Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anh80

Going through PharmD
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
can u guys believe it? western has offered 167 seats already. ****, we waitlisters are in deep trouble. Man i'm getting nervous people. who's with me?

I am right there with you. when i was first applying, for some reason I thought that I had a good chance at admission to western. boy was I wrong.

How many seats are available?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you informed by the admin that 167 seats were offered?

Last edited:
Eeekkk.... that means alternate status = rejected. awesome! >___>;;;

Last edited:
but wait!! that update on pharmcas was on april 2007. many students were offered admissions to USC, USCD, or UCSF, or other schools and they declined western u. therefore, i think that # is much lower than you think anh80 :). i think they are waiting for our spring 2007 transcripts to see if we did good and graduated with the degrees we said we would have graduated with.

Last edited:
wait, for us waitlisted. did they request a copy of our transcript? i havent heard anything regarding that.

yeah, i didn't know that they request our spring transcript. afaik, they'll want our spring transcript if we're accepted. i might be wrong, tho. =\

they are not really waiting for the degree that you will be getting because you're only awarded the 5 extra points for the degree at the time that the appilcation was reviewed. As of now all applications are already reviewed and you're already assigned a certain number on the alternate list.

So now when people drop out, they will simply start pulling the number 1 alternate and so forth.

be calm guys, i've heard that they offer about almost 200 seats because ppl will drop out and the number will go down from there.

and yes, they will only want your transcript if you've been accepted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i called sometime during my finals this semester (mid-may) and i ask the lady who should i send my transcripts to and she gave me an address. there are students still completing pre-requisites (which would be o-chem for me!), degrees, etc.. i think when they do start pulling people from their alternate list, it will be the most qualified canidate. in order to select the most qualified canidate, they will have to re-score the people on their alternate based on new information.. right? :confused:

Last edited:
huh? 200 seats? this year or last year? and where did u hear this from?

heard this form one of those guest speakers from western who came to speak at cal poly.

i called sometime during my finals this semester (mid-may) and i ask the lady who should i send my transcripts to and she gave me an address. there are students still completing pre-requisites (which would be o-chem for me!), degrees, etc.. i think when they do start pulling people from their alternate list, it will be the most qualified canidate. in order to select the most qualified canidate, they will have to re-score the people on their alternate based on new information.. right? :confused:

no they will not update any further information because they have already reviewed everyone's application. Everyone has already been assigned a current status on the alternate list. Even if you get a degree or finish up courses, they will not rescore your application. They simply have more things to do for the current class probably.

also it would not be fair for those students who have already completed all of the requirements for western prior to another student barely finishing theirs. So they can't just update only some students profile and have them jump ahead of students who have already completed everything even before applying.

Sounds weird, but hope it makes sense. Basically all applications are done and over with. They will not re-evaluate your application, unless you know an inside person there.

Well guys... if you haven't seen it yet on the western U website... these are the current stats for the acceptances for the class of 2011

Acceptance Profile

The following statistics are for the entering class of August 2007.

Application Statistics for the Class of 2011
Total PharmCAS Applications Received 1590
Total Supplemental Applications Received 1318
Total Interviews Conducted 425
Total Offers of Acceptance 172 (to date)
Class Size 120

Entering Class of 2006 Statistics
(Final statistics for the Entering Class of 2007 will be available September 1, 2007)

Average GPA
Overall 3.33
Science 3.20
Ethnicity
African American 2
Asian/Pacific Islander 80
Hispanic 1
Native American 0
White/Non-Hispanic 23
Other/No Answer 12

Female 84

Average Age 25

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/admissions/pharmd_pa.xml

But in comparrison to the pharmcas website... (http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolwesternpage.htm)
Statistics for 2007 Entering Class Acceptees *
Number interviewed - 425
Number accepted - 167
Estimated entering class size - 120
Estimated male - approx. 29%
Estimated female - approx. 71%
Number out-of-state students - 9

* Data as of April, 2007

Application Criteria for 2008 Entering Class
Expected GPA of accepted students - 3.20
Minimum overall GPA considered - 2.50
Total number of new entrants expected - 120

so when i compare the two different sources for the # of accepted... between pharmcas's 167 accepted to... western (to date) 172... it looks like maybe only 5 people have gotten off the alt list? Man... this doesn't look promising :(.

Actually, I"m going to agree with goofy princess. I heard Mark (during a Western workshop AND at the Feb 24 interview) saying that you get awarded the 5 extra degree points ONLY when you receive the degree. This makes sense to me, because Western can't give you the benenfit of the doubt, give you the freebie points, and risk you not getting the degree. Either Mark doesnt know much about admissions or I'm deaf, but I specifically remember him giving an example of students last year who were on the alternate list, didn't send in updated reports of their newly received degree, and missed their chance of being bumped up the list. I'm not sure who's right or not, but what's it going to hurt you to spend a few dollars to send the transcript out??!! Send them in you guys!!

Well guys... if you haven't seen it yet on the western U website... these are the current stats for the acceptances for the class of 2011

Acceptance Profile

The following statistics are for the entering class of August 2007.

Application Statistics for the Class of 2011
Total PharmCAS Applications Received 1590
Total Supplemental Applications Received 1318
Total Interviews Conducted 425
Total Offers of Acceptance 172 (to date)
Class Size 120

Entering Class of 2006 Statistics
(Final statistics for the Entering Class of 2007 will be available September 1, 2007)

Average GPA
Overall 3.33
Science 3.20
Ethnicity
African American 2
Asian/Pacific Islander 80
Hispanic 1
Native American 0
White/Non-Hispanic 23
Other/No Answer 12
Female 84
Average Age 25

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/admissions/pharmd_pa.xml

But in comparrison to the pharmcas website... (http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolwesternpage.htm)
Statistics for 2007 Entering Class Acceptees *
Number interviewed - 425

Number accepted - 167

Estimated entering class size - 120

Estimated male - approx. 29%

Estimated female - approx. 71%

Number out-of-state students - 9

* Data as of April, 2007

Application Criteria for 2008 Entering Class
Expected GPA of accepted students - 3.20

Minimum overall GPA considered - 2.50

Total number of new entrants expected - 120

so when i compare the two different sources for the # of accepted... between pharmcas's 167 accepted to... western (to date) 172... it looks like maybe only 5 people have gotten off the alt list? Man... this doesn't look promising :(.

No this does not look promising. Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I am going to start my pharmCAS application tomorrow. I have already been thinking about the people I want to ask for letters of recomendations. This will be my third time applying (not that I am counting, I actually think I will lose count before I get accepted, if I ever get accepted).

I have a question though. Does pharmacy school accept courses that were taken more than 5 years ago? I graduated last year (June 2006) and I am worry about having to retake the courses that I took in my freshman year in college. Is it courses taken 5 years before you apply or start pharmacy school?

Thanks

No this does not look promising. Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I am going to start my pharmCAS application tomorrow. I have already been thinking about the people I want to ask for letters of recomendations. This will be my third time applying (not that I am counting, I actually think I will lose count before I get accepted, if I ever get accepted).

I have a question though. Does pharmacy school accept courses that were taken more than 5 years ago? I graduated last year (June 2006) and I am worry about having to retake the courses that I took in my freshman year in college. Is it courses taken 5 years before you apply or start pharmacy school?

Thanks

hi redrose,
I'm sorry to hear that you have to reapply again. But hey, look at this way, the fact you're reapplying will show them that you're committed to this profession. Also, I think it would be better that you retake the old courses to bump up your GPA (if you think you'll be able to do well this time). I think many schools do look at GPA and take GPA improvement into consideration. Well people usually say third one is the charm... So, you never know. Anyway, I hope this helps. :)

So I went to the new student welcome reception on Monday the 11th....sorry to let you know...but as of now the class is full...they actually have a few over. I asked to find out for you guys...sorry for the unpleasant news. Hopefully a bunch of people will drop off as we get closer to the school year!

Last edited:
deng.. that sucks. it's weird because at my pharm club, i hear stories from western u students getting accepted 1-2 weeks before class starts all the time. there is still hope.. just not as much anymore. i justed spoke to slyvia in admissions, she said that they don't update the alternate list, which still sounds weird to me. why would u pull someone from the alt list that has a lower gpa than a student who has a higher gpa because of improvements during spring semester? i don't know.. :confused:

Hi pharmgrl14, can I ask what was your GPA and EC that you got into Western? I am applying this year and kind of wanted to know my chances. Thank you :)

So I went to the new student welcome reception on Monday the 11th....sorry to let you know...but as of now the class is full...they actually have a few over. I asked to find out for you guys...sorry for the unpleasant news. Hopefully a bunch of people will drop off as we get closer to the school year!

How was it?? I couldn't go, but I hope I didnt miss anything too important!

Last edited:
I believe what goofyprincess meant is that even if an applicant sends additional documents, such as transcript with updated grades, Western will not re-rank the applicant on the alternate list.

deng.. that sucks. it's weird because at my pharm club, i hear stories from western u students getting accepted 1-2 weeks before class starts all the time. there is still hope.. just not as much anymore. i justed spoke to slyvia in admissions, she said that they don't update the alternate list, which still sounds weird to me. why would u pull someone from the alt list that has a lower gpa than a student who has a higher gpa because of improvements during spring semester? i don't know.. :confused:

I've already tried to answer this question above, but you guys seem to be ignoring what i'm saying. I have already asked about this issue to the counselors at school. Basically they will not update your status on the alternate list because it would not be fair to the other students who have graduate from college already.

They might be reapplying for the last couple of years and their GPA is what it was a few years back with no improvement. So lets say their gpa is 3.2 and you(the person applying the new year) has a gpa of 3.15. Then they update your file with the new grades and now your gpa is 3.3. So they will immediately move you up the alternate list and leave the other person behind which already finished the classes prior to applying.

Now does that sound a bit fair or no?

They do not update the list because first it will create more work, which they don't want to do and secondly it would not be fair to all of the applicants.

They have already and reviewed all of the applications and if you're offered a seat, then you will need to send in your transcripts just so they can update your file to determine if you have satisfied all of the pre-requisite courses.

let me tell you, the welcome reception was pretty borrring. It was like sitting in class again with the dean talking about western and their stats and this and that.

You did not miss anything, except some cold food.

Be sure to check your westernu email though, they are sending out the welcome week schedule, which is literally a whole week that we have to attend. basically its from 8-3 day from Mon.- Sat. sucks...

those stories are true, so don't just give up hope yet, my gf's uncle got a seat offered to him a week before school started after he already have sold his house and found a new one in another state since he was accepted out of state also. So basically he sold everything then he found out that he just got accepted to western. He ended up going to the out of state school anyways since everything was already set and done.

keep the hope alive goofy.

Nothing too important...it was fun to meet some people from our class though. They gave out a western mug, pen, pin, and class of 2011 t-shirt. Just a chance to meet everyone.

Hi pharmgrl14, can I ask what was your GPA and EC that you got into Western? I am applying this year and kind of wanted to know my chances. Thank you :)

My pharmcas GPA was only a 3.11, but Western recalculates it with courses you have retaken so I think it went up to a 3.3. I have worked as a pharmacy tech at CVS for almost a year. If you have a decent GPA you will probably get an interview. The interview and essay ends up being almost 40% of your admission in the end. So you have to be really good on your interview day.

My pharmcas GPA was only a 3.11, but Western recalculates it with courses you have retaken so I think it went up to a 3.3. I have worked as a pharmacy tech at CVS for almost a year. If you have a decent GPA you will probably get an interview. The interview and essay ends up being almost 40% of your admission in the end. So you have to be really good on your interview day.
Hi pharmgrl14
My STATS are similar to yours. Thank you! I hope I get in! :)

I was accepted to western from the waitlist. received my letter on may 29th! so i guess the school will still pull ppl from waitlist?

I was accepted to western from the waitlist. received my letter on may 29th! so i guess the school will still pull ppl from waitlist?

That's strange. If they already have more people than they can have in their class then why are they accepting more people off the waitlist. Makes no sense to me but it does give me hope.

Hi Mokabear,
Congrat on your admission!
I am in Western waitlist, too. Still haven't heard anything from them yet. Can u give us a little info. Did they contact you through mail, email, or phone call? What is your GPA stat and when did you interview?

Thank you so much.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I was wondering if it was true that reapplicants will need to submit only one letter of rec if they applied last cycle?

That is great! Maybe that means they have gotten a bunch of rejections this week. (Or the person I talked to didn't know what they were talking about!:)) I hope they have more spots to fill up for you guys...I think july will bring lots of rejections as people make their final choices. I think that is when waitlisters will start to get pulled off the waitlist faster!

FYI, I received an email from a WesternU staff regarding tuition to all P1 students and I counted 186 names on the email list. I think that is the number of people who have put their deposit for the school.

But, don't be discouraged, my friend's name was on that list because she paid her deposit, but she is still deciding between schools so her seat can become open. I'm sure others are doing the same.

Good luck! I know the wait is hard.

FYI, I received an email from a WesternU staff regarding tuition to all P1 students and I counted 186 names on the email list. I think that is the number of people who have put their deposit for the school.

But, don't be discouraged, my friend's name was on that list because she paid her deposit, but she is still deciding between schools so her seat can become open. I'm sure others are doing the same.

Good luck! I know the wait is hard.

I got that email too...and counted...there was a lot more names than 120.

just wondering...for those of you who are going to westernu this fall...are any of you taking out the GradPLUS loan? have you been pre-approved? i'm just worried because i applied online with one of the lenders for a pre-approval but it said my status is pending. i'm afraid i won't get that money...which i really need. :(

just wondering if anyone else has come across the same situation??? or were any of you approved right away? :confused: i appreciate anyone's response!

just wondering...for those of you who are going to westernu this fall...are any of you taking out the GradPLUS loan? have you been pre-approved? i'm just worried because i applied online with one of the lenders for a pre-approval but it said my status is pending. i'm afraid i won't get that money...which i really need. :(

just wondering if anyone else has come across the same situation??? or were any of you approved right away? :confused: i appreciate anyone's response!

I haven't done it yet. . still trying to decide on which lender to go with. Which one did you choose?

I haven't done it yet. . still trying to decide on which lender to go with. Which one did you choose?

i ended up going with chase. i was debating between chase and the second one listed on western's GradPLUS lender list (forgot the name). if you don't mind...please let me know what happens after you apply. i'm just curious to know if everyone goes into pending status at first. if that's the case, then maybe i have nothing to worry about! thanks. :)

When would be the latest we should apply for the GradPlus loans?? I'm still choosing between them too, but it seems it takes a while to be pre-approved?? I dont want my financial aid to be delayed because I don't have that kinda money in my wallet. :eek:

When would be the latest we should apply for the GradPlus loans?? I'm still choosing between them too, but it seems it takes a while to be pre-approved?? I dont want my financial aid to be delayed because I don't have that kinda money in my wallet. :eek:

i hear you...that's why i'm afraid of not getting approved for my GradPLUS loan. from what i recall...my award letter said that any financial aid should be accepted via banweb within 15 days of receipt of the email/award letter. as soon as i read that i made sure i accepted right away because who has $56k lying around????!!! :eek: i believe that the entrance loan counseling for stafford needs to be completed within that time frame as well.

i also called the financial aid office regarding the GradPLUS loan and the lady i spoke with said that the GradPLUS loan is available all year long and that it's up to you when you want to be pre-approved and take out the money. but then again...i kept seeing "15 days" on the award letter so i'm somewhat confused. i might call again sometime...unless anyone else has any other info???

[Hello,

I guessed you got admitted to Western. I am planning to apply for next year. My only problem is the interview since my GPA is promising. The interview part scare me the most because I have lived in the US for a few years. I will not have any advantage during interview compared to those who was born here and have lived here for a long time.

Do you know how can someone reduce stress during interview?

Thanks

I was approved instantly for the grad-plus loan. I went with EFSI...it seemed to have the lowest interest rate right off the bat. If you think about it you will probably consolidate when you graduate...then you loose these benefits and get new ones from the consolidation company. So I would rather start with the lowest rate to begin with.