Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This thread continues the original thread of Western/COMP Class of 2005.

Go COMP!
Lee Burnett, DO
Class of 1997

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Lee, i appreciate it. my mailbox was totally getting loaded. i really hate to complain, but it was getting ridiculous at times :D

Steph,
I will be there after July 10th...I officially move in and I will be running around....

E-mail me and I'll send ya my cell number...hopefully we can meet for a bit...

--Later

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi vdub! How are you? I left you a message on your cell phone.
How was your trip? So you are moving into eagle canyon. I will be down the street at portofino. =)
We went through Riverside and Westwood together, I think we can handle Pomona!! =)
I am moving in next week. Email me your digits and any other info. I will call you when I move in.
Bye

Last edited by a moderator:
Arnold,

Those were great posts, I learned from those as well! So where are you at this summer? I've gone to Pomona from time to time for Montclair Clinic, etc, but never got to play Starcraft that one night. I found out about those building hours as well... I think that's a bummer. Anyway, I hope things are going well wherever you are!

-Eric

Arnold,

Those were great posts, I learned from those as well! So where are you at this summer? I've gone to Pomona from time to time for Montclair Clinic, etc, but never got to play Starcraft that one night. I found out about those building hours as well... I think that's a bummer. Anyway, I hope things are going well wherever you are!

-Eric

Eric,

I'm down here in San Diego just enjoying my vacation. Actually, I've been quite busy doing all sorts of projects. I'm volunteering about 2-3 days a week at the Osteopathic Center for Children and shadowing the various docs there and of course using the OMM I've learned. I just received approval for a project I've been working on for the OCC which basically teaches Basic Osteopathic Principles, Concepts, and Terminology to the volunteers, which I've put on PowerPoint. I also just completed the OMM Techniques Manual: Semester II that I originally posted on the website, and am working on a manual for Semester I. The other big thing I'm working on is integrating the Pre-SOMA chapters in California into one regional website, and have been working with someone at UC Berkeley and offering any help in opening up a chapter there.

Otherwise I'm spending quality time with my girlfriend and catching up with friends I haven't talked to since we started school. I still have one more vacation to take with my girlfriend which is just taking a trip up the coast and staying at various places and seeing all kinds of stuff. That should be a fun little adventure.

To the class of 2005: I'm very impressed. This thread kicks ass. When school begins, look for a special surprise in the first few weeks that should make your year a little easier. I hope to meet some of you that write on this thread...maybe for lunch sometime in July. I have to go back to school to return my crappy laptop so I can buy something that actually is worth my money. And if any of you need any advice when it comes to classes, study tips, student governement, etc., just email me. I'd be happy to help, though I know (hope) that your assigned second year will help you out.

Eric, Paul, Maily....man I miss wasting study time with you guys and Starcraft. I swear Paul, I should have never ever let you give me that damn CD. Poontang Pie lives!!

-Arnold
WESTERN UNIVERSITY/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

melancholy,

I would not waste your time getting signatures. Dr. Lenz has told our class point blank that they are not worth a damn.

As a group, just send ONE representative to take care of these issues, following the chain of command.

Good luck! :)

Arnold

hello, whats the deal with financial aid loans
i cant seem to find out exactly how much interest ill be charged. is it compounded yearly or daily or what. for 4 yrs of school, abt 200000 bucks, how much interest do u think ill be paying.

The subsidized loans...the gov'y pays the interest utill you graduate..then the interest begins accruing.

Unsubsidized....the interest accures from the disbursement date...and continues...the interest rate fluxuates around 8-10%..it has been on the lower end lately.

Private loans....interest accrues immediately...like the unsub loans...

That is how I understand it...

Anyone else???

284 posts until 1k posts!

aecuenca- what is this special surprise you're talking about? Is it like a surprise from a cereal box? :p I haven't heard anything about any change in curriculum.. did they change our earliest class to start at 11am? :) :) :)

melancholy,

no, no....it has nothing to do with a change in the curriculum...though if you started at 11am all of us 2nd years would be extremely jealous.

The surprise is actually a side project I've been working on. You'll just have to wait and see.

Arnold

Steph, nice to meet you...even if it is online for now. Actually we will be able to put video clips on the website using the mini-dv as well as pics. so it would be cool if we can get some space on a server. perhaps Arnold has some suggestions :D

Melancholy...hows ISAC goin? don't you guys finish mid-july? i'll see ya around then at plaza! well i think you asked about movies. i saw the Fast and the Furious the other day. it was pretty good i suppose (wayyyyyyy too many civics though...and some nasty colors too...just my opinion). i think you are on IM right now while in lecture...so i'll talk to ya soon...

Arnold i have a question for ya...what kind of volunteer activities can we expect during the first year (assuming there will be time left for them)? will we be able to assist in diagnosing patients at the clinics or are MSI's still limited to groundwork? and can't wait to see what this side-project of yours is! see ya soon (SD is the bomb!) oh wait almost forgot...starcraft..cant wait :D anyone play any quake though? or half-life?

prit

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so i just learned something after making that last post...went to my profile to change a few things and i realized that the PM's go there! no wonder i never saw them...soooooooooo

Sonal - nice to meet you. i just got your private message this morning...guess its a little late huh :D anyways i'll email you right now

Lanny - I just got your messages as well. they are kinda old now and i already talked to you about our pad at plaza...so i'll be seeing you soon...

later
prit

PV1,

As far as volunteer activites, there are several to choose from. For example, Sigma Sigma Phi (honor's society...I'm actually the President) does a lot of charity work. PCHAT is a community health team where students of all disciplines see people who cannot afford health care, all supervised by a few docs. However, as an MSI, you will be limited to observation and patient history. There's also Montclair Clinic that Eric has been mentioning where you can also do some volunteer clinical work. When school starts, I will create a new organization contact list on the do2004 website so that everyone knows who the officers are of each organization.

As far as web space, you are given a total of 100 Megs on the server when you start. If any of you decide to start a website for your class, then I can give directions on how one of you can store the website on his/her server and upload from home (using a high speed connection).

There a quite a few half-life fans in our class that always play during and after lecture. You're always welcome to play with them. As far as the Starcraft team, when we get back we have to finish a tournament that we started at the end of the year. Just talk to Eric714 on how to get into the next tournament.

-Arnold

Arnold - Thanks a bunch for all that info. I wouldn't mind taking patient history reports (from what i've heard it gets old fast!). At least the volunteer activities won't be similar to those performed in high school. So I'm looking forward to it. As far as gaming goes...I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work it into my schedule somewhat(as soon as I settle in during the first few weeks). Thanks for all the info. and don't worry I'll have plenty more questions to bother you with in the future :D (and Jesse as well). Perhaps even help you out in some of those volunteer activities...

Everyone- - I changed my name to Halcyon along w/profile so don't get confused. Old name was PV1. The profile didn't accept my hotmail account so here goes ---> [email protected]

prit

Arnold- As fun as Starcraft is, I don't think u should tempt them in their first semester! At least wait until 2nd semester like we did. ;) Even in 2nd semester, it was partly responsible for our demise or should i say my own. hahahah
Sounds like u need to take a breather from all ur projects. good luck w/ em!

I think you're right miles! These first years might want to wait for the 2nd semester....i swear that evil starcraft hurt my studies too! or maybe....some 1st year gunners WANT us to tempt them and bring down the curve. I'm gonna need some form of bribery....Mwa ha ha...

getting on a tangent here...i'm off to cancun with the family. should be fun playing in the ocean, scuba, snorkling, looking at myan temples, looking at people.

yosh-i'll see if i can catch you next weekend. in the meantime...off to drop some bills and bling-blingin' in good 'ol NYC.

this curriculum thing is getting curiouser and curiouser...

peace, yo.
~j

Hey Class of 2005,

I thought it would be nice to give you all some suggestions on how to study for each prof. So here we go:

Biochemistry-Dr. Kiick: DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY. Go to every single lecture since he likes to test you on material that he mentions in class but not written anywhere on his handouts (what may seem minute has appeared on exams). BUT, this guy is a xerox copy machine....he likes using old test questions, ESPECIALLY from the Kaplan Review series, which burned many people in our class and gave easy A's to others. He also likes to take old questions from his old exams from the PHARM department. The final exam was difficult (I used to TA biochem for almost 2 years!) and that was because ~65-70 questions were straight out of Kaplan and Pharm exams...so of course those in our class that had them thought they were easy. FYI: ~14 people failed biochem.

Dr. Kuehn-Embryology: Download his powerpoints and combine them with his handouts. He tries to give you a "3-D" motion with his hands which may come out to be confusing. Do old exams....almost the entire exam was repeated last year from past exams.

Dr. May-Histology: Same as Dr. Kuehn except he won't let you download his powerpoints. I think he may discontinue lab itself and use his website for pictures instead. If there is a lab, forget it: waste of time. Just go to his website or just borrow a histo atlas from the library

The Anatomy Department: old exams have not been proven to be useful, and if they are..very little. Go to class, listen, and understand. Go to lab and look at other cadavers. Go to the mock practicals. This is the one class you have to bust your ass in. Last year's curve: 6% and I believe 7 people did not pass. These people have to retake the course in Nebraska, but the good thing is that should they get an A, that is exactly what will show up on their transcript.

Microbiology:
Dr. Khan: He seems like a nice guy, but he's an ass. His exam questions though are highly repeatable from old exams, so no worries.
Dr. Felton: His lectures are oh so boring because he reads straight out of his novel-like paragraphs. Old tests DID NOT help much at all, which was a surprise. I recomment you purchase "Micro made easy" since there are some funny pictures that will help you remember the bugs, are draw your own pictures/make a story about these little critters.
Dr. Oglesby: one of the kindest professors you'll ever meet...but I believe she will not be teaching you this year, which is unfortunate. But if you get her, she also likes to use old exams as well.

Pharmacology
Dr. Wong: A really nice guy, but likes to talk forever socially, so if you strike up a conversation, be prepared for a 2 hour talk! He's really open about the use of his old exams, so ask him anything. He's very pro-student. Oh, and I missed pretty much every single lecture...woops!
Dr. Lowe: This guy's a machine when talking about drugs. He's clinical knowledge is superior to Dr. Wong's, but his lectures are harder to follow. You cannot miss this guys lectures..he appears for the 3rd/final exam on pharm. His exam questions range from easy to freaking hard, so just study, study, study.....

Physiology: Dr. Fiorindo-I think you have a new professor for physio, so all I can say is good luck.

OMM: You have to practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!! If you know how to do the techniques and can visualize them in your head, you've already aced 2/3 of the exam. The other 1/3 is based on random information from your handouts. Doing old exams gives you good practice questions, but few do repeat (mainly factoids). I will be TA'ing next semester, so be sure you ask for help. OMM is my favorite class and I plan on applying for the fellowship next year. Besides, if you happen to fail either the written or the practical, there are always makeups so this is the one class that you can remediate quickly instead of over the summer

Genetics: Dr. Gilbert: This class was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and it was a lot of fun. Actually, I would recommend you buy the book required for this course...it's good reading and it's easy. No one received an incomplete for this course.(Dr. Gilbert gives you a chance to redeem yourself)

Pathology: Dr. Parsa-This guy is the "Don't worry about, it's not important" and there it is on the exam. Old tests...can help sometimes but I would in particular study his handouts/powerpoints well. Pathology lab: Waste of time. Don't go. Forget it.

Well, that sums it up..in my opinion. This is for the core curriculum and my suggestions. If any second years have any other comments, please add them. I wish my second year helped me out this much.

Arnold

oh yeah, forgot to add one thing about Dr. Kiick:

he likes diagrams and little text hidden in corners of his handouts. watch out, anything is game for this guy.

Arnold,

I am taking a wild guess to think I speak for all of us soon to be MS1's when I say THANK YOU for you insight on instructors. This is just the type of info I had been planning on trying to score when I got there in August. You saved me a little bit of effort on that topic, although I am curious to learn just what texts besides the ones you already listed earlier are ones you think are "necessary" as opposed to "optional."

Arnold,

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! You are proving to be an invaluable help...and I really want to let you knwo that you are appreciated. I will be down in L.A. for SAPP...I'll e-mail you when I get there...I'd love to talk to you and hear what you have to say...outside of the panel that is...

I'd say we'd go for a beer..but apparently no one in L.A. drinks... :eek: :( :eek: :(

naw yosh thats just moi

yo whats the deal with parking, 180 bucks, i dont think so. cant we just stick the car anywhere in those lots.
they aint gonna ticket us are they?

Hey Arnold,

Thanks for the help, but I have a few questions.

1)aren't you afraid that some of the professors(especially Dr. Khan, you called him an ass) coming here and reading this stuff?

2)Students who failed anotomy had to study in Nebraska?? Why?

3)Path and Histo labs are optional?? I thought labs were required.

Arnold...I just have to ask how you manage to have enough time to do all these side projects and still have some left over to complete your MSI year! You gotta let us in on the secret. Thanks for all the info. and see ya in a couple weeks (are you moving back up soon?)

Oh one more thing...from what I can gather the majority of students study from lecture notes...and so it is not necessary to buy a lot of texts. I already have the Netter Atlas and would like to know what other texts are "must haves"

thanks again,

prit

Arnold---thanks yet again!!!
can you guess who i am???? does omas publicity sound ring a bell? i'm following you yet again.... ucsd, burnham, and now western? what's next..... :p

Hi folks..

Wow.. a TON of thanks to Arnold for all the info. on our upcoming professors! I can say that I will print this out as soon as I get a new black printer cartridge.. and I can already use some of the hints for Dr. Kuehn since they are trying to integrate a little embryology into our anatomy. Incidentally, is it worth purchasing the embryology textbook (Moore and someone else)? I heard that embryology will be integrated into a number of other classes so the book would be helpful in that sense. It doesn't exactly help to clarify some of Dr. Kuehn's lectures.. doh.

Vdub- As far as parking permits go, I know that the permit restrictions are in effect from 9am-5pm M-F (this is from the signs in the parking lot)... so if you could carpool with someone in the mornings, you wouldn't need a permit if you returned to campus to study in the evenings. I know of one or two people who have forgotten to put up their parking permits and they have not gotten parking tickets.. so it's up to you I guess.

TNT- I have a feeling very few professors come onto these message boards to look at the threads.. although something like that would cross my mind. I do think everyone is entitled to their opinions.. and some professors probably know they are asses (but might not care).
In my very limited experience, for labs that don't require assignments to be turned in or anything, it doesn't seem like they care if you leave early or miss a day. Of course, anatomy lab for ISAC might be completely diff. during the normal year, but it seems like I could leave early from lab if I wanted to (although I wouldn't for many reasons). I would feel like I'm letting down the people at my table.. and it probably would be frowned upon by profs as well.

Arnold- One thing I was curious about was whether you thought the Embryo book (Moore and someone else) was worth purchasing. One of our second set of TA's for ISAC mentioned that embryology would be integrated into a number of other classes during the regular year and that the embryo book would be helpful for that purpose. It doesn't seem to help on some of Dr. Kuehn's lectures though and I think a lot of us are somewhat baffled with his embryo. lectures at the moment. Actually, I will just e-mail you and ask about details heh.

We finally got our LA Fitness memberships! I will scout out the LaVerne location which seems to be one of the closest to see how that is.. perhaps visit the Chino Hills one later in the week. They also extended the hours that the anatomy lab building will be open on weekends. Before, it wasn't even open on weekends, but "magically", they decided to open it up from 11am-7pm on weekends so we could go in and check out cadavers during the weekends. I wonder if our little "grumbling" actually helped.. hmm..

Anyway, everyone enjoy your weekend. I'll be going into anatomy lab at 11am tomorrow to go over some stuff with other people. Hopefully this will be a fun and productive weekend.

Lanny

hello to all, hope everyone is enjoying their last summer of ease.

Pyoj - My dad is a retired army officer, I grew up all over, I loved it, I went airforce because it is more like civilian life. but I think it is a great idea to get something going for the HPSP people, let me know what I can do.

Smiles - I don't live in sd anymore but I was Rancho Pen. inland N. county. family land if you will. I moved a year ago to be near my family who, thank god, live 8 miles from Western. Was I lucky or what. But I am always looking for a reason to go home. let me know when is good for you, the weekends are better for me, like sushi? email me at [email protected]

Vince2184 - just went to the driving range last night, was that discouraging, I was cussing most of the time. in glendora there is a 9 hole and driving range ran by the city, which is pretty inexpensive in comparison to others around. just let me know. hopefully you can help my swing.

Melancholy - Bar-b-Q is at my house, I am in escrow on a house on lincoln near indian hill. nice enough for now, but has a great big family room great for studying and I have a beer refrig. so party is on.

Yosh - you are still younger than me, I want someone to who is older than me. I am NOT going to be the home room mom. but you know misery loves company so you are my new best friend ha ha ha

Slehrner - Lets get something together for when you are here , I am interested in meeting, everyone email me - I love beer and sushi

Aecuenca thanks for the info, I have a question about Omm I am a occupational therapist with certification in hand therapy. I have a ton of training in Myofascial release, strain counterstrain, joint mobilization etc, , is this helpful or is it completely different. I am hoping something I have done for the last ten years is going to be worth it.

It has been a pleasure reading the post I am excited about school starting now.

d :)

;) :cool:
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your information and questions. It is a great help. Plus a big thanks to arnold. You have made many new friends!!!!! :D ;)

Now I have a question for you, Arnold.

I have been going through all our information and came across the cost of books $1800!! NOw that you have told us about the teachers, can you tell us which books we need and which we dont?

Much Thanks,
Stephanie

P.S. GUys I think we may need to take Arnold out for a round of drinks on the MS1's!

Arnold....see how popular you've become :D and hardly anybody has met you yet! i didn't know you worked at burnham (referring to a post by smiles). i never worked there but know a few guys that have. anyway who did you TA biochem for? just curious. well it looks like you got a ton of questions from people to answer so i won't ask anymore for now :)

Smiles...i just realized after reading your post that i may have met you at an omas meeting a long time ago. prolly during my soph year (2years ago). i can't even think back that far (o-chem that year) :D

prit

Dawn and Steph
I think that a get-together would be GREAT!!! I will be there in 10 days....and ready to roll..
Where are all the SAPP people? Coloring I would assume...

Still no replacement for our "camping weekend"...Disasppointed!!!

Dawn....
Me and you..we can hang...Sounds Good

FYI
Tighe is leaving for bootcamp tomm in Alabama..Aren't we all JEALOUS???? He will be checking in with us via e-mail...so keep your eyes peeled....

Arnold has been a great guy. Helped us all unselfishly during our hell year. I think our class would have been A LOT more bitter if it wasn't for his work and notes for our class page.

arnold: lets hope 2nd year is a little less insane eh? :) Need more time to play AOE2...

Mig
MS2 thedigitaldoctor.com

Okay, lots of questions! How fun...here we go!

1. These are the necessary texts (in my opinion):
Netter is your bible!
Umm....that's it. ha ha ha...I wasted so much money on texts....

2. Parking-I would just buy the permit. You can't win...besides, that's what financial aid is for.

3. Am I afraid of Dr. Khan? Hell no. He himself knows he's an ass and the students are not afraid to comment on it on their evaluation reports. On one occasion he's been an ass to me, and on other occasions he's been worse to others.

4. People that fail Anatomy are sent to Nebraska because that is the only place where our students can re-take the course. SO DON'T FAIL ANATOMY OR YOU'LL LOSE YOUR SUMMER.

5. Yes, despite what the profs will tell you, the labs are optional. Maybe the first day they'll do the whole "sign in" mandatory thing, but whatever. Give it a couple of weeks and you will see. Use that time to study!

6. How do I manage these side projects? Time management....and dedication and my love for the profession as well as my fellow classmates.

7. Smiles, if you are who I am thinking of....that's awesome! But I have a bone to pick with you because you have not returned my emails and I NEED some info!

8. Embryo book. PLEASE. You don't need that at all. You'll just have to trust me.

9. USC1992: You will be at a distinct advantage over your counterparts when it comes to myofascial release and other more "gentle" techniques.

10. $1800! That's nuts! Save your money!!!

11. At UCSD, I TA'd metabolic biochemistry for Dr. Paul Saltman and ran OASIS workshops for Dr. Paul Price.

12. Miglo: Bro, thanks for the compliments. I know for sure we'll have a great 2nd year together. You will have to teach me AoE

Is that it? That was a lot of fun. Any more questions, just fire away.

-Arnold

Hey Arnold,

one question.. these Kaplan review books you referred to.. those are the ones for the boards, right?

I have another seemingly stupid question....as far as Netter's Atlas...there is a soft and hard cover edition...from experience...is there any difference? Does it make a difference which one we get?

I imagine the soft cover is easier to lug around...but just wanted to double check..before I buy one...

Yes, the Kaplan books are the ones for the boards. Some of your second years have them (I did not...) but if you all get to know each other, you will help each other out. BUT...the beginning is always awkward and there will be little unity (i.e. gunners).

The hard cover atlas is just nicer and more expensive. that's it.

arnold

Arnold- what emails????
Prit- which OMAS meeting????
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by smiles:
•Arnold- what emails????
Prit- which OMAS meeting????
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Smiles - Because you mentioned OMAS (UCSD)in one of your posts I figured that I prolly met you in one of the meetings (long time ago though..I wasn't much of an active participant). Sorry to confuse you!

Arnold - My friend from SD said that the Moore text is useful for anatomy along w/Netter because it explains physiology and function along with the anatomical features. In other words it is easier to learn anatomy because one will understand the function of the structure. Have you used Moore and what do you think about it? Useful at COMP?

I've heard Huntington Gardens is an awesome place to relax and maybe even study. I'm not sure exactly how far it is from COMP. Have any of you heard of it?

prit

Prit,

Well, you asked what texts I felt were necessary, and it was Netter. But I would recommend Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore because it is a well written book, BUT if you pay attention in class, you should be able to do just fine without it. There are a few times you may have to refer to it for clinical cases, BUT THAT'S WHAT A XEROX MACHINE IS FOR ;) So you can buy the book from the bookstore, xerox copy it for 3 days, and return it or you can always just borrow it from the library or there's going to be someone in the class that has it. Tell you what...my future roommate is my assigned 1st year. You ask him if you can borrow mine and to xerox copy the pages and there shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would expect in return is that you allow people in your class to copy your copies. I feel it is important to establish unity in your class and help each other. These are, after all, your future colleagues.

-Arnold

-Arnold

Hi everyone,
My name is Shannon and I will be joining you all at COMP in August. I graduated last year from UCSD and have spent the last year at UCDavis doing a postbach program. I am now in Huntington Beach and am so excited to meet all of you and start school!!
Anyways, I will keep in touch.

By the way, hi Lanny! when will you be in HB?

[email protected][/EMAIL] ;)

Hi folks,
it's me again studying late on Sunday night. I promise I'll go to sleep in an hour though because some fellow Plaza Apt. classmates want to attempt running at 6am.. AND on a day where our lecture doesn't start till 10am (instead of 9am). Well, I guess we will have a lot of time to run around and get a tan :).

Our LA Fitness memberships are working fine. Anyone interested in basketball, the LA Fitness gyms in Laverne and Diamond Bar have courts, although they were pretty busy during peak hours I hear. I think their hours start somewhere around 5 or 6am until 9 or 10pm. The YMCA opens quite early and their basketball gym is usually empty around 7-9am so anyone wanting to shoot hoops before class, it is probably easier to go there since it is about four minutes driving distance from school. (Assuming you live close to school)

Prit- hey.. I'd let you borrow my Moore text to copy although it is the 3rd and not the 4th edition which most professors are using. That being said, I am mostly fine with the 3rd edition, just that some things are not found in the 3rd edition and the page numbers don't always correspond to the assigned readings of the professors. I have a feeling the 4th edition has more clinical questions in the back of each chapter, but you can easily copy these from anyone on campus who has a 4th ed. Moore.

As far as deciding between the hard and soft cover Netters, I only have the soft cover and it seems like the binding isn't as sturdy as the hard cover is, but I haven't had any pages fall out or anything and it seems like it will survive as long as you don't toss it around a ton.

I know Yosh and Prit/Halcyon are moving in around July 10th. Who else will be coming into town? (I have a lot of other things stuffed into my head right now.. :confused: )

Baileydo- Hey Shannon, I was just in HB this past Sunday to visit my workplace and get a haircut/sandwiches around Little Saigon. Next weekend I will be spending quite a bit of time studying for the exam on July 9th (Monday) unfortunately. I'm not sure when the next time I will drop down to OC, but I'll let you know. How is the apt./roommate search going?

Ok, back to studying. Talk to you folks later!

Lanny

Facilitators of procrastination:

E-mail: [email protected]
AIM: LannyHsu

i'm totally down for balling, does the LA fitness member ship cover everything, like all the days and times.
i'm also moving in around when yosh is, july9th or so..

hey sonal ill be in the area on friday, if u want me to stop by i can.. email me

peace

Arnold and Lanny - Thanks for the offer on the Moore text. If it is that useful I may purchase it online later. And yeah I'm totally down to share notes/books w/anyone at school...its one of the best ways to make friends right :D

Shannon...nice to see ya online. See how much of the COMP thread you've missed out on in the past!

prit

I dunno if you all know about this "gator" shopping thing...but I was looking for the Netter's Atlas.

Gator apparently seaches prices for you, and presents you with all the competition's prices as well....

I got the Hardcover Netter's Atlas for $72.00...with shipping it was $75.00

the web site is www.gator.com

Anyone have any experience with this?

It seems good so far....

does anyone have any experience with high speed internet for home yet in that area. I heard the cable tv provider is adelphia. DO they also have cable lines for the web, or should we go thru with dsl with verizon. what the deal with digital cable. is it any good. does anyone know if we can get like a package deal or something. peace

I checked with Adelphia in Chino Hills...and the cable modem is not available...only DSL by Verizon....they are the only one that I know of....

I am on the fence about getting it..as I don't know if I will need it

yeah I have experience with DSL at home. But I'm in Costa Mesa, so it's a little out of the area from Pomona.... it's a luxury I have at my parent's house. But I really don't think you'll need it for school unless you could afford it. You're going to be on campus so much being a first year that it would be easier to use the T1 connection at school. Plus you have to remember that ther'es normally a set up fee with DSL and a one year min contract. That's from my experience, I tried it last year with Verizon and they required one year committment.

Also, Arnold's advice pretty much hits it right on the head with each class. Although I think he has a lot of balls to express some of his opinions for some of these profs! But I've got his back if he gets in a fight!

In regards to books... your'e going to find out that your'e not going to need a lot of the books that they suggest. For instance for anatomy, I mainly used the Netters & the Clinically-Oriented Anatomy. It's got some good material. Other books that I used were Lippincott's Pharm & Biochem, Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple, the Histo Atlas, and First Aid for the USMLE. I didn't read the embryo book much and barely colored in the anatomy book. If could think of the any others I'll let you know..

-Eric

I agree with the DSL stuff....(sigh)..I really don't need it..

As far as our 1st year.....what books do we need?

I already have Lippincott's Biochem from my Post bac..and I bought Netter's atlas...what else am I going to need?

Thanks....

Just have a question for Arnold/Lanny/anyone...I was looking online to figure out which Moore text might be useful. But I found two different ones...Essentials of Clinical Anatomy and Clincally Oriented Anatomy. Which is the one that profs. recommend?

Eric, does anyone play half-life/quakeIII/unreal at school? i know it is difficult on the laptops because many of them aren't gaming oriented. but the latest ones are...and it would be fun playing those kinds of games in addition to starcraft/aoe

prit

Status
Not open for further replies.