Western Alternates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am slowly going crazy... it probably doesn't help that I'm sick and cold meds make me brain-fogged anyway, but I'm really starting to get anxious/nervous. Who thinks it'll be this week?? It's already the 25th... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I am slowly going crazy... it probably doesn't help that I'm sick and cold meds make me brain-fogged anyway, but I'm really starting to get anxious/nervous. Who thinks it'll be this week?? It's already the 25th... :scared:

I do. Last year someone got an e-mail on the 27th at around 1PM. So, I think we could possibly start to hear either tomorrow or Tuesday. Good Luck!! :luck:

I do. Last year someone got an e-mail on the 27th at around 1PM. So, I think we could possibly start to hear either tomorrow or Tuesday. Good Luck!! :luck:

Do you think they're going to email instead of call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to make this thread jump. Has anyone heard from Western today? I sent Jeanene an email asking her if she had any idea when the list would start moving and her response was... "I don't know? Good luck!!"

Um, thanks. I'm dying over here.

Sorry to make this thread jump. Has anyone heard from Western today? I sent Jeanene an email asking her if she had any idea when the list would start moving and her response was... "I don't know? Good luck!!"

Um, thanks. I'm dying over here.

:laugh: Thanks for the heart attack. I do not think Jeanene would know anything I think the one who sends out acceptances and waitlists is Karen and I believe that she is the only one who partakes in any of the decisions or knows where they are at in the process. I am really hoping that things start moving today as this is around the same time they started moving last year. Good Luck!! :luck:

Right... Jeanene is the "student coordinator" for the letter of my last name and was listed as an alternate contact to Karen. I've sent 2 emails to Karen in the past and she hadn't responded to either of them. Thought I'd try somebody different.

I've been obsessively checking my email today. Totally ridiculous. Good luck to you and everyone else waiting as well.

Right... Jeanene is the "student coordinator" for the letter of my last name and was listed as an alternate contact to Karen. I've sent 2 emails to Karen in the past and she hadn't responded to either of them. Thought I'd try somebody different.

I've been obsessively checking my email today. Totally ridiculous. Good luck to you and everyone else waiting as well.

Lol! Thanks. Too bad Karen hasn't responded yet but I bet she is busy and has probably been hounded by e-mails. It is so nerve-wracking waiting, but if I end up getting in it will be well worth it. I am soo bad with the e-mail thing...I have my e-mails being sent to my phone so even if I am away from my computer I will know as soon as I get the e-mail! I have my fingers crossed for you and everyone else here on SDN and still waiting. :xf:

I have good news for you waitlisters! As much as a i hate to say it I will be declining my seat at Western. I'm hoping someone from sdn gets it!

I emailed Karen yesterday, and this is what I had in my inbox after I got home from work this evening:

"The class is currently full. I am unsure as to if and when any movement in the class will occur. I wish you the best of luck in the coming months!"

REALLY?! That many people accepted immediate offers from them? Anyone else want to confirm this? LAME.

:( That does suck. I thought for sure that they would move into their waitlist at least a little bit. Maybe once more schools start accepting people after May 1st more people will decline Western and the waitlist will start moving then. In the meantime, time to start on this year's application. :scared:

ETA/OT/slight vent: I really wish it would stop snowing around here. I am ready for the cold and wind to go away.

Oh my gosh.....really?!?
Does that mean there were no alternates taken off the list??

I will probably call tomorrow to see if I get a different response. Clearly not everyone that is accepted belongs to SDN, but just by the number of members that turned their offers down, I am shocked that they didn't even move through the list. I was really hoping considering how $$ it is, people weren't as crazy as me to go that far into debt. Wishful thinking haha. Well, here's to MORE waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
It could be that more people than there are seats accepted offers. Also, I know of at least a few people who got off of other waitlists that are either declining western now or might be.

It could be that more people than there are seats accepted offers. Also, I know of at least a few people who got off of other waitlists that are either declining western now or might be.

I think this is what might bappen into the next couple of months. So do not give up all hope yet. For now though I am focusing on getting more varying experience (I start volunteering with horses in a little over a week) then once I get my work schedule I will start calling/stopping by equine clinics to see about shadowing 1-2 times a week and I will start to study to re-take the (insert expletive here) GRE. :smuggrin: So I am hoping that I can keep myself busy enough this summer to not really focus on being on the waitlist and hopefully just by moving on I might get a decent surprise and get called off the waitlist but at least I will not be wasting time just waiting for that call/e-mail.

Its just surprising that noone from SDN got called off the waitlist. In the last couple years, its seems like there were at least a couple SDNers announcing their good news- being taken off the waitlist. This cant be the first year noone from SDN did not get in off alternate status.

I'm hoping you're right and there are people waiting to hear on May1st and more spots will open up :).

I think this is what might bappen into the next couple of months. So do not give up all hope yet. For now though I am focusing on getting more varying experience (I start volunteering with horses in a little over a week) then once I get my work schedule I will start calling/stopping by equine clinics to see about shadowing 1-2 times a week and I will start to study to re-take the (insert expletive here) GRE. :smuggrin: So I am hoping that I can keep myself busy enough this summer to not really focus on being on the waitlist and hopefully just by moving on I might get a decent surprise and get called off the waitlist but at least I will not be wasting time just waiting for that call/e-mail.

I am so bummed for you all that Western is full up.

DVMDream I was especially hoping to congratulate you after all your wonderful support for everyone, literally everyone, on SDN. Hope you have a great year and you get multiple offers next year!

Here's to the thought of pleasant surprises....;)

I will probably call tomorrow to see if I get a different response. Clearly not everyone that is accepted belongs to SDN, but just by the number of members that turned their offers down, I am shocked that they didn't even move through the list. I was really hoping considering how $$ it is, people weren't as crazy as me to go that far into debt. Wishful thinking haha. Well, here's to MORE waiting...

This is how I feel about Western and Kansas! I was really hoping that one of these schools would pull through, but now both are saying their class is full. I think the waitlist will move somewhat as people get called off other waitlists into other, less expensive schools. But it's debatable how much it will move since a lot of other schools have full classes as well

DVMDream I was especially hoping to congratulate you after all your wonderful support for everyone, literally everyone, on SDN. Hope you have a great year and you get multiple offers next year!

Here's to the thought of pleasant surprises....;)

Thanks startingoverVet! I am actually kind of looking forward to the next cycle. I think I was kind of mis-informed about the WICHE process and had not done much research on some of the schools I had applied to (just applied to them because they were WICHE and who doesn't like cheaper tuition/better chances of being accepted than just a normal OOS applicant?) So, I am looking forward to picking schools that I think I will connect with and applying to them; I am also looking forward to getting more experiences over the upcoming year. So, all in all, I think that not getting accepted this year was probably for the best. There is always something else I can learn/do. Although, I will be absolutely thrilled if I do end up getting that unexpected surprise (I will not even have to post it here if that happens because the entire world will hear me screaming/cheering). :)

I was hoping to congratulate you too!!! Such a bummer. I think that there was something similar going on at Western last year based on some SDN threads that I read. Like someone got called off the waitlist, but when someone else called Western, they said that they hadn't touched the waitlist...but I'm not 100% clear on the details. In any case, good luck for next cycle :luck:. VMCAS opens really soon :).

I guess this was just a very competitive cycle, seeing how estimates for both KSU and western have been...not very good. Anyways, all I can do is hope for you guys. :luck:
Oh and not trying to give false hope or anything, but Mizzou told me their class was full. However, the dean wanted to add a few extra people so I got called off, so you never know. :oops:

Last edited:
Oooh-

I'm sending good vibes to everyone on the Western wait-list. I'm glad I got rejected straight out instead of waiting! I can't stand waiting!

Good luck everyone!

This is craaazy. So they already extended alternate offers and now they or full or do you think they were full bc they over-offered? Bc if that's the case that is insane with all the people that have said they are declining, and thats just on SDN. I am so discouraged. :(

My question is, since Western, like Oklahoma, did the 'we're going to over offer and extort money out of you via a deposit to generate fear of losing your spot' maneuver, how many people got the shaft and are out of their deposit, who still didn't get in due to them filling up so fast?

My question is, since Western, like Oklahoma, did the 'we're going to over offer and extort money out of you via a deposit to generate fear of losing your spot' maneuver, how many people got the shaft and are out of their deposit, who still didn't get in due to them filling up so fast?

yea, i hated that...i didn't think that they could do that!

did everyone see the email from Karen about the tuition fees for 2010-2011?

Yes, it made my heart stop. Arrrrg

Was this a corrupt email? For me, all I could view was a bunch of character symbols.

In other news... I received an email offer from Michigan State today. A complete surprise I was not expecting. I'm thrilled and will be taking this opportunity, permitting it wasn't a mistake (haha :laugh:). I still LOVE LOVE LOVE Western, but I can't pass down the opportunity to be closer to family. Assuming all of the MSU paperwork goes through, I will be taking my name off of the Western wait list. Good luck to all of you!!

Was this a corrupt email? For me, all I could view was a bunch of character symbols.

In other news... I received an email offer from Michigan State today. A complete surprise I was not expecting. I'm thrilled and will be taking this opportunity, permitting it wasn't a mistake (haha :laugh:). I still LOVE LOVE LOVE Western, but I can't pass down the opportunity to be closer to family. Assuming all of the MSU paperwork goes through, I will be taking my name off of the Western wait list. Good luck to all of you!!

Congrats, JNR!!! I have been waiting for you to get in somewhere with three waitlists the odds were in your favor!! CONGRATS!! :soexcited:

Thanks guys! I'm rooting for you! :)

Just had to bump this thread.....I thought we would hear by end of April....anyone have any ideas?

Someone asked them last week and got back an e-mail saying that the class was full. So I am not sure when or even if we will hear anything from them. Good Luck to you! I hope the list will start moving. :xf::luck:

I just got an email back from Karen officially removing me from the class. So...there's a seat open!! Unless they oversat the class???

Pretty sure they oversat the class. I called the other day to schedule my application review and asked if the class was full and she said it was. So either no one of SDN received an alternate spot and they got their emails/calls/whatever offering them a spot and we don't know about it (which I find hard to believe) or they oversat the class by who knows how many and they are full even with people declining. Cool, huh?

Hi,

I spoke to Karen this afternoon and she said that the class was full and she's not sure if any spots will open up. She said if they do, an alternate will be notified by email of their acceptance..

She also said they did take people off the waitlist last year, but so far, if I'm not mistaken and heard her correctly, she said they haven't taken anyone off this year.

Who knows.. I was reading the 2008 western alternate "blog" and it looked like people were called off the waitlist in May. Wishful thinking :).

Hi Everyone,

I just got offered a seat at Western :D! I got an email 9am this morning! Hope everyone else on SDN is offered a seat as well!

Good luck everyone! I'm sure that means people who heard back on May 1st have declined their seats at Western. I'm sure more spots have opened up!

I bet that was my seat! YES!!!! Congrats!!!! I'm just glad someone from SDN got it

Congrats prevet10! Will you be accepting the offer?

I'm so glad to hear Western's waitlist is moving. I have a friend of mine on the waitlist that I am really hoping will get in.

Yayyy congrats... glad to know it's moving... hoping i'm next!! (and all the other SDN'ers of course :) )

Thanks natalieises!! I'm sure that was your seat they offered me!! and I will be accepting the offer :). I still cant believe I'm going to be a vet!

Hope all SDNers will get in off the waitlist!! Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you! :xf:

How crazy is that...one day they tell u the class is full then a few days later they offer you a seat! Well congrats and welcome aboard. Join our facebook group (the link is posted on the western acceptances thread)

Congrats prevet10 on your acceptance!! :soexcited: It is great to know that they are actually dipping into the waitlist....hopefully more of us SDNers will get off!! Congrats again!!! :woot:

How crazy is that...one day they tell u the class is full then a few days later they offer you a seat! Well congrats and welcome aboard. Join our facebook group (the link is posted on the western acceptances thread)

Don't lose hope just yet. Two weeks ago I was informed by Karen that Western's class was full. The next day, I had a file review with Michigan State and they said I was a long shot. At that point, I was getting pretty depressed lol. Three days later, I was called off the wait list at Michigan. So... you never know what can happen. Good luck to those of you still waiting! :)

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster....I'm not applying to vet school but two people I know have applied numerous times. I've been lurking here ever since to find hints on how to help them out....two days ago....BOTH got accepted off the waitlist(= 2) soo don't give up hope. Good luck to you all. Stay persistent guys!