Western/COMP vs. OUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so I really liked both schools when I went to interview there and I feel that both programs offer me things that I would enjoy greatly in a medical program...because of this I can't make up my mind yet as to where I want to spend the next 4 years of my life (in Ohio's case next 7 years of my life minimum). So I looked at the tuition/cost of living/etc and used the finaid loan calculator to estimate how much it would cost me to attend each school. I decided to calculate the budget with the worst case scenario in mind. In other words if I get absolutely 0 grants and scholarships and here are the results:

After 4 years of medical education:

Western/COMP= $292,087 :wow: :wow: :scared: :scared:

OUCOM= $231,939 :wow: :scared:

Now, these figures take into account ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, Tuition, room/board, car, bills, etc, etc, etc.

Based on finances alone it seems that OUCOM is the winner hands down. I will not even tell you how much I will END UP OWING after accumulated interest because then you guys will truly faint at how much medical school education is.....

I guess for now, I'll just wait and see what kind of financial aid packages I get at both of these schools (and of course any others that are still reviewing me) and then see what's up. I really hope Western shows me some love (grants and scholarships) because close to $300,000 debt seems kind of high for ANYONE!!!!

Have any of you gotten your financial aid packages at these schools or others? How does it look? How are you guys balancing your budget?

Any current Western/COMP and OUCOM students that can shed some light into their schools' financial aid process?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr. Don

That seems like a big discrepancy between the costs of each school. Are you sure that's right? What's making such large of a difference, the cost of living?

Seeing as how you're from southern CA, I don't see why you wouldn't choose COMP especially if you plan on practicing in CA. If you don't care where you practice, then maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm interested in family practice and I looked at frieda which has all the allopathic residencies. In almost all the programs, there were a few DOs in each but in almost every single case, that DO was a graduate of COMP. I'm talking about the residencies at UCI, USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, and throughout the rest of the programs. Most had MD graduates but if there was a DO, you could almost bank on the fact that he or she was a COMP graduate.

There were even some COMP graduates who were the head of these programs. Now I saw one DO from NYCOM, one from PCOM, but about 20 or so were from COMP, and no one from OUCOM.

I also looked at the pediatric programs and internal medicine programs in CA. There were fewer DOs but those DOs almost always came from COMP.

What this says is COMP has an excellent reputation in southern CA and even in northern CA. If your goal is to stay and practice in CA you can't go wrong with COMP.

Ohio... that's the state that was going to ban the teaching of evolution in biology classes, isn't it? Or has the state banned it already?

I thought that I was never going to even drive through that state when I heard the news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know georgia is trying to ban the word evolution.....

sure..lets dumb down the kids so when they get to college they'll really be laughed at.

I wouldn't want to drive through ohio now anyway, too many random shootings.

And for the record my opinion says to do COMP as you will get out faster and get your loans payed off that much quicker losing the accumalted interest buildup.

Originally posted by Slickness
That seems like a big discrepancy between the costs of each school. Are you sure that's right? What's making such large of a difference, the cost of living?

Seeing as how you're from southern CA, I don't see why you wouldn't choose COMP especially if you plan on practicing in CA. If you don't care where you practice, then maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm interested in family practice and I looked at frieda which has all the allopathic residencies. In almost all the programs, there were a few DOs in each but in almost every single case, that DO was a graduate of COMP. I'm talking about the residencies at UCI, USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, and throughout the rest of the programs. Most had MD graduates but if there was a DO, you could almost bank on the fact that he or she was a COMP graduate.

There were even some COMP graduates who were the head of these programs. Now I saw one DO from NYCOM, one from PCOM, but about 20 or so were from COMP, and no one from OUCOM.

I also looked at the pediatric programs and internal medicine programs in CA. There were fewer DOs but those DOs almost always came from COMP.

What this says is COMP has an excellent reputation in southern CA and even in northern CA. If your goal is to stay and practice in CA you can't go wrong with COMP.

hey slickness and everyone else, thanks for the replies. To answer to your question, alot has to do with the cost of Western/COMP (tuition) compared to OUCOM. Western is like $31,000 and OUCOM is only about $19,000....
I also know a few DOs out there in allopathic programs and like you said most of them come from COMP.
I didn't know about that banning of evolution deal...

I'll be making my decision soon so I'll keep you guys posted.
Well thanks for the responses and keep the info coming!!

Yes it is true that Ohio has started up talks of banning evolution. This tends to happen every few years in the state and everyone kinda laughs it off. It is never going to happen I mean we aren't Kansas. I have to admit that I am pretty ashamed about that too, but Ohio in all is a great state. We have nice parks, cost of living isn't too bad, and the people are pretty nice. Athens is a really nice town, but honestly it is a little redneck. It is a college town, but the people and places around the city are a little bit country. This is fine with me because to be honest i am a little bit country, but being from SoCal you may not find it all that thrilling (although for $60,000 i think i could stand it). Ohio, especially that part of Ohio, is very politically conservative. I'm a liberal person but the majority of those that are from that area lean toward the right on social issues at least. The good part about being in a place like this is that the people are very friendly. Small towns are great and the majority of people that I have met from Athens are very friendly. So i suppose the good comes with the bad. Oh and about the shootings just stay away from Columbus you'll be alright.

Originally posted by Dr. Don
I get absolutely 0 grants and scholarships and here are the results:

Now, these figures take into account ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, Tuition, room/board, car, bills, etc, etc, etc.

How did you figure these numbers out? After looking at budgets for MD schools that cost 33k tuition a year they seem to only come out to a 220k total. where did the extra 72k come from?

If costs are not your major concern, go to which ever school you would feel would give you more bang for the buck. Being from Ohio, I had to choose between several schools, including OUCOM. I chose against OUCOM because I thought Florida would be a lot better, especially in the winters :). I chose NSUCOM because of it's location, it's clinical education, and the cost wasn't that bad compared to most schools. Plus, not too many people can say they went to medical school in South Florida.

Just what I recall from applying...if you go to Ohio, and are an "outer-stater"...you have to sign the agreement to practice in Ohio for like 5 years post graduation.

I am not sure if that is still the case....but it made me think twice...as I packed up, left NYC and moved to Pomona...and COMP

Originally posted by Thousandth
How did you figure these numbers out? After looking at budgets for MD schools that cost 33k tuition a year they seem to only come out to a 220k total. where did the extra 72k come from?

interest. thank you guys for the posts, they are very informative. Peace!!!!