Western U. interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lainy105

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first interview at western university on monday 9/25. anyone else there with me?

also, if you've already had an interview there, any advice? how did you find it? did you get any tough questions?

i'm super excited, but nervous! let the games begin..

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview 8/24. It was really relaxed. Don't worry. I had one ethical question--they are just looking for your thought process-there is no right answer. Also they asked me about my weaknesses...the rest was pretty basic. I really think they are just making sure you aren't unstable and that you can have an intelligent conversation....I think the COMP interview is one of the nicest. The students and faculty are very friendly.

I got my first interview at western university on monday 9/25. anyone else there with me?

also, if you've already had an interview there, any advice? how did you find it? did you get any tough questions?

i'm super excited, but nervous! let the games begin..
Congrats. The interview is pretty laid back. As the previous poster mentioned, they do ask ethical questions. Be honest. They get back to you relatively quickly too. Best of luck. Try not to get turned off by the look of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had my interview there. i won't lie, it was tough. i received a load of ethical questions and i have to say i was not prepared for them. needless to say, i was freaking out after the interview thinking i bombed it. trust me, i freaked out (to say the least). but a little lesson i learned was not to sweat ethical questions. i think through these questions, they're trying to see the way your mind thinks. it wasn't so bad in the long run. and i got my acceptance less than 2 weeks later!

I am also interviewing on Monday!!! Good luck and I will see you there!!!!

Don't worry too much; just be yourself. As others have said, the atmosphere is relaxed.

The questions vary in whoever interviews you. I didn't get any ethical questions. The first thing my interviewer asked was: "Tell me about yourself," which was fairly open-ended. I've done a heckuva lot of research, volunteer, and DO shadowing so he asked me about that too. I remember him asking me if I was ever in a risky/pressure-filled/etc. situation where I have to make a very crucial decision and to be frank, I really haven't. I told him that and explained that if I ever am, I know I'll be ready and he said he appreciated my honesty. In the end, he wanted to know if I have any questions for him. I came up with a couple and in the second one, we ended up talking about the future of osteopathic medicine and I told him how I personally interpret the osteo philosophy (which he said he liked).

After the interview, I didn't know what to feel. Besides a few moments, the entire time my interviewer had a poker face and spoke in this monotonous voice (when he spoke at all) that made it hard to gauge what he was thinking. I wasn't able to tell if I did well or not. It sucked more when later I was filling out their information survey sheet and I saw the other interviewers. Compared to mine, they were the smiley, "Ooh-here-have-a-cookie" type and I thought I must have gotten the toughest, most serious interviewer of the lot.

It all turned out well in the end. Just relax, be honest, and you'll do fine :)

I am getting my Western U interview on 10/24. Western U is probably my first choice DO school due to many considerations, so I'm both happy and nervous. How many interviewers do you guys have on the day? In the mean while, i'm trying to find some interview questions they might ask me. I remember reading a website specifically designed for posting interview questions, but couldn't find it despite many tries, any help?:)

I am getting my Western U interview on 10/24. Western U is probably my first choice DO school due to many considerations, so I'm both happy and nervous. How many interviewers do you guys have on the day? In the mean while, i'm trying to find some interview questions they might ask me. I remember reading a website specifically designed for posting interview questions, but couldn't find it despite many tries, any help?:)
Two to three interviewers.

Are people already interviewing at DO schools? I always thought the DO application time line started a little later than the MD process?

Are people already interviewing at DO schools? I always thought the DO application time line started a little later than the MD process?
The deadline date is later, but they start at the same time. Quite a few people apply later for DO which is highly discouraged since DO programs like MD programs go by rolling admissions. DO schools have begun filling up their classes.

Thanks guys, just finished my Interview at COMP this afternoon (only a few hours ago from this post!). It was a wonderful experience, and I felt well prepared, and did pretty well on the interview. In the morning, I walked in kinda nervous, but I was feeling better and more confident as the morning passed by. And by afternoon, I walked into the interview relaxed and confident. Thanks again for the great tips and help, and hopefully, I get to join COMP class of 2011 thread in a few weeks!

Thanks guys, just finished my Interview at COMP this afternoon (only a few hours ago from this post!). It was a wonderful experience, and I felt well prepared, and did pretty well on the interview. In the morning, I walked in kinda nervous, but I feel better and better and more and more confident in myself as the morning pass by. And by the afternoon, I walked in into the interview relaxed and confident. Thanks again for the great tips and help, and hopefully, I get to join COMP class of 2011 thread in a few weeks!

yay! i interview there in a few weeks so that's good to hear. g'luck :luck: