Western COMP Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSDSkippy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got into Western, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about going there. Just wondering if students are well prepared for the board and also the competitiveness of Western COMP students in getting their residencies. I'ver heard that the students have to fight tooth and nail to obtain a spot, am I misinformed? :confused: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

what kind of *spot* are we talking about? Derm? Just to be clear...

Got into Western, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about going there. Just wondering if students are well prepared for the board and also the competitiveness of Western COMP students in getting their residencies. I'ver heard that the students have to fight tooth and nail to obtain a spot, am I misinformed? :confused: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

From what I gathered from the orientation, there's a 94% pass rate for COMLEX and one similar for the USMLE. They said they changed their strategy in preparing students for it and has paid off by a 5% increase.

Yes, it depends on what spot you're talking about. Some are harder than others. There is a chunk of time taken at the end of second year to prepare students for the board. From my experience interviewing, COMP seems to have a vested interest in their students to pass it the first time around. They have courses to help their students do well also. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies at their first choice schools in surgery and some of the primary care rotations like family medicine and pediatrics. I suppose I'm just confused because i get a lot of mixed input from friends and past graduates. Was wondering if anyone can give me a current view. Also, as rotations go during the 3rd and 4th years, do you have to hustle to get rotations too since Western doesn't have its own hospital? I still think Western is awesome, great students and staff.... just wondering about these things before I commit myself. Many thanks.

Residencies at their first choice schools in surgery and some of the primary care rotations like family medicine and pediatrics. I suppose I'm just confused because i get a lot of mixed input from friends and past graduates. Was wondering if anyone can give me a current view. Also, as rotations go during the 3rd and 4th years, do you have to hustle to get rotations too since Western doesn't have its own hospital? I still think Western is awesome, great students and staff.... just wondering about these things before I commit myself. Many thanks.
Well, from what I know their curriculum has changed in the past couple of years. It's hard for fourth years to assess these things. It may be wise to ask current MSIIIs.

For fourth year clerkships, you primarily set up your own electives, so it is your responsibility. I believe that Western has a book of all the clerkships that have been done either in the states or internationally. So, there are resources for MSII looking towards clerkships.

I have a positive outlook on Western also. Congrats on getting in. I started a COMP 2011 thread. It's by no means a committment, just a way to gather people to talk about Western U as an option and perhaps involve current Western students to offer some imput. Look at the last link of my "footnote" for the thread. It's been slow, I want to get it rolling. Thanks.

For fourth year clerkships, you primarily set up your own electives, so it is your responsibility. I believe that Western has a book of all the clerkships that have been done either in the states or internationally. So, there are resources for MSII looking towards clerkships.

This is true, the curriculum has been set up so that the students basically make their own 4th year schedule. There is an online database containing hospitals and preceptors that have some sort of agreement with Western, and its fairly extensive. Unfortunately, you cannot view it unless you are a current student. I can assure you however that it is quite robust (nationally and internationally).

The fact that Western does not have its own hospital does not really impact the ability of graduating students to land their top choice residency. Same goes for universities with their own teaching hospitals, it just doesn't matter.

If you want to see the match trend for the past classes, you can check out the match lists. I think the previous poster started a C/O 2011 thread with links to the most recent years' match lists. Obviously this won't be able to indicate whether or not graduates received their first choice, etc... but you can see what people are matching into and where. Also note that trends change from year to year. Some years may be FP heavy, while others are IM heavy, Surgery heavy, etc...

Lastly, don't worry about residency; you won't have trouble landing one coming from COMP.

This is true, the curriculum has been set up so that the students basically make their own 4th year schedule. There is an online database containing hospitals and preceptors that have some sort of agreement with Western, and its fairly extensive. Unfortunately, you cannot view it unless you are a current student. I can assure you however that it is quite robust (nationally and internationally).

The fact that Western does not have its own hospital does not really impact the ability of graduating students to land their top choice residency. Same goes for universities with their own teaching hospitals, it just doesn't matter.

If you want to see the match trend for the past classes, you can check out the match lists. I think the previous poster started a C/O 2011 thread with links to the most recent years' match lists. Obviously this won't be able to indicate whether or not graduates received their first choice, etc... but you can see what people are matching into and where. Also note that trends change from year to year. Some years may be FP heavy, while others are IM heavy, Surgery heavy, etc...

Lastly, don't worry about residency; you won't have trouble landing one coming from COMP.
Thanks for the clarification. It is very much appreciated. I'm actually the one that started the COMP 2011 thread hoping people will comment and benefit from COMP information. Unfortunately, no one's biting. Feel free to drop in on it and offer some insight or to answer questions for people who are deciding on COMP. Thanks again.

As a side note, yes, I posted the links to the most recent match lists...check out the last link in my "footer." Commenting on the thread does not mean that you're deciding on COMP.

Thanks for the clarification. It is very much appreciated. I'm actually the one that started the COMP 2011 thread hoping people will comment and benefit from COMP information. Unfortunately, no one's biting. Feel free to drop in on it and offer some insight or to answer questions for people who are deciding on COMP. Thanks again.

As a side note, yes, I posted the links to the most recent match lists...check out the last link in my "footer." Commenting on the thread does not mean that you're deciding on COMP.

Can you place a link for the comp 2011? Tried searching but couldn't find it. This is my first acceptance and I'm gearing towards western because my sister lives in CA. Also I'm ready for warmer weather, but not humid...

I think it's in the osteopathic board, not pre-DO

Can you place a link for the comp 2011? Tried searching but couldn't find it. This is my first acceptance and I'm gearing towards western because my sister lives in CA. Also I'm ready for warmer weather, but not humid...
You found it :), it's part of my footnote.