Western interviewee in need of HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an interview with Western this Saturday and I am starting to panic. Can somebody please help me? I have checked out the SDN interview feedback and that was very helpful. What question do they ask for the writing evaluation and what are some good questions to ask them? Also when they ask me to describe myself should I answer in terms of my academic accomplishments? Somebody please help. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there too. I'd like to know myself about the answer to tell me about yourself. There was a really good post by SDN1977 on one of these threads about that. I sure that it should be a little about most aspects of your life (personal, academic, social, professional) I don't really have a plan on how to approach it yet though. I'd give you the one question I was going to ask, but then it wouldn't be original :D . Actually, I was going to ask what concentrations the rotations covered. (Pediatrics, oncology, nuclear and NICU are my current interests) I'd like to hear other opinions though.

hey sean333. i just interviewed with Western in december and i seriously think you have NO reason to panic. the interview questions are very similar, if not exactly the same as the questions in the interview feedback. So definitely have an idea of what you want to say to each question on the interview feedback forum. When i was interviewed, I was asked "what would you do if one member in the group wasnt participating".. also asked what are some of my short term and long term goals. "what are the positives and negatives in pharmacy". One thing I noticed about the interview was that the interviewers do a lot of the talking. So when they eventually do ask you questions, try to get in as much of what you want to say to them.

When it was my turn to ask questions, I just asked truthful questions that I really wanted to know about the program. For instance, I asked the student interviewer if she thought the 2.5 years of academic and 1.5 years of rotations was beneficial for her career. Cuz usually pharm schools are 3 years academic and 1 year of rotations. I asked my Pharmacist interviewer (he was from ucsf) if he saw a difference between the students from ucsf and western and what made him want to work for Western University after graduating from UCSF. and I also asked both my interviewers What kind of jobs the students at Western receive after they graduate from Western. So yeah those are the questions I asked, they were just real questions that I wanted to find answers for. So try asking questions that you want to know about the school cuz the interviewers are really trying to make you feel comfortable and make you want to come to the school.

As for the essay, my topic was "Describe an important period in your life" or something like that. haha it was a very general topic that you can really use the question and take it in a direction that you want to.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed. It is also very LONNG haha so make sure you eat something. Trust me, you'll feeel very comfortable at the interview. GOOD LUCK! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for you advise! It really helped me formulate some of my own questions I have for them. To calm my nerves I am going to write bullet formed answers for some of the repeating questions posted in the interview feedback section. Do you know how long after they interview Western sends out acceptance letters?

It is also very LONNG haha so make sure you eat something.

Do they provide refreshment, or meal, or anything to eat and drink? Or do we need to bring our own food & drink? Coz 7.15 am 'til 1.30 pm is really long >_<

Oh, also, was there a break time? If yes, how long was it? I'm afraid I'll still feel sleepy there, so maybe I can use the break time to take a quick nap XD.

7.15 am will kill a nocturnal person like me ;___; *sobs*

I also interviewed at Western Dec 2 and the reason you are there from 7:15-1:30 is because there is a lot of down time. They break you into two groups, I think, with one group interviewing first and the other group writing the essay and taking the tour. When you are waiting to interview, however, they put you in a large room with current students and refreshments, and basically you just mingle, eat and ask the students questions if you have any. You have plenty of time to sit around and wait, although I don't know if I would recommend taking a nap during that period. Just get some coffee and power through it. After everyone interviews (which is another reason you wait around--you have to wait until everyone finishes) there are some short presentations on Fin. Aid and student life at Western.

Oh man I didn't realize the interview was THAT long.. I have 3 midterms the week after that saturday and was hoping to get out early since the call time was so early =/

Oh man I didn't realize the interview was THAT long.. I have 3 midterms the week after that saturday and was hoping to get out early since the call time was so early =/

You might be able to sneak out before the presentations. They say that your day with them isn't complete until you go to all the presentations, but when they were done we just walked out. It's not like they took role call at the end to see who was still there. It was useful info, but it's also provided in the handouts they give you. I guess it comes down to if you are a daredevil or not...:D

You might be able to sneak out before the presentations. They say that your day with them isn't complete until you go to all the presentations, but when they were done we just walked out. It's not like they took role call at the end to see who was still there. It was useful info, but it's also provided in the handouts they give you. I guess it comes down to if you are a daredevil or not...:D

Knowing me I'll probably stay there till the very end.. nodding my head during all the presentations like a good pharmD applicant :sleep:

But seriously I am really excited about Western's interview, just wish it wasn't so early and its just a really bad time for me considering I'm just so busy with schoolwork right now and I have to drive 6 hours down to SoCAL

Hey all,
I have an interview with Western this Saturday and I am starting to panic. Can somebody please help me? I have checked out the SDN interview feedback and that was very helpful. What question do they ask for the writing evaluation and what are some good questions to ask them? Also when they ask me to describe myself should I answer in terms of my academic accomplishments? Somebody please help. Thanx

Hey Sean333,

I was at the Dec interview. My writing prompt something along the lines of, "What college course was most beneficial and why?"

Good questions to ask... What kind of research are you involved with? How do students feel about the block program. Anything you are curious about, just ask. :)

For the describe yourself Q, I said my name, college, major, some extra-curricular activities (both pharmacy and non-pharmacy related).

Try to get a good night's rest and eat a good breakfast. They don't provide lunch, but do provide cookies, pastries and water.

Good luck this Saturday!