Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just recieved the letter in the mail, Interviewed 3/17, accepted!

Congrats! Good to hear they're still offering straight acceptances.

Mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:
Kobe! Good stuff, congrats

What kind of envelope did it come in? I dont think my letter will arrive until tomorrow..

Congratulations! Just received my decision letter today as well and received a deferred acceptance =/ bittersweet feeling. I remember somebody mentioning that everyone that was offered a deferred acceptance were eventually offered an invitation to join the incoming class. Does anyone know when they begin offering these invitations and are there any current MS Is that received a deferred acceptance and eventually offered an acceptance to the incoming class? I have no idea what to do...WesternU is my top choice and i have to decide between starting this fall at AZCOM or next year at WsternU...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:
Kobe! Good stuff, congrats

What kind of envelope did it come in? I dont think my letter will arrive until tomorrow..

Comes in a regular thin envelope.

Also, does anyone know if I have to pay the $2000 deposit first in order to be considered for an invitation to join the incoming class? Thanks.

I'm assuming those who got their letters today live on the west coast? Also, when was your letter postmarked?

I'm assuming those who got their letters today live on the west coast? Also, when was your letter postmarked?

Yup I live in one of the many suburbs within SoCal about 30 min away from Pomona. My letter was postmarked on the 10th of this month.

Normal sized envelope, but there were a few pieces of paper so it was a bit thick in size. Postmarked April 10th. PM if you want to know stats. GL to everyone!

And yes I live in LA

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many deferred acceptances they give out?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many deferred acceptances they give out?

Basically, if your goal is to attend school this fall, a deferred acceptance is equivalent to a rejection right?

In regards to attending school this fall, I think a deferred acceptance is about the same as a high wait list.
I remember reading that all or almost all of the deferred acceptances were eventually offered spots for the same year last application cycle.

In regards to attending school this fall, I think a deferred acceptance is about the same as a high wait list.
I remember reading that all or almost all of the deferred acceptances were eventually offered spots for the same year last application cycle.
Is there a source for that? It seems like there have been a ton of people here who have gotten a deferred acceptance. For them all to receive a seat seems kind of a lot.

Is there a source for that? It seems like there have been a ton of people here who have gotten a deferred acceptance. For them all to receive a seat seems kind of a lot.

Yea I feel the same way too. I sent out an email to my admissions counselor asking about the likelihood of being accepted out of the deferred acceptance list.

Yea I feel the same way too. I sent out an email to my admissions counselor asking about the likelihood of being accepted out of the deferred acceptance list.

I read it on sdn, if its not in this year's thread, its in the 2011 thread. its just what i read on sdn.. lol not sure what its worth.

but it could happen.. if a good number of def acceptances get accepted elsewhere and/or some actually opt for the year off before starting med school.

If i was younger and fresh out of undergrad i would probably go for a year off, knowing that ive already been accepted into med school.. but im getting old and need to start school asap lol

Members don't see this ad :)
If most deferred acceptance people get invited to the class of 2016, does that mean that the people who were waitlisted will most likely be rejected?

Interviewed 3/17, got letter in the mail today- alternate status.

If most deferred acceptance people get invited to the class of 2016, does that mean that the people who were waitlisted will most likely be rejected?
I just emailed the admissions office after receiving my alternate status today, and it sounds like the admissions committee reviews both lists (deferred acceptances and alternate status) to fill seats for this year's class, and that there is not a preference or priority for one list over the other. Interesting. I'm not sure how they determine which applicants should be offered deferred acceptances and which should be alternates, but it sounds like we all have a shot.

While the admissions office states this, I am pretty sure this is not the case. If you look back and read pretty much every application cycle in the past, many people on the deferred acceptance waitlist were accepted before any people on the regular alternate list were accepted (this is only SDN reports though). Not to discourage anyone on the regular alternate last year, but when I was on the alternate list last cycle 2010-2011, they told me the alternate list barely moved, and eventually when school started I never got a call.

I realize every application cycle is different, so if you are on the regular waitlist and really want to go to WesternU I would send a letter of intent right away and send periodic update letters with new information that also display how WesternU is your #1 choice. Good luck everyone!

Sup guys I interviewed on 3/17 and got my letter of acceptance today, all the way over in Maryland. For anyone else that got in, there's a facebook page for the 2016 class, but no activity on it at all so I dn if it's worth anythin right now. Good luck to everyone!

While the admissions office states this, I am pretty sure this is not the case. If you look back and read pretty much every application cycle in the past, many people on the deferred acceptance waitlist were accepted before any people on the regular alternate list were accepted (this is only SDN reports though). Not to discourage anyone on the regular alternate last year, but when I was on the alternate list last cycle 2010-2011, they told me the alternate list barely moved, and eventually when school started I never got a call.

I realize every application cycle is different, so if you are on the regular waitlist and really want to go to WesternU I would send a letter of intent right away and send periodic update letters with new information that also display how WesternU is your #1 choice. Good luck everyone!

i agree, people were given deferred acceptances instead of alternate status for a reason. perhaps western will "consider" alternates only when necessary.. lets say an accepted asian female doesnt attend and there are no asian females left in the deferred acceptance group, they will pull off the alternate list.

I also wanted to add updates and letters of intent could possibly change your "ranking" for the alternate list and be competitive against the deferred acceptances.

thanks ooitsrich, i was searching for western university of health sci, rather than "COMP"

Hey all. I also interviewed on 3/17, but still haven't received anything in the mail. I only live two states away from California, so I assumed I would have received a letter by now (assuming that everyone's letter was mailed on the 10th, which the admissions office indicated was the case when I called them). Anyone else in my same boat? Interviewed on 3/17 and still waiting for your letter in the mail? I'm just getting really antsy...obviously.

I live in Washington and I received my letter yesterday from Western. I interviewed March 17th and I received deferred admissions. Part of me is ecstatic because I can have a year to travel and have fun and know for sure that I will be attending a medical school in the fall of 2013, and part of me still really wants to know whether we can apply to other schools during next year without turning down the offer from Western. It doesn't state anything in the contract about applying to other schools during next year. The only reason why I'm so curious is because I have changed my residency since applying, and now that I'm establishing residency in Washington, I can apply to UW which has the #1 rural/underserved medicine program in the country (which is what I want to do). But I am SO HAPPY about Western - what a great program and I would be so happy to attend this school!

Hey all. I also interviewed on 3/17, but still haven't received anything in the mail. I only live two states away from California, so I assumed I would have received a letter by now (assuming that everyone's letter was mailed on the 10th, which the admissions office indicated was the case when I called them). Anyone else in my same boat? Interviewed on 3/17 and still waiting for your letter in the mail? I'm just getting really antsy...obviously.

I haven't gotten anything either. I'm just in Oregon, so I thought it would have came already.

I haven't gotten anything either. I'm just in Oregon, so I thought it would have came already.
Thanks for the feedback mgill52. I actually spoke with the admissions office again and found out that my letter just got mailed today. So apparently not all of the 3/17 interviewees had their letter mailed out last week, which is what I was assuming. Hope yours comes soon!

Anyone know when deposits are due for accepted people? Is it coming up or has it just passed?

Does anyone know what else we are supposed to do for deferred acceptances? Other than turn in a deposit, are we supposed to do any paperwork, or do we just wait from there? Thanks!

For those who got accepted, did you have all of the recommended courses such as immunology?

Does anyone know what else we are supposed to do for deferred acceptances? Other than turn in a deposit, are we supposed to do any paperwork, or do we just wait from there? Thanks!

One of the applicants asked this question during the presentation. If memory serves, background check & physical exams are only required once they offer you an acceptance. The deposit probably has to be paid in the time period stated in the letter. Maybe confirm this with adcom? Good luck!

For those of you who have been accepted, did you provide them with a MD or DO letter of recommendation? I only have an MD LOR, but I have a fear that they will not grant me an interview if I do not have a LOR from a DO. Advice and tips?

I just had MD letters and I was interviewed and accepted.

I've read that interviews this year were going to include scenarios, where you are given 1 minute to read a scenario and 5 minutes to demonstrate how you would react to the scenario.

Can anyone who has gone through the interview process give me some insight about this? What kinds of scenarios are you presented with and was any of it stressful? Thanks

I liked this style of interview. Well you are correct that there are scenarios, but then after you have a standard 30min interview with 1-2 faculty. We can't give you too much detail on the scenarios because we had to sign a confidentiality statement. Just relax and be honest in the scenarios and you will do fine. I was nervous about it, but in the end I liked it compared to others.

Hi guys,
I interviewed on 1/28 and was initially given a deferred acceptance. But I got a call today notifying me that they had a seat for me! :) so don't give up hope if you're deferred and want to matriculate this year.

Also, I did not pay my deferred deposit so I guess that doesn't factor in

Congrats!!! did you send western a letter of intent?

Hi guys,
I interviewed on 1/28 and was initially given a deferred acceptance. But I got a call today notifying me that they had a seat for me! :) so don't give up hope if you're deferred and want to matriculate this year.

Also, I did not pay my deferred deposit so I guess that doesn't factor in

ACCEPTED!!!!!
picked up from the deferred list!!!!
#BossSwag
A$AP Doc
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Wow that's really great to hear that they're now accepting from the deferred list before May 15! Congrats guys! I hope I can get pulled soon from the deferred list!

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!!!
picked up from the deferred list!!!!
#BossSwag
A$AP Doc
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Yo HYFR when did you interview if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious to see if they're offering acceptances to those who first obtained a deferred acceptance early on in the cycle. I interviewed last month on the 17th.

for those who have been accepted, do you guys mind sharing your GPA and MCAT?

Yo HYFR when did you interview if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious to see if they're offering acceptances to those who first obtained a deferred acceptance early on in the cycle. I interviewed last month on the 17th.
I interviewed near the end of January. I was relentless in emailing updates at least once a week. I called my admissions counselor up to twice a week. I let them know how honored I would be to go there and what I have done since interviewing to improve. It might have been a bit OCD, but it is sooooo worth it now! ! !
#swag ! ! !

Congrats to those getting accepted!!!!!!!

Anyone accepted off the regular alternate list yet? I'm not ready to give up on Western :xf: