-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by danimjo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
does anyone know what the average gpa and mcat of those accepted is?
cGPA: 3.56
scGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 28
Source:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you that have been accepted, I was wondering if you wouldnt mind posting your stats? I'm very interested in applying for the next cycle (2010-2011) and I was wondering I how my stats compare to those getting accepted... I have a 3.49 cum, 3.39 sci, 10vr 12ps 12bs. and my ECs are good.
Your MCAT score is 2 standard deviations above the average score for Western. You'll be fine. Just apply early.
I had about the same gpa as you and a 30 on the mcat and was accepted.
30 MCAT, 3.6 cPGA, 3.5 sGPA from UCLA. I thought one of the best interviews I had and waitlisted. FML.
Got my accepted letter in the mail yesterday!! Very excited! 😀
My stats were 3.43 GPA and 26 MCAT for those wondering..
My stats were 3.43 GPA and 26 MCAT for those wondering..
Congrats to the latest wave of acceptances! 😀 And good luck to those on the alternate list- there is still hope! 
Feel free to jump in and join the "COMP 2014" Facebook group, we've already got some lively discussions going on over there!

Feel free to jump in and join the "COMP 2014" Facebook group, we've already got some lively discussions going on over there!
although western has the highest avg. mcat and gpa stats among DO schools, it seems they take ECs and research into heavy consideration.
29R (7 on verbal), 3.45 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. as you can see, my stats are avg at best but my ECs and research were outstanding. i also felt my interview couldn't have gone any better.
29R (7 on verbal), 3.45 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. as you can see, my stats are avg at best but my ECs and research were outstanding. i also felt my interview couldn't have gone any better.
For those of you that have been accepted, I was wondering if you wouldnt mind posting your stats? I'm very interested in applying for the next cycle (2010-2011) and I was wondering I how my stats compare to those getting accepted... I have a 3.49 cum, 3.39 sci, 10vr 12ps 12bs. and my ECs are good.
3.8 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 27T MCAT
although western has the highest avg. mcat and gpa stats among DO schools, it seems they take ECs and research into heavy consideration.
29R (7 on verbal), 3.45 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. as you can see, my stats are avg at best but my ECs and research were outstanding. i also felt my interview couldn't have gone any better.
I completely agree. Although I feel my interview couldn't have been any WORSE than it was, lol. 3 yrs research w/ a publication & 1.5 years of working as a medical assistant @ a hospital. Research and clinical experience is definitely what got me the acceptance... no doubt! My interview was horrible. Stuttered like I've never stuttered before hahaha. I have no idea why that happened. I've been amazing at all my other interviews. I think the LONG presentation in that small auditorium earlier in the day threw me off. I almost fell asleep and wanted to take a nap after lunch 🙂
For those of you that have been accepted, I was wondering if you wouldnt mind posting your stats? I'm very interested in applying for the next cycle (2010-2011) and I was wondering I how my stats compare to those getting accepted... I have a 3.49 cum, 3.39 sci, 10vr 12ps 12bs. and my ECs are good.
3.45 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA, 11vr 10ps 10bs. I worked almost full-time throughout college to support wife and kids, graduating with MPH in June, 6 mo. lab research besides my Master's research, 9 months and 100+ hours hospital volunteering, 50+ hours shadowing. 2 year mission trip to Russia. Hope it helps. You should be fine! My interview was rough too, but they didn't ask me much about my research. Just show them you're passionate about osteopathic medicine!!! 👍
Congrats to the latest wave of acceptances! 😀 And good luck to those on the alternate list- there is still hope!
Feel free to jump in and join the "COMP 2014" Facebook group, we've already got some lively discussions going on over there!
Does anyone know approximately how much "hope" one should have on the alternate list? I called today to check on my application because I'm about to put in a deposit elsewhere and the admissions lady didn't even pause 2 seconds before saying "no, your status has not changed," which lead me to believe they have not begun re-reviewing any of the alternate applications. In my letter said they would re-review them "periodically"... I am trying to stay hopeful, but I don't want to have unrealistic expectations... I will be sending them my updated transcripts at the end of the semester along with another letter of intent and some more LORs... I REALLY want to go here!

MCAT 27O cGPA 3.83 sGPA 3.6 Lots of volunteer clinical experience. No research. I thought I had a poor interview, but they were very interested in my music degree.
Does anyone know approximately how much "hope" one should have on the alternate list?
I heard that last year they over-accepted candidates and ended up offering deferment seats. The year before I heard the offered somewhere in the area of 5-10 seats to alternates.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^ that sounds really depressing. Western is still my top choice and i'm not sure if i'll be able to get off the alternate. I wonder how many people are on the alternate list currently. Last time i checked it was about 20 people. I'll be sending in those letter of interests soon. Keeping my finger crossed
Good luck to all those who are still on the alternate list.
I have a feeling they won't even look at us until next summer even though the letter says we can be taken off the list anytime between november and august.
Good luck to all those who are still on the alternate list.
I have a feeling they won't even look at us until next summer even though the letter says we can be taken off the list anytime between november and august.I heard that last year they over-accepted candidates and ended up offering deferment seats. The year before I heard the offered somewhere in the area of 5-10 seats to alternates.
I think that's starting to be standard practice. I know that KCOM and NSU did similar things last year (to be honest, NSU seemed more of an after the fact promotion than the other two schools). The alternate list spots are not deferment spots. The deferment spots are students that are actually "accepted," but don't get their money in before the seats fill up. Also, from my understanding last year was a weird year because the wait listed started moving much later than they expected, which is nerve wrecking even if you are really high on the list (I was #2 and I didn't get pulled from the 'admitted pending space' until late July. Something like 2-3 weeks before class started). My understanding is that the alternate list wasn't even reached last year.
while i am giving up hope of getting an interview, for those of you named alternates, i would still be hopeful. it seems like they are putting more people on the alternate list this year than last year so maybe they are trying to manage things better. i know sdn is a small sample but if you read the the old posts there was only 1 or 2 people last year that were alternates in the fall compared to a bunch this year.
while i am giving up hope of getting an interview, for those of you named alternates, i would still be hopeful. it seems like they are putting more people on the alternate list this year than last year so maybe they are trying to manage things better. i know sdn is a small sample but if you read the the old posts there was only 1 or 2 people last year that were alternates in the fall compared to a bunch this year.
Sandra, how long have you been complete? I have been waiting since 12/8.
3.80c
3.75s
9 10 11 O
Lots of good work experience with the government, a little non-med related research, 3 months volunteer medical assistant, lots of other comm/vol activities.
3.75s
9 10 11 O
Lots of good work experience with the government, a little non-med related research, 3 months volunteer medical assistant, lots of other comm/vol activities.
i was complete in september so that's why i don't have much hope...
Really, they haven't given you any word? I was complete since 11/23 and I'm not holding out much hope either, but I got the impression that they at least send you something in the mail to notify you, even if it's a rejection. I know NYCOM doesn't contact students that don't get invited for interview to tell them, applicants just have to get the message on their own. I have to say that really irritates me since we put in the time and money to apply, the least they could do is give us the courtesy of closure.
Then again, they could just be taking their time on apps/have lots of apps. CCOM took a while to get back to me as well.
Really, they haven't given you any word? I was complete since 11/23 and I'm not holding out much hope either, but I got the impression that they at least send you something in the mail to notify you, even if it's a rejection. I know NYCOM doesn't contact students that don't get invited for interview to tell them, applicants just have to get the message on their own. I have to say that really irritates me since we put in the time and money to apply, the least they could do is give us the courtesy of closure.
Then again, they could just be taking their time on apps/have lots of apps. CCOM took a while to get back to me as well.
I was complete on 10/6 and not invited to interview yet. I did get a letter, though, saying that I was on pre-interview hold and that my application had been reviewed but would be re-reviewed sometime.
I was complete on 10/6 and not invited to interview yet. I did get a letter, though, saying that I was on pre-interview hold and that my application had been reviewed but would be re-reviewed sometime.
Has anyone who received one of these notices been invited for an interview yet??
I was complete 2 weeks back.
I got an email saying it is currently taking 4 weeks for the committee to get back on whether one needs to attend an interview or not.
I got an email saying it is currently taking 4 weeks for the committee to get back on whether one needs to attend an interview or not.
Hey guys! New to the SDN forums! Hey I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the Western Secondaries. Western is pretty much my dream school as of now and it'd be great if someone could provide me some examples of the questions posed on the secondaries this year so I could work on them and get a feeling of the types of questions asked. Thanks!
I was #2 and I didn't get pulled from the 'admitted pending space' until late July.
That's really frustrating. I have put in my deposit for AZCOM and I'm worried if I get off the waitlist (should I be so lucky) I'll already be settled with my fiance in Phoenix ready for school to start and I'm not sure if I will be able to pick up and move all over again....
Also they ranked the alternates last year?? They told me there were no rankings so I have no idea how likely it is that I will have a chance of getting in 😕
Also they ranked the alternates last year?? They told me there were no rankings so I have no idea how likely it is that I will have a chance of getting in 😕
Well, there's two lists. There's the alternate list, and then there's the accepted pending space list. I have no clue about the former. The latter starts when the class fills up and is ranked in order of the deposits being received.
Hey guys! New to the SDN forums! Hey I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the Western Secondaries. Western is pretty much my dream school as of now and it'd be great if someone could provide me some examples of the questions posed on the secondaries this year so I could work on them and get a feeling of the types of questions asked. Thanks!
Try this link:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/secondary_application
Just got an interview invite...Im accepted to MSUcom already but Western was one of my top choices.... This is going to be a tough decision
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an interview invite...Im accepted to MSUcom already but Western was one of my top choices.... This is going to be a tough decision
Are you a Michigan resident?
yea Im a MI resident
yea Im a MI resident
I'm sure it's more cost effective to attend MSUCOM.
apevo:login to the aamc MCAT history page. There's an option under your scores that says "create and print my own official score report" Once you generate the report, it has the alphanumeric verification code on it.
Accepted!! 


Interviewed 12/3...the interview didn't go as well as I had hoped, so am I soooooo relieved/excited. This is my number one school!😍



Interviewed 12/3...the interview didn't go as well as I had hoped, so am I soooooo relieved/excited. This is my number one school!😍Blah. They sent me an e-mail that said they didn't wish to interview me at this time, but that they will be reviewing my app throughout the cycle. 🙁 I'm not holding my breath. Oh well, congrats to you guys that got accepted and good luck to those interviewing!
Linka: When were you complete here?
Linka: When were you complete here?
Nov. 23rd
interview invite for January! thats cool 😀
Stevo, If you dont mind me asking, When were you complete at Western? I am complete as of last week, but was told that it is taking about 4-5 weeks for them to review an application.
Just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday. I've applied to Western, but it's going to be a few weeks until AACOMAS even finish processing my primary. I'm a TN resident, and I feel quite behind in the whole process. Has anyone else recently submitted their primary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interview invite for January! thats cool 😀
Hey, did you get that invite today? e-mail or phone call? I'm still hoping for an invite!
Hey everyone!
I have a room for rent in a 4 bedroom house in Chino Hills, available now. You would be sharing the house with 3 other Western University students, for only about $700 a month which is an EXCELLENT deal for the beautiful area!! Shoot me a message if you are interested, and then I can go ahead and send you more information/pictures/etc. Thanks everyone! 🙂
I have a room for rent in a 4 bedroom house in Chino Hills, available now. You would be sharing the house with 3 other Western University students, for only about $700 a month which is an EXCELLENT deal for the beautiful area!! Shoot me a message if you are interested, and then I can go ahead and send you more information/pictures/etc. Thanks everyone! 🙂
Anyone else interviewed 12/17? I enjoyed meeting you guys, it was fun, especially seeing/smelling the cadavers.
What do they mean by "Applications received after 30 days may be delayed in processing."
I got the e-mail for it more than 30 days ago, but I was out of the country and haven't gotten around to it until now...am I at a serious disadvantage?
I dunno what they mean by "delayed processing" but most schools who give 30-day deadlines or whatever do so for their own sanity. So that they aren't sitting around for months twiddling their thumbs, and two weeks before some hard deadline they get flooded with 20,000 applications. I've contacted some other schools about these soft deadlines, and all of them were cool with getting my application after the 30 days. Just shoot them an email and ask.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K