Western U Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainbow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Western U has some kind of bad reputation. :wow: Does anyone know anything about this school and its future?

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked w/western students at health fairs and they've seemed competent. i thought they were trained in some pretty cool areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally won't concern that much with the passing rate from the school that I will receive training. Sure the number does look good if a school has good passing rate...but what truly counts is your personality. If you are good and determined, plus know how to make it "passed" , then you will pass. If you party all night long...and expect to pass? Yeah..right!

My preceptor from Target was a graduate of the charter class and turned out to be a darn good pharmacist. We'll see how the school does with California going to the NAPLEX + CA MPJE instead of the old board exam (the link above reflects the results from the old exam given last June).
As far as school reputation is concerned, the only thing I've heard is from a friend of mine who transferred from Western over to my school (one of 3 people who made the transfer from Western to NVCP), something about the distaste he had for the "politics" that surrounded the school and the administration...but that's just one guy's opinion.

I will be attending there in the fall. If anyone has any info, why the bad rep???just curious

My co-worker attends Western and she is so smart..

My friend said that the Western Interns at his stores are slower than the other interns from other schools. I think it depends on the individual and it?s not just because they attend Western. My pharmacist graduated from USC like 8 years ago, and she said back then they use to make fun of Western. I think the bad rep stems from other pharmacy students and Pharmacists who believe there institution is elite over Western. I mean they have to pick on someone. Who cares what people say about Western, it is in Southern California and you?ll be a Pharmacist no matter what.

According to the stats, the passing rate is about the same b/w UOP and Western. So why did I hear so much of the bad thing about Western and not UOP. People keep trying to get in UOP even though the tuition is so HIGH, is it b/c it has 3 yr program???
By the way, thanks you all for great info's and opions. :love:

Originally posted by LVPharm
My preceptor from Target was a graduate of the charter class and turned out to be a darn good pharmacist. We'll see how the school does with California going to the NAPLEX + CA MPJE instead of the old board exam (the link above reflects the results from the old exam given last June).
As far as school reputation is concerned, the only thing I've heard is from a friend of mine who transferred from Western over to my school (one of 3 people who made the transfer from Western to NVCP), something about the distaste he had for the "politics" that surrounded the school and the administration...but that's just one guy's opinion.

last summer i met someone from their charter class as well. she was excellent. i think LV is right in that the bad rep may stem from all the politics going on there. A large number of faculty suddenly all left last year. That was a huge issue that i think made the news. Wasn't there a thread about this topic a while back? Does anyone recall...i don't feel like doing a search.

I remember someone saying the same thing about the faculty. For example, those who interviewed at Western were told by Western students "try not to go here because all the great faculty are leaving for higher paying positions."

yeah and there was also something about a key member of the faculty leaving (dean?) and a large percentage of the rest of the faculty following him/her. Maybe that had to do w/pay also or maybe it was some other issues. not quite sure. i'll ask my western friends when i see them.

I happen to think politics are part and parcel of starting a new program and developing it. When programs have to grow and develop, there will always be some level of disagreement and "in-fighting". Not everyone agrees about the direction being taken, and will voice their displeasure with a resignation letter. Our school is no different in that respect.

Wow, so did the faculty member(s) leave this year?? well, i hope it is not too bad there. are there any current students there who are members of this forum and can give us insight???

Originally posted by wstrn08
Wow, so did the faculty member(s) leave this year?? well, i hope it is not too bad there. are there any current students there who are members of this forum and can give us insight???

I guess not. They are probably busy looking for their "runaway" faculty members ;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by michelleca4
I remember someone saying the same thing about the faculty. For example, those who interviewed at Western were told by Western students "try not to go here because all the great faculty are leaving for higher paying positions."

I just attended a pharmacy information session yesterday and had the opposite experience. The students that I spoke to (7 different ones) had nothing but great things to say about the school and faculty. They seemed very pleased with their experiences. By the way, these students were NOT part of the students giving the presentation/campus tour, so they had no incentive to deceive any prospective students.

I think its because Western is one of the newer pharmacy schools in California. They have more technologically advanced classrooms, but their curriculum has been criticized by other schools because they are still developing. USC still has classrooms like we did in undergrad....large lecture hall with a projection screen, but Western has the hexagonal screens with individual laptop stations for their students. Plus, you can upload notes and powerpoint presentations in class. Also, they just raised their tution rates for the incoming year to $30,410. Maybe its to compensate the salaries of its professors? :confused:

I've also heard bad things about western. some one told me that there were some illegal things going on within the school. but it could be all false and people just gossiping.

Problems like "street pharmacy"? j/k :laugh: ......Every school has their problems. There are no perfect schools. As long as the school is accredited and you end up with a Pharm.D. it dosent matter where you go. No one is going to ask you in the work place where you got your degree.

i agree with surgical. every school does have its strengths and weaknesses. my school is great, but i think there is room for improvement.
it's true though. pharmd is pharmd. it doesn't really matter where you get it.