WesternU/COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paramedic2617

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does WestermU work clinicals into the first 2 years at all? or the first two years are just didactic?

Also, anyone have any pointers as to what I should write on the secondary app personal statement. More specifically, on the second section, it asks for qualities. I obviously dont want to be boastful but at the same time I want to put something that will stick out. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Herschel

Members don't see this ad.

Paramedic2617 said:
Does WestermU work clinicals into the first 2 years at all? or the first two years are just didactic?

Also, anyone have any pointers as to what I should write on the secondary app personal statement. More specifically, on the second section, it asks for qualities. I obviously dont want to be boastful but at the same time I want to put something that will stick out. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Herschel

Quick question: How long did it take to hear back from Western after your initial application? They got my AACOMAS one over a month ago and I haven't heard anything from them. I am already complete with secondaries and LORs at all other schools I applied to! I was planning on hearing from them already...

Answers:

1. www.westernu.edu
2. not to be harsh, but don't ever ask others what to write....... it's YOUR secondary!!

Members don't see this ad :)
gogo110182 said:
Answers:

1. www.westernu.edu
2. not to be harsh, but don't ever ask others what to write....... it's YOUR secondary!!

I know its my secondary. There is nothing wrong with asking for ideas.

Also, does anyone else have any input, maybe someone in the school. I already looked on their website and its not all that clear.

moinmoin said:
Quick question: How long did it take to hear back from Western after your initial application? They got my AACOMAS one over a month ago and I haven't heard anything from them. I am already complete with secondaries and LORs at all other schools I applied to! I was planning on hearing from them already...

I got a response from them less than a week after it was sent to them.

Hi there,

I went to the mini-conference/open house at Western this weekend and Kay Kalousek the chair of the COMP curriculum committe gave us a quick presentation. There is clinical stuff worked into the first 2 years.

Here is what it says in the handout they gave us: The "Essential of Clinical Medicine" course, which enables students to begin learning how to work with patients by developing histroy-taking and physical examination skills will now start in the first semester of the MS1 year.

Someone from the admissions office also gave a presentation and she went through a list of qualities. They are pretty generic but maybe one or two will inspire an essay:

academic ability
discipline appreciation of diversity
energy integrity
persistance responsibility
intellectual curiosity communication
caring professional potential
compassionate leadership
clinical experience/professional exposure

Hope that helped!

Thanks alot N1DERL&. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Are you going to be going to WesternU?

N1DERL& said:
Hi there,

Here is what it says in the handout they gave us: The "Essential of Clinical Medicine" course, which enables students to begin learning how to work with patients by developing histroy-taking and physical examination skills will now start in the first semester of the MS1 year.

In addition to ECM, almost all students get their early clinical experiences from Montclair clinic and PCHAT and PHOP. Students begin as early as in their 1st year, and these are free/low income clinics run by COMP students and physicians, where students are given lots of responsibility and sees a patient one-on-one and then presenting the case to the physician in charge. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of opportunities for a student to participate, especially with Montclair Clinic that happens all year round. Students have a pretty good time at these clinics and learn a great deal. These aren't graded but supposedly participants could get recognition in their files for them and it seems like everyone does them.

You're welcome paramedic2617! I hope it goes well for you with Western. :luck:

I didn't apply there, just went to the conference to see what osteopathy is all about. :)