Western or UTK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLIPPY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help!?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a resident of TN? What would you like to do in vet med? For instance Knoxville has a great exotics program if you're interested in that, not really too sure about Western. Need more info before I can help

Thanks dyachei. I am not a resident of either and from what I understand you can not establish residency in TN (western is private so no residency there). The overall total cost comes to be about even for both schools.

I am a pretty unoriginal girl in that I would like to do small animal medicine - perhaps critical care or nutrition?

I guess I have to say I am leaning towards Western mostly because I enjoy the diversity of the class and the location in CA. I am terrified of 99 perecnt PBL though!?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in nutrition, you might want to give UTK a serious look, because we have two Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionists, Dr. Joe Bartges and Dr. Claudia Kirk, and a strong nutrition residency program.

I will also say our internists are pretty spectacular.

The cost of living at Western is ALOT higher, You'll be luck to find a studio for 900 around that area, most 2 bedrooms are around 1250 or so, then theres the traffic, the ghettoness of pomona (sorry I've spent 4 years here and wont walk down the street even with others). It has a unique program and lovely CA weather and a lot of unique opportunities to travel to different areas for your rotations. But IMO I'd choose UTK

Hi GeeQued,

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I should have mentioned, since costs will be similiar for me, cost of living won't be a factor in my decision making (unless someone could tell me how to establish residency in TN beside marriage).

I also won't be living in pomona and the school seems safe from what I understand, so I won't be spending time joyriding around. I understand your point though. I am also a coast/city girl, so to me, being somewhere that doesn't have something to do on every corner is almost as bad as being in an area that isn't so great.

Really appreciate all the insight though! :)

From what I've heard the school itself is safe. If your going to be commuting (I'm not sure if your already here in SoCal) but I'd recommend living west of the campus since traffic would be headed west in the morning. Chino is also a good option, some nice parts, others not so nice but the 71 freeway can take me 30-40 minutes to go 10 miles for a morning class at Cal Poly

Ohh. Thanks for the advice GeeQued. Where in Cali are you? I grew up outside of NYC, I did my post bacc pre med program at U Penn, so I lived in philly and now I'm in Washington DC. I guess I'm ready for that high cost of living :) !? I take it you wanted out of Cali?

I'm in Orange County now, I lived in Chino, west covina, and pomona during my frist 3 years of undergrad at Cal Poly. I've grown up here and lived in Orange County, except for sometime in Texas and Utah, so I know the IE fairly well. I'm definitely ready to be out of Cali, or at least SoCal so it'll be either Davis or Minnesota for me.

As far as stuff to do, you'll be about 30 minutes maybe more away from the beach, 20 for DLand, and then the mountains aren't far either. Vegas is 3-4 depending on how fast you drive and Lake Havasu (a common party spot for most, headed there next week :)) about 4 hours. So if you aren't studying theres at least something close by to do.

GeeQued that was very helpful. I think we are looking around the covina/west covina area.

DLand excites me...so does vegas!!

Any Western-ers want to represent? I would love a little push :)

I've grown up here and lived in Orange County....

Ahhh so that explains your perspective regarding pomona's "guettoness."
The OC is a pretty nice place to live (my sister lives in Irvine.) I dunno, I lived in downtown philly over 4 years and am still able to walk down the streets by myself (although I don't encourage it!) so I wouldn't call pomona any dangerous than other large cities. I think as far as crime is concerned def be smart as to where you park, walk, travel esp at night and what valuables u leave out in your car/outside your apt...like if you ride a bike. I've had several bikes stolen since living in philly!

World Famous San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park!!!!
And as far as the program is concerned...hands on experience your first year, that's pretty exciting. Also, I think that although western looks like a strip mall now, that also leaves room for more development and growth! Give it a few more years to really revamp the entire campus and surrounding neighborhoods and truly establish its campus/college community.

I say go to Western, but that may be just because I'm on the waitlist at UTK ;) I personally would go wherever is closest to family and friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeeQued that was very helpful. I think we are looking around the covina/west covina area.

If your looking for apartments I lived at Sunset Gardens Apartments which is off W Francisquito Ave and Sunset, a diamond in the roof for apartment complexes. WWW.SUNSETGARDENSAPARTMENTS.COM is their website I think. Maybe more on the expensive side but the complex is safe, never had a problem there were some incidences across the street in the shopping center but thats kinda that area of West Covina in general.

The Crest apartments are in pomona, are very nice, on what I consider to be the safe side of Pomona and probably the closest to western, a lot of students live there and from what I've heard people enjoy it, again on the expensive side but most students fit 4 people in 2 bedroom apartments so the floor plans are large. Its located on Mission Blvd at the 57 freeway and is prolly the best option for decent apartments at an ok price

If you are looking online for apartments feel free to ask me, When the guy I was living with moved in together I think we toured EVERY apartment in the Pomona/Chino/WesCo area so I can give you some perspectives on some.

The OC is a pretty nice place to live (my sister lives in Irvine.) I dunno, I lived in downtown philly over 4 years and am still able to walk down the streets by myself (although I don't encourage it!) so I wouldn't call pomona any dangerous than other large cities. I think as far as crime is concerned def be smart as to where you park, walk, travel esp at night and what valuables u leave out in your car/outside your apt...like if you ride a bike. I've had several bikes stolen since living in philly!

World Famous San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park!!!!
And as far as the program is concerned...hands on experience your first year, that's pretty exciting. Also, I think that although western looks like a strip mall now, that also leaves room for more development and growth! Give it a few more years to really revamp the entire campus and surrounding neighborhoods and truly establish its campus/college community.

Well I have lived in Texas (not so nice areas) and traveled all throughout the United States (literally 3 states every month for 10 years) so Ive seen some pretty bad stuff but there definitely is, in my opinion a dirtyness about Pomona. Stay away from Indian hill at the tracks unless your looking for a cheap (or expensive I wouldnt know) date for the night. Overall there just isn't anything about the town that impresses me and after living there for 4 years I wouldn't be up for another 4. But on the bright side you have all of Cal Poly's Livestock units at Westerns use, I was laughing a couple months ago when a couple "first time" cow people (never touched a cow) were getting dragged around by the little 3 month old calf I had just won with up at the Livestock show.

I would never tell you where to go, but I can say why I am so excited to go to Western...

I think it is such a great opportunity to go to a new and innovative school, but I am very afraid of PBL but I think it is a wonderful way to learn, I just have to get the hang of it. I am also very happy that there are no undergrads at Western. This is a big deal to me, I am a non-traditional and a little older, the last thing I want to be around in Vet School is frat parties :cool: I also liked the fact that Western seems like a small school and we will really get a lot of personal attention.

I just wanted to share why I am SO HAPPY...I know you will be too, good luck!!! :luck:

I would never tell you where to go, but I can say why I am so excited to go to Western...

I think it is such a great opportunity to go to a new and innovative school, but I am very afraid of PBL but I think it is a wonderful way to learn, I just have to get the hang of it. I am also very happy that there are no undergrads at Western. This is a big deal to me, I am a non-traditional and a little older, the last thing I want to be around in Vet School is frat parties :cool: I also liked the fact that Western seems like a small school and we will really get a lot of personal attention.

I just wanted to share why I am SO HAPPY...I know you will be too, good luck!!! :luck:

Well most the Cal Poly Frats are just down the street from Western so you wont be able to get away that quickly :D

Thanks GeeQued, I will look into those. Not sure I mentioned but we have a 105 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback furkid to trudge along too :) . That makes apt hunting even MORE fun! You will prob get a PM from me sometime soon :)

GAcowgirl and Drfanta I will keep you updated come mid april! Promise :)

Robeezy, can I recruit you as my personal cheerleader and keep you please? :) love your enthusiasm.

Well most the Cal Poly Frats are just down the street from Western so you wont be able to get away that quickly :D

Ha ha, well thats probably why Pomona isn't the safest;)

Thanks GeeQued, I will look into those. Not sure I mentioned but we have a 105 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback furkid to trudge along too :) . That makes apt hunting even MORE fun! You will prob get a PM from me sometime soon :)

Robeezy, can I recruit you as my personal cheerleader and keep you please? :) love your enthusiasm.
Well Sunset Gardens doesnt allow pets, the Crest does (not sure on size limit but my friends have a couple pets in there) Some of the condos in the area are a lot more open to larger dogs.

Lol sbrook. I'm quasi non trad too. So being at a school of all health professionals is def a sparkly check on my list!

And I just found out Western is planning on opening up a Medical School in 2011. I think the Medical School will actually be in Oregon, but it will be the newest Med School in a century and will have the same name, I think this is good as far as school reputation.
This might just be a rumor but I found the info online.

Oh and LLIPPY, I would love to have another non-traditional represent with me at Western;)

Now when you say mid april you mean you are going to decide before the 15th right.....
:love:

Oh and LLIPPY, I would love to have another non-traditional represent with me at Western;)

...another nontrad member of club 30-something :hello:

Yes as long as you join us at Western :D

If your looking for apartments I lived at Sunset Gardens Apartments which is off W Francisquito Ave and Sunset, a diamond in the roof for apartment complexes. WWW.SUNSETGARDENSAPARTMENTS.COM is their website I think. Maybe more on the expensive side but the complex is safe, never had a problem there were some incidences across the street in the shopping center but thats kinda that area of West Covina in general.

The Crest apartments are in pomona, are very nice, on what I consider to be the safe side of Pomona and probably the closest to western, a lot of students live there and from what I've heard people enjoy it, again on the expensive side but most students fit 4 people in 2 bedroom apartments so the floor plans are large. Its located on Mission Blvd at the 57 freeway and is prolly the best option for decent apartments at an ok price

If you are looking online for apartments feel free to ask me, When the guy I was living with moved in together I think we toured EVERY apartment in the Pomona/Chino/WesCo area so I can give you some perspectives on some.

Thanks for the info GeeQued! I've been looking into the roommate situation more these days since finding a 1bd apt or even a studio under $800 is impossible.

Going only on location alone.....UTK!! Beautiful, rolling green hills, pastures and farmland compared to.......Pomona. 4 years is a good amount of time.

flyhi, I am more of a city girl, so while UTK may be pretty...to me Id like it more as a drive through scenic place :) . Also, its only 3 years at Western itself, your 4th year rotations you plan where you want anywhere in the WORLD. Thats a major draw for some too. :D

flyhi, I am more of a city girl, so while UTK may be pretty...to me Id like it more as a drive through scenic place :) . Also, its only 3 years at Western itself, your 4th year rotations you plan where you want anywhere in the WORLD. Thats a major draw for some too. :D

from the sounds of your posts you are pretty set on Western already...

Hi Klhughes,

I had a feeling that post would come off that way. I would say in no way am I "set", I guessIjust feel like there are a lot of pre concieved notions about western and I just want people the know the facts before giving opions. Know what I mean? Because otherwise its not helpful to anyone or people reading this post for the future. Ie. Your only at western for 3 yrs not 4. That's a big difference to me. That's all :) hearing peoples opions based on facts ie Tenn has 2 boarded nutrionists there (I am interested in nutrition) IS helpful. :) hope this makes sense

Ohmygosh time is ticking and i just cant decide! If I could pick UTK up and move it to Cali I would go - but both programs have major pros and cons how else do you decide?...anyone else have any final thoughts for me? Im feeling like this :scared:

Ohmygosh time is ticking and i just cant decide! If I could pick UTK up and move it to Cali I would go - but both programs have major pros and cons how else do you decide?...anyone else have any final thoughts for me? Im feeling like this :scared:

When I am torn between two seemingly equally good decisions, I pretend I've made one and see how disappointed I feel about giving up the other, and then I do the same with the other. So for a day or so, tell everyone you are going to one of them and see how you feel inside. If you feel profound regret, you'll know you might really want the other choice. If you feel relief and excitement, with a tinge of regret over the other school, then you are making the right decision. It only seems as though you can't decide. We all really do know deep inside what the right choice for ourselves is.

critterfixer that is an amazing response and piece of advice. I think I have tried to doing that in my mind...its just they are SO different and I feel like I have no idea what the PBL curriculum will be like so its hard to be concrete there. Maybe I have to try doing it out loud more like you suggested. :D And probabaly be more confident that whatever I will do I will excel at.

Hey LLIPPY,
I was just curious if you have made a decision? It must be hard, but I really want to know what you have chosen.
:luck:

Hi sbrook,

No decision yet!!?! I have PMed you though.it really is stressful right now! Thanks for asking though and thank you to everyone who has given thought and time to my own little dilema. Hopefully others will benefit from this post in the future too :)

Forget all that location, what to do, landscape stuff....

UTK has the BODY FARM for fark's sake. who wouldn't want to go to a school willing to start something cool like that???!!!

and yeah, I know, it's nothing to do with the cvm.

But it's still cool.:laugh:

-j.

UTK has the BODY FARM for fark's sake. who wouldn't want to go to a school willing to start something cool like that???!!!

-j.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ha. Ok now I have to ask what the body farm is because I'm too lazy to look it up :). I guess they didn't use that as a selling point during my interview ha.

-j.

they have actually come and done talks at the vet school about what kind of stuff the animals do to the bodies that are on the "farm." It was pretty cool... my classmates and I put a whole skeleton back together (human skeleton) cause they had brought some. We got it right down to the vertebrae being in the right order. We are giant dorks.

Ha. Ok now I have to ask what the body farm is because I'm too lazy to look it up :). I guess they didn't use that as a selling point during my interview ha.

I'm not sure of all of what they do over there but people can donate their bodies after they die and the body farm has land in the woods next to the hospital where they can put the bodies out. I think they do different experiments to see what different scenarios do to a body so they can use it for crime scene type stuff. There is also a book based on the body farm but I can't remember who wrote it.

I want to say patricia cromwell, but don't quote me on that.

Also, one of the original guys in the forensic anthro program wrote a book about the beginnings of the program and the "farm" itself that was interesting reading in a "they've stripped all the cool science stuff out" kinda way. It's called "death's acre"- Dr. Bill Bass, and some writer named Jon Jefferson. Good relaxing read. With maggots.

Give it a few more years to really revamp the entire campus and surrounding neighborhoods and truly establish its campus/college community.

As far as this goes, I know that GeeQued and I have both lived in some purdy shady places. Although we were both raised in SoCal, not EVERYWHERE in Southern California is a palm tree-lined picturesque vacation hot spot.
Trust me when I say, Pomona is not the place you want to live.

Before I came to school here, my mother asked a high-ranking political official who used to live and work for the City in Pomona where the "safe areas" for me to live would be, as she was sure he would know the good areas, right? He only told her, "Don't let her live in Pomona."
I think everyone who goes to Cal Poly knows someone who has gotten into trouble being out too late at night. I know the campus at Western is safe, but I literally wouldn't walk across the street after sundown.

Ha ha, well thats probably why Pomona isn't the safest;)

The fraternity life in Pomona is the only thing that makes that single strip of road only slightly safer on certain nights than others. Any parties/events/what-have-you are run through and directed by law enforcement. (Probably the only time you'll ever see a police officer in Pomona)
Also, fraternity and sorority members are usually known as being the victims of local violence (car-jackings, random gang violence, hit-and-runs, shootings), not the perpetrators.
I'm just saying this because all of the examples I listed in the parenthesis above are things that some of MY personal greek friends have had happen to them in the last 3 years I've been here, at least once. So I'm not just making this stuff up.

And I just found out Western is planning on opening up a Medical School in 2011. I think the Medical School will actually be in Oregon, but it will be the newest Med School in a century and will have the same name, I think this is good as far as school reputation.
This might just be a rumor but I found the info online.

Western already has a Medical School, it's a DO program rather than an MD. I have a hard time thinking they would try to do both, since the DO's usually have such a separate ideology and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most schools incorporate some sort of opportunities to choose your rotations, to a certain degree? You might not be able to spend a whole year away, but I think you'll find that it won't be possible to completely escape Western for a full year either. (I remember a representative telling me that you'd have to come back in between rotations to handle "administrative stuff", or something) Plus there are still restrictions on what type of practice you can go to, I'm sure.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything LLIPPY, I just wanted to try to set the record straight on a couple things. :D

Robeezy = Give it a few more years to really revamp the entire campus and surrounding neighborhoods and truly establish its campus/college community.

Sorry, I meant to comment on this too- Cal Poly Pomona has been around since, um,... early 1900's (as a College) and the campus has repeatedly attempted to make the community and surrounding neighborhood more approachable, and improve contacts with the local city government.
I can tell you because I've spoken with our University President personally, and it was very clear from my conversations with him that the City of Pomona doesn't particularly care about the surrounding Universities, nor are they interested in revamping the community or their City with their help.
Just so you know. :) Cal Poly Pomona has been trying to do it for yeeeears, and establishing a campus community in Pomona is extremelly hard with the city government's apathetic attitude.

As far as this goes, I know that GeeQued and I have both lived in some purdy shady places. Although we were both raised in SoCal, not EVERYWHERE in Southern California is a palm tree-lined picturesque vacation hot spot.
Trust me when I say, Pomona is not the place you want to live.

Before I came to school here, my mother asked a high-ranking political official who used to live and work for the City in Pomona where the "safe areas" for me to live would be, as she was sure he would know the good areas, right? He only told her, "Don't let her live in Pomona."
I think everyone who goes to Cal Poly knows someone who has gotten into trouble being out too late at night. I know the campus at Western is safe, but I literally wouldn't walk across the street after sundown.

The fraternity life in Pomona is the only thing that makes that single strip of road only slightly safer on certain nights than others. Any parties/events/what-have-you are run through and directed by law enforcement. (Probably the only time you'll ever see a police officer in Pomona)
Also, fraternity and sorority members are usually known as being the victims of local violence (car-jackings, random gang violence, hit-and-runs, shootings), not the perpetrators.
I'm just saying this because all of the examples I listed in the parenthesis above are things that some of MY personal greek friends have had happen to them in the last 3 years I've been here, at least once. So I'm not just making this stuff up.

Western already has a Medical School, it's a DO program rather than an MD. I have a hard time thinking they would try to do both, since the DO's usually have such a separate ideology and such.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most schools incorporate some sort of opportunities to choose your rotations, to a certain degree? You might not be able to spend a whole year away, but I think you'll find that it won't be possible to completely escape Western for a full year either. (I remember a representative telling me that you'd have to come back in between rotations to handle "administrative stuff", or something) Plus there are still restrictions on what type of practice you can go to, I'm sure.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything LLIPPY, I just wanted to try to set the record straight on a couple things. :D

3rd year you come back once every 8 weeks (for like a week). 4th year you do NOT have to come back (except for graduation and maybe there was one week before boards...if I recall correctly, but none of my actual rotations in 4th year was on campus)

Wow did this thread just get a little bit of a beating or what? Its kind of comical. I am pretty over the crime of pomona. I saw the exact crime rates and some crimes were higher than avg in the nation over POMONA. But really, I get it, pomona isn't safe, I won't be joy riding around. I don't know of many students who live in pomona or even suggest living there.I plan on going to the school and home. I have lived in philly, washington DC, New Jersey - right next to Rutgers which is no walk in the park either and on a 3rd world island. Its like anywhere else that's not in a bubble. Be smart and know what your doing.

This thread has had little to do with the diversity of the schools, the accomodations they provide or even the teaching styles. Its suprising.

I am not skewed in my view of cali. I don't expect paradise but I know there is a ton of opportunity only when I have the time to get to it (which won't be much). One of the most exciting for me being Vegas! I practically grew up there.

Pxystix I appreciate the opinions you have given and I understand where you are coming from.ie your experience with the area. However,you say you" want to set the record straight", but you were wrong about your implications of the 4th year at Western. So please let's just stick to what we know. Or it could be harmful for people viewing this thread in the future. I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I know you understand what I'm saying.

Thanks for everyones interest in the thread. This is one girl who sincerely appreciates it!

Wow did this thread just get a little bit of a beating or what? Its kind of comical. I am pretty over the crime of pomona. I saw the exact crime rates and some crimes were higher than avg in the nation over POMONA. But really, I get it, pomona isn't safe, I won't be joy riding around. I don't know of many students who live in pomona or even suggest living there.I plan on going to the school and home. I have lived in philly, washington DC, New Jersey - right next to Rutgers which is no walk in the park either and on a 3rd world island. Its like anywhere else that's not in a bubble. Be smart and know what your doing.

This thread has had little to do with the diversity of the schools, the accomodations they provide or even the teaching styles. Its suprising.

I am not skewed in my view of cali. I don't expect paradise but I know there is a ton of opportunity only when I have the time to get to it (which won't be much). One of the most exciting for me being Vegas! I practically grew up there.

Pxystix I appreciate the opinions you have given and I understand where you are coming from.ie your experience with the area. However,you say you" want to set the record straight", but you were wrong about your implications of the 4th year at Western. So please let's just stick to what we know. Or it could be harmful for people viewing this thread in the future. I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I know you understand what I'm saying.

Thanks for everyones interest in the thread. This is one girl who sincerely appreciates it!

I agree that as far as "student life" and "crime" we are in no way in the position to present anyone w/ hard numbers and statistical evidence. What we've presented are all personal experiences and anecdotes, and we all know how this type of info is biased. But you take it w/ a grain of salt and like LLIPPY said be smart and vigilant of your surroundings...In response to Pomonas campus community, I was just referring to improving/adding more places students can hang out and study - personally I love studying in coffee shops. And I feel that as the campus grows, i.e addition of more colleges, students and faculty will hopefully start demanding more, not just from the college but also from their surrounding community. Maybe apathetic government officials need to be pushed a littler harder, IMHO.
Ugh, sorry for derailing from the OP!

LOL. Robeezy as the "OP" I officially declare this post derailed! It was almost when it started :D

LOL. Robeezy as the "OP" I officially declare this post derailed! It was almost when it started :D

LOL...so as the OP have you made your "final answer" and declared to the world (of SDN) where you'll be heading this fall???

Doh :idea: Maybe Im bad at commitment ;). I am 99% decided, until I send in the letter though it shall remain nameless...oh the suspense (FOR ME, I dont presume anyone else REALLY cares ) haha :D.

As a complete aside though here is what I would look like in sunny weather ~~> :cool: . :laugh: