Western U. question

Started by Zaphod
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zaphod

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently accepted and sent my deposit to Western U. I really liked the rotations set-up, but was wondering what students at Western think about their school. I'm from PA and haven't heard much about Western from non-admissions people. How is their reputation? What is the student body like? Does the lack of on-campus housing make it hard to get to know other med students? I have interviews at PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, and Hahnemann this month and am undecided about cancelling them. Please help! Thanks!
 
Hey, Beeblebrox:

I'm not at COMP yet, but I'll be there later this year. I wondered if you've been to one of their Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conferences; they're very informative, and you'll find answers to many of your questions from interactions with students there.

From what I've seen, the student body is quite diverse and very friendly. I wouldn't think the lack of on-campus housing would be a problem, since you're in the same room with all your classmates from (at least) 8 to 5 every day. I'm sure people find ways of meeting outside of classtime...

Good luck!


------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)
 
Hello Zaphod
smile.gif


CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!! WELCOME TO THE WESTERNU/COMP FAMILY!!
smile.gif


I am currently a second year medical student at WesternU/COMP. From what I've seen, the medical school has a very good rep in producing fine physicians. A lot do residency programs at UCs, Loma Linda, and all over the country. I love the school a lot, but they really work you HARD!!! So be prepared and have your thinking cap on when you get here. No room to slack or else you will feel the "med school reality". Sorry, don't mean to scare you....just giving you the reality behind WesternU/COMP. You will have time (not a lot) to socialize & and have a good time with your collegues. You will just have to learn time management
smile.gif


Like PB said, the student body is very diverse. WesternU offers other professional degrees also (PharmD, MPT, MSPA, Graduate Nursing, etc...) so the interaction with students from your med school class as well as other fields is great...we are all very friendly people
smile.gif
You will notice it if you decide to attend/

Overall, I have no regrets about WesternU. Med school life can be very trying at times but thats the reality if you want to be the best doctor you can be. WesternU is in Pomona (not the greatest place in the world to reside), but other students room together is close by areas that are beautiful & safe. I came from the islands before coming out here so I was in the same boat as you. Just remember its Southern Cali....need I say more
smile.gif


What you want to do and where you want to be is a decision you will have to make. That's great about your other interviews. If you have your heart set on one of them, give it a shot. Try not to miss out on all the great opportunities given to you. Not everyone is that blessed. If you have your heart set at attending WesternU/COMP, glad to have you in the family
smile.gif
Good luck in your endeavors. Take Care!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002