Western University pharmacy class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are 100% right but other than multiple factors that influence the admission committee decision, there are some hidden factors too that no one knows what that is. I personally had 100s of hours experience and very high gpa and I got accepted into every single school I applied, but I have not heard back from western yet which shows there are other factors determine their decision other than experience, gpa, interview and essay.

Is Western your #1 choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Is Western your #1 choice?
Maybe sounds stupid but I am debating between petroleum engineering master and pharmacy to be honest and I got accepted to both so far. In pharmacy I have experience but it's a dying job as we all know. Numbers never lie. Job growth is very low and it's is one of the lowest in the nation. Check bls.gov..... I mean there is no one can hide it even schools that getting students and make money outta of it won't hide anymore. Talk to pharmacist you know around they will guid you the best . Schools never tell you the honest word because at the end of the day you are their business. Research about if you have not. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance email this morning at 8:48 am!
Goodluck to you all!

Congrats! Hopefully, that's where you want to go!
Thank you! Yes, Western is my #1 choice. I'm anticipating an acceptance from SC as well ( I only applied to these 2 schools), but I will definitely be attending Western!

Thank you! Yes, Western is my #1 choice. I'm anticipating an acceptance from SC as well ( I only applied to these 2 schools), but I will definitely be attending Western!
Why western > SC ? If you don't mind me asking, could you give me some specific reasons :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Woot!!! Alternate List!!! The Dream is still alive!!!

Well, the first thing you should know about me is that I'm a die-hard USC fan, and I enjoyed each and every minute of my USC academic career. I truly love the school and for a very long time, attending their pharmacy school was a dream of mine. But, I have a lot of friends who have attended/ are currently attending USC Pharm and their complaints are endless... The biggest problem of all for me is that they're pretty unorganized. Students have told me that they don't have concrete schedules (they come to school at 8am and don't know when they'll go home), their exam and quiz schedules are all over the place, they have multiple professors for a single course that aren't in sync with one another, so on and so forth. I do know that they are currently trying to change up the curriculum, and I am going to stay in contact with my P1 friends and see if they see any significant changes in the Spring semester before I make my final decision. I would love to attend USC Pharmacy just because I love the school, and it's so close to home, but I can't overlook the fact that I know SO many people that regret going to USC pharm that have warned me to not go there. At the end of the day, it is an AMAZING school, and I would never discourage anyone from attending, but I simply wish to avoid any factors that can make my life more complicated lol.

I've heard SC complaints from current students, (recently a P2 student)regarding the unorganized curriculum. but ive also heard that everyone at SC pharmacy school is working. U get the connections early, which is huge in my opinion. so SC and WesternU are your only choices i assume cuz of location and you wanting to stay in LA?

Last edited:
Does it show alternate on your summary page as well?
I the alternative status did not show up on my application summary. I got an email like at 10am this morning saying I was on the alternate list. What about you?

I the alternative status did not show up on my application summary. I got an email like at 10am this morning saying I was on the alternate list. What about you?
At least you got an email. That is surprising that I have not heard back anything yet. Neither email nor status. Obviously I got either denied or alternate. I got into SC though

At least you got an email. That is surprising that I have not heard back anything yet. Neither email nor status. Obviously I got either denied or alternate. I got into SC though
Congratulation!!!! Now you don't have to worry about WesternU anymore.

Congratulation!!!! Now you don't have to worry about WesternU anymore.
Western is my first choice but at least I know I have a place to go. I'm sure you will get into Western too

Western is my first choice but at least I know I have a place to go. I'm sure you will get into Western too
USC - (Pros) Name recognition, strong alumni base, metropolitan location, everyone @ SC is working.. don't see any negatives there ;) you should be happy

USC - (Pros) Name recognition, strong alumni base, metropolitan location, everyone @ SC is working.. don't see any negatives there ;) you should be happy
I'm a USC alumnus my self. and I know all that but grad school is a totally different world. I don't know how much you know about the real pharmacy job, but pharmacy stores love to hire intern pharmacist, an intern pharmacist has all the athority that a pharmacy has under the supervision of a pharmacist. But they get paid 10$ an hour so it's more beneficial for corporate. Also as I have said before Pharmacy is a dying job no matter what. If you search about it and ask around you will see it yourself.

Have you heard back from Western ?

I'm a USC alumnus my self. and I know all that but grad school is a totally different world. I don't know how much you know about the real pharmacy job, but pharmacy stores love to hire intern pharmacist, an intern pharmacist has all the athority that a pharmacy has under the supervision of a pharmacist. But they get paid 10$ an hour so it's more beneficial for corporate. Also as I have said before Pharmacy is a dying job no matter what. If you search about it and ask around you will see it yourself.
yes pharmacy is dying, and it is harder to get full time positions... therefore, I think it's imperative to go to a grad school liks SC for reassurance

I'm on AC
I'm sorry I'm confused?! Usc has AC or active consideration list but western has only alternate list which is a waiting lists ? So u r in AC list for Western ?!

yes pharmacy is dying, and it is harder to get full time positions... therefore, I think it's imperative to go to a grad school liks SC for reassurance
Dying:borg:good times, good memories

Last edited:
I've heard SC complaints from current students, (recently a P2 student)regarding the unorganized curriculum. but ive also heard that everyone at SC pharmacy school is working. U get the connections early, which is huge in my opinion. so SC and WesternU are your only choices i assume cuz of location and you wanting to stay in LA?

Yes, I definitely want to stay in SoCal, and SC and WesternU are the only two schools in the area (and in California tbh) that I really like.

Has anyone here applied to UCSD?

I'm sorry I'm confused?! Usc has AC or active consideration list but western has only alternate list which is a waiting lists ? So u r in AC list for Western ?!

Hey, when did you interview for SC?

I interviewed at western on 11/12 and heard back ~10 days later of my acceptance.
However, I'm still waiting on SC (interviewed 11/18) :(

Well, the first thing you should know about me is that I'm a die-hard USC fan, and I enjoyed each and every minute of my USC academic career. I truly love the school and for a very long time, attending their pharmacy school was a dream of mine. But, I have a lot of friends who have attended/ are currently attending USC Pharm and their complaints are endless... The biggest problem of all for me is that they're pretty unorganized. Students have told me that they don't have concrete schedules (they come to school at 8am and don't know when they'll go home), their exam and quiz schedules are all over the place, they have multiple professors for a single course that aren't in sync with one another, so on and so forth. I do know that they are currently trying to change up the curriculum, and I am going to stay in contact with my P1 friends and see if they see any significant changes in the Spring semester before I make my final decision. I would love to attend USC Pharmacy just because I love the school, and it's so close to home, but I can't overlook the fact that I know SO many people that regret going to USC pharm that have warned me to not go there. At the end of the day, it is an AMAZING school, and I would never discourage anyone from attending, but I simply wish to avoid any factors that can make my life more complicated lol.

there are complaints to both SC and Western :spitoutpacifier:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...estern-university-of-health-sciences.1231900/

Hi. I had an interview at WesternU on October 8th. Has any one heard back yet?
hi DMDDS2017 i have an interview with western this coming saturday. Can you please tell me what to expect? Some questions from the interviewers... i suck on interviews. Thank you. Also, did you hear from them?

Hi to all of you here. Does anyone know what BDM (SLUCERO) mean ? This abbreviation shows as a note in front of my prerequisite row on WesternU website. Thoughts are much appreciated!

USC >>> Western

I just don't understand why Western University has a tuition similar to USC when USC is far more superior than Western University. I agree with what EleanorRigbyyy said.

Hi to all of you here. Does anyone know what BDM (SLUCERO) mean ? This abbreviation shows as a note in front of my prerequisite row on WesternU website. Thoughts are much appreciated!

It means nothing important for you. Think twice about western u. student loans for graduates are about 240K which turns into at least 285K with interest by the time you graduate..not worth it for a school with an average ranking...even SC a top 10 school is not worth that money I say

It means nothing important for you. Think twice about western u. student loans for graduates are about 240K which turns into at least 285K with interest by the time you graduate..not worth it for a school with an average ranking...even SC a top 10 school is not worth that money I say

Well, ideally I'd say the rank shouldn't matter if you know what you're doing, whats your plan, and whether you clearly can see/picture it. I'd say all you need is the education, so that you can finish it, take the board exam and do what you always had in mind to do. There's no such thing that "oh you cant find a job". Kill me, Id still say impossible. But well what do I know :) I can only evaluate things from my perspective. ...I'm not too vocal about which school is average which school is great (its like discussing whats right - wearing a burberry or gap). Unless its some fake useless unethical and an unprofessional school the yea, I should think over that. But comparing WesternU and naming it average... eh, I don't buy it ;) Can it provide with what I'm looking for? Yes. Enough then. The rest of the responsibilities (for future) I take on myself. One cant just blame the school for not putting enough effort to find the wanted job. This is what I sincerely think. So, comparing here the 240K or 285K .. mm not a good argument. And in general, I think it is only fair comparison when the state school and the private school is compared (because the tuition difference is big). In all other cases - useless.
So I agree with your statement that it's not worth it ( I know what you mean). But if its not worth it then none of the schools do lol. Unless like I said its a state school and offers the program for 10K a year..
:) Anyway. I hope we all get what we are looking for so that we can focus on more important things.. The real work after that :)

Last edited:
Well, ideally I'd say the rank shouldn't matter if you know what you're doing, whats your plan, and whether you clearly can see/picture it. I'd say all you need is the education, so that you can finish it, take the board exam and do what you always had in mind to do. There's no such thing that "oh you cant find a job". Kill me, Id still say impossible. But well what do I know :) I can only evaluate things from my perspective. ...I'm not too vocal about which school is average which school is great (its like discussing whats right - wearing a burberry or gap). Unless its some fake useless unethical and an unprofessional school the yea, I should think over that. But comparing WesternU and naming it average... eh, I don't buy it ;) Can it provide with what I'm looking for? Yes. Enough then. The rest of the responsibilities (for future) I take on myself. One cant just blame the school for not putting enough effort to find the wanted job. This is what I sincerely think. So, comparing here the 240K or 285K .. mm not a good argument. And in general, I think it is only fair comparison when the state school and the private school is compared (because the tuition difference is big). In all other cases - useless.
So I agree with your statement that it's not worth it ( I know what you mean). But if its not worth it then none of the schools do lol. Unless like I said its a state school and offers the program for 10K a year..
:) Anyway. I hope we all get what we are looking for so that we can focus on more important things.. The real work after that :)

we all think differently..that's what makes us unique ;) you should do lil bit of research if u think all private schools have same tuition

Last edited:
Remember there is a significant difference between a school ranked #9 in the nation and the one ranked #74 and it is a fact not an opinion. Go SC or go home
both schools are outrageous when it comes to tuition.
i think if you're paying that much for tuition anyways, go for the better ranked school with higher quality education (USC) that will offer you better networking/connections (USC).

Reactions: 2 users
both schools are outrageous when it comes to tuition.
i think if you're paying that much for tuition anyways, go for the better ranked school with higher quality education (USC) that will offer you better networking/connections (USC).
The better question is do you have any clue about your future as a pharmacist? Do you know pharmacy in near future will be like Pscy major that u have a degree but u can't do anything. I myself coming from a pharmacy family, it used to be very good but now on there is no job for 6000 students graduate per year . I hope you guys do a little bit of research before starting your school. Do pharmacy only if you love to be because there are a lot of works to become a pharmacist n at the end you have to struggle for even finding a part time job.

Reactions: 1 users
The better question is do you have any clue about your future as a pharmacist? Do you know pharmacy in near future will be like Pscy major that u have a degree but u can't do anything. I myself coming from a pharmacy family, it used to be very good but now on there is no job for 6000 students graduate per year . I hope you guys do a little bit of research before starting your school. Do pharmacy only if you love to be because there are a lot of works to become a pharmacist n at the end you have to struggle for even finding a part time job.
yea, good luck finding a job in southern california! hah

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear back from WesternU for the December 10 interviews?

Anyone hear back from WesternU for the December 10 interviews?
they said during the interview we will hear from them starting 01-02-17... i was about to ask the same question

they said during the interview we will hear from them starting 01-02-17... i was about to ask the same question
Did you get an email from Western yet? Its been so long of a wait; almost a month already :/

Did you get an email from Western yet? Its been so long of a wait; almost a month already :/
No i did not...well i'm guessing we have not been accepted. I just don't know if they are done with all interviewees from January 10, or we will also have to wait until the end of the cycle

I just called admissions this morning and they said decisions emails are coming out today but i havent received anything yet..

I just called admissions this morning and they said decisions emails are coming out today but i havent received anything yet..
I emailed them on Wednesday and I received an email this morning saying that decisions will be going out today, too. My friend got acceptance email today at 4pm, but I have not heard back any thing from them. We both had interview on December 10 2016. I guess that is a bad sign. :(

Dude , you should have called them. I got alternate
I got alternate as well :/ I wonder whether its the interview, critical thinking test, or essay that I didnt do so well on. Are you going to accept the alternate status. Im wondering how many people end up getting in from alternate list.