western/pacific northwest, and central mountain region pathology groups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the most well established pathology private practice groups in the Western US and Rocky Mountain areas? What is the average attrition / retention rate for pathologists in industry laboratories? It seems like industry big lab pathology practice can be quite volatile, in terms of career stability. How often is "too often" to move around in the first 5-7 years of post training pathology practice, if you have only worked in private reference labs?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between industry labs and private reference labs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Western US+Rockies is HUGE. We are talking about a land mass where several Germanies could fit. You need to narrow it down a bit for us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Western US+Rockies is HUGE. We are talking about a land mass where several Germanies could fit. You need to narrow it down a bit for us.
Maybe elburrito could be the pathologist for the new nation of CHAZ?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If you're specifically asking about PNW, then your choices in Washington are Cellnetix and Incyte. These two groups have consumed all small path groups in the state over the past 20 years, and now have a literal duopoly on the private market. I can't tell you much about what it's like to work for either, but I'd speculate they're great for senior partners and kind of unpleasant for junior pathologists based on compensation and work volume. There are enough new pathologists desperate to stay in Seattle every year that they can keep starting comp way below what I'd consider reasonable.

Oregon, Northern California, and Idaho all have more robust private markets that have avoided the consolidation in Washington State.
Same thing I experienced. Low starting salaries 180-210 aka lining the partners pockets. I know Cellnetix starts at that range. I would stay away from groups like that unless you have no choice. Some people literally have no choice. The partners exploit the junior pathologists. Hopefully there is an increase in salary every year or chance to become partner?

An oversupply of trainees allows this to happen.

I had few choices in regards to jobs in the area I wanted to live and work. They started me at 210 but I’ll take it. It was the only job that I got in my area, sad to say, but I did get 5 or so interviews across the country. This after 6 years of training.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Same thing I experienced. Low starting salaries 180-210 aka lining the partners pockets. I know Cellnetix starts at that range. I would stay away from groups like that unless you have no choice. Some people literally have no choice. The partners exploit the junior pathologists. Hopefully there is an increase in salary every year or chance to become partner?

An oversupply of trainees allows this to happen.

I had few choices in regards to jobs in the area I wanted to live and work. They started me at 210 but I’ll take it. It was the only job that I got in my area, sad to say, but I did get 5 or so interviews across the country. This after 6 years of training.

I've heard as much about Cellnetix - total churn and burn operation.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally know the head honcho at Cellnetix, nice guy not what I expected.

I would focus on rural Colorado, Idaho, Utah and maybe Nevada. Everything else is a dumpster fire at the moment.

When you go to car dealer to get magnetic AR racks put in and your truck has a full vest and ballistic helmet ready to go, even my mom thinks its time we leave.

Do not come to California unless you have legit military experience. FYI Air Force doesnt count.

I hear CellNetix is a ponzi scheme. New investors (newbie pathologists who want to stay in Seattle) pay off the old investors (founders). Financial engineering at its worst and most exploitative. Company was valued at an inflated price when they introduced SymbioDx and their worthless NGS cancer gene panel products. The old head honcho cashed out once this inflated valuation was completed by an "impartial" firm. Seriously -- these guys partnered with PAML while PAML was actively trying to sell itself to Quest/LabCorp. Many junior pathologists aren't paid enough (unless their spouse has a high-earning job) to buy shares in their own company. CellNetix reminds me of the old Seattle Washington Mutual bank. WaMu thought they were innovators and ahead of the curve. They made a big bet on CDOs and went bankrupt in 2008. East coast bankers used to call this company the world's largest midget.

• Angry
With how 2020 is going, maybe the Yellowstone Supervolcano will erupt. LOL. I'd forget the west and come to rural southeast myself.

I hear CellNetix is a ponzi scheme. New investors (newbie pathologists who want to stay in Seattle) pay off the old investors (founders). Financial engineering at its worst and most exploitative. Company was valued at an inflated price when they introduced SymbioDx and their worthless NGS cancer gene panel products. The old head honcho cashed out once this inflated valuation was completed by an "impartial" firm. Seriously -- these guys partnered with PAML while PAML was actively trying to sell itself to Quest/LabCorp. Many junior pathologists aren't paid enough (unless their spouse has a high-earning job) to buy shares in their own company. CellNetix reminds me of the old Seattle Washington Mutual bank. WaMu thought they were innovators and ahead of the curve. They made a big bet on CDOs and went bankrupt in 2008. East coast bankers used to call this company the world's largest midget.

Scam jobs like this work because people endlessly pile into them.

I personally know the head honcho at Cellnetix, nice guy not what I expected.

I would focus on rural Colorado, Idaho, Utah and maybe Nevada. Everything else is a dumpster fire at the moment.

When you go to car dealer to get magnetic AR racks put in and your truck has a full vest and ballistic helmet ready to go, even my mom thinks its time we leave.

Do not come to California unless you have legit military experience. FYI Air Force doesnt count.
Everyone can come off as nice at a meet and greet. He/she wouldn't get to be head honcho without being somewhat presentable. I heard Hitler and Idi Amin were fun at parties too.

Everyone can come off as nice at a meet and greet. He/she wouldn't get to be head honcho without being somewhat presentable. I heard Hitler and Idi Amin were fun at parties too.

I wouldnt go straight to Hilter and Idi Amin. He literally is a normal Joe Blow tbh. People dont realize the machines at these large groups arent really controlled by the scope monkeys, they are run by c-suite execs. Sad state of affairs for sure tho.

I am disappointed to hear these comments. What is wrong with SymbioDX NGS panels? I knew someone who worked at Cellnetix but then they quit due to burnout. Anyone have any experience with Incyte? Do you think large groups like these will soon become consumed by either quest or LabCorp? Is there any hope for multi Subspecialty pathology private groups or will everything become progressively more consolidated? What about option to live or work in Rocky Mountain region but perhaps finding work as a remote pathologist? Is digital pathology hype or the wave of the future?

Quest and LabCorp are going to win the war. Working remotely just makes it easier to replace you. Nameless, faceless, black box medicine. I don't understand the appeal of that.