Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raiderj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaahhhhhhh!! the wait for a letter from western is killing me!!!! a little over one week to go...anyone else getting nervous?

Members don't see this ad.

incredibly...nothing like hanging and wondering whether you'll end up 2k miles away in a few months or not...

I'm rooting for you guys! I really appreciate you guys keeping the rest of us up to date with your Western experiences and the interview feedback. Hopefully this time next year I'll be checking the archives to see when you heard from them :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you like about Western, Cheska?

What do you like about Western, Cheska?

Actually its funny that Western is my first choice now, I had originally written it off completely because of how non-traditional the program is. Now that is the reason why I am so interested in the program!

My first big concern was that they did not have a major, established teaching hospital- now, I really like that, as a fourth year you can go anywhere in the world for your rotations. I can think of endless places I would love to spend time at, when in a traditional program you are anchored in one place with the exception of only a couple of externship opportunities.

I have always been interested in their problem based learning system, since I have been a veterinary technician going on 9 years now (wow, doesn't seem like that long!), for me it is easier to learn when I can identify with a patient. I also hate sitting in lectures all day, I would much rather be in smaller groups talking over a case than fidgeting in a lecture hall (their website has the "typical schedule" for each year).

My other concerns were the location and price. This forum made me feel better seeing how many others will be 200K in debt, we are definitely not going into the profession for the money! But it is a small price to pay for being happy. And there are fantastic job offers in AZ and So. Cal, so while it won't be easy to pay off, it is certainly not impossible. And as for it being near LA, yuck, but at least there is plenty to do, lots of baseball to watch :D , and it is within a 5 hour drive of my family in AZ (and some of the best mexican food ever!).

Oh yeah, my biggest reason- the gorilla troop I work with in Denver belongs to the LA Zoo, and they will be moving back soon so the thought of getting to see them occasionally pleases me :laugh:.

Hope this makes some sense, it is just a lot of small factors that add up to the big realization that I could be really happy there.

That's awesome. I'm interested because of the non-traditional approach, as well. Did you apply this year? It sounds like you have the diverse experience they're looking for.

That's awesome. I'm interested because of the non-traditional approach, as well. Did you apply this year? It sounds like you have the diverse experience they're looking for.

Sorry, had a pharm exam and a presentation yesterday, so I'm catching up now. This is the first year I applied to Western and I think the fifth time for CSU, and I kid you not- I picked Western at the last possible second!

My bf was talking to me right before I sent in VMCAS on the day it was due and he made a comment about me being perfect for a PBL program, so I had a "light bulb moment" and clicked Western, hit send and ordered another set of transcripts! I got my rejection a couple of days after they finished calling for interviews, so I take that as encouragement that it didn't come any earlier!

So this year, I can't wait for applications to start up again! It's great to apply to a place that I really want to go to.

:luck: to you for this year, I hope you get a good envelope... and soon too!!

thanks so much, cheska. we'll see what happens. six days and counting. this is my second year applying. the first time i only applied to purdue and applied to other schools this time around, but still expected to get into purdue, as i've completed four of their first-year classes and excelled in them. but that was not to be. now...i'm hanging on western (and an app. somewhere on hold in kansas). i didn't think i'd be impressed as i was with western, but as soon as i met the faculty and the interviewers, i was wowed and pleased.

still holding my breath after four weeks...

if not, i'll be applying with you again for next year ;)

less than a week to go!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ah, i'm getting so nervous and excited too. just think, our fates will be in the mail tomorrow. i'm trying to decide if i should have my boyfriend, who will be home all day the possible days it will come in the mail, open it up and call me, or if i can stand waiting till i get home at 6:30 to open it myself!

i thought they weren't going out until the 16th?

oh don't tell me that. where'd you hear that from?

i think you're right about the 15th kixx...i'm almost positive they said they're sending the letters out on the 15th, not the 16th

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't like knowing that my fate is on a piece of paper that is slowly working its way all the way across the country.

yes, me, too. i'm in lafayette, indiana, and mail here is ESPECIALLY slow. i had to call colorado to hear about my rejection letter (still haven't received it ha!). they told us the 16th at my interview on feb. 9, but perhaps they were confused...

Did anyone else get that email from Western this evening/afternoon?! I obviously haven't gotten my letter yet because I live in NY (not the city), but I don't know if I got an email about how cool their program is because I signed up to get info about their school or if they sent it to every applicant or something I dare not hope for (but can't help doing so anyway)...yeah, so I'm superstitious about jinx's.

Oh, I was at the first interview day, and they told us 3/15 then.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
I Got The Letter Today!!!!! I'm In!!!!!!!!

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
I Got The Letter Today!!!!! I'm In!!!!!!!!

congratulations!!!

to frisky pony: I got that email too

Congrats raiderj!!!! Where do you live?!

ahhh! I'm in!!! Just got my letter today! I am so excited. This is made all the sweeter by the fact that its been the ****iest week EVER at work... we've had intentional poisonings including the worst rat poisoning I've ever seen, hit-by-cars, and cardiac arrests up the wazooo, and we're not even an emergency clinic...I was starting to worry that the end to this horrible week would be capped off by a rejection letter!!I'm so excited!

FYI for you guys...it comes in a regular sized envelope but it's pretty plush because there's three pieces of paper in it...one of which I hope is your nice, thick acceptance letter!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting...I'm pulling for you guys!
:laugh:

ahhh! I'm in!!! Just got my letter today! I am so excited. This is made all the sweeter by the fact that its been the ****iest week EVER at work... we've had intentional poisonings including the worst rat poisoning I've ever seen, hit-by-cars, and cardiac arrests up the wazooo, and we're not even an emergency clinic...I was starting to worry that the end to this horrible week would be capped off by a rejection letter!!I'm so excited!

FYI for you guys...it comes in a regular sized envelope but it's pretty plush because there's three pieces of paper in it...one of which I hope is your nice, thick acceptance letter!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting...I'm pulling for you guys!
:laugh:

congratulations, kixx-you deserve it after waiting a whole yr.

gahhh!! where do you guys live? i got the email, but not the letter. but again, i'm in indiana. EEP! (congats, btw!)

I live about 20 minutes drive from them and I received nothing. Oh well may be tomorrow... as long as its good news I can wait an other day.

from zilla:

icon1.gif
Hey Westerners
To those of you getting into Western, can you please post the location of where the letter was sent? Considering I'm in South Florida, I'm sure it's taking a while to get here, but I'd like to see if anyone near me got theirs.

Has anyone received any additional information regarding Western University's accreditation status other than the email they had sent in October. I know they are currently under Provisional Accreditation until they graduate their first class which is the current semester. Will they lose their provisional accreditation after this semester, and what happens if they do not receive full accreditation, will they lose their provisional accreditation as well. There was a delay in the building of their hospital so I'm not sure if it will affect their status.

I've been accepted to several schools but I really want to attend Western
----but only if they are accredited. (I have not received a letter from them but I feel my chances are good. I'm in NY so I'm sure the weather will delay the letter a few days.) Unfortunately, they will not receive their accreditation (if they do so) until after Spring--which is after our deadline.

I live about an hour and a half from the school, so that's prob why I got it so quickly

just got the letter :eek: so who're going to be my roomies?? (i'm in indiana, at present).

just got the letter :eek: so who're going to be my roomies?? (i'm in indiana, at present).

Congratulations, Alice! Hope the mailman brings me a belated b'day gift on Monday.

me, too, Danielle! Let us know ASAP!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

HAPPY B-DAY!!!!!

Congras to everyone who got in. I just check the mail. nothing for me yet. oh well may be on Monday...

Just opened my letter .... in a small envelope, so at first my heart sunk as I thought it may be a rejection, but it turned out to be an acceptance. Good luck everyone!

Acceptance letter came in the mail today. I live in Northern CA.

Rahhh! Nothing yet...I'm in Florida so it probably won't be until Tuesday. I'm trying not to pull my hair out. Congrats to you guys that got in!!! :)

And I know my mom is reading this thread, Hi mom!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA oh man, we are addicted to SDN more than I thought :laugh:

(Also evidenced by the fact that I'm reading the Western thread even though I didn't apply there)

bunnybites, i am not too sure about this, but from somewhere that i have heard (i'm not sure where), but if you do attend western (which should receive its full accreditation very soon) then you will be graduating from a fully accredited school, even if for some reason they lose their full/provisional accreditation sometime during your schooling there. i think that is what i heard via an email awhile back and maybe from when i interviewed there.

hope this helps and is accurate.

we were told this, too, during my interview. we were also told accreditation was delayed until 2008, but we weren't given a reason.

bunnybites, i am not too sure about this, but from somewhere that i have heard (i'm not sure where), but if you do attend western (which should receive its full accreditation very soon) then you will be graduating from a fully accredited school, even if for some reason they lose their full/provisional accreditation sometime during your schooling there. i think that is what i heard via an email awhile back and maybe from when i interviewed there.

hope this helps and is accurate.

The funny thing here is I AM the "mom" reading the thread!!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA oh man, we are addicted to SDN more than I thought :laugh:

(Also evidenced by the fact that I'm reading the Western thread even though I didn't apply there)

cyrille - me too!! :laugh: so excited for you all, and awaiting the results of a few more of you...

Wait, you're Jusl89's mom?

nah dude, i think she's just saying she IS a mom reading these threads. she's a non-trad, no?

my mom reads sdn too... we're a team :)

Originally Posted by cyrille104
Wait, you're Jusl89's mom?

nah dude, i think she's just saying she IS a mom reading these threads. she's a non-trad, no?

my mom reads sdn too... we're a team
I am not Jusl89's mom- actually Horsybaby's mom. But we are definately a "team" Perfect description Emio!

congrats everyone!! i received my letter at around 4pm on friday afternoon. i live 40 minutes away (by car) from western u.
good luck to those of you who haven't received your letter yet!

A large tortoise is probably dragging my letter all the way from Ca. to NJ.

Oh god, I hope mine comes to NY by slightly faster transportation... :p ...preferably tomorrow!!!! :scared:

But I know exactly how you feel!!!!
It's not fair--I want to know NOW!!!! :mad: *kicking and screaming on the floor*

guys....i think there's a way you might be able to find out right now (emphasize MIGHT). they've assigned those of us who've been accepted email accounts at mail.westernu.edu. if you go there, you can type in your first initial and last name: john smith = jsmith. your password will be the last two digits of the year of your birth and the last four digits of your sosh: ex. 782304. if you can log in with that information, you're definitely in. if you can't, it just might be that your log in information is different. thought this might help...

When I went to mail.western.edu it says: Western State College of Colorado. Is this the correct address?

Thanks!

guys....i think there's a way you might be able to find out right now (emphasize MIGHT). they've assigned those of us who've been accepted email accounts at mail.western.edu. if you go there, you can type in your first initial and last name: john smith = jsmith. your password will be the last two digits of the year of your birth and the last four digits of your sosh: ex. 782304. if you can log in with that information, you're definitely in. if you can't, it just might be that your log in information is different. thought this might help...

That's the most underhanded, sneaky, ingenious thing I've ever heard :thumbup:

i always forget the U!!! mail.westernu.edu

sorry.

and thanks, cyrille :D