Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
twosoakers I love you!!!! It didn't work for me, but I love you anyway!!!! Thanks so much! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

guys....i think there's a way you might be able to find out right now (emphasize MIGHT). they've assigned those of us who've been accepted email accounts at mail.westernu.edu. if you go there, you can type in your first initial and last name: john smith = jsmith. your password will be the last two digits of the year of your birth and the last four digits of your sosh: ex. 782304. if you can log in with that information, you're definitely in. if you can't, it just might be that your log in information is different. thought this might help...

It was a brilliant & diabolical idea but it did not work for me either-truly bumming out. Gosh I hope this does not mean I am definitely rejected.

guys....i think there's a way you might be able to find out right now (emphasize MIGHT). they've assigned those of us who've been accepted email accounts at mail.westernu.edu. if you go there, you can type in your first initial and last name: john smith = jsmith. your password will be the last two digits of the year of your birth and the last four digits of your sosh: ex. 782304. if you can log in with that information, you're definitely in. if you can't, it just might be that your log in information is different. thought this might help...

haha, i've been trying to decide for the last day whether I wanted to tell you guys this or not...I was afraid it'd take the fun and anticipation out of camping out by your mailbox and getting to open the actual letter...I was also afraid that some of you would try it and not have it work maybe because they gave you a different name or something due to your name already being assigned to someone with the same last name and then you would get a false sense of depression until the good news came in the mail. buuuut, oh well, i guess the secret is out! they used the same method for my name and password as twosoakers mentioned. Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it too much - even if you didn't get an acceptance, according to the Western alternate thread you have a good chance of being an alternate. To recap: they interview 306, accept 170, and go through most, if not all, of their waitlist every year. So I would imagine they have at least 100 on the wait list. And even then you have a good chance of getting in! :luck: AND that's just the worst case scenario.

yes, i know here at purdue that sometimes if someone has a similar/same name, they place any combo of numbers behind the name to differentitate it. i didn't mean to do harm; i just wanted to help out a little. hopefully, both of you will get acceptances with any number but 13 behind your email names, because i really like you both and want you in my problem groups. :laugh:

yes, the purdue students i'm taking classes with now who were accepted at western last year said they moved through most (if not all) of the waiting list, probably some declinations due to similar notions as the criticism posted on the csu vs western vs wsu thread. and purdue vet students don't lie :idea: even though a few are republicans!

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both!! let us know as soon as you know!

alice

raaahhh TwoSoakers!!! You're a sneaky one, aren't you! I love you to death though, because I've got an inbox full of email waiting for me at that address!!!!

LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU!!!!
ha!
:)

i just got my letter today. I'm in! I nearly tackled the mailman. I've been skipping class watching the mailbox all morning!

i'm in pennsylvania.

k, now its official. My letter came in this morning. I'm in Orlando, Florida. :) Good luck, everyone!

we were told this, too, during my interview. we were also told accreditation was delayed until 2008, but we weren't given a reason.

They have to have the full COE team available to come to do the final evaluation after we graduate. We graduate in May, but the full team will not be available to all come until 2008, hense the delay.

Congrats to all that got in! The next four years will be really tough, but man they fly by fast:eek:

thanks, chris. would you also go over to the csu vs western vs wsu thread and set them straight about western pumping out 'bad' veterinarians? it's that exact elitist attitude that prompts pepole not to apply let alone accept their admissions. thanks.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)!!!!!! (i'm sorry if i don't seem excited...i'm not good at showing emotion):):):):love::love::love:

Well guys, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm on the alternate list. I wish I was in, but alternate list is still great considering it's my first time applying and all!!! Good luck to everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it worked! I didn't get a letter today (I am in AZ) but I did have an email address. Thank you so much for that piece of information!!

Now that I got into Western....next problem.....Does anybody that is looking into living at the Helix want a roomate. I am male....don't party and pretty much keep to myself. I am very relaxed, and don't get angry at much. Ok well just let me know if anyone is interested!

i need a roomate that's going to let me have my cats!

Ah rejected again. You would think I would get the hint after my 15th rejection. (I have not been applying for 15 years but about 15 schools in total between this year and last year). I think this is it for me. Good luck to everyone else though. :)

I like cats (I am going to vet school after all...I kinda have too)
If anyone wants to chat with me about possibly living in the Helix next year.....my AIM is turix169 and my yahoo sn is turix43

I was accepted but I will be forfeiting my seat so if there are any waitlist/alternate applicants, you will be eligible for one more seat!! Good luck to everyone!;)

Thanks for the information scws and twosoakers, its good to hear for the upcoming class. I was accepted to Western :) but my husband's company agreed to relocate him to the Chicago office. So it looks like I'll be heading to UIUC instead.

Now that I got into Western....next problem.....Does anybody that is looking into living at the Helix want a roomate. I am male....don't party and pretty much keep to myself. I am very relaxed, and don't get angry at much. Ok well just let me know if anyone is interested!

I wouldnt rush living at the Helix. It is really exspensive and alot of first years this year don't think its worth the money. Housing might be a cheaper... Make sure you check it out before signing up and check out other places locally

Where do you recommend living, Wolf? Apt complex? Private owner?

Where do you recommend living, Wolf? Apt complex? Private owner?

Really depends what your looking for. Personally I dont mind a 5 min drive to school to save $100+ dollars a month. If your not worried about cost, and dont mind having a yard then nothing beats the helix.

If you have a dog, want a yard, and dont mind driving a few mins, your in So.Cal tons of places to live. of course you will have to have roommates but I live in the Helix now and have been looking for places to move out too. I have found that for a 2-3 bedroom if everyone splits the rent it is about 450-550 compared to the 650 at the helix.. Not to mention rent is suppose to go up 100-250 dollars.. They havnt decided yet

ouch. I'm in Indiana at Purdue, where it's dirt cheap to live, but I start Western in August and need to find a place to live. I hope they send us the roomate search materials, soon. I liked that the Helix had free internet and free cable (well, not really free, but covered). When I called today, though, they claimed to have a long waiting list, but seemed anxious to take my app. I haven't sent one in yet. I haven't lived with anyone but my boyfriend for years, so living with other people is going to be interesting. I really want to bring 3 of my cats with me, too. If you have any more advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

ouch. I'm in Indiana at Purdue, where it's dirt cheap to live, but I start Western in August and need to find a place to live. I hope they send us the roomate search materials, soon. I liked that the Helix had free internet and free cable (well, not really free, but covered). When I called today, though, they claimed to have a long waiting list, but seemed anxious to take my app. I haven't sent one in yet. I haven't lived with anyone but my boyfriend for years, so living with other people is going to be interesting. I really want to bring 3 of my cats with me, too. If you have any more advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

If you just have cats it might be fine for you... Cable is basic channels, and internet is really slow at night.. But it should be mentioned they switch management because the last management was horrible. They said they were making changes.......

Any questions you have I will try and provide answers... Just enjoy your summer.. You will have fun at western. We have lots of fun activities. Soccer teams, Softball teams, parties on the weekends, but even more studying during the weekdays! good times..

I'm actually only waitlisted :)( ), but I've heard from a few people (students and applicants from southern Cal) that Pomona is sketchy and that you do not want to live there, so when you mention living 5 minutes away, is there someplace that's not as sketchy (assuming they are correct)?

Also, do you ever have problems with parking, etc, since you drive?

Also, how sketchy is Pomona, really? (I'm a bit naive about that sort of stuff, but when I was there I didn't really think it was that bad.)

Thanks!

hey frisky, i didn't think it was that bad, either. rather pastel, actually, but when i went to the newspaper, all that is reported on is shootings and the like:

http://www.dailybulletin.com/

but still, i've lived in worse places where gang shootings happened frequently. i'd rather live in pomona to be close to everyone--my groups and the like, for at least the first year. i don't think western has 'lost' anyone living in pomona yet :)

the most dangerous thing that happened appeared to be the dean's husband jaywalking and getting hit by a car--hence, now students are readily cited for jaywalking. or so our guide told us.

the most dangerous thing that happened appeared to be the dean's husband jaywalking and getting hit by a car--hence, now students are readily cited for jaywalking. or so our guide told us.
All I can say is Wow!!!

Thanks for the link!

hey frisky, i didn't think it was that bad, either. rather pastel, actually, but when i went to the newspaper, all that is reported on is shootings and the like:

http://www.dailybulletin.com/

but still, i've lived in worse places where gang shootings happened frequently. i'd rather live in pomona to be close to everyone--my groups and the like, for at least the first year. i don't think western has 'lost' anyone living in pomona yet :)

He did not jaywalk. There used to not be a traffic light at that intersection, he was walking in the crosswalk (there were no cars when he started crossing) and a truck went speeding through and hit him. It was a very disturbing thing to watch, and I am glad he is okay. The school finally listened to our pleads for a light there after that:eek:

good to know.

hopefully, the truck stopped. in indiana, they don't.

chris, where do you recommend living in pomona?

He did not jaywalk. There used to not be a traffic light at that intersection, he was walking in the crosswalk (there were no cars when he started crossing) and a truck went speeding through and hit him. It was a very disturbing thing to watch, and I am glad he is okay. The school finally listened to our pleads for a light there after that:eek:

Oh, I don't think we meant he was in the wrong, although it's good to be accurate (I mean that the tourguide should have been more accurate, not twosoakers). I realized my "Wow" could be taken any number of ways, so I wanted to clarify my meaning. For me the issue is not whether he was or wasn't jaywalking, but rather that it's insane and terrible that anyone would hit him regardless! I'm glad he's okay too.

don't worry, pony; just get your damned acceptance letter so we all can get a house together!

good to know.

hopefully, the truck stopped. in indiana, they don't.

chris, where do you recommend living in pomona?

I actually live :eek: down the street a couple of miles from the school. I have never had any problems (I live with my husband, not alone) and I got super cheap rent for a house. The key is for you to go and look at the area if you are going to find a place IN Pomona. If not ten minute drive in any direction is more suburban (nicer) areas like chino hills, claremont, diamond bar, covina, glendora etc. I am leaving my place in mid June so it might be available early July or so (depends on how long it takes the owners to get it ready for the next tenant.) I lived in the same house for all four years and grew attached to it, even though the outside is kinda ugly:laugh:

I'm actually only waitlisted :)( ), but I've heard from a few people (students and applicants from southern Cal) that Pomona is sketchy and that you do not want to live there, so when you mention living 5 minutes away, is there someplace that's not as sketchy (assuming they are correct)?

Also, do you ever have problems with parking, etc, since you drive?

Also, how sketchy is Pomona, really? (I'm a bit naive about that sort of stuff, but when I was there I didn't really think it was that bad.)

Thanks!

Pomona isn't that bad. I guess it depends where you are living now. I have seen worse areas. Go to downtown LA then come back and you will think pomona is a nice area. I have heard of alot of problems, shootings, and robbery, everything you would get with big cities....

Hey Chris, I sent you a private message about your house. :)

Thanks! Do mean that you've heard of them happening in Pomona?

Yea they happen in pomona. I think the biggest shock for people who have not been to So. Cal is that you can drive 10 miles down a street and not realize you went into 5 different cities. They happen in the general area but like I said its really not as bad as people make it. Western provides security anytime the campus is open and can have people walk you to your car if you don't feel safe. I personally think they do a good job and have never seen any problem on campus or heard of any problems of breaking in or people getting stuff stolen on campus

It's so weird to be reading this on SDN. I was there when it happened and called 911 to report it. Man that was a long time ago.