Western and CSPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyFeet3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to SDN and I'm just looking for feedback/personal opinion on my situation. I was recently accepted into Western, but denied from CSPM. I received a different feel from both programs while interviewing and I was leaning towards CSPM before I was notified that I was denied. During my interview, I received advice from a faculty member (retake the MCAT and take an anatomy class) and I would have a much better shot at getting into CSPM next cycle. So I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to try next cycle for CSPM or go to Western Fall 2013. I know there's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just looking for opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools are have great programs. The way I see it, unless you are dead set on going to CSPM, my personal opinion is to matriculate this year and start your education. Waiting an extra year to start your career will cost you a years worth of income at the end of your career, which could be significant. Is it worth 150 thousand dollars to wait? I might be if you are not going to be happy living in Southern California. Western has a great program, but very challenging. I am a current student at Western, so if you have any questions about the program or living in Southern California, you can PM me.

yes but westerns program is also BRUTAL and merciless. expect at least 1/3 of your class to be gone. not that I'm making any assumptions about your academic abilities. but statistically, there is a higher chance of surviving cspm than western.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes but westerns program is also BRUTAL and merciless. expect at least 1/3 of your class to be gone. not that I'm making any assumptions about your academic abilities. but statistically, there is a higher chance of surviving cspm than western.

I personally liked CSPM way more then Western. But in your case you don't have much choice, so work harder. Its not going to get any easier. Why waste a year, just cause you think its a bit tougher lol. Don't waste year unless you are going to be doing something worth while or want break before going to college.

Go to Western, it would be a waste of time to take a year off.

Regardless if one school is "easier" than another we all have to sit for the same boards and we ultimately get the same degree.

Valid points made all around. However, if you wait a year in between, one perk would be that you're providing an extra year of cushion in regards to the hope that the residency situation will be all ironed out by graduation time. It's not that big of a deal if you're doing something productive. Unless you're an older, non-trad who has no time to waste, set yourself on whats going to make you most content in the long run.

Go for the one you want or you won't be happy in the end. Go Western

Last edited:
I wasn't terribly impressed with Western or the facilities. However, what broke it for me were the podiatry students who were leading us around and giving us the tour. They seemed bored and were relatively quiet compared to the tour guides in my other interviews.

If you can't get excited over your program, how do you expect me to?

I was accepted to both CSPM and Western and I personally liked Western's Program and the students I had were very friendly, even with having a test the same day as the tour. I asked the students how they felt and they said that they were happy with their choice of school, however they did say the program was very tough. I'd prefer a tougher program as it will only make me a better podiatrist and I like being challenged so that is my school of choice.

If you want an easy 'A' go CSPM, if you want to work hard for your 'A' go Western.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want an easy 'A' go CSPM, if you want to work hard for your 'A' go Western.

Really? I suppose the CSPM students who've lost their scholarships, or had to withdraw or repeat this past year must have missed your memo. I'll pass on the good news.

Well it's finals time. Need to get back to studying for those easy A's :rolleyes:

Really? I suppose the CSPM students who've lost their scholarships, or had to withdraw or repeat this past year must have missed your memo. I'll pass on the good news.

Well it's finals time. Need to get back to studying for those easy A's :rolleyes:

How many times have you had professors tell you what the questions will be before that exam? How many of your tests repeat the same questions every year and most people have copies of what they are? How many times do you professors "hint" about certain topics?

I have friends at both schools and they all sing a completely different tune when it comes to tests and grades. My CSPM friends tell me how easy it is and that the professors sometimes give you the questions. My Western friends talk about how hard every test is and the professors don't give you hints -they expect you to know everything.

There is also a reason why students who fail out of Western go to CSPM.

My point is CSPM is a much easier curriculum than Western.

There are so many errors in your post I could write a page in response. But I won't. Just be happy with your education at Western (or whatever school you go to) and don't feel the need to trash other schools to elevate yourself. It's not a good look.

Last edited:
Ahhh, rumor mills.

I remember when I was just starting 2nd year. I talked to a 3rd year student at the time. I asked him about a certain course which he responded was "the easiest course of 2nd year, really you will get an A. It's not that hard."

Guess which course was the hardest of 2nd year and my lowest grade in pod school? Yep.

That's the last time I took advice from someone else's opinion to modify my decisions/choices. I know I said you should go to Western earlier. But it's really up to you. Both schools lead to the same degree. There are also 7 other schools out there to choose from.

There are so many errors in your post I could write a page in response. But I won't. Just be happy with your education at Western (or whatever school you go to) and don't feel the need to trash other schools to elevate yourself. It's not a good look.

No trash. Sorry your so uptight about it.

From everything that I have heard about the 2 schools, Western seems like a much harder curriculum than CSPM - I think it is important for the op to consider.

I will be going to CSPM next fall and really excited. I have heard Western is tough, but don't let that be the reason - if you like the program. At the end of the day we all need to take the same exact exams to get licensed. Its all hear-say - one person tough, is another persons easy.

Plus I highly doubt any school is an easy "A"... I would not doubt if you put forth your best effort, and work hard you will pass any program.

Its probably not much different in undergrad, I had some prof that gave no clue to what was going to be on the test, and had to try and power through 15 chapters for a final. I had other prof that would give hints to what they felt were the important take aways (aka they probably will test). It was your job to go home and know that material. There will always be people not willing to do the work even if the prof throws them a bone. I'm sure western will have those type of prof as well on both extremes.

I'm really late on this post but thanks all for the input and feedback. It definitely came down to the wire but I ended up choosing Western. Definitely looking forward to it and working with everyone on here in the future..

I'm really late on this post but thanks all for the input and feedback. It definitely came down to the wire but I ended up choosing Western. Definitely looking forward to it and working with everyone on here in the future..

Good for you. Plus, professors change all the time, sometimes every two years so an "easy class" could turn into a "hard class" and vis versa from year to year depending on what professor is teaching it.

Good for you. Plus, professors change all the time, sometimes every two years so an "easy class" could turn into a "hard class" and vis versa from year to year depending on what professor is teaching it.

That reminds me, expect no less that 4-5 different professors for each class at Western. Some classes have gone up to 10+ different professors, each lecturing on something they specialize in.

That reminds me, expect no less that 4-5 different professors for each class at Western. Some classes have gone up to 10+ different professors, each lecturing on something they specialize in.

So is this a good or bad thing?

So is this a good or bad thing?

I dont think its a bad thing. You get a person with a PhD/MD teaching you what they got their PhD in or MD specialty. The only downside is you can never predict what an exam will be like. Every exam is written by new professor(s).

Hello all,

I'm new to SDN and I'm just looking for feedback/personal opinion on my situation. I was recently accepted into Western, but denied from CSPM. I received a different feel from both programs while interviewing and I was leaning towards CSPM before I was notified that I was denied. During my interview, I received advice from a faculty member (retake the MCAT and take an anatomy class) and I would have a much better shot at getting into CSPM next cycle. So I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to try next cycle for CSPM or go to Western Fall 2013. I know there's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just looking for opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Hey can I ask what you got on the mcat for cspm to deny you?

I dont think its a bad thing. You get a person with a PhD/MD teaching you what they got their PhD in or MD specialty. The only downside is you can never predict what an exam will be like. Every exam is written by new professor(s).
:thumbup:

From the above discussion, people seem to say that CSPM has "easier A".
Does CSPM prepare students adequately for their rotation, board exams, and residency?

Also, since Western and CSPM are two of the three POD schools I am applying to.
Could you share why you prefer CSPM over Western?

I chose CSPM over Western for many reasons.

Firstly, I met more enthusiastic CSPM students. During the interview, the CSPM students were much more excited to sell me the school. Most importantly though, during CSPM's three day workshop, I met two transfers who completed a year at Western and then transferred to CSPM. They said it was the best decision they had ever made, even though they had to repeat a year. They said the level of difficulty was comparable, but Western was disorganized and treated the pod students as second class citizens, after the DO students.

Secondly, clinical rotations start second year. Anyone can tell you that on the job training can be more important than didactics. The earlier you experience rotations the better. You still have a full course load while doing rotations so second year is the hardest year at CSPM. Third year still has classes too.

Lastly, CSPM has alumni connections. For almost a hundred years CSPM was the only pod School on the west Coast. Shadow any DPM in California and 80% chance they will be from CSPM (CCPM before the name change).

Also, I want to clear up the easy A notion. Any pod school is going to be very difficult. I'm not sure how many A's are give out at western, but I can tell you how many A's are given out at CSPM during the first year which I have just completed. Getting A's at CSPM is doable, but requires a ton of dedication. From the grade distributions posted I would estimate the average first year GPA around a B+ average. Some classes are extremely difficult to get an A in, and even a B in. Classes like public health are easier, which is 1 unit (out of 23 second semester and therefore pretty insignificant), it's like any social science class undergrad, and if you remember undergrad social science classes they are easier to get an A in than science classes. Maybe someone can share the grading distribution of Western, I am actually curious.

Reactions: 1 users