WesternU/COMP deferred acceptance or AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOncoDOc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I'm kind of in a limbo in deciding between a deferred acceptance at WesternU/COMP and starting this fall at AZCOM. After interviewing at COMP, I really came away feeling that it was the school for me and I totally envisioned myself being there for the next four years of my life. I also enjoyed my interview at AZCOM with its beautiful campus but one of the things that concerned me was AZCOM's push towards more preceptor based rotations along with the nearly 53k tuition. As a SoCal native, I would have the opportunity to commute to WesternU and would save quite a bit. Anyways, what should I do? Should I wait out another a year for WesternU/COMP? Thanks a lot everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get offered s spot for 2017 or are you applying again. First one, up to you and how important staying close is. Second one, go to AZCOM.

Deferring for a year has a massive cost, you are essentially giving you up a year's worth of income as a physician i.e. 6 figures. Do you really dislike AZCOM that much that you are willing to wait a year, you did apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferring for a year has a massive cost, you are essentially giving you up a year's worth of income as a physician i.e. 6 figures. Do you really dislike AZCOM that much that you are willing to wait a year, you did apply there.

Yes, but if he accrue's a large mass of extra debt by going to one school over the other (way high tuition, living expenses etc), does it make it worth it to go to the school you like less?

Did you get offered s spot for 2017 or are you applying again. First one, up to you and how important staying close is. Second one, go to AZCOM.

Yea I was offered a spot for the class of 2017 WesternU/COMP.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed my interview at AZCOM I just didn't like the direction the school was headed in terms of its clinical rotations being geared towards preceptor-based rotations. COMP is just much more convenient for me being a SoCal native with my the majority of my family here which gives me the option of commuting and saving quite a bit off of living expenses.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed my interview at AZCOM I just didn't like the direction the school was headed in terms of its clinical rotations being geared towards preceptor-based rotations. COMP is just much more convenient for me being a SoCal native with my the majority of my family here which gives me the option of commuting and saving quite a bit off of living expenses.

I would definitely go with the deferred acceptance.

Yes, but if he accrue's a large mass of extra debt by going to one school over the other (way high tuition, living expenses etc), does it make it worth it to go to the school you like less?

There isn't much of a difference tuition at Western is 49,510 http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-osteopathy versus 52,635 http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/Financial_Aid/Tuition.html the living expenses may make AZCOM more expensive, but not substantially more, assuming the OP can commute for all 4 years at Western the OP may save 60K, but at the same time loses a year which is realistically 150K or more. From a purely financial standpoint AZCOM is better.

Even with preceptor rotations (which also shied me away a little from AZCOM), their match lists each year are very, very strong. I would probably choose AZCOM over a deferred acceptance at Western. That is, of course, unless you are able to spend that year off traveling and having fun.

Hey guys thank you so much for the sound advice. I feel really compelled now to start this coming fall and attend AZCOM but I'll definitely think about it a bit more.