Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very interesting. I interviewed late January, and was offered deferred acceptance since there "was no room in this year's class." I hope they suddenly have room for everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i just got accepted to touro nv and deferred acceptance to western university. I live in cali and my family is fairly close to campus so i'd definetly feel more peace of mind staying. Then again, knowing myself.. If I wait a year, i know i might become a very very super duper lazy person and kinda don't want to subject myself to that. I like to keep my productivity and I suppose my momentum going. Ultimately, my goals after finishing medical school is to practice in California which is already saturated with several other physicians. Do you think going straight to med school in henderson will affect my residency location or even practicing in California down the line? I mean, i looked at the residency matches and there are hardly any in ca in comparison to western.. Thanks for the input guys

Same situation here. I am from LA, so going to western would have been nice. But Touro NV is a great great school, and the cost of living is very low. Come to Touro NV and get your life started and get a great education. Hope to see you there

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting. I interviewed late January, and was offered deferred acceptance since there "was no room in this year's class." I hope they suddenly have room for everyone else.

Call to double check, but last year at the Lebanon campus, they pulled students from the deferred list first before reaching into the alternate list to fill up the class if spots ever opened up. Students could chose to remain "deferred" or to start class.

I would recommend paying the deposit for touro and to start getting excited about going there. A residency crunch is gonna go down starting 2015, so it's best to not wait for it to get progressively worse. Plus the fact that you'd lose 1 year of physician salary by waiting 1 year to go to Western.

Hey guys. I am finishing up my first year at WesternU.. Great school and I absolutely love it (despite my ID name of Wan2BanMD... no longer true :p) Anyhow, I live in an apt less than 10 min from school but will be gone over the summer so if any of u are planning on doing ISAC over the summer, give me a call and I can tell u about the room situation. I did ISAC last year and have all the stuff you will need from the course for you to use, and will be leaving my mattress, desk, & big screen TV in the room for whoever rents it out, so it will be an easy place to stay for the course while you are looking for a permanent place to stay and meeting people who you may want to room with. If you like the property, I believe at least one of my roommates will be moving out next year, so you could probably move in if you wanted to. Anyhow, if you are interested in renting mid-June to mid-August, let me know!!! $700 a month w all utilities & a private bathroom connected, plus parking. [email protected]

I guess I can stop chasing down the mailman until next week! Thanks!

FYI, I got my decision letter in the mail on Saturday (letter dated Mar21 for Mar1 interview). Best of luck to you!

FYI, I got my decision letter in the mail on Saturday (letter dated Mar21 for Mar1 interview). Best of luck to you!

Thanks! How did it turn out for you? I'm looking forward to getting mine this week!

I got the Alternate status :( Has anyone been pulled off the waitlist yet?

Yeah, um, so, as I have stated before- I interviewed back in January and was given deferred acceptance for next year due to "no space in this year's class." I hope they did the ethical thing by telling you their situation while you were there to interview. I am guessing they didn't. Western should get it's act together. I hope you get accepted somewhere soon- I am sure you deserve it. Good luck yo.

I interviewed there last week, along with about 50 others, and they said they still had spots available for this year's class.

I doubt they'd flat out lie to us.

interviewed here last week also. i believe it works something like this..

1. class gets filled
2. deferred acceptances are offered
2. spots open up as people get accepted to other schools
3. straight up acceptances are given out
4. class gets filled again
5. more def acceptances are offered

its out of our hands

anyone recall when we were supposed to hear back? interviewed last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I'm guessing sometime next week. They said roughly 15 business days...

That's what they told us (interviewed on the 1st), but its been about a month and still havent heard back.

Hey guys, I interviewed on 1/28 and was given a deferred acceptance. I have been accepted at another school, and I am absolutely set on going to school this fall. However, Western is my first choice and I would love to go there. When I emailed Ana, I got the impression that since the deferred "movement" begins in June and the $2000 deposit is due in July, that I could possibly be offered a seat to the c/o 2016 WITHOUT paying my deposit in advance. As you can see, I'm in a tough spot and I would like to save the 2k if possible. Is anyone else in my situation and/or knows about how the deposit/deferred acceptance works? Thanks!

I interviewed there last week, along with about 50 others, and they said they still had spots available for this year's class.

I doubt they'd flat out lie to us.

Wow, if you really believe this, then I have a bridge to nowhere I want to sell you. Oh, and yeah, I promise to pay you back.

I interviewed on March 1 and called Admissions yesterday and Martha said that my decision had been sent out yesterday (Tuesday). I should be getting it tomorrow or Friday so I'll check back in. Hopefully there really are seats left, but if not, here's to the waitlist!

Wow, if you really believe this, then I have a bridge to nowhere I want to sell you. Oh, and yeah, I promise to pay you back.

I don't think they're lying about open spots. I think DocOfTheBay has a point on how the spots open up/get filled:

interviewed here last week also. i believe it works something like this..

1. class gets filled
2. deferred acceptances are offered
2. spots open up as people get accepted to other schools
3. straight up acceptances are given out
4. class gets filled again
5. more def acceptances are offered

I interviewed in February and got an acceptance for the upcoming class instead of the def. acceptance. It just depends on how many spots have opened up when committee meets, at this point.

if the adcom is on same schedule as last month.. there might be a chance some 3/17 interviews decisions are out also. this is pure speculation. im at work and cant make the call to the admissions office. anyone care to find out?

I emailed them today and they said that the 3/17 decisions will be made tomorrow when the admissions committee meets.

Hey guys, I interviewed on 1/28 and was given a deferred acceptance. I have been accepted at another school, and I am absolutely set on going to school this fall. However, Western is my first choice and I would love to go there. When I emailed Ana, I got the impression that since the deferred "movement" begins in June and the $2000 deposit is due in July, does that mean I could possibly be offered a seat to the c/o 2016 WITHOUT paying my deposit in advance. As you can see, I'm in a tough spot and I would like to save the 2k if possible. Is anyone else in my situation and/or knows about how the deposit/deferred acceptance works? Thanks!

Anyone have any insight to this? I also received a deferred acceptance. Interviewed 3/1

Anyone have any insight to this? I also received a deferred acceptance. Interviewed 3/1

I would seriously consider starting school where you were accepted. You will get essentially the same education at any school. What is more important is where you do your residency, and there are projected to be residency shortages in the coming years. So getting started with your education now would be more beneficial that waiting another year. Best of luck to you.

I would seriously consider starting school where you were accepted. You will get essentially the same education at any school. What is more important is where you do your residency, and there are projected to be residency shortages in the coming years. So getting started with your education now would be more beneficial that waiting another year. Best of luck to you.

I am 100% sure I will start school this fall. My question was about how the deposit and deferred acceptance works...

I think calling the admissions office would be your best bet. I dont think they'd see it negatively, your situation is understandable. Who wants to put down $2000 if its not necessary?

I interviewed March 1 and received a Deferred Acceptance today...

Bittersweet feeling I guess. I interviewed on the 17th and from the looks of it it seems that for those of us who interviewed that day will have to wait until mid April to hear back..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Bittersweet feeling I guess. I interviewed on the 17th and from the looks of it it seems that for those of us who interviewed that day will have to wait until mid April to hear back..

It is definitely bittersweet. I'm on several waitlists and am hoping one comes through for this year but it is nice to know I have an option open to me and that I'll get to be a doctor (even if it isn't on my time table).

Hi- did the admissions office tell you that? I also interviewed March 17th, and several people posted that our admissions decisions would be decided yesterday (March 29th) at committee, which would fit with their 10-15 day prediction. Hopefully they didn't decide to delay this :/

Nope, I'm on the East coast though so I expect I won't hear anything until everyone else gets their letters.

I interviewed 3/17, and called yesterday. I was told that the committee needed to meet again to finish all the applications. I was also told that actual decision letters SHOULD be mailed out by monday (4/9). So it looks like all said and told it will be a whole month from the interview date, as others have said as well. Best of luck!

I'm guessing they're also delaying mailing out the decisions just in case more spots open up/accepted students decline or don't pay their deposits.

what would be my chances here w/ a 3.5c, 3.55s, and 31N (9/11/11)? what are the stats of most ppl getting waitlisted here/taken off waitlist would you say? i'm going to apply urm oos..

what would be my chances here w/ a 3.5c, 3.55s, and 31N (9/11/11)? what are the stats of most ppl getting waitlisted here/taken off waitlist would you say? i'm going to apply urm oos..

Your stats are very competitive.
I was deferred: 3.6 undergrad, 4.0 grad (master's in chemistry), 32 S, 3 years research (presentations, seminars, etc.), 2-3 years volunteering in a hospice.

Good luck to you

hmm.. why did they defer you? did you apply late in the season? This school is basically my top choice I think I could maybe get some allopathic but in nowhere near as good as a location as this :/

hmm.. why did they defer you? did you apply late in the season? This school is basically my top choice I think I could maybe get some allopathic but in nowhere near as good as a location as this :/

I applied way in the beginning. They deferred me as they had no open spots the time the decision was made. However, they have offered outright acceptances to others interviewed since then, as spots had apparently opened. I don't like the system they used, but it is what it is. I will be in touch with them to see if they can offer me a spot this year. Regardless, I have several other offers, so I am truly blessed.

excellent... although yea I agree that's kinda odd they deferred you and outright accepted others. Can I ask where else you got in? I'm curious what places were the most friendly to an oos w stats like yours

excellent... although yea I agree that's kinda odd they deferred you and outright accepted others. Can I ask where else you got in? I'm curious what places were the most friendly to an oos w stats like yours

I was accepted to Touro CA, Touro NY, Touro Nevada, and LECOM. I am waitlisted at VCU MD, Wayne State MD, and Creighton MD. Technically, no outright rejections (yet). I hope an MD picks me up, but if they don't, I will be very happy in Nevada. Take a look at Touro Nevada and NY- they are great schools. I would have gone to NY, if I didn't mind being a prisoner to the debt from living expenses from living in that city. Nevada has a great program, affordable living, and is close to California for me. I don't exactly have the nicest things to say about Touro CA, so I won't say anything. Western-COMP is awesome, and I would love to go there, but it is out of my hands.

ahhh awesome. I just looked at touro-nv's 2011 match list and you're right, as good as any essentially. Question- Do you think your chances at schools outside of CA were affected (positively or negatively) by being from CA?

ahhh awesome. I just looked at touro-nv's 2011 match list and you're right, as good as any essentially. Question- Do you think your chances at schools outside of CA were affected (positively or negatively) by being from CA?

Yeah Touro NV is great all around. I focused applying to schools that accept a good percentage of out of state applicants. I stayed away from others that preferred in state applicants. The AACOM website has statistics for where matriculants for each school are coming from.

Good luck to all of you! Does anybody know when the dealing is for withdrawing from other programs for multiple acceptances??? I am having a hard time choosing a school!

Called today. Letters will go out Monday or Tuesday.

Alright just called the admissions office and they told me that decision letters would probably be sent out later on this week.

When are deposits due? I'm on the deferred list and was wondering when a wave of people may decide on other schools and have spots for this year open up

Just recieved the letter in the mail, Interviewed 3/17, accepted!