saved" concept. It doesn't get much more rural than eastern kentucky or southern wv.

You haven't been to Caribou Maine have you....
 
Two new pharmacy schools in Maine now

I know....one of my previous hospitals was very involved with UNE and I objected...long story short the clinical manager who was involved is no longer with the hospital...mostly unrelated reasons.
 
Last edited:
And you haven't been to Papillion Nebraska have you....

Isn't that a suburb of Omaha near 2 major interstates? If so....I drove by it.

Caribou is at the end of the world pretty much. Seems like one way in and out.....

We are talking about rural....papillion NE is hardly rural.
 
Another issue with schools opening in rural areas is that students from urban areas flock to these new schools because they lack the competitiveness to be accepted by nearby in-state schools. Upon graduation, many of these students then move right back to their respective urban areas, further worsening the saturation situation.
 
Another issue with schools opening in rural areas is that students from urban areas flock to these new schools because they lack the competitiveness to be accepted by nearby in-state schools. Upon graduation, many of these students then move right back to their respective urban areas, further worsening the saturation situation.

You could have just said California. Would have saved you some time there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could have just said California. Would have saved you some time there.

I would definitely say California, but I'm pretty sure this happens with students from other states facing job saturation.

The Omaha area seems very vulnerable to saturation with its two schools (UNMC and Creighton) pumping out graduates in a metro of ~877,000 people, assuming that most people who graduate stay within the area.
 
This is laughable. The majority of physicians aren't even members of the AMA.


~30% of physicians are members of AMA. It doesn't take away from the fact that it is a powerful organization. Even try suggesting you are going to cut physican reimbursement rates and see how swift and brutal the response from AMA would be. Try and recommend pharmacist physican collaboration and see which organization is it most vocal opposer. Even behind the counter drugs suffer the same fate. If only the pharmacists had a powerful organization like that...
 
~30% of physicians are members of AMA. It doesn't take away from the fact that it is a powerful organization. Even try suggesting you are going to cut physican reimbursement rates and see how swift and brutal the response from AMA would be. Try and recommend pharmacist physican collaboration and see which organization is it most vocal opposer. Even behind the counter drugs suffer the same fate. If only the pharmacists had a powerful organization like that...

Yes, the AMA is so powerful, they have been able to successfully block reductions in physician reimbursement, encroachment of midlevel providers (especially CRNAs and NPs), pharmacist immunization, collaborative practice agreements, optometrist prescribing, and... OH WAIT. 🙄
 
Yes, the AMA is so powerful, they have been able to successfully block reductions in physician reimbursement, encroachment of midlevel providers (especially CRNAs and NPs), pharmacist immunization, collaborative practice agreements, optometrist prescribing, and... OH WAIT. 🙄

I said they were the strongest organization in healthcare today. That doesn't mean they get everything they want. Can you honestly name an organization that is stronger than the AMA. I still stand by my statement. I recently finished "Social transformation of American medicine" and it was really eye-opening what things the AMA has been reponsible f throughout the course of history.
 
Why is Steve banned?

We respect our member's privacy and do not share this information. 👍

Is it easy to get banned? I always appreciated Steve's real life experience

No, it is not easy to get banned. The only way to get banned is by violating the terms of service. No user (except spammers) gets banned without a discussion taking place in the mod forums. In general, regular users that end up banned only get banned after repeated infractions. 🙂
 
Free Steve!

The glove don't fit!


But seriously, I just looked at his past few posts, and I don't see anything ban-worthy. Nothing like the highly entertaining Steve "Cheech" Perry vs. Vale "Limbaugh" UC drug battles of last year.
 
I agree. Steve is entertaining and experienced. He is not afraid of political correctness BS either, I don't always agree with what he says but I like his style.. FREE STEVE.!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad