Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valleyfornia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an email confirming the completion of their application yet? If so when did you receive it? and when was your AADSAS submitted? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I got an email on August 8th confirming mine. I sent in my AADSAS on June 1st, and don't remember when I turned in the secondary, but I completed it as soon as it was available.

Western told me my application is incomplete b/c i need a full year of g-chem and english. The problem is that my college only required us to take 1 semester of g-chem & i came in with AP credit for English which Western doesn't accept. They just told me to take g-chem & general english right now. Does anyone else think this is kind of absurd?

Members don't see this ad :)
Western told me my application is incomplete b/c i need a full year of g-chem and english. The problem is that my college only required us to take 1 semester of g-chem & i came in with AP credit for English which Western doesn't accept. They just told me to take g-chem & general english right now. Does anyone else think this is kind of absurd?

Not at all. Every single dental school will require a full year of g-chem, so you'll have to go back to school no matter what if you want to get in. You will not be admitted if you don't have two semesters. The English requirement is more important to some schools than others.

If you took courses in college outside the English dept. but that required a significant amount of reading/writing or composition you might be able to notify admissions and send them course descriptions. As for the g-chem...you definitely need a full yr. ...no way around it

I think most schools think CC and AP credits are a joke anyways so they require you to take a full year at any 4-year university. As for the 1 year requirement, some schools only offer 2 quarters or 2/3 of a year of g-chem which qualified as 1 year for me. If you really want to go tto Western Univ. (you live in California) then you should just take gchem, it'll be a breeze and if you get accepted to the school you only have to get a C anyways right?

I think most schools think CC and AP credits are a joke anyways so they require you to take a full year at any 4-year university. As for the 1 year requirement, some schools only offer 2 quarters or 2/3 of a year of g-chem which qualified as 1 year for me. If you really want to go tto Western Univ. (you live in California) then you should just take gchem, it'll be a breeze and if you get accepted to the school you only have to get a C anyways right?

I have completed all of my requirements in a community college in two years [except the second half of Ochem], and I'm a junior at a 4 year university now. I just got an interview from Columbia. My point is, never let posts like the one above discourage you. Many schools do accept CC credits, and they don't think that they are "a joke". BTW, you definitely need to have a year of Gchem before starting dental school. Take the second course ASAP.

My dilemma is that I am an NC resident and I have a full-time job. I have no problem taking the English course (b/c they told me I can take it online) but I will physically have to go to a g-chem course and I'll have to find a night course! I dont mind doing the work but I am wondering if it is worth me going through it if Western ends up rejecting me in the end. I called them and they told me I have a low gpa but high dat so I have a possibility of getting in. What should I do?? I need advice!

Like others have said, you are going to need a full year of gen chem for basically all schools, not just Western. So you might as well take the second semester of gen chem as soon as you can. Most schools will not let you take a pre-req the summer before enrollment (i.e. next summer if you end up enrolling fall 2009).

ok. i guess i'll be taking gen-chem & english then. thanks for the advice everyone! i wish i had taken a better look at the pre-reqs before applying!! oh well.

Not at all. Every single dental school will require a full year of g-chem, so you'll have to go back to school no matter what if you want to get in. You will not be admitted if you don't have two semesters. The English requirement is more important to some schools than others.

not always, some schools have weird curriculums that are approved by dental schools... double check with your undergraduate school. i know this because i only have 2 qtrs of labs for physics, g-chem, and o-chem, and its okay by every school so far.

not always, some schools have weird curriculums that are approved by dental schools... double check with your undergraduate school. i know this because i only have 2 qtrs of labs for physics, g-chem, and o-chem, and its okay by every school so far.

yea, i don't believe that every single d-school requires 1 year of g-chem. i meet the requirements for some dental schools but Western is the only school that has told me to go back and take lower level classes. I just think it is silly for me to go back and take another semester of g-chem when I did fine in organic chem 1 & 2 and my 1 semester of gchem.