Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, so I know the app says the picture is optional, but I thought I read somewhere they don't consider your app complete till they have a picture? I'm just gonna take your advice and turn it in since it obviously worked for you. I'll mail them a picture later.

It won't affect an interview, but they're probably going to ask for a picture at the interview (not the interviewer him/her self). It's definitely not a reason to delay submitting your application.
 
Just go into your KCOM interview with a kick ass attitude, enjoy the interview - its just as much for you as it is for them..

I will say, KCOM's OMM room is awesome. Of course the big problem with KCOM is the fact that it's in BFE.
 
It won't affect an interview, but they're probably going to ask for a picture at the interview (not the interviewer him/her self). It's definitely not a reason to delay submitting your application.

I didn't submit a picture & didn't turn one in at the interview (they never asked for one) and was accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't waste your money at Western. I'm a student at Western and for the quality of education you get here ( which is among the worst you would get anywhere), I would never have gone here if I had known. Western might have been better 4 or 5 years ago before they brought in the new curriculum director for the second year students. There are some good professors and some caring administrators, but they are in the minority and they have to listen to the course director.

Things have been a mess since.

There are many students intimidated by the way our course director threatens us, but there are still some who are risking consequences by writing to the administration to push for changes. Trust me, don't make the mistake I did--if I had known the truth before coming to Western I would have thought twice. Go to the school and sit in the student commons before you throw your money away for this osteopathic school. If you talk to the majority of DO students, you'll notice how unhappy we are because of how arbitrarily decisions are made here without any thought to whether it is effective or useful for students' learning, especially for the boards.

About 70% of our classmates don't come to class on a regular basis. This is because the instruction is so poor that we learn more from outside reading (like Wikipedia of all places) and just staying at home memorizing what they want us to know on the recorded lectures. Our time would be better spent learning what is relevant for the boards instead of memorizing stupid random facts that don't build our foundation for medicine.

Some of us succeed regardless of where we go--I get good grades at Western, but that is not thanks to them--this is due to my own skills of research and being able to do well despite the poor quality of education.

This school is considered by some to be competitive primarily because of its past reputation--which has resulted in a lot of Californian students from UC schools who would do well regardless of where they go.

I've seen many of my classmates struggle ( and some fail) from this kind of educational environment. The test average is about 75%-77% for every exam so far this year and the standard deviation is about 7-10%, so about a quarter to a third of the class is always borderline or close to failing (to pass you have to get at least a 70%).

This school has a policy that if you fail 16 credits which is about 2 classes, you get one chance to remediate or you may get dismissed. Dismissal or remediation is at the discretion of the administration and it is not really clear who is allowed to stay, except it can be arbitrary.

Our board scores are high ( which seems odd because of how bad this place is), but that is only because they will hold back anyone who cannot pass their system and prevent them from taking those boards. You don' t want to be that unfortunate person, unless you are already quite intelligent and don't need a teacher because you are skilled at doing your own research.

If you're not sure about Western, come to the school and talk to the students (not in the administration sponsored tour) on an individual basis to really get a true understanding. Wait another year and reapply if you have to. And if you decide that Western despite its flaws is for you for personal reasons (like its location), I hope that you have made an informed decision.
 
Don't waste your money at Western.

MedStudent199....Although nothing says reliable quite like a new user with one post, I am going to assume that you actually attend Western and that you are a second year.

What are you trying to accomplish here? Western is at NO risk of not filling it's 2014 class due to your opinion. Are you actually altruistically motivated or just looking for a place to vent some frustration? Why scare off good students and further hurt Western's CO2014?

Of course......it wouldn't be too hard for an applicant with questionable morals to acquire (or fabricate) of some 2nd year information. You might be legit, but you have to admit.....you post has an aroma of :bullcrap:

Things I have heard from a ton of docs:
1. It dosen't really matter where you go to med school as long as it's in the US (unless you want to be a neurosurgeon or a medical scientist)

2. It IS up to YOU to be successful where ever you go (get used to it, because the real world wont be doing you any favors)

3. Go where you get in, because there are no guarantees in reapplication. (plus if they find out that you turned down an offer the previous year you are screwed)

Finally, my observation is that the very disgruntled live at every med school (and everywhere in life) and represent the minority.
 
Last edited:
So I have yet to turn in my deposit. I won't be able to mail it out until Friday. I'm hopeful it would get there in time (by Tuesday, December 1st), but what happens if it doesn't? Is Western strict about the deposits? Will I lose my seat if I don't turn it in on time? I'm thinking of driving up to Pomona and giving it someone in person, just to make sure. Is anyone else in the same situation or am I the only idiot that delayed this part of the process till the last few days?

Don't take a chance, sent it UPS or FedEx with delivery confirmation....$20 means nothing compared to the alternative.
 
That's good to know. I still haven't sent my secondary b/c I don't have a picture of myself yet...horrible reason, but I'm working to rectify that. Have you made the ULTIMATE decision as to where you'll be yet 😀?

Not quite. I'm about 90% set on Western at the moment. I'm waitlisted at George Washington, and just got an interview invite from Loma Linda, but I'm trying to figure out if I'd actually go to either of those over here in the event that I do get in there.

In any case, I did send in that deposit... so I guess I'm at least one grand worth of committed 😀
 
Don't take a chance, sent it UPS or FedEx with delivery confirmation....$20 means nothing compared to the alternative.

Pretty much this, Ibn. I'd also recommend giving them a call just to a) let them know that you're sending it b) check if they mind it being a day or two late. I think if they at least know you're committing the deposit, they're okay with it.
 
...or you could call them and ask if they can charge it to a credit card...

Siggy.....why u gotta steal my thunder? Next time I see you, your getting a professionalism lecture! :sendoff:

I sent my deposit in via the mail. You guys are making me worried now..

That's it.....you're screwed, now you don't get to be a doctor 😀 Call & confirm receipt. It's probably just fine 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CO2014: Here is a fun look inside your future: I am on my 7th day in a row of studying for 10-12 hours.....I have two more of these till exam day, where I will only study 8 hours. Then of course there is lecture the next morning :meanie:
 
A quick question:

For those that are currently attending Western, have you considered how to tackle the massive tuition rates/loans and how long you'll have to work to pay it off and such? I'm a bit interested in hearing how most of you deal with the mammoth costs needed to attend Western, which seems substantially greater than most DO schools.
 
A quick question:

For those that are currently attending Western, have you considered how to tackle the massive tuition rates/loans and how long you'll have to work to pay it off and such? I'm a bit interested in hearing how most of you deal with the mammoth costs needed to attend Western, which seems substantially greater than most DO schools.

First, it's not substantially greater. Our cost of living is a bit higher, but tuition isn't all that different from some other private medical schools (DO & MD)

I had a meeting with financial aid, the price tag is $3400/mo. for 10 years or $1900/mo for 25 years. Right now I am leaning toward EM, which pays about $250K/yr. Medicine wont make me rich, but I can handle that payment. I plan on paying $5K/mo. for about 5 years, living a modest lifestyle, so I can be done with it. Good news is that Job security isn't a problem. I just hope reimbursements don't kill us. With the repeal of SGR it's looking a bit better. Obamacare (assuming it passes) may help.

If you're really worried about it. Consider the HPSP military scholarship or the NHSC program for primary care.
 
First, it's not substantially greater. Our cost of living is a bit higher, but tuition isn't all that different from some other private medical schools (DO & MD)

I had a meeting with financial aid, the price tag is $3400/mo. for 10 years or $1900/mo for 25 years. Right now I am leaning toward EM, which pays about $250K/yr. Medicine wont make me rich, but I can handle that payment. I plan on paying $5K/mo. for about 5 years, living a modest lifestyle, so I can be done with it. Good news is that Job security isn't a problem. I just hope reimbursements don't kill us. With the repeal of SGR it's looking a bit better. Obamacare (assuming it passes) may help.

If you're really worried about it. Consider the HPSP military scholarship or the NHSC program for primary care.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I'm certainly somewhat concerned about the reimbursements and the still-soaring costs of malpractice insurance, hence my question. In addition I plan to go into primary care so I was a bit more concerned about being able to pay off the loans in good time. Most of the friends I currently know in medical school come from very wealthy backgrounds and as such are not able to offer me good advice about the matter.

I'm not so much worried about the debt itself hanging over my head as I am being able to pay it off in a timely fashion.
 
how long does it take to get a secondary from this place after being processed/verified by AACOMAS?
 
Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I'm certainly somewhat concerned about the reimbursements and the still-soaring costs of malpractice insurance, hence my question. In addition I plan to go into primary care so I was a bit more concerned about being able to pay off the loans in good time. Most of the friends I currently know in medical school come from very wealthy backgrounds and as such are not able to offer me good advice about the matter.

I'm not so much worried about the debt itself hanging over my head as I am being able to pay it off in a timely fashion.

You're very welcome. If you are interested in primary care I highly suggest that you investigate the NHSC scholarship. It pays ALL of your tuition and give $1200/mo. stipend for living. The pay back is 4 years working in undeserved areas, of which there are many! When I learned about it I honestly reconsidered primary care. Good luck!
 
You're very welcome. If you are interested in primary care I highly suggest that you investigate the NHSC scholarship. It pays ALL of your tuition and give $1200/mo. stipend for living. The pay back is 4 years working in undeserved areas, of which there are many! When I learned about it I honestly reconsidered primary care. Good luck!

To add on to this, if you are decided on primary care, Western U offers low interest rate loans.
 
To add on to this, if you are decided on primary care, Western U offers low interest rate loans.

but you have to commit before you even start school and then if you change your mind you get SLAMMED with higher interest rates..

and the difference is only 1-1.5 percent or so if i remember correctly..
 
but you have to commit before you even start school and then if you change your mind you get SLAMMED with higher interest rates..

and the difference is only 1-1.5 percent or so if i remember correctly..

Yea... and have you seen the fine details for programs like HSPS?
 
but you have to commit before you even start school and then if you change your mind you get SLAMMED with higher interest rates..

and the difference is only 1-1.5 percent or so if i remember correctly..

The difference varies from Stafford to grad plus by 2-3%, but you are correct about changing your mind.....it's CRAZY interest and they apply it retro. I'm talking 18%. :scared:
 
Yea... and have you seen the fine details for programs like HSPS?

yeah, but you don't have to sign up prior to matriculation for HPSP.

The difference varies from Stafford to grad plus by 2-3%, but you are correct about changing your mind.....it's CRAZY interest and they apply it retro. I'm talking 18%. :scared:

I meant I think their FP loans are like 5ish percent while Staffords are 6.8.

The interest is absurd if you don't go through with it though. lol
 
Anyone who interviewed 11/12 get anything in the mail yet????

It's coming.....the dean hadn't signed the letters. I called and was told over the phone. I just e-mailed them another interview invitation. SHould be anytime now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! How the heck did you get yours before mine?! I interviewed a week before you. But then again I am on the east coast. Are you in the west?

I expedited the process. You can do that if you have an acceptance or interview invite at another school around the time you'd be hearing back from Western and it'd affect your attendance depending on your status at Western. For example, I would normally find out around Thursday but my next interview is Friday. However, I just used it as an excuse to find out sooner than later. 🙂

Also, I'm from the west coast but live on the east right now. It was all done over the phone. Good luck!!! :]
 
Last edited:
Just got this email today from Western:

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.

🙁
 
Just got this email today from Western:

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.

🙁

It's a common thing this season for high MCAT, low GPA people (or seems that way at least). Too early to tell what it means, with regards to getting an interview at some point.
 
It's a common thing this season for high MCAT, low GPA people (or seems that way at least). Too early to tell what it means, with regards to getting an interview at some point.

I do have a low gpa and high mcat. I was hoping my high graduate gpa could compensate.
 
On November 11th, I notifed Western that I had been accepted at another school and they were able to tell me over the phone that I had been accepted. The letters were supposedly mailed out earlier that week and I should receive the letter by the end of the following week.

I waited and contacted them again when I hadn't received the letter. They told me patronizingly to be patient. Finally, when December 1st arrived (I interviewed on October 24th mind you), I emailed them again to tell them I had still not received the letter.

The response I got was that they would send me another letter again and that I would get an extension on the deadline which was December 1st.

IMHO, I have not had very good experiences with their administration throughout this entire process. From the time I tried to get a status on whether they received all my secondary application components to this missing letter of acceptance, I am not impressed.
 
Last edited:
On November 11th, I notifed Western that I had been accepted at another school and they were able to tell me over the phone that I had been accepted. The letters were supposedly mailed out earlier that week and I should received in by the end of the following week.

I waited and contacted them again when I hadn't received the letter. They told me patronizingly to be patient. Finally, when December 1st arrived (I interviewed on October 24th mind you), I emailed them again to tell them I had still not received the letter.

The response I got was that they would send me another letter again and that I would get an extension on the deadline which was December 1st.

IMHO, I have not had very good experiences with their administration throughout this entire process. From the time I tried to get a status on whether they received all my secondary application components to this missing letter of acceptance, I am not impressed.

Sorry its been a bad experience for you, man. Perhaps it just got lost in the mail or something. Just remember that with Western, or any other school, you're not going to speak with admissions again once you're in, and they're not really indicative of the administration as a whole.

Congratulations on your acceptance, though. I hope you wind up at the place that fits you best!
 
On November 11th, I notifed Western that I had been accepted at another school and they were able to tell me over the phone that I had been accepted. The letters were supposedly mailed out earlier that week and I should receive the letter by the end of the following week.

I waited and contacted them again when I hadn't received the letter. They told me patronizingly to be patient. Finally, when December 1st arrived (I interviewed on October 24th mind you), I emailed them again to tell them I had still not received the letter.

The response I got was that they would send me another letter again and that I would get an extension on the deadline which was December 1st.

IMHO, I have not had very good experiences with their administration throughout this entire process. From the time I tried to get a status on whether they received all my secondary application components to this missing letter of acceptance, I am not impressed.

Try to be patient with them. There are thousands of applicants, hundreds of interviewees, and only a few of them. I'm sure it was a simple error somewhere.

Relax, your in! 👍
 
Got my letter today, as I feared. Rejection =( this one hurts because its local and I really liked the program
 
Alternate list. BAH. Maybe I should have just lied about where I have gotten into so far. Question made me feel really uncomfortable :scared:. Hopefully things can change, I really liked this school!!! >_<"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate list. BAH. Maybe I should have just lied about where I have gotten into so far. Question made me feel really uncomfortable :scared:. Hopefully things can change, I really liked this school!!! >_<"

When did you interview? I'm still waiting for my decision from my 11/12 interview, aarrrgh!😡

Edit: Never mind. 11/19 I guess. Man mail takes forever to get to the east coast!
 
Last edited:
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail and I live in the Midwest. Keep your head up East coast peeps... it's on its way!!!