Western COMP Adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch90

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I heard that for some medical schools, certain med students help out with the application process (i.e. casual interviews) and I was wondering if anyone knew how much access current COMP students have in adcoms and the application process for Western?
My ex boyfriend is a current student at Western Comp and we had a really bad and hurtful breakup. I am terrified that I might get him as my interviewer, or that he can somehow mess with my chance of getting in? Am I being crazy or this actually somehow possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's so highly unusual that a school would let a student interview or review the application of someone they know. Let alone a student who is your ex whom you had a really bad breakup with. If it were to theoretically happen (it won't) were to interview there, you would go to the admissions people immediately because I imagine they would be VERY interested in hearing this key piece of context.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it's so highly unusual that a school would let a student interview or review the application of someone they know. Let alone a student who is your ex whom you had a really bad breakup with. If it were to theoretically happen (it won't) were to interview there, you would go to the admissions people immediately because I imagine they would be VERY interested in hearing this key piece of context.
I had two interviews where they let student interview me so I do not think it's that unusual, one of them was Western COMP NW, a branch of Western Pomona.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it can happen. Yes, it could affect your chances.

Usually though, students who interview applicants are students who have been deemed student ambassadors. Furthermore, those students are supposed to do their jobs, and interview with professionalism and ethics. He should recuse himself ethically from the interview if he were to get you as an interviewee. IF, he does not, then you have every right to a fair interview, and let someone know what the past history is.

But, you can still run into the double edged sword of medical school politics. Admissions could also ask him what happened in the past and what his opinion is of you. Admissions could talk amongst themselves and decide the drama is not worth it at the school.

But I can assure you that these fears are small and relatively uncommon. Schools want the best students they can get in their seats, and if you fit that description, then you will be fine. If the school decided that your previous relationship, the drama, or his opinion of you is why you shouldn't be there, then I can also assure you that you really don't want to go to that kind of school either.

Best of luck, young grasshopper.

• Hmm
Hello
I heard that for some medical schools, certain med students help out with the application process (i.e. casual interviews) and I was wondering if anyone knew how much access current COMP students have in adcoms and the application process for Western?
My ex boyfriend is a current student at Western Comp and we had a really bad and hurtful breakup. I am terrified that I might get him as my interviewer, or that he can somehow mess with my chance of getting in? Am I being crazy or this actually somehow possible?
Very sorry to hear of this.
The odds of him harming your chances are nil

Ethically, he should recuse himself if he sees your name among those yo be interviewed.

Let's presume that he doesn't do that, but interviews you anyway.

You simply tell the Admissions Dean afterwards.

This will likely yield you a new interview, and land him in hot water.

You can also tell the Admissions Dean about this, should you get the interview

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Ethically, he should recuse himself if he sees your name among those yo be interviewed.

thank you!
is it in any way possible for him to find out I am applying unless if he specially gets me as an interviewee?

Some schools don't post who they are interviewing until the day of. If he happens to be interviewing that day and sees your name it is his duty to recuse himself. Do not post anywhere that you have an interview on that day either so he can not speak to others who interview and perhaps put a negative word to them. Admissions and interviewers take this process very seriously. Go in confident and blow them away!

Reactions: 1 users
I had two interviews where they let student interview me so I do not think it's that unusual, one of them was Western COMP NW, a branch of Western Pomona.

I think he meant they won't let a student who knows you interview you.

Exactly. Even if capable, he'd have too much to risk and nothing to gain by trying to sabotage your chances.

You should be fine, and if you for some reason do have him interview you, you can tell the faculty your concerns. The majority of it should be based on the faculty interviewer's perception and the MMI

Status
Not open for further replies.