Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 12 days left till COMLEX. Congrats on making OMS-III though... I'm definitely not used to it. Gotta pass this thing first!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe it is almost over..and I am OUTTA LA...

Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!

Late night insomnia kicks ass. At least I don't have an exam tomorrow, just a really early-morning round of golf before I get back to doing a lot of practice Q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to bring this back again....

How the hell is everyone doing???

Hurrah.. I'm still alive.. and sleepy too. Need sleep!

Sleepy??? Boards are over...what is the deal?

Will this thread ever DIE?? Reminds me of the Eagles HotelCalifornia "they stab it w their steely knives but they just cant kill the beast"

Anyways, rotations are a trip. So much responsibility. So little time. Good luck reading anything. Paging residents, attendings at 10pm is SOO much fun. :p

and the Romanian Maffia rises from their secret hiding...I am pondering a link between them and the alleged Kobe Assasin....hmmmm

Any comments from the COMP peanut gallery??

we know who you are....

mmmmmm......peeeeeanuts....huhuhuuhuhuhuhuhhuhuhhhuhuh

Two peanuts were walking in the park....and one was assaulted?

As I fondly recall Pomona...it could be either park...or more realistically BOTH!

It is more than easy to remain in SoCal for all of your rotations....I would say a good 80-85% of my class remained in the SoCal area without a problem....
They do a lottery in the spring...and you can get your rotations that way...which is what most people do...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to westernu and wanted to know what current students thought about it, not just the two I talked to on interview day. I am kind-of overwhelmed at the choices I have to make, and thought I would try asking some of the many questions I have on this thread- any advice would be appreciated!

I was wondering if the average student had a significant commute to campus, or if they lived near enough to walk.

If COMP's board scores/match rates are high relative to other schools (or where I could find this information?)

If you can do international rotations?

If students were satisfied with the administration of the school- is it flexible?

Any complaints/things you wish you had known before?

I just wanted to throw this out there- Thanks for any advice, once again.

-jbernet1

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Just to let you know, I am currently a third year student at COMP.

Board scores for COMLEX range from one class to the next. They've been in the mid 90 percentile and they've been as low as the mid/upper 80 percentile. Most recently, I believe our COMLEX pass rate for the 2005 class in June was something like 93% which is right around the national average (I think).

Unfortunately, I don't readily have information to match results although doing an internet search may prove to be useful for some older classes' match results. You may also be able to acquire a list of match results from previous years by calling up the school. I do know that some of our graduates go to highly reputable residency programs. A lot of this depends on each individual student's performance throughout their medical school career. There are opportunities to go to some great institutions for residency training.

You are allowed to do either a research or international rotation during the fourth year. There are also several elective rotations available for students to setup rotations wherever they want in anticipation of interviewing at certain sites.

As far as travel time goes, it depends on a lot of factors including if you have a family or current living situation and are able to move closer or want to live farther away. There are housing opportunities for some as close as right across the parking lot if need be although most prefer to live within about a 8-15 minute drive from the school in nearby towns such as Claremont, Chino Hills, Upland, etc. Some students do commute for over an hour each way, but they do so for various reasons.

As far as administration goes, you will hear the whole gamut of responses depending on who you go to. From a personal standpoint (and perhaps you need to take this with a grain of salt), I feel that the faculty and administration at COMP do want the students and the school to succeed.

I heard negative things even before I applied to COMP and after I applied and was accepted. I've heard plenty of negative things from all different sources the last two and a half years... many of the more negative comments coming from a significantly small proportion of students compared to the majority who seem to be doing just fine. I do believe that

1) medical school is what you make of it
2) applicants should seek to find the school that is the best fit for them
3) there are times when students will find they are not a good fit for the school
4) you usually get what you put into your medical school career.

Good luck!

Apparently EFM e-mails have gone out...don't they just look like little gems....

Thank God I have nothing else to do in the Spring than multi-step essays and cases to write up....and be arbitrarily graded upon...why does this seem like a HUGE disaster waiting to happen???

I know what you mean Yosh! I opened up my email today and there it was: Merry Christmas, here is your case studies and online case projects to do. :p

Aecuenta.....

I need to talk to you...I PM'd you and never heard back...

Write me eh?

EFM.. oh what fun it will be! At least I get to see the gang again together sometime next year...

Newage...

Have you ever been scubadiving?

Originally posted by Yosh
Newage...

Have you ever been scubadiving?

Yes, he has. That's MY dive buddy. I put up that avatar for him. That's why there's a corresponding lame-o post :D .

I think he's dived with some COMPers out there.

I went diving with Newage, but we didn't catch squat unfortunately. We'll try it again sometime later.. fun times! (He still has to tell me about the Hawaii stories..)

Well...if scuba is who I think he is...knowing those FLIPS....the he seems to have another name as well..which he said that he doesn't.....

Originally posted by Yosh
Well...if scuba is who I think he is...knowing those FLIPS....the he seems to have another name as well..which he said that he doesn't.....

Huh?

:confused:

NewAge does not have an alter ego...he has a sister....THAT'S ME!!! ask any of his COMP buddies. It's difficult to foreget me because the few of his friends that I have met just stand back like I'm scary and neurotic or something :eek: :D .

I should have been part of the COMP class of 2008, but it's just a little too close to home for me :) .

How'd I end up posting on here...guess it was the sis...somehow hijacking my computer.

Sooo.........how are all my COMP buddies? Melancholy, I take it we're back on rotations?

Yosh...you still out in the woods?

It's been a while. OMM out in Hawaii was a blast. Now it's back to the real world w/ a crazy insane workload.

You guys ever have to carry 13-15 of your own patients in medicine? Today was the first, and damn was it hard to know everything about them...all the consult docs were asking, telling, advising me what to do. Felt pretty overwhelming.

okay, for the soon to be first year...
just do a search and type COMP and WesternU.
there's so much out there, and I can repeat it for you,
but to make a long story short...if you're a person who likes to be spoonfed, I suggest looking elsewhere. COMP is difficult, tough, challenging, and sometimes overwhelming (as if you constantly need to catch your breath). But, if you can survive the first 2 years, it'll pay off during rotations. If you're a person who likes to handle things on your own, then you'll do just fine here. If there are any more questions you have after searching through the posts, just PM any one of us.

Originally posted by NewAgeDO
How'd I end up posting on here...guess it was the sis...somehow hijacking my computer.

SPARE ME!!!

By the way, I TOLD YOU that I was posting under your name to check the appearance of your avatar. Wait....that's right, you have the attention span of a fruit fly on feces which is why you don't remember me asking you if I could check your avatar. (not flaming here ~ this is normal brother-sister relationship ;))

I do not, nor have I EVER used your lame sdn name - NewAgeDo - to submit posts , except for the avatar post because I was checking to see how the avatar turned out after I edited your picture.

It would make you look good ;) , and yes, that is extremely difficult for anyone to do, even someone with my ingenuity :p.

Anyways....much :love: to my big bro who I will miss next year :( since I'm not going to COMP.

Awhh.. you decided not to come to COMP after all? Hmm.. Rob never mentioned bringing family members scuba diving..

Status
Not open for further replies.