western university (pomona) interview questions ( for application cycle 13-14)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tifanie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i have an interview coming up for western university and i heard that they change the format of the interview this year. for those of you that have already gotten the interview, would you like to share your experience? and how did you prepare for the interview? Western is my #1 so i would like to prepare as much as possible to get int. thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same situation! When is your interview? Mine is Wednesday 1/29, and I would really like a heads up for at least what to expect with the process. If anyone out there can help it would be greatlyyy appreciated!! :)

I am in the exact same situation! When is your interview? Mine is Wednesday 1/29, and I would really like a heads up for at least what to expect with the process. If anyone out there can help it would be greatlyyy appreciated!! :)
Mine is on the 29th too!!! a current DPT student at western told me they changed their interview process this year, so i don't know if they are still doing the same thing (essay first, then behavioral interview with 2 faculty members). Good luck to you!!

and allllll the advice/helps/tips on how to prepare interview will be greatly appreciated from those of you who already had interviews with western!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to post here - I am scheduled to interview tomorrow 1/14 - anyone else going to be there?

Wish everyone luck!

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes!!! haha

Good luck!!! I have an interview coming up as well! Please let us know if the format has changed :)

Decided to post here - I am scheduled to interview tomorrow 1/14 - anyone else going to be there?

Wish everyone luck!
I have an interview at Western today too! Good luck!

Congrats to all you guys that got interviews! Quick question, I haven't heard anything from Western University of Health Sciences at all, so would it be safe to assume that I have not been granted an interview? Thanks!

dont give up just yet! i was reading last year's thread and some people had interviews in march and received admission in july!! i got discouraged because my roommate got an interview in early december so i was super depressed over the holiday break becuase western is my number one school :( and one day on my way back home i received their invitation email while i was driving on freeway.... almost crashed another car LOLLLL so don't ever check your email while you are driving.... but don't give up!! just do something else to distract yourself! stay calm and positive!

Reactions: 1 user
I went to the interview today. It started from 11:45am and ended around 5pm (there was an optional campus tour after). They changed the format and the faculty called it the "speed-dating interview". There were a total of four rooms, each room with 2 faculty members. Each student has exactly 6 minutes in each room, rotating one after another. I was really nervous since we had only 6 minutes and they will cut your conversation exactly at 6 mins. Good luck everyone!

I went to the interview today. It started from 11:45am and ended around 5pm (there was an optional campus tour after). They changed the format and the faculty called it the "speed-dating interview". There were a total of four rooms, each room with 2 faculty members. Each student has exactly 6 minutes in each room, rotating one after another. I was really nervous since we had only 6 minutes and they will cut your conversation exactly at 6 mins. Good luck everyone!

Hope it well!! So is it still an interview format where they all ask you questions?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the info! Did they make you do a writing sample as well?

omg thank you so much for letting us know.... omg 6 minutes sounds so short :( did they just ask you one question and let you answer for the rest of 5 minutes? did they ask you different questions?

omg thank you so much for letting us know.... omg 6 minutes sounds so short :( did they just ask you one question and let you answer for the rest of 5 minutes? did they ask you different questions?
You rotate, so it is 6 minutes x 4=24 minutes total:). It does not necessarily take several minutes to answer a question. Some answers can be pretty short. They ask several questions in each room.

Just got off the "hold" list at Western U. and have been granted an interview!! So if you are still on the "hold" list don't lose hope!!

I just got an interview!! I haven't chosen my date yet, but I'm so excited!!

I received an Interview Notification as well. I will be attending the Feb 11th or 12th Interview. I chose a later date because I want to give myself time to mentally prepare myself. This may be my first and only interview for this year. Good luck to everyone!

Also, for those who already interviewed I'm pretty sure the rest of us are wondering what kind of questions were they asking during the "speed-dating" portion.

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
These are some of the questions that was asked. It was very similar to a job interview, to be honest.

Define professionalism.
Define ethics.
Define what it means to be a leader.
How would you define critical thinking and provide an example of when you had to think critically.
Were you ever in a situation where you had to go against your own ethics to do something that was for the greater good? (something along those lines)
How familiar are you with the field of Physical Therapy? Has there been controversy in the field of PT that you found conflicting?

These are a set of questions that I remember from the top of my head. I had my interview mid-December. Good luck!
Thank you very much! What did you think of the program/interview day as a whole?

And if anyone else has any hint/tips about the interview/questions that would be much appreciated :D

Was anyone told when they will find out about their admissions decision? Do they send out acceptances in waves or will everyone find out at a certain time?

Was anyone told when they will find out about their admissions decision? Do they send out acceptances in waves or will everyone find out at a certain time?

Admissions said that notifications will be sent within 2 weeks from the interview date via e-mail.

Thank you very much! What did you think of the program/interview day as a whole?

And if anyone else has any hint/tips about the interview/questions that would be much appreciated :D

These interviews are unique. I could be wrong but I would safely assume that they have a list of questions of which they can ask, which means that you can answer as many questions as you can/want (in the time-frame given). With only 6 minutes max per room, I found myself answering at most 3 questions. However, each applicant can have answers of varying length.

At the end of the interview I thought about it and I wondered about quality vs quantity. Is it better if you answer fewer questions (perhaps just the first question) and give a fully detailed answer or answer as many questions as you can?

I did not prepare for the interview and answered all the questions with my gut - with a short time frame I had no time to hesitate on my answers.

Go speed-dating if you want to practice! :laugh:

I am not the fan of the their small campus. For some odd reason, I did not feel comfortable being there.
There was a faculty member there that did not smile. She just glared at me throughout the entire interview and did not say one word.

That was my only problem, the campus and one of the faculty members. Other than that, the program seems to be solid. I won't be attending so more space for you :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have a friend who is in her first year there right now and really likes it. One thing she told me is not to be intimidated by the professors. She said that when she interviewed they seemed extremely strict and unfriendly but they are not like that at all. She said she really likes her professors and that they are always very willing to help their students.

I have a friend who is in her first year there right now and really likes it. One thing she told me is not to be intimidated by the professors. She said that when she interviewed they seemed extremely strict and unfriendly but they are not like that at all. She said she really likes her professors and that they are always very willing to help their students.
That is the same vibe and impression I got from them when I had my interview, HA!

There was a faculty member there that did not smile. She just glared at me throughout the entire interview and did not say no word.

That was my only problem, the campus and one of the faculty members. Other than that, the program seems to be solid. I won't be attending so more space for you :thumbup:[/quote]
Co Luu, I know exactly who you are talking about!!! I had exactly the same strange impression of her!

I have been invited for an interview, I still have to pick the date. But I do not have feeling to attend one after hearing all these information.

Accepted to University of St. Augustine.

My interview is set for January 30. Anyone else going to be there that day?

Had the interview on 1/14. Just received an e-mail from them a few minutes ago. Result: Alternate List.

Wish everyone luck on these interviews! They are quite different. Fingers crossed I hear from them sometime later in the year.

If you don't mind me asking can everyone post there stats if you have been granted a interview? My application has been put on hold and just looking for some input on where everyone stands.

Hey all, thanks for sharing all that you've had about WesternU's new interview format. It's definitely different. I have an interview on the 1/29. So excited about it! For those who has had interviews, please share more about the interview process, if you don't mind sharing? For example, was there any written samples? And do you remember other questions they asked you? Anything would be helpful. =)
I will be there too :)

I had my interview today. You go into 4 different rooms with 2 professors in each who ask you a series of questions. You are in each room for only 5 minutes. All faculty were super friendly and welcoming. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed on the same day! I was in the small group of 10 :)

Hey all, thanks for sharing all that you've had about WesternU's new interview format. It's definitely different. I have an interview on the 1/29. So excited about it! For those who has had interviews, please share more about the interview process, if you don't mind sharing? For example, was there any written samples? And do you remember other questions they asked you? Anything would be helpful. =)

Would you mind sharing some insight from your interview in terms of the question you were being asked, essay, etc? And Good Luck with the decision.

These are some of the questions that was asked. It was very similar to a job interview, to be honest.

Define professionalism.
Define ethics.
Define what it means to be a leader.
How would you define critical thinking and provide an example of when you had to think critically.
Were you ever in a situation where you had to go against your own ethics to do something that was for the greater good? (something along those lines)
How familiar are you with the field of Physical Therapy? Has there been controversy in the field of PT that you found conflicting?

These are a set of questions that I remember from the top of my head. I had my interview mid-December. Good luck!

As you all prepare yourselves for your scheduled interview, keep in mind that the questions change regularly. What one candidate may have been asked another candidate may be asked a different question depending on the day in which he or she interviewed. We wish you all the best of luck in your interview. Remember to relax and let your personality and passion to be a PT shine through!

Your Admissions Team
Alberto and Karen

Has anyone else heard back from Western who interviewed the week of 1/28?

I don't think they have it ranked? In the email they said its like a waitlist pool which they will evaluate again to choose who gets offered positions.

I am also waitlisted. Western was my first choice too :/