Western vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent_05

Reaction score
Hello SDN Members,

I am very fortunate enough to have been accepted to both schools and was wondering if you guys could provide input on which school you think is better to attend and why.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN Members,

I am very fortunate enough to have been accepted to both schools and was wondering if you guys could provide input on which school you think is better to attend and why.

Thank you.

I also got into both, and I would say if money is a concern, definitely western. USC tuition is one of the highest in the country and rent is very expensive too. If you’re on a scholarship of some sort, I’d probably choose USC. But don’t underestimate how bad loans can screw you over in the future if you plan on taking out $120+ per year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
I also got into both, and I would say if money is a concern, definitely western. USC tuition is one of the highest in the country and rent is very expensive too. If you’re on a scholarship of some sort, I’d probably choose USC. But don’t underestimate how bad loans can screw you over in the future if you plan on taking out $120+ per year.

Thank you for your reply. Did you end up deciding to go to either school? I believe that the total difference between USC and Western U over the four years is roughly $75-80k (interest included). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your reply. Did you end up deciding to go to either school? I believe that the total difference between USC and Western U over the four years is roughly $75-80k (interest included). Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am going to a different school where I was offered a scholarship. I don’t know the exact difference but that sounds accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
I only got into USC and I'm thinking of applying next year because of the tuition cost.

Just looking at tuition, I'm seeing $333K for Western U and $420K for USC. How is this a serious question/decision?!

What you need to ask yourself is: do I even want to attend dental school if I'm paying $333K PRE-Interest? IMO, I think anything over $300K is where you should REALLY think hard about it.

It's beyond me people still go to USC/NYU without scholarships. How can they possibly justify paying twice as much as me for the same degree? Unreal

Reactions: 1 users
Cost of living around Western is generally cheaper as well. Many students commute about 15 minutes (Chino hills, rancho areas) and are much nicer than the immediate area around western. The same can't be said about USC because most of the area around isn't great. I'm from the area and got accepted to both and declined both. Go to Western and you'll save more than that 80k when it's all said and done - way more. There's literally 0 benefit of going to USC over western.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheaper tuition for sure. Both schools are good. As a matter of fact bunch of USC faculties started working at WesternU last year :)

I’ve never heard anything good about going to USC other than having the brand name on your degree that no patient ever cares to see or ask what school you went to. I’d choose WesternU 100x over USC.

if you don't mind me asking, besides your GPAs, what were your stats? I applied to MWU-AZ, ASDOH, and louisville so I'm curious.

120 hrs shadowing 2 different dentists.
800+ hrs volunteering.
Many leadership positions in clubs.
Non-traditional applicant with 12 years work experience (zero dental experience).
Solid personal statement on what led me to dentistry and my personal insights on what it means to me.

Those research hours might balance out the volunteer hours. Its more academically weighted but how could you have time to volunteer when all your free time was in research? :) I do know the average accepted student at ASDOH had volunteer hours in the hundreds, since their school focuses on the underserved population. But your stats are really competitive so I wouldn't worry for most of the schools. You'll stand out. The only other thing you have to nail is the personal statement because some schools are looking for you to fit their culture. If you get an invite to MWU, then everything is riding on your interview in the end. I felt it was the same at ASDOH and can only imagine Louisville is similar - :unsure: I gave that interview away.

Those research hours might balance out the volunteer hours. Its more academically weighted but how could you have time to volunteer when all your free time was in research? :) I do know the average accepted student at ASDOH had volunteer hours in the hundreds, since their school focuses on the underserved population. But your stats are really competitive so I wouldn't worry for most of the schools. You'll stand out. The only other thing you have to nail is the personal statement because some schools are looking for you to fit their culture. If you get an invite to MWU, then everything is riding on your interview in the end. I felt it was the same at ASDOH and can only imagine Louisville is similar - :unsure: I gave that interview away.
yea I was a research assistant for about 2-3 years (partime during school and full time during the summer) and then during the last year of that, I get a 2nd job as an orderly in the hospital. I worked two part time jobs during my senior year probably averaged 30-35 hours a week. I was hoping this would show that I can handle a busy schedule and still succeed. I still had a social life as well but I enjoyed working out 5-6 times a week and watching netflix in my downtime so I didn't do a ton of other extracurriculars. I grew up living outside of a town with a population of about 50. My dad is an agricultural farmer. I drove 20 min for school in a town that had about 1200 people(graduated with 30 in my class). It also had the only hospital in the county. I tried to stress that I came from a underserved community growing up and would love to end up working in a similar community.

• Love
I grew up living outside of a town with a population of about 50. My dad is an agricultural farmer. I drove 20 min for school in a town that had about 1200 people(graduated with 30 in my class). It also had the only hospital in the county. I tried to stress that I came from a underserved community growing up and would love to end up working in a similar community.

If this is the case, then you're definitely going to get your app pulled by all these schools. And whether you volunteered or worked, you're getting the same experience in healthcare - probably more so since you would be given more responsibilities as a trained employee. It sounds like you have a really solid app here. The last bit is what kind of personality you developed and how you can present yourself in an interview, like the way you problem solve through scenarios they throw at you. Best of luck!

Just looking at tuition, I'm seeing $333K for Western U and $420K for USC. How is this a serious question/decision?!

What you need to ask yourself is: do I even want to attend dental school if I'm paying $333K PRE-Interest? IMO, I think anything over $300K is where you should REALLY think hard about it.

It's beyond me people still go to USC/NYU without scholarships. How can they possibly justify paying twice as much as me for the same degree? Unreal
300K pre or post interest? I think it's hard to find schools that are less 300k post interest nowadays.

Reactions: 1 users