Western Alternates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radio2020

AVC Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright ...let the countdown to April 15th BEGIN! How many of us are there? I am so curious as to how many alternates there are.

Members don't see this ad.

I also belong in this group. Western is my top choice. Any idea how many alternates are on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how many, but i'm one of them... at least for now :).

Mailed in my confirmation of alternate today. Good luck guys!

Good Luck to you too! I will not be mailing mine back until next Monday since that is the earliest I can get to my mailbox. :rolleyes:

Good Luck to all alternates! Hopefully we can add some more SDNers to the class from the alternate list. :luck:

I'm an alternate as well... I took awhile to respond. Who else is an alternate out there... there has to be more. I wish we knew the exact numbers!

I'm an alternate as well... I took awhile to respond. Who else is an alternate out there... there has to be more. I wish we knew the exact numbers!

Are you able to call and ask what the numbers are? Not sure if they would tell you but its worth a shot!

Are you able to call and ask what the numbers are? Not sure if they would tell you but its worth a shot!

It may be worse if I know and may fuel my anxiety lol... but if someone else did it and I just happened to come across the information then so be it...

From what I've heard, Western does not rank alternates. If a person declines their seat, the dean goes through the whole alternate pool and find a candidate that closely matches the one that declined in terms of background, experience, etc. The selection process is more based on diversity I guess.

I am sorry to say but Western does not rank their alternates, and to be honest I don't think they go through and count them either. What ever students were ok'ed by the interview and their application but didn't quite have something that set them apart were most likely placed ont he alternate list.

When you get in (I am thinking positive for all of you)... you will appreciate the different backgrounds and educational diversity. It definitely makes sense for a PBL type program.

Good luck to you all! I hope all of you hear good news in a couple of weeks!

Hi,
First time on here :). I'm an alternate and from what I heard, there are approximately 300 something interviewed, about 100 accepted, about 100 on the waitlist and the other 100 rejected.

Hi,
First time on here :). I'm an alternate and from what I heard, there are approximately 300 something interviewed, about 100 accepted, about 100 on the waitlist and the other 100 rejected.

100! on the waitilst!? No way, I can't believe that. Where did you hear this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure 100 would be out of the norm for a waitlist. I think Ohio said they went through some 100 or so alternates last year, and Louisiana has a waitlist of 150 (though really it's not so much a waitlist as a 'we're gonna string you along til we know for sure we don't need you').

The way they pick applicants off the waitlist is odd to me, matching them to those who declined. They're basically designing their class. Not that that's wrong (it's their class after all), just seems odd. But then I reckon Western itself is an oddity comparatively.

Well, I'm declining my spot, so if you're a 5'11" male, weighing in at about 150 pounds, who likes classic rock, motorcycles, puppies, and the sound of rain outside, you're in!

Not sure 100 would be out of the norm for a waitlist. I think Ohio said they went through some 100 or so alternates last year, and Louisiana has a waitlist of 150 (though really it's not so much a waitlist as a 'we're gonna string you along til we know for sure we don't need you').

Well, I'm declining my spot, so if you're a 5'11" male, weighing in at about 150 pounds, who likes classic rock, motorcycles, puppies, and the sound of rain outside, you're in!

That sounds like quite the personal ad! :laugh:

Yeah, the matching isn't going to help me much. I just have to hope for some luck and that I stick out in that alternate pile. I should have bedazzled my supplemental application. DAMMIT.

I should have bedazzled my supplemental application. DAMMIT.

This may be slightly inappropriate but you reminded me of something that happened at work a few weeks ago. One of the vets I work for got this email about "vajazzling." She asked me if it was what she thought it was and I couldn't believe it. I won't go into the details here, but definitely google it. The things people do these days!:laugh:

Hi,
Since I'm new to SDN, can anyone tell me how to look up last year's thread for western alternates. I'm curious...
Thank you!

I was sitting in class this morning when I received an e-mail. It was from Western. It was an e-mail giving me more information about the school. :mad: I think they are purposely trying to make me more nervous than I already am. I can not wait until the 15th! Only 1 week left!!

Ugh I got that too. Clearly I don't need any more information on the school and would go if you would just LET ME IN. geez.

i got an email from western too! lol but im not on the alternate list so idk what that was about

The only reason I could see this being true, as Marc said, when they choose an alternate it is to replace one who declined. Therefore, it is possible that each person accepted has an alternate behind them already matched. Or even 25-50 alternates that have already been designated as someone's backup. The only sense I can make out of it! Good luck to all of you!!

what email did you guys get from western? That makes me nervous since I didn't get one :(.

what email did you guys get from western? That makes me nervous since I didn't get one :(.

It was just an e-mail giving us more information about the vet school at Western. It also gave us a day/time we could come for a tour and to visit the facilities so that we could get more info about the school. I believe the tour is basically the same thing we did on interview day just minus the interview. That was it. Just a basic e-mail with not much to it. If you would really like to see it you can PM me and I can forward it to you.

Thank you! Thats okay. I dont need to see it :).

The only reason I could see this being true, as Marc said, when they choose an alternate it is to replace one who declined. Therefore, it is possible that each person accepted has an alternate behind them already matched. Or even 25-50 alternates that have already been designated as someone's backup. The only sense I can make out of it! Good luck to all of you!!

This is NOT true... the Dr. Nelson goes back over all the applicants again. Thats why no one knows until after the 15th because he does it all at once. So say there is 25 people that decline he will only need to go through the pile once vs. 25 times... I know this because he told me last year how he does it.

...forgot to mention... I am not sure how many are on the waitlist this year but here is how it works....

If you get an interview you are considered as passing the initial file review (grades, activities, etc),basically if you look good on paper you get invited for an interview ( there are certain red flags that they look for when reviewing the applications), soooo...interview day... if you are a good person, can answer the questions, handle the stress, have the characteristics (personality) that they are looking for then you get sent on for the Dean's review (they are also looking for red flags at this point as well), if a candidate is given two stars (one from each interviewer then the file is passed, if the file is given two or more stars (the interviewers can add stars) then you get put into a special file (you want in that file); so the dean then looks at the files and picks the well rounded class one who he feels can get along with everyone else etc.... if you make it into the special file you are in if you don't make it in that pile then you are on the waitlist... if you didn't get two stars at the interview stage you were rejected without the dean looking at the file.

It is a complex process and this is as simple as I could make it. I hope it helps explain why nobody knows how many applicants are left out of the initial interviewing... I can't remember how many ended up interviewing but the waitlist would be less than 100 people at this point because I think they interviewed around 200 (approx 100 got accepted, some declined, some weren't even considered after the interview, and then what is left is the waitlist kids)

Last edited:
That is similar to how I have heard it described in the past, but this makes more sense. I knew that the interviews were basically pass/fail, but it is nice to know that there was more depth to it than a simple +/-! Thanks for clarifying!

Hi,
I was just reading threads from the previous year and it looks like Western for the past 2 years didnt contact anyone on the 15th. It looks like they didnt start contacting people until around the 26th of April, or at least thats when the first SDNer who was on the waitlist posted. Does anyone know any different?
Goodness! This means more waiting!

That is correct. They want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to respond and get conformation via mail etc. Then they still have to go through the process of choosing a new candidate from the pile of applications. So yes the deadline for students to send in their yes or no's is the 16th but they allow so many days for the mail etc. I would give it about two weeks before anyone hears anything different, possibly sooner than that but I wouldn't count on it.

That is correct. They want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to respond and get conformation via mail etc. Then they still have to go through the process of choosing a new candidate from the pile of applications. So yes the deadline for students to send in their yes or no's is the 16th but they allow so many days for the mail etc. I would give it about two weeks before anyone hears anything different, possibly sooner than that but I wouldn't count on it.

That is weird. According to the book we got on the interview day it stated that acceptance/denial of offered positions needs to be received by the 15th (not a mailed by date). So, I would guess that they would wait for the mail coming in on the 15th and possibly today and then start looking through the alternate list. So maybe we will hear by Monday or even later next week. Maybe I could be wrong (or just hopefull thinking), but they also sent the same thing in their alternate FAQ's that they just sent a few days ago.

western FAQ said:
you could be offered a seat between April 15th and August. We request that applicants respond to our offer of acceptance by April 15th. If, at that time, there are seats still available, we will review the alternate pool and offer admission to the appropriate number of alternates needed to fill the class. If the class is full on April 15th, the alternate pool will remain unchanged unless someone in the class gives up their seat (which does happen).

DVMDream, when did you receive the email containing alternate FAQ's? Did everyone else on the alternate list receive it? When I read your post, I searched all of my folders (even junk mail and trash) in my email. Nothing. I hope I wasn't forgotten about (as I was with Iowa ... don't even get me started).

However, I did receive that pointless email about the tour, info session a couple weeks ago. Weird?

DVMDream, when did you receive the email containing alternate FAQ's? Did everyone else on the alternate list receive it? When I read your post, I searched all of my folders (even junk mail and trash) in my email. Nothing. I hope I wasn't forgotten about (as I was with Iowa ... don't even get me started).

This question was not directed at me, but I got the FAQs on April 12 (I can post what the email said if you want me to.)

I replied to the FAQs email asking how many alternates had been offered admission off the alternate list in the past couple of years.

The response was, "I really depends on how many applicants decline our offer. We won't have an actual count of alternates exhausted until after April 15, 2010 their deadline. Once we are able to see how many seats are needed to fill the class we'll use the alternates to fill in these seats. This year we have about 50-60 an the listing."

I copy and pasted that response from my email...I still cant quite decipher it. Anyone want to take a stab at it? 50-60 what?

The response was, "I really depends on how many applicants decline our offer. We won't have an actual count of alternates exhausted until after April 15, 2010 their deadline. Once we are able to see how many seats are needed to fill the class we'll use the alternates to fill in these seats. This year we have about 50-60 an the listing."

I copy and pasted that response from my email...I still cant quite decipher it. Anyone want to take a stab at it? 50-60 what?

I think it means there are 50-60 applicants on the alternate list

I think it means there are 50-60 applicants on the alternate list

That was my initial thought, I just wasn't sure because the FAQ sheet Western sent out said they usually have between 75-115 on the alternate list.

But I think you are right.

It was just an e-mail giving us more information about the vet school at Western. It also gave us a day/time we could come for a tour and to visit the facilities so that we could get more info about the school. I believe the tour is basically the same thing we did on interview day just minus the interview. That was it. Just a basic e-mail with not much to it. If you would really like to see it you can PM me and I can forward it to you.

I actually received that email, too. The email said it was sent to me because I had requested information from them. Like three or four years ago...

eta, because you can't actually read my mind: Just fyi, I didn't apply to Western at all.

Last edited:

However, I did receive that pointless email about the tour, info session a couple weeks ago. Weird?

I also received that e-mail on 4/12.

That was my initial thought, I just wasn't sure because the FAQ sheet Western sent out said they usually have between 75-115 on the alternate list.

But I think you are right.

I am so glad you posted what you found out on here, thank you. I also think that means that there are 50-60 alternates on the list. I was kind of disappointed when I read the 75-115 on the FAQ's. But, some people do decline their alternate positions so maybe that is what dropped the list down to 50-60 and hopefully that means there are a decent number of people that also declined their acceptances (at least I hope so). Good Luck everyone! :luck:

I'm really hoping we get some good news this week... I know with finals coming up I'm going to be an even bigger wreck than I have been. I'm sending positive thoughts to everyone! ;)

I realllly want to know when they are going to start calling people from the alternate list...
Couldn't they just tell us that much?

hey alternates, i declined my spot at Western. Hopefully one of you get it! :)

That is weird. According to the book we got on the interview day it stated that acceptance/denial of offered positions needs to be received by the 15th (not a mailed by date). So, I would guess that they would wait for the mail coming in on the 15th and possibly today and then start looking through the alternate list. So maybe we will hear by Monday or even later next week. Maybe I could be wrong (or just hopefull thinking), but they also sent the same thing in their alternate FAQ's that they just sent a few days ago.

This is how they have done it the past two years. The people who called in was given the information that I posted. The information sent out in the FAQ's is just a guideline that they send out and can vary. Last year the people in the admission's office was telling everyone that they had to have the mailing date of April 15, and then some people were told that they contacted people who did not respond one way or another to find out a yes or a no.

This is how they have done it the past two years. The people who called in was given the information that I posted. The information sent out in the FAQ's is just a guideline that they send out and can vary. Last year the people in the admission's office was telling everyone that they had to have the mailing date of April 15, and then some people were told that they contacted people who did not respond one way or another to find out a yes or a no.

It would make sense to contact people that they had not heard from, I guess, why can't it just be if you snooze, you lose? Ok..I am not that mean, usually. :smuggrin:

:(.... I really just want to know. I guess it doesn't matter when but the sooner the better. Oh well, I guess I will get some info. eventually. I have to admit that everytime this thread jumps up it gives me a heart attack. At least I am being kept on my toes in anticipation. :rolleyes:

I honestly thought the same thing and I wasn't even on the waitlist. My reaction was I didn't want a bunch of procrastinators in my class!

Oh well, best of luck to you!

Just to encourage you all, I know three people who have turned down Western spots, and 1 who will decline if she gets called off the waitlist at her top choice.

Good luck all!

Just to encourage you all, I know three people who have turned down Western spots, and 1 who will decline if she gets called off the waitlist at her top choice.

Good luck all!

Thanks, cowgirla!! That gives me some more hope. I am just curious as to how much Western overaccepts since I know they do. I am also kind of wondering how long they will make us wait before they give us any info. I really hope that once the class is full they will at least e-mail us so those who did not get in can move on and make other plans.

Maybe mdnghtdnc might now how many are overaccepted at western. Have any idea or heard anything mdnghtdnc?

Thanks, cowgirla!! That gives me some more hope. I am just curious as to how much Western overaccepts since I know they do. I am also kind of wondering how long they will make us wait before they give us any info. I really hope that once the class is full they will at least e-mail us so those who did not get in can move on and make other plans.

I'm pretty sure it was at Western that I heard of a student being called one week before orientation or during orientation week because a spot opened up. I think she dropped everything and got on the next plane to cali and had her stuff shipped over.

I'm pretty sure it was at Western that I heard of a student being called one week before orientation or during orientation week because a spot opened up. I think she dropped everything and got on the next plane to cali and had her stuff shipped over.

That is what I am afraid of. Having to jump up and leave at the. last. minute. But, if it happens I will take it! I will just have to drive over (hopefully I will be able to find a place to live on short notice) and then have my parents bring everything the following weekend, no big deal. I am hoping for the waitlist to start moving either tomorrow or Monday. :xf:
Good Luck to everyone else in the waiting boat!! :luck:

Hey everyone, I believe they over accept by about 20 students... This changes from year to year though... Our class ended up being 110 students so the following year they only over accepted by about 10 or 15. I haven't herd anyone say for sure.

Our class had two people that dropped out during orientation week. One person was brought in during orientation week and the other was during week 2. It does happen with any school, so there is still a min chance of being accepted at the beginning of August.

If you look back at the previous waitlist threads, it may give you an idea of when you will hear the initial info. I don't remember, and wasn't really paying attention at that point, because I wasn't on the waitlist for Western.