Western/COMP NEED ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your good advice in the past...

Anyway, here's my situation:

Stats: 9 V, 8 BS, 6 PS (second time around, first time I got an 18 for misbubbling the ps section toward the end of the section, and given that ps is already my weak area, that did NOT look good)...
GPA: 2.93 overall sci, 3.1 post-bac, 3.5 overall (ucla), 3.8 non-sci

Originally, i was going to do round 3 of the MCAT and apply for next year... I'd be taking the August test...A friend convinced me to apply to Western this year..So AACOMAS supposedly processed my app and sent it to COMP on April 13. I know, late..But both AACOMAS and COMP sounded chill about it.

So far, COMP claims they have not seen my AACOMAS profile yet or that it has "not been entered in the system"...Again, they sound pretty chill about the deadlines and stuff...Also because the class is 60% full...

Anyway (i know, this is long)...I spoke to a counselor, Gloria, gave her my stats over the phone, and she kept insisting I fill out the secondary anyway, but not to send it in until I get the Email..So I assumed my numbers were OK for a secondary, maybe...She said they would probably give consideration to my pre-med post-bac gpa (3.1) rather than my overall sci gpa (2.93)...I know the difference is slight, but breaking the 3.0 barrier makes a difference....She also told me they generally look for a 9 in all sections of the MCAT, but that they have accepted people with a 23 before. Also, that the minimum for one to get a secondary is a 2.5 sci gpa...

HOWEVER, Later on, I called my own counselor, Pat, who kept saying she can't confirm if they will give more weight to my post-bac gpa or not, and that my numbers are "very close" to being acceptable for a secondary, but she's not sure, that she'll "have to see"...And that the class is 60% full...She didn't sound too enthusiastic and said to "check back next week" to see if my aacomas was entered into their "system"...i'm so frusterated! Time is of the essence here...

Gloria sounded so nice and optimistic (but then the devil in me says, maybe they just want my $ for a secondary and pat is being more realistic?)

I feel like my extras are crucial and I want to at least have a chance to present them! Which means I want to get started on the secondary. Should I call Pat again today, instead of "next week," and politely insist that because of the lateness of my application, the fact that the class is 60% full, and the fact that my numbers are "close", that she, my own counselor, should tell me whether to get started on a secondary or not? And whether they will give more weight to my post-bac gpa? I was a history major and took a few science classes as an undergrad in which i did not do so well in...So hence the overall 2.93 sci GPA (yea, i got "c-"s) as opposed to the 3.1 post-bac. I know i'm freaking out, but I really want a shot at it! ...Should I write Susan Hanson? How much weight do these counselors have on the whole process? Are they part of the admissions committee or do they just manage applicants?HELP! Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

clement said:
Hi everyone,

Stats: 9 V, 8 BS, 6 PS (second time around, first time I got an 18 for misbubbling the ps section toward the end of the section, and given that ps is already my weak area, that did NOT look good)...

Originally, i was going to do round 3 of the MCAT and apply for next year... I'd be taking the August test...A friend convinced me to apply to Western this year..So AACOMAS supposedly processed my app and sent it to COMP on April 13. I know, late..But both AACOMAS and COMP sounded chill about it.

So far, COMP claims they have not seen my AACOMAS profile yet or that it has "not been entered in the system"...Again, they sound pretty chill about the deadlines and stuff...Also because the class is 60% full...

Anyway (i know, this is long)...I spoke to a counselor, Gloria, gave her my stats over the phone, and she kept insisting I fill out the secondary anyway, but not to send it in until I get the Email..So I assumed my numbers were OK for a secondary, maybe...She said they would probably give consideration to my pre-med post-bac gpa (3.1) rather than my overall sci gpa (2.93)...I know the difference is slight, but breaking the 3.0 barrier makes a difference....She also told me they generally look for a 9 in all sections of the MCAT, but that they have accepted people with a 23 before. Also, that the minimum for one to get a secondary is a 2.5 sci gpa...

HOWEVER, Later on, I called my own counselor, Pat, who kept saying she can't confirm if they will give more weight to my post-bac gpa or not, and that my numbers are "very close" to being acceptable for a secondary, but she's not sure, that she'll "have to see"...And that the class is 60% full...She didn't sound too enthusiastic and said to "check back next week" to see if my aacomas was entered into their "system"...i'm so frusterated! Time is of the essence here...

Gloria sounded so nice and optimistic (but then the devil in me says, maybe they just want my $ for a secondary and pat is being more realistic?)

I feel like my extras are crucial and I want to at least have a chance to present them! Which means I want to get started on the secondary. Should I call Pat again today, instead of "next week," and politely insist that because of the lateness of my application, the fact that the class is 60% full, and the fact that my numbers are "close", that she, my own counselor, should tell me whether to get started on a secondary or not? And whether they will give more weight to my post-bac gpa? I was a history major and took a few science classes as an undergrad in which i did not do so well in...So hence the overall 2.93 sci GPA (yea, i got "c-"s) as opposed to the 3.1 post-bac. I know i'm freaking out, but I really want a shot at it! ...Should I write Susan Hanson? How much weight do these counselors have on the whole process? Are they part of the admissions committee or do they just manage applicants?HELP! Thx!

It sounds to me like you should do the secondary, does it really matter what your person, Pat is saying? just tell her what you want to do. Do you have LORs or a commitee letter ready to go?

I would call AACOMAS and see what the deal is with your application if it reallly is processed or not. Do the secondary application right away and have it ready to go.

Don't worry about the secondary fee, you are just doing one school (I think it is $60) and if you get in this year you'll have one extra year of a physician's salary.

I'd say just give it a shot, but make sure you do everything as efficiently as possible.

Agree with flyfisher.

Do you have other extracurricular's to enhance your 'numbers'? I think that's also a key in consideration.

And how lined up are you in terms of your paperwork? If nothing else, get everything in order so that it could be used for next year.

And 60 bucks?! I'm not poor nor am I rich, but I think 60 bucks is not wasted if you MIGHT have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fill out 2nd application and get everything ready to go(ASAP). At the main time you need to study for the MCAT. I don't like the numbers you have.

Sayoc

clement said:
Hi everyone,

Junkster said:
Agree with flyfisher.

Do you have other extracurricular's to enhance your 'numbers'? I think that's also a key in consideration.

And how lined up are you in terms of your paperwork? If nothing else, get everything in order so that it could be used for next year.

And 60 bucks?! I'm not poor nor am I rich, but I think 60 bucks is not wasted if you MIGHT have a chance.

THANKS GUYS!! Luckily, I had my LORs sent in to Western before my AACOMAS was supposedly processed last week and they confirmed receipt of those...And ACTUALLY......I spoke to Western a few minutes ago...Seems like a 2.5 sci gpa and a 17 overall mcat score (with no "5s" in any one section) is what they look for in terms of screening for SECONDARIES (getting in is another story)...I was just worried because I think my extras could really make or break me with my shakey numbers. i have lots of human rights work, research, good shadowing (allbeit md shadowing mainly, but i started shadowing a do psychiatrist a few months back)...I was just down on my luck, thinking why does MY counselor have to be the one that's not as optimistic sounding as the other one!

clement said:
THANKS GUYS!! Luckily, I had my LORs sent in to Western before my AACOMAS was supposedly processed last week and they confirmed receipt of those...And ACTUALLY......I spoke to Western a few minutes ago...Seems like a 2.5 sci gpa and a 17 overall mcat score (with no "5s" in any one section) is what they look for in terms of screening for SECONDARIES (getting in is another story)...I was just worried because I think my extras could really make or break me with my shakey numbers. i have lots of human rights work, research, good shadowing (allbeit md shadowing mainly, but i started shadowing a do psychiatrist a few months back)...I was just down on my luck, thinking why does MY counselor have to be the one that's not as optimistic sounding as the other one!

Hey, that sounds good. You should be telling your counselor what you want to do, not the other way around. it seems like you don't even need her at this point if your LORs are in. All mine did was send in my LOR packet for me.

So does Western have your AACOMAS yet, and are you done with the secondary yet?

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to send it in asap, but be prepared to get an early start next year...even with an August MCAT, you can get early interviews.

Best of luck@!

-s

Flyfisher said:
Hey, that sounds good. You should be telling your counselor what you want to do, not the other way around. it seems like you don't even need her at this point if your LORs are in. All mine did was send in my LOR packet for me.

So does Western have your AACOMAS yet, and are you done with the secondary yet?

These are WESTERN counselors...Not sure what their function is exactly!

Does anyone know if it is acceptable to send in a resume with your Western secondary? I mean, is it necessary, since the secondary is so detailed? Anyone?

clement said:
These are WESTERN counselors...Not sure what their function is exactly!

Oh, I didn't understand that, obviously. I don't think i ever talked to my counselor there. There were some cute girls working the front desk there though.

generally don't send in your resume... but you can send whatever you want to i guess.

clement said:
Does anyone know if it is acceptable to send in a resume with your Western secondary? I mean, is it necessary, since the secondary is so detailed? Anyone?

I don't know anyone who does that.... I won't send the resume unless they are asking for it/good reason to do so.