western...western...western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCUBA GIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why didn't i get an interview there (yet) when i got interviewed by the best Do's and got into 4 of the best including MSUCOM? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

why are you so modest? :rolleyes:

Sometimes you just can't explain it.

Be proud of your accomplishments and congratulations on getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCUBA GIRL said:
why didn't i get an interview there (yet) when i got interviewed by the best Do's and got into 4 of the best including MSUCOM? :confused:

Why let it bother you?

I got invited to interview there. I even flew out to LA. then I changed my mind the day before the interview and decided to spend the time hanging out with my brother instead (he lives in LA).

COMP was one of the first schools to send out interviews, and I noticed that although their interview list was huge, their acceptance list on SDN was small in comparison.

its a good school. but like you said, you got into other great schools too. you should be happy.

SCUBA GIRL said:

I think b/c they do have preference to CA residents, even though they are private school. They just know that CA residents who cannot get into UC schools that are VERY competitive, but still want to stay in the area, will pay all that high tuition just to attend COMP. At least its better for them than to apply to out-of-state schools, that will charge them non-resident tuition that will be even higher, etc.
I think MSUCOM is far better school, academically and reputation wise. So if you have acceptance from them, and you are MI resident, go there. I used to be MI res. and now I regret a big time that I switched to CA residency, as it puts me in a disadvantage in my med school application process.

Thank you for your response and encouragement everyone! and it's not a matter of modesty, it's a matter of frustration at the randomness of school decisions

Good luck to all those waiting to hear from COMP.

SCUBA GIRL said:
It's a blessing in disguise SUCBA GIRL unless you really wanted to stay in CA.

superflyDO said:
It's a blessing in disguise SUCBA GIRL unless you really wanted to stay in CA.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with superflyDO on this one.

I'm a Cali resident and I had a Sept interview at COMP, which went well, but I got placed on the "alternate" list. When I interviewed at MSUCOM, I got to compare the curriculums, a huge deal to me as I really want an early-patient experience and systems-based education. MSUCOM has these in spades and the education is more than comparable to any MD school and pulls ahead in many respects!

COMP on the other hand has that dreaded first quarter/semester (I don't remember which anymore) in which they compress 30-something units and almost everything under the sun so that "all our students, no matter their background are on the same foot"- my ass. I'm a Classics major graduate, I can assure you that I have similar science experience as anyother med applicant, I made sure of that! 3 years of chemistry, a year of bio with physio and microbiology, as well as physics and calc.

The reality is that COMP waves goodbye to 20-30 students after that and MSUCOM keeps all their students, period. Big Big difference. It made COMP slip to a last place on my lists. Plus MSUCOM's rotations are state-wide and varied at outstanding hospitals, COMP seems to have bottom-tier hospitals on their list, come on, Pacific!? :rolleyes:
I know that you can arrange great rotations and research at Loma Linda, USC and others, but that's not standard. The potential of COMP is significant and impressive, but their run-of-the-mill doesn't make me salivate like MSU's.

Just my 2bits there...
Scuba, take the MSU acceptance and run with it! :D

subtle1epiphany said:
Yeah, I'd have to agree with superflyDO on this one.

I'm a Cali resident and I had a Sept interview at COMP, which went well, but I got placed on the "alternate" list. When I interviewed at MSUCOM, I got to compare the curriculums, a huge deal to me as I really want an early-patient experience and systems-based education. MSUCOM has these in spades and the education is more than comparable to any MD school and pulls ahead in many respects!

COMP on the other hand has that dreaded first quarter/semester (I don't remember which anymore) in which they compress 30-something units and almost everything under the sun so that "all our students, no matter their background are on the same foot"- my ass. I'm a Classics major graduate, I can assure you that I have similar science experience as anyother med applicant, I made sure of that! 3 years of chemistry, a year of bio with physio and microbiology, as well as physics and calc.

The reality is that COMP waves goodbye to 20-30 students after that and MSUCOM keeps all their students, period. Big Big difference. It made COMP slip to a last place on my lists. Plus MSUCOM's rotations are state-wide and varied at outstanding hospitals, COMP seems to have bottom-tier hospitals on their list, come on, Pacific!? :rolleyes:
I know that you can arrange great rotations and research at Loma Linda, USC and others, but that's not standard. The potential of COMP is significant and impressive, but their run-of-the-mill doesn't make me salivate like MSU's.

Just my 2bits there...
Scuba, take the MSU acceptance and run with it! :D

everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i don't know if you'd be tootin the same horn if you were accepted instead of being placed on the alternate list...it sounds like "the lower tier" COMP slapped you in the face, will the "prestigious" MSUCOM accepted you; in the end all medical schools are the same, you learn the same things;

regarding the first semester, sure its grueling, but people survive, the administration is not out to get 20 to 30 people and get rid of them; people leave because they realize medicine is not for them, sometimes people are asked to leave because they consistently are not doing well, its hard to believe that nobody leaves MSUCOM and they have a 0% attrition rate...

i spent a year at georgetown taking classes with the medical students and the first semester is tough there as well; its tough everywhere; they had their exams all in one week, COMP spreads them apart each week; i'm not sure which i'd prefer but either way its grueling

i can't say much for the rotations because i'm just a first year, but i've heard from third years that the university does have great connections in southern california.

regarding clinicals; we start intro to clinical medicine next friday

its been said several times that you get what you put into your education, it stands true no matter where you go; i chose to go to COMP because I want to stick around in soCal; i'm not sure where you got your information from but a lot of it seems to have been written in a fit of passion after you didn't receive a letter of admission from the university

FowlersGap said:
everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i don't know if you'd be tootin the same horn if you were accepted instead of being placed on the alternate list...it sounds like "the lower tier" COMP slapped you in the face, will the "prestigious" MSUCOM accepted you; in the end all medical schools are the same, you learn the same things;

regarding the first semester, sure its grueling, but people survive, the administration is not out to get 20 to 30 people and get rid of them; people leave because they realize medicine is not for them, sometimes people are asked to leave because they consistently are not doing well, its hard to believe that nobody leaves MSUCOM and they have a 0% attrition rate...

i spent a year at georgetown taking classes with the medical students and the first semester is tough there as well; its tough everywhere; they had their exams all in one week, COMP spreads them apart each week; i'm not sure which i'd prefer but either way its grueling

i can't say much for the rotations because i'm just a first year, but i've heard from third years that the university does have great connections in southern california.

regarding clinicals; we start intro to clinical medicine next friday

its been said several times that you get what you put into your education, it stands true no matter where you go; i chose to go to COMP because I want to stick around in soCal; i'm not sure where you got your information from but a lot of it seems to have been written in a fit of passion after you didn't receive a letter of admission from the university
Yes, it's true that COMP didn't accept me and that I did feel hurt. But I realized that the school was not for me, and I shared those reasons above. I'm pretty harsh on most schools, even if I love them, I know I'll be harsh on MSU when I see things that don't go as I'd want them in a perfect world and I'm quite vocal on the subjects when I get going. (I did the same at my undergrad and I loved it there)

For me, COMP is definitely not the place, I felt that the education was not what I wanted for the reasons above. I know that COMP grads do exceptionally well, in the match and beyond.
I don't question that the school puts out outstanding physicians that are really well respected in SoCal and nationwide. The rotation hospitals were not what I expected, but I've talked to grads who rotated at some of the best hospitals in SoCal and then went on to residency at Loma Linda and fellowship at UCSF in cardiology. So I have no doubt that they do things right there. I apologize for being so antagonistic above, I really try to keep things civil on the forum and only put down real information that I've researched and investigated, and I really began to cross the line.

I do know that MSUCOM's attrition is not 0, but it's reportedly pretty small, a couple students who are held back one year, but finish cleanly. This is what I was told when I interviewed.

I hope you understand that I spoke with a bit out of line earlier, but I apologize and mostly I was talking about my opinion and COMP isn't for me. So we're cool!? :thumbup: :confused:

subtle1epiphany said:
Yes, it's true that COMP didn't accept me and that I did feel hurt. But I realized that the school was not for me, and I shared those reasons above. I'm pretty harsh on most schools, even if I love them, I know I'll be harsh on MSU when I see things that don't go as I'd want them in a perfect world and I'm quite vocal on the subjects when I get going. (I did the same at my undergrad and I loved it there)

For me, COMP is definitely not the place, I felt that the education was not what I wanted for the reasons above. I know that COMP grads do exceptionally well, in the match and beyond.
I don't question that the school puts out outstanding physicians that are really well respected in SoCal and nationwide. The rotation hospitals were not what I expected, but I've talked to grads who rotated at some of the best hospitals in SoCal and then went on to residency at Loma Linda and fellowship at UCSF in cardiology. So I have no doubt that they do things right there. I apologize for being so antagonistic above, I really try to keep things civil on the forum and only put down real information that I've researched and investigated, and I really began to cross the line.

I do know that MSUCOM's attrition is not 0, but it's reportedly pretty small, a couple students who are held back one year, but finish cleanly. This is what I was told when I interviewed.

I hope you understand that I spoke with a bit out of line earlier, but I apologize and mostly I was talking about my opinion and COMP isn't for me. So we're cool!? :thumbup: :confused:

we're cool; i just feel the need to say something when i see misinformed posts that will leave other students confused

FowlersGap, just to add to subtle1epiphany's post, it really is not misinformation. I have heard the same things from multiple sources about COMP (I'm talking about their graduates). Current students obviously have a bias and don't know much about their rotations either. The attrition, the first semester/year, the hospitals (yeah, the location is good but we're not talking about location), etc. Anyway, it's true that we get what we want from our school but it's nice to choose a school that has the least potential problems. We can't have it all though... afterall, COMP is in California.

SCUBA GIRL said:

Why then are you taking the MCAT next year? (referring to your post in the pre-MD forum)