Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just stopping by to wish you all good luck! Western U is an amazing school, if you get an interview invite- definitely make sure to check it out!
Regarding Pomona, it's really not that bad. I live about 2-3 mins away from campus and it's totally fine. Like a previous poster stated, don't go looking for trouble and it won't find you. :)

Also, remember that for the interview(s) it's ok to take a minute to formulate your thoughts. They'd rather hear coherent thoughts than a string of displaced and rehearsed lines.

Lastly, before you start medical school (whether it's at Western U or not) make sure to REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy your summer. Any attempt to "prepare and study ahead" will be futile.

Members don't see this ad.

Lastly, before you start medical school (whether it's at Western U or not) make sure to REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy your summer. Any attempt to "prepare and study ahead" will be futile.

So ixnay on the ISAC?

So ixnay on the ISAC?

If you don't do ISAC you're not at a disadvantage. Those who did ISAC enjoyed it, but honestly I was thankful that I made the most out of that summer. Spend it with family, friends, significant other, etc because once school starts you'll hardly have time to make a 15 minute phone call.

When I said, "any attempt to prepare and study ahead will be futile" I meant it as in studying a gross anatomy book on your own. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is helpful. I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Pomona and walked to school and back for the the interview. I never felt unsafe. It just didn't feel like much to write home about. I am sure there are more interesting areas, but I didn't have a car or time to explore so I didn't get to see them. Any other thoughts on the area. I'm pretty sure I'll love the school, should I get accepted, but I need someone to sell me on the area.

hello!
I was wondering who else had 11/2 interviews.
You see, i was wondering if I should stay an extra few hours or an extra night if people were wanting to chill after the interviews.

Just withdrew my application. Should be an interview opening up at the end of october. Can't remember the exact date but I had a Saturday interview.

Just submitted my secondary. How long will it take to know if I get an interview?

I just found out that this secondary was (sort of?) due after two weeks of receiving the email. On their website, I've seen two weeks, ten days, ,"secondary applications will be accepted until February," and something about having a delay in processing. Anyone have any experience/insight with this? This was one of my top choices...sigh.

Western

Y U no online portal to see adcom decision before snail mail arrives?!

I just found out that this secondary was (sort of?) due after two weeks of receiving the email. On their website, I've seen two weeks, ten days, ,"secondary applications will be accepted until February," and something about having a delay in processing. Anyone have any experience/insight with this? This was one of my top choices...sigh.

It's better to send it in within the time they ask for but if you're over, i'd still send it in.

adcoms met on thursday, we should be gettin' mail soon ya'll

Members don't see this ad :)
Just canceled my interview for October 22nd. Good luck everyone!

It says 10-15 days in the info packet but were told in 2-3 weeks we should get a response via snail mail.

I liked their interview format, tbh. Were you there today as well? :)

Hey guys...so I just got a call from Western with the interview, but it's really soon....as in this Thursday soon because of a cancellation. To that effect, just curious if you (or anyone that has been through it) could let me know what to expect with the MMI. From what I have read, researched, etc., more traditional MMI formats (see UCLA) are much longer and have maybe 10 stations, while this, according to my confirm email, has 2 stations. What did you guys see/get in these? Thanks so much, and good luck everyone! (ps SDN....time to update emoticons....these were around I think when Al Gore invented the internet)

Hey guys...so I just got a call from Western with the interview, but it's really soon....as in this Thursday soon because of a cancellation. To that effect, just curious if you (or anyone that has been through it) could let me know what to expect with the MMI. From what I have read, researched, etc., more traditional MMI formats (see UCLA) are much longer and have maybe 10 stations, while this, according to my confirm email, has 2 stations. What did you guys see/get in these? Thanks so much, and good luck everyone! (ps SDN....time to update emoticons....these were around I think when Al Gore invented the internet)

They make u sign confidentiality agreements u won't reveal anything (specific questions) but they are generally ethical questions or role-play I have heard some schools hire actors to see how u act when u haven't rehearsed some big speech on why you are better than everyone else best advice is to remain calm ask questions about the situation and know a thing or 2 on healthcare and how u might change it that's the best way to be prepared....I have a full length MMI in 3 weeks and western mid nov just gotta stay relaxed

They make u sign confidentiality agreements u won't reveal anything (specific questions) but they are generally ethical questions or role-play I have heard some schools hire actors to see how u act when u haven't rehearsed some big speech on why you are better than everyone else best advice is to remain calm ask questions about the situation and know a thing or 2 on healthcare and how u might change it that's the best way to be prepared....I have a full length MMI in 3 weeks and western mid nov just gotta stay relaxed

Thanks man....appreciate it. Best of luck on everything you got....and if your full-length is at UCLA, then I hate you....kidding, but I am jealous

Thanks man....appreciate it. Best of luck on everything you got....and if your full-length is at UCLA, then I hate you....kidding, but I am jealous

Haha I wish UCLA they wouldn't even give me a secondary!

Take a deep breath, use the entire time given to read what's on the card and think of what you want to say/do, and try to relax. :)

lol just remember that anything we might get is way easier than what they used to do...my dad told me when he interviewed him for med school a school nailed a window shut and asked him to open it to see how he acted when frustrated he told me of other nasty things committees used to do...he said another 1 schools used to do is leave the room as soon as you walked in and make you wait then call the phone in the room and see if you pick it up hahaha

Snail mail, anyone?

Question for those who've already interviewed:

What time did the day actually start? Is it IMPERATIVE to arrive at 7:30 AM?
What time did the day end?

Question for those who've already interviewed:

What time did the day actually start? Is it IMPERATIVE to arrive at 7:30 AM?
What time did the day end?

It began in your seats at 7:30am. Actual interviews are around 8 or 8:30am. I think we were done around 1:30pm. Definitely don't be late and make sure you have your parking situated well in advance.

It began in your seats at 7:30am. Actual interviews are around 8 or 8:30am. I think we were done around 1:30pm. Definitely don't be late and make sure you have your parking situated well in advance.

Yeah, dont be the interviewee who's bumming change from the rest of the group at 7:30 am cause you didn't see the "need 8 quarters for the parking lot permit" part of the memo.

Yeah, dont be the interviewee who's bumming change from the rest of the group at 7:30 am cause you didn't see the "need 8 quarters for the parking lot permit" part of the memo.

Do you have to pay this on Saturdays? The info they gave us said it was free...

Do you have to pay this on Saturdays? The info they gave us said it was free...

I interviewed on a Thursday and had to pay. I thought I saw that the weekends are free, but look again in the II email.

Congratulations!! I just got a voicemail from them regarding my application. What are the available dates for interview? Thanks is advance.

+1. I missed the call, too. Can't wait to call them tomorrow!

Congratulations!! I just got a voicemail from them regarding my application. What are the available dates for interview? Thanks is advance.

yesterday they said that Nov 5th opened up as an interview date.

Nov. 19th interview! What a relief!

me too!! It's my birthday too sooo I better get in! haha
So this schools seems like its one of the best DO schools, can someone tell me about the school? there's not that much info about it on their website. I am really interested in mission work so I am wondering if they have that available. Also, what is Pomona like? Thanks!!!

me too!! It's my birthday too sooo I better get in! haha
So this schools seems like its one of the best DO schools, can someone tell me about the school? there's not that much info about it on their website. I am really interested in mission work so I am wondering if they have that available. Also, what is Pomona like? Thanks!!!
Why does this forum exist if you're not going to read any of it?!

fyi: 4256 applications, 607 interviewed, 442 accepted, 221 enrolled.

as much as I love Western...but if u didnt know arrowhead is going to leave western for the new UCRiverside med school i dont know when it will happen or if itll happen now that there were funding problems with UCR but thats what I was told by my dad whos a clinical professor at Western...

We had our monthly town hall meeting today where students ask questions to our dean and some guy mentioned this post and asked about the rotation sites at Arrowhead. According to the dean, "Arrowhead is ours." Apparently, in any given month we have over 100 students at Arrowhead and 30 or so at the Riverside med center. He said that even if UCR got it's funding from California, their class would be so small as to barely register a blip at Arrowhead. He then followed up with saying that not only are we solid on rotations throughout the LA area (ie, not just Arrowhead but also others where you get more hands on training), we've got too many and we're getting rid of some based on student reviews. Hope this helps!

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus last Saturday! It was such a fantastic group of people. Were any of you there?

This school has easily the most welcoming, friendly, intelligent-but-not-cocky atmosphere of any I've seen so far. Both the teachers and the students were so kind. And the anatomy lab! Oh, man, I think I could easily spend hours in it. I really want to get in! It's my first choice. :xf:

Best of luck, everyone!

We had our monthly town hall meeting today where students ask questions to our dean and some guy mentioned this post and asked about the rotation sites at Arrowhead. According to the dean, "Arrowhead is ours." Apparently, in any given month we have over 100 students at Arrowhead and 30 or so at the Riverside med center. He said that even if UCR got it's funding from California, their class would be so small as to barely register a blip at Arrowhead. He then followed up with saying that not only are we solid on rotations throughout the LA area (ie, not just Arrowhead but also others where you get more hands on training), we've got too many and we're getting rid of some based on student reviews. Hope this helps!
thats definitely good to know!

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus last Saturday! It was such a fantastic group of people. Were any of you there?

This school has easily the most welcoming, friendly, intelligent-but-not-cocky atmosphere of any I've seen so far. Both the teachers and the students were so kind. And the anatomy lab! Oh, man, I think I could easily spend hours in it. I really want to get in! It's my first choice. :xf:

Best of luck, everyone!

This is the thread for the Pomona campus, there's a separate thread for Lebanon. Check it out and drop by a hello!

This is the thread for the Pomona campus, there's a separate thread for Lebanon. Check it out and drop by a hello!

Okay, thanks! I was going off of ShyRem's list, and I didn't see anything listed there for Lebanon campus. Now that I'm actually looking in the right sub-forum, of course I've found it.

Thanks for letting me know! :)

interview on 11/5

any suggestions on hotels? Thx

interview on 11/5

any suggestions on hotels? Thx

Congrats on the interview, can't wait to hear back from them.

I live in So cal and although Pomona isn't one of the dangerous parts of LA, it isn't one of the nicest cities either. I would probably recommend you venture out about 10-15 minutes to Montclair/Clairmont/Ontario area.

Good luck with the interview. Let us know how it goes

Congrats on the interview, can't wait to hear back from them.

I live in So cal and although Pomona isn't one of the dangerous parts of LA, it isn't one of the nicest cities either. I would probably recommend you venture out about 10-15 minutes to Montclair/Clairmont/Ontario area.

Good luck with the interview. Let us know how it goes
I flew into the ONT airport, took SuperShuttle to the Comfort Inn in Pomona, and walked the 1 mile to campus and back. I felt safe the whole time, but there wasn't much to see.. and I don't recommend walking that far in heels (ouch!). But if you have time and the means to see more of the area, I recommend doing so. I'm left to figure that part out virtually.

Any acceptance letters out there yet? I'm stalking our mail person.

Any acceptance letters out there yet? I'm stalking our mail person.

I peeked over at last year's thread and some people called the office, particularly those with other interview invites. I'm not sure I feel ok calling the office.

30 more minutes til I can check my mail, but I would think CA people would get theirs first...

I just called admissions. They said the letters were going out either today or sometime early next week.

I e-mailed Robin about when decision letters will be sent out and she said we should be receiving the letter sometime next week. I was really hoping for good news this week. Oh well, one more week won't kill me!