western university requires orgo 2 lab??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, I just submitted my application for western u dmd last week and received an email that I need to complete orgo 2 lab before matriculation and that they cannot continue with my application is I don't have a plan to take it.
on their website, they require 8 semesters of organic chemistry with lab and my orgo 1 was 4 credit hours, orgo 2 is 3 credit hours, and orgo 1 lab is 2 credit hours.
they don't specifically say that they require orgo 2 lab and I haven't seen any school that requires it.
did anyone get in without orgo 2 lab?

Members don't see this ad.

You could call them directly and verify. Their site says organic chemistry with lab and I would assume since they required 8 hours for ochem they want both semester of lab.

I believe that most schools require orgo I and II lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I believe most schools by default require both semesters of lab for a two semester introductory science sequence.

Reactions: 1 user
Call the school?

Every undergrad school does it differently with their credit hours. I'd think that 8 credits of organic chemistry mean orgo 1 and 2 both with labs.

Prerequisites

As far I know, all schools require orgo 1 and 2 with labs (or biochem subs. for orgo 2 for a very few). You might want to call all of your schools to confirm, as I hardly believe that Western U is the only school that requires orgo 2 lab in your selection of schools. Schools may not ask you for orgo 2 lab specifically when selecting the courses in the application... as it is somewhat obvious.

Since your orgo 1 lab is 2 credit hours, that would satisfy many school's orgo 1 and 2 lab requirement. However, there are a few schools that would still need a separate orgo 2 lab, I'm not sure what the list is, but I know that includes USC and Western. You can probably still get in without that lab if you let them know you are planning on taking it, but you will have to fulfill that requirement before matriculation if you're admitted and decide to attend one of those schools

Since your orgo 1 lab is 2 credit hours, that would satisfy many school's orgo 1 and 2 lab requirement. However, there are a few schools that would still need a separate orgo 2 lab, I'm not sure what the list is, but I know that includes USC and Western. You can probably still get in without that lab if you let them know you are planning on taking it, but you will have to fulfill that requirement before matriculation if you're admitted and decide to attend one of those schools
I just registered to take orgo 2 lab at a different school. I went to a big state university and no one ever take orgo 2 lab.. it's not a requirement for chemistry major. I guess it's like a thing for SoCal schools or something.

I just registered to take orgo 2 lab at a different school. I went to a big state university and no one ever take orgo 2 lab.. it's not a requirement for chemistry major. I guess it's like a thing for SoCal schools or something.
I think there's a miscommunication here somewhere. People are trying to provide feedback and you're kind of shutting them down.

Here's the reality, from someone who has already been through the process: most dental schools require, in theory, 8 credit hours worth of organic chemistry, 2 of which are labs.

In the majority of undergrad institutions across the country, this involves a 1 CH lab during o1, and another during o2.

Why your undergrad or the undergrads around you are different, I don't know. You may have gotten all the same content in a one semester lab.

Regardless, it is not the default format, so most of the schools besides Western which have accepted your courses are probably doing so because they recognize it as two labs worth of content, not because it's the norm.