Western VS Touro-CA Pharmacy

Started by RX091607
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RX091607

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys!

I was offered a seat in the class of 2016 for Western and Touro-CA COP. I'm not sure which to attend. I need some help on this decision! 😕 Those of you who are currently or did attend these schools give me your opinion on the the advantages/disadvantages of your program (curriculum, rotations, ect.). It'd really help, 😍

I also made a list of personal advantages/disadvantages and things I've heard.

Touro

Advantages:
- small class
- close to home and SF
- Open door policy for professors
- high pass rates for NAPLEX and COJE (?)
-relatively low housing
- dual degree pharmD/MPH

Disadvantage:
- trouble with rotations (?)
- low convenience for food/necessities ( on an island)
- relatively new school
- not the best looking school
- $2000 deposit


- I haven't heard anything about residencies?

Western

Advantages:
- long-time established pharmacy school
- close to family
- big emphasis on community
- small campus
- good rotations!
-convenience

Disadvantages:
- high cost of living
- "bad" area of pomona

Thanks guys!! Any advice helps! 😍
 
Seems to me you answered your own question. I was taking a look at your pros and cons list for each school and one list seems to have more advantages to your future career and less cons.

Hey Guys!

I was offered a seat in the class of 2016 for Western and Touro-CA COP. I'm not sure which to attend. I need some help on this decision! 😕 Those of you who are currently or did attend these schools give me your opinion on the the advantages/disadvantages of your program (curriculum, rotations, ect.). It'd really help, 😍

I also made a list of personal advantages/disadvantages and things I've heard.

Touro

Advantages:
- small class
- close to home and SF
- Open door policy for professors
- high pass rates for NAPLEX and COJE (?)
-relatively low housing
- dual degree pharmD/MPH

Disadvantage:
- trouble with rotations (?)
- low convenience for food/necessities ( on an island)
- relatively new school
- not the best looking school
- $2000 deposit


- I haven't heard anything about residencies?

Western

Advantages:
- long-time established pharmacy school
- close to family
- big emphasis on community
- small campus
- good rotations!
-convenience

Disadvantages:
- high cost of living
- "bad" area of pomona

Thanks guys!! Any advice helps! 😍
 
Seems to me you answered your own question. I was taking a look at your pros and cons list for each school and one list seems to have more advantages to your future career and less cons.

Thanks! I noticed that too 🙄 I guess i'm just hesitant because I didnt know if 1) there were other advantages and disadvantages to the schools and 2) the rotations (IPPE + APPE) about Touro and Western were ( as far as "good" vs "bad")