Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what's the preview day?? =S

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email saying they're all but rejecting me as of now. Kind of blows, since this was one of the schools I was really excited about. I wonder if there's anything else I can do? Should I e-mail them saying how much I really want to go? Maybe my essays weren't as good as I first thought they were.

Just got an email saying they're all but rejecting me as of now. Kind of blows, since this was one of the schools I was really excited about. I wonder if there's anything else I can do? Should I e-mail them saying how much I really want to go? Maybe my essays weren't as good as I first thought they were.

Me too brother. I'm gonna wait a little bit to rack up some more volunteer hours and get my D.O. letter of Rec. before I send them an update letter of interest/intent/whatever it's called.

It's worth sending a letter of interest if it's one of your top picks.

If you're really serious about the school, then perhaps you should consider it. Problem is, that's not a course of action to be toyed with. If you do send a letter that states something along the lines of "I will go to your school if you please, please let me in" then you are absolutely expected to go if they offer you a spot. Backing out later in the process to attend a different school could look really bad.

I don't know what your interview offers have been like, but, perhaps it's worth waiting until you've seen other schools to begin thinking about this. There's always the chance you could fall in love with another school. It absolutely happened to me.

If you need more info, search for "Letter of Intent" on Studentdoctor.

Just a side note as the interview season gets underway -

Gentlemen, if you need a suit, consider checking out your local Men's Wearhouse. They're having a sale on suits, and on top of that, it's buy one, get one for $100. You can probably get some gift certificates/rewards out of it too if you ask about their free rewards program. There's also something about a gift certificate if your birthday is coming up.

If you're more fashion-oriented, I'll just go ahead and say that I was pleasantly surprised on my trip there today. Their Joseph Abboud suits are at least partially canvassed for $499 (with the deal, $300 each) and their suit styles are focusing more on trimmer, properly fitting styles - high armholes, relatively close-fitting sleeves, slightly shorter jacket lengths, double-vented jackets, and pickstitching on the lapels (not my preference, but popular at the moment) are available. If you're looking for a more traditional look, it's available as well.

Finally - if you can't afford to buy a new suit right now, don't worry about it. I wore an old suit that was a size too big with too-long sleeves and was accepted at a couple schools. So long as your suit, shirt, and tie are clean and unwrinkled, it'll be fine, so be confident and do well on the interview. It's an interview at a medical school, not a fashion school. They know that the majority of pre-meds can't afford to drop a thousand or even $200 on a new suit and tailoring. You don't really want to be at a school that judges you for your suit instead of your achievements, anyway.

Note (because I know somebody is going to argue): If you, the reader, are considering posting about how a MTM/Brooks Brothers/whatever suit is better quality than any Men's Wearhouse OTR, I really don't care. You're missing the point.

Last edited:
To add to the very good points above, if you're choosing between a cheaper suit and an expensive one, getting the cheap suit and having it tailored perfectly afterward will take you farther in terms of impact per dollar for sure!!

Note (because I know somebody is going to argue): If you, the reader, are considering posting about how a MTM/Brooks Brothers/whatever suit is better quality than any Men's Wearhouse OTR, I really don't care. You're missing the point.

But I feel the need to justify my Brooks Brother's suit purchase by arguing on the internet! That's how it works right?

Definitely stick within your price range, and leave money to get it tailored. A "cheap suit" can look like a million bucks with the proper tailoring. As long as you FEEL like a million bucks, then no one really needs to know how much your suit cost :thumbup:

But I feel the need to justify my Brooks Brother's suit purchase by arguing on the internet! That's how it works right?

You may only mention your purchase if the total cost was more than $1500 or was made by Zegna, Paul Stuart, or Hickey Freeman. One nonchalant remark about surgeon's cuffs is allowed every 72 hours but may be used more often in exceptional circumstances as outlined in Section 34b.227 of the Common Man Law.

(Edit: I think I just made a nonchalant remark about surgeon's cuffs.)

It's funny - nowhere else have I seen more impassioned discussion about suiting than on SDN. Even Styleforums (yes, I've been there) is more low-key. There's an old thread floating around on SDN where some guy, IIRC, went to Hong Kong to get a custom-made suit, spending >$2K on the suit + shirt + tie + shoes. It sent people into hysterics, and I hope to avoid that.

To top all of this off, I had some pre-med here tell me that it was impossible for me to have gotten acceptances without a well-fitted/tailored suit. They wanted scanned copies of my acceptance letters as proof.

Just as a general statement for this thread - if you feel like you have to be well-dressed in order to be confident at your interview, go for it. You don't need a great suit for interviews, but that doesn't mean you can't have one if you feel you need it.

Last edited:
To add to the very good points above, if you're choosing between a cheaper suit and an expensive one, getting the cheap suit and having it tailored perfectly afterward will take you farther in terms of impact per dollar for sure!!

Good point. Just so we can have it for this thread, what price/breakdown would you set for suit tailoring? I would expect $50-75, average.

To add more - shoulders fit is paramount. Tailors generally can't do much about the shoulders so don't expect miracles there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. Just so we can have it for this thread, what price/breakdown would you set for suit tailoring? I would expect $50-75, average.

To add more - shoulders fit is paramount. Tailors generally can't do much about the shoulders so don't expect miracles there.

Yea, roughly 50-75$. There's a huge Men's Clothing Thread #3 in the Pre-Allo forums if anyone's interested.

My brook's brothers suit came with free alterations :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :smuggrin:

It's funny - nowhere else have I seen more impassioned discussion about suiting than on SDN. Even Styleforums (yes, I've been there) is more low-key. There's an old thread floating around on SDN where some guy, IIRC, went to Hong Kong to get a custom-made suit, spending >$2K on the suit + shirt + tie + shoes. It sent people into hysterics, and I hope to avoid that.
haha when I was living in Israel a good friend of mine went on vacation to thailand...he had 2 custom made tailored hugo boss knock off suits made for im not joking $30 bucks each, they looked sick

I'm not sure. I've always bought suits from places that include the tailoring in the suit price.

haha when I was living in Israel a good friend of mine went on vacation to thailand...he had 2 custom made tailored hugo boss knock off suits made for im not joking $30 bucks each, they looked sick

This.^^

The thought of going out of the country, especially HK, to drop that much coin on a custom made suit is unheard of to me.

This.^^

The thought of going out of the country, especially HK, to drop that much coin on a custom made suit is unheard of to me.

HK is well known for having tailors who do top quality work and are willing to work for less than a comparable English or American tailor, and you can easily find off-the-rack suiting for $2K in America. Go fully custom, use high-end fabrics, and the cost can become astronomical. It's like any other hobby - some people drop money on bikes, backpacking gear, computers, food - whatever. Some people spend their earnings learning about or acquiring expensive clothing. Take a look into the finer points of suiting and you might get sucked in. It started for me when I was looking for a suit for interviews, but afterwards, I just kept reading and reading.

I haven't seen the $30 Thai suits and am not remotely close to being an expert, but I would be shocked if they were similar in quality to high-end HK product. That doesn't mean that the suits look bad, but, different details matter to different people. There is not single style of suit that appeals to all people, and the decision-making process does not simply stop at "center vent vs. side vents?"

Of course, just to take a step back and refocus on the objective, this forum is primarily directed at getting pre-meds into medical schools. The idea that one would be required to spent thousands of dollars on suiting in order to be taken seriously at interviews is foolish at best. As I said before - showing up with an unwrinkled suit, tie, and shirt is basically all that's necessary. Most professors don't even have the time or desire to worry about their own suiting, so I doubt that it would even make a blip on the interviewer's general impression of the applicant. Applicant confidence is more important.

Last edited:
This.^^

whats funny is that he had the markings for any company you wanted and he'd sew it into the knock off suit...but it was still great quality for so cheap...my friend told me he would have gotten more but theres a customs law saying you can only take out of thailand max of 2 suits hahaha

I can tell you, I felt both a real hugo boss and his knock off and they feel and look very similar...but the tailor told my friend it wouldnt last as long as a real 1...he said he probably would need a new suit in 2 years

Yeah, my shopping experience in HK was the opposite of that, but then again, most of the stuff I snagged from there were cheap quality goods.

Anyways, anyone interviewing this upcoming Thursday?

Yeah, my shopping experience in HK was the opposite of that, but then again, most of the stuff I snagged from there were cheap quality goods.

Anyways, anyone interviewing this upcoming Thursday?

I think its kinda funny that this thread has turned into a thread about fashion advice rather than Western stuff :) thanks for all the advice fashionistas!

I think its kinda funny that this thread has turned into a thread about fashion advice rather than Western stuff :) thanks for all the advice fashionistas!
as barney stinson would say...the suit speaks louder than words :p

Hi! I have a quick question about submitting the secondary.

According to the instructions, it is recommended to submit the app + LOR within 10 days or else it will result in "delayed processing." How strict is the school with the 10 days rule? Since I'm still waiting on my new MCAT scores, wouldn't my app be put on hold anyways until they receive the new scores?

Thanks in advance!

what hotel is everyone stayin' @ this thursday?

Hi! I have a quick question about submitting the secondary.

According to the instructions, it is recommended to submit the app + LOR within 10 days or else it will result in "delayed processing." How strict is the school with the 10 days rule? Since I'm still waiting on my new MCAT scores, wouldn't my app be put on hold anyways until they receive the new scores?

Thanks in advance!

I rec'd my secondary 8/5 and submitted the secondary essay, etc on 8/18 and LOR were finished on 9/7 so I def went over the 10 day mark. I rec'd an interview invite on 9/14. So there is hope, but I wouldn't test them on their policies if you know what I mean. Do it as soon as you can.. I would prioritize your schools.

I rec'd my secondary 8/5 and submitted the secondary essay, etc on 8/18 and LOR were finished on 9/7 so I def went over the 10 day mark. I rec'd an interview invite on 9/14. So there is hope, but I wouldn't test them on their policies if you know what I mean. Do it as soon as you can.. I would prioritize your schools.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely can submit my end within the 10 days mark. Unfortunately, my LOR is the one that's currently tied up so it won't make the deadline. Plus, I'm wondering if the school will wait for my new score to be released before reviewing my app.

Good luck to those applying to WesternU this application cycle!!

Tips:
-Get that secondary in!
-If you get an interview, don't stay in Pomona (scary). Stay in the nicer areas (Fairplex area, Claremont, Chino Hills, Ontario, La Verne).
-If you get admitted, make the best of the time you have before starting school because it's just studying, studying, and more studying from then on.

Cheers! (and now back to studying...) :p

-If you get an interview, don't stay in Pomona (scary). Stay in the nicer areas (Fairplex area, Claremont, Chino Hills, Ontario, La Verne).

Pomona is really not that scary (unless you've lived in carefully groomed suburbs your whole life), and Fairplex is basically part of Pomona. Come on.

If anyone is interviewing tomorrow (Sept 22), staying at the Comfort Inn in Pomona tonight, and wants to hang out for a bit tonight, message me and let me know! I should fly in at around 3pm

Pomona is really not that scary (unless you've lived in carefully groomed suburbs your whole life), and Fairplex is basically part of Pomona. Come on.

Inglewood always up to no good :laugh:

Unfortunately I'm in BFE relatively speaking (staying with a friend) and am afraid of the commute more than anything.

I need to separate my warm, fuzzy feelings of being back in my home state from the warm, fuzzy feelings I might get tomorrow at the interview. I missed CA a lot more than I realized! :(

Pomona can be a little intimidating to some, I had a friend who interviewed last year and had pretty much decided against Western after seeing a few hookers and homeless people in close proximity to their hotel and the school. Western is in a nice part of Pomona and most everyone either lives in the apartments directly adjacent to school or in the nicer surrounding areas. Things to keep in mind if Pomona freaks you out.

Where is everyone staying tonight? I'm scrambling to find a hotel (cancelled my reservation in Pomona after an 88 yr old lady on my flight scared me)

Where is everyone staying tonight? I'm scrambling to find a hotel (cancelled my reservation in Pomona after an 88 yr old lady on my flight scared me)

I decided to just stay at the Quality Inn in Ontario (right by the airport). If anyone wants to meet up tonight, send me a message. I can also offer rides to Western tomorrow morning.

wtf?!?!?!?!

Haha yeah... she said I need to watch my back... and front. She also told me to take off all jewelry and to not walk around outside. I asked a few people at the info desk at the airport and they kind of felt the same way.

Haha yeah... she said I need to watch my back... and front. She also told me to take off all jewelry and to not walk around outside. I asked a few people at the info desk at the airport and they kind of felt the same way.

pomona is not that bad... i'm @ the comfort inn right now. they have really good mexican restaurants around here.

Good god man. Have you not seen a lower-income area before??

Really, Pomona is not that ghetto. You're not going to get mugged, and why would you if you're going straight from the airport TO YOUR HOTEL? Regular people live in Pomona too, y'know?

Don't go looking for trouble, and it won't come to you. (read: if you see drug deals/prostitutes on Holt late at night, best not to stop around there y'know?)

And yea, Pomona does have great restaurants. Recommend Tijuana's Tacos for authentic stuff.

GOOD LUCK to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

Edit: By the way, very few students live in Pomona (except those living on campus). Most live in Claremont, so if you have the opportunity to rent a car, it's worth it to take a look at the downtown claremont area after you're done with interviews!

Last edited:
Edit: By the way, very few students live in Pomona (except those living on campus). Most live in Claremont, so if you have the opportunity to rent a car, it's worth it to take a look at the downtown claremont area after you're done with interviews!

There are plenty that live in the Helix/Met next to the school. There are also a ton that live in Chino Hills. I know because I see a bunch of blue-tagged cars when I leave my apartment in the mornings.

Well Western definitely delivered today in terms of what I'm looking for and has the added plus of being in my home state. Pleaaaaaase let me in!!!!!111

:laugh:

Anyone who interviewed today willing to share their thoughts??

Did they say when the results will be available?

It says 10-15 days in the info packet but were told in 2-3 weeks we should get a response via snail mail.

I liked their interview format, tbh. Were you there today as well? :)

It says 10-15 days in the info packet but were told in 2-3 weeks we should get a response via snail mail.

I liked their interview format, tbh. Were you there today as well? :)

Thanks for the info!

No I wasn't there... How was MMI? And how many other applicants were there?

Anyone who interviewed today willing to share their thoughts??

Anyone care to share their experience? The interview style or type of questions they were asked? I have not had an interview yet and am trying to prepare for it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Anyone care to share their experience? The interview style or type of questions they were asked? I have not had an interview yet and am trying to prepare for it. Any ideas?

Have your advisor or someone do a mock interview with you. The traditional interview part was pretty relaxed.

The MMI portion was actually pretty fun. You do turn in a confidentiality statement before you proceed to your stations, though. Just take a deep breath and take your time.

Last edited: