WesternU vs. SCCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptomG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm deciding between Western and SCCO right now and would like some more opinions! I know that SCCO is an excellent school and has a great alumni association, but Western's interview WOW'ed me much much more. SCCO impressed me very much too, which is why I'm having a difficult time deciding. I love Western's curriculum and think the only downfall would be its lack of alumni (which isn't much of a problem) and non-accreditation (which will be changed next year because I'm sure they're going to be accredited). I'm a risk taker and feel that Western may be the better fit choice, but can anyone give me some dirt behind the scenes? Or rather your pros and cons of both schools? :)

Any opinions are much appreciated! I would love to hear from both current students and soon-to-be students! :xf:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just curious, why did westerns interview wow you? I have an interview invite from them, not sure if I actually want to go....

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious, why did westerns interview wow you? I have an interview invite from them, not sure if I actually want to go....

For many reasons! Their program is truly unique, just read their mission statement and core values. Western is all about neuro-rehabilitation (including vision therapy- which is what I want to do), humanism, and uniting multiple health professions. They are extremely ambitious and I have no doubt that they are going to be accredited next year. They took all the great components of the other optometry schools, combined them, and made them BETTER.

When do you see your first patient? 5 WEEKS INTO THE PROGRAM. You already start doing vision screenings for children in the Pomona area. I think that in itself is amazing.

Their equipment is top of the line, hands down, better than I've seen at UCBSO and SCCO (although SCCO's clinic is amazing as well). Lab equipment is awesome. Don't fret, they have the old stuff, too, so that you're knowledgable of both. When you open your practice one day, are you going to buy the new stuff or the old stuff? I don't know about you, but I'm going for the top notch stuff.

I like that every semester, you do a case study with a person from each health profession at the school. Better networking and a more balanced view of the health care profession. . I don't know how I would feel about being in an "optometry school only" bubble. I like that there are other health professionals around.

Their faculty is amazing... The optometry building is pretty, new, and sleek...

BEST PART: If they really like you, they'll tell you the day of and invite you into their family. They are the only school that made me feel like they needed me just as much as I needed them. They made me feel great :) Make sure to send in your 2ndary materials before you walk in for the interview.

Go check it out for yourselves. You paid so much money to apply there, why would you miss the opportunity to go see it? :luck:

For many reasons! Their program is truly unique, just read their mission statement and core values. Western is all about neuro-rehabilitation (including vision therapy- which is what I want to do), humanism, and uniting multiple health professions. They are extremely ambitious and I have no doubt that they are going to be accredited next year. They took all the great components of the other optometry schools, combined them, and made them BETTER.

When do you see your first patient? 5 WEEKS INTO THE PROGRAM. You already start doing vision screenings for children in the Pomona area. I think that in itself is amazing.

Their equipment is top of the line, hands down, better than I've seen at UCBSO and SCCO (although SCCO's clinic is amazing as well). Lab equipment is awesome. Don't fret, they have the old stuff, too, so that you're knowledgable of both. When you open your practice one day, are you going to buy the new stuff or the old stuff? I don't know about you, but I'm going for the top notch stuff.

I like that every semester, you do a case study with a person from each health profession at the school. Better networking and a more balanced view of the health care profession. . I don't know how I would feel about being in an "optometry school only" bubble. I like that there are other health professionals around.

Their faculty is amazing... The optometry building is pretty, new, and sleek...

BEST PART: If they really like you, they'll tell you the day of and invite you into their family. They are the only school that made me feel like they needed me just as much as I needed them. They made me feel great :) Make sure to send in your 2ndary materials before you walk in for the interview.

Go check it out for yourselves. You paid so much money to apply there, why would you miss the opportunity to go see it? :luck:

Preface: Get ready to have the CONS rained down. They're all inspired by what you wrote, sorry in advance for the offense, but I couldn't hold it in.

1) A number of the things you wrote seem pretty naive, especially about what equipment you're going to purchase when you open a practice. You'll learn how to use whatever equipment you have to.

2) Western really seems to ham up the 'warm-fuzzies' and you aren't the first to say how cool the neuro-rehab angle is. A number of ODs in the forums have already mentioned that 'vision therapy only' is very difficult.

3) Saying they bettered what the other schools already did is QUITE presumptuous. How many classes have graduated already?

4) When you start seeing patients matters about as much as my opinion. You will learn the same skills by the time you graduate from any school otherwise you won't pass the boards. Have you done a vision screening for kids? You can do them now...they stare at a chart and read the letters to you.

5) Of course the new school will make you feel needed. They need butts in their seats and your $ coming in to pay for their sleek and pretty new building.

6) Pomona.

7) If you're a risk taker go take $120k to Vegas, not to pay tution.

Go to SCCO

I'm going to PUCO b/c I want to wear Birkenstocks with my socks on.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to SCCO

HAHA! Awesome! I love and appreciate your input. That's exactly what I need.

Respectfully, here's what I think about what you said:

1) What I will have at my practice is what I will purchase, and I prefer the newest technology over the older. Though I think it's important to be well-versed in both, the techniques are basically the same but newer technologies are easier to use and more visually appealing. Western has both the old and new. It's a matter of preference.

2) I agree that vision therapy "only" is difficult, but Western isn't only vision therapy. Sorry for giving that vibe. I've been working in a vision therapy office for 2 years and strongly believe in its practice, which is why I like Western's direction. But when you're a vision therapist, you integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics, etc... It's never gonna be vision therapy "only".

3) If by "better" you mean how many people they successfully passed on boards, that won't be determined until the end of next year. Weep. But I think their entire curriculum and vision is better than the two schools I've seen.

4) I've done plenty of vision screenings for kids, but Western does HUNDREDS in a semester. And you continue seeing different patients (based on what you've learned) every single semester. The way I see it, the more practice you get, the better you're going to be. Simple as that.

6) :thumbup: Great point. I hate the LA area. PUCO's location sucks just as badly.

Have you checked out the Western program personally? If not, you should. It's not a waste of time.

Still not convinced. Gimme more, people! :)

Last edited:
HAHA! Awesome! I love and appreciate your input. That's exactly what I need.

Respectfully, here's what I think about what you said:

1) What I will have at my practice is what I will purchase, and I prefer the newest technology over the older. Though I think it's important to be well-versed in both, the techniques are basically the same but newer technologies are easier to use and more visually appealing. Western has both the old and new. It's a matter of preference.

2) I agree that vision therapy "only" is difficult, but Western isn't only vision therapy. Sorry for giving that vibe. I've been working in a vision therapy office for 2 years and strongly believe in its practice, which is why I like Western's direction. But when you're a vision therapist, you integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics, etc... It's never gonna be vision therapy "only".

3) If by "better" you mean how many people they successfully passed on boards, that won't be determined until the end of next year. Weep. But I think their entire curriculum and vision is better than the two schools I've seen.

4) I've done plenty of vision screenings for kids, but Western does HUNDREDS in a semester. And you continue seeing different patients (based on what you've learned) every single semester. The way I see it, the more practice you get, the better you're going to be. Simple as that.

6) :thumbup: Great point. I hate the LA area. PUCO's location sucks just as badly.

Have you checked out the Western program personally? If not, you should. It's not a waste of time.

Still not convinced. Gimme more, people! :)

how does puco's location "suck"?

do you plan to do a residency in VT, or do you feel that their curriculum will prepare you to start a VT practice straight out of opt school?

i think cgr is implying that you might not have the funds to buy "all the new stuff" for the vt practice you plan to start straight out of school.

sounds like your decision is already made for western lol. are you just hoping ppl can bash it enough to sway your decision?

good luck in making your decision! have you already been accepted to all the schools you have applied to?

how does puco's location "suck"?

do you plan to do a residency in VT, or do you feel that their curriculum will prepare you to start a VT practice straight out of opt school?

i think cgr is implying that you might not have the funds to buy "all the new stuff" for the vt practice you plan to start straight out of school.

sounds like your decision is already made for western lol. are you just hoping ppl can bash it enough to sway your decision?

good luck in making your decision! have you already been accepted to all the schools you have applied to?

PUCO's in Oregon (enough said for me). And it's 45 mins away from Portland, which I think is probably the best part about Oregon. I've been to Portland once and drove through Oregon on my way to Seattle. However, I'm from Southern California so I'm very biased. Sorry if I offended you!

I want to do a VT residency program, hopefully on the east coast, hopefully with SUNY. That's what I want as of right now, but I do know that things change... Who knows?

Yea, you're right. I'm going to be broke right after this... I'm hoping my future spouse will just give me a million dollars to start my practice. HA! Now THAT's a stretch!

And yes, I want to hear all the dirt I can before I make my decision. I'm still waiting on SUNY, but I got into SCCO and Western. I know that SCCO is better RIGHT NOW, but will that be the case in a few years? Hmm... HELP!

Last edited:
PUCO's in Oregon (enough said for me). And it's 45 mins away from Portland, which I think is probably the best part about Oregon. I've been to Portland once. However, I'm from Southern California so I'm very biased. Sorry if I offended you!

I want to do a VT residency program, hopefully on the east coast, hopefully with SUNY. That's what I want as of right now, but I do know that things change... Who knows?

Yea, you're right. I'm going to be broke right after this... I'm hoping my future spouse will just give me a million dollars to start my practice. HA! Now THAT's a stretch!

And yes, I want to hear all the dirt I can before I make my decision. I know that SCCO is better RIGHT NOW, but will that be the case in a few years? Hmm... HELP!

i guess i will respond to your response in order.

im not offended. i was just curious if you had an actual reason for disliking pacific's location.

do you think going to a school that is focused on vt will benefit you even though you plan on going through a residency program? or maybe it would be better to go to a more well rounded school, then specialize in vt during your residency so when "you're a vision therapist, you integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics, etc... "? just a thought.

wow i hope you are being sarcastic about this one lol.

i think i agree that scco is better than western right now. you are wondering if western will be better in the future.. who knows, maybe. but in four years (the length of your education there), i really really really really really doubt it. how long has it taken scco to establish a reputation? how many schools are there in the country? how many have great reps, how many have so-so ones? if i were deciding between these schools, i guess these are the questions i would look into finding the answers to.

i think i also saw that you feel the networking with other health professions as beneficial. does western network with enough current OPTOMETRY professionals? how is their connections to the community? what are their externships and rotations like? i think these aspects would be more important to me than taking classes with other dental/DO/nursing students..

im not bashing you, or your interest in western. just questions that come to mind when i read your post. gluck

O wow this is hilarius. I do did not go to westerns but they have you sold on a lie. I know many peoples who go there for the many school and all say this class with all the profession is ****ing a waste of time. Westerns seem to be extremily good at selling the school. Please talk to student who go there and tell them to be honest and do not talk just to the class pesident. trust me you will here lots of bad things from people not just in optometry but other subject as well.

With love and God Bless America,
-Gimli, Son of Gloin, Son of Groin, Son of Farin, Son of Borin, Son of Durin

I agree with what has been said. I hate to be debbie downer, but you will not graduate opto school and then go out and buy all new equipment and if you do, then you'll be out of business so quick. I haven't accepted their invite yet, but when looking up rent in the area, it makes me want to say no. The rent is SO expensive. I have a family, so I need a 2 bedroom, and for what I can get a 2br in other places it's outrageous. Maybe I should have researched that aspect a little more before applying. The patient contact so early is great, however, vision screenings are pretty lame when you think about the grand scheme of things. I've done vision screenings for 10 yrs, I'm more looking forward to knocking the classroom time out asap and then spending tons of time in the clinics. I haven't been to SCCO either, but their reputation is through the roof, there is no reason I'd go to WesternU if given the opportunity at SCCO. The only reason I would choose WesternU is if the location of the school was better, which it's not in the case between those two schools since they are so close together.

Cost of living was a huge factor for me. My wife is from the Bay Area and was rooting for Berkley, but I was about to pay an extra $12000k per year for housing.

Location for PUCO hardly sucks, but location is a very subjective thing. I'm from the NW originally and when my decision really came down to Houston, Memphis, or Portland it wasn't that hard (especially after seeing Memphis). Forest Grove is about 30 min by car to downtown Portland and Portland is probably one of the coolest cities there is. I could go on, but I'll spare you.

Just like NC (thanks for beating Duke) said, if given the chance go somewhere with a rep. I had initially sent my OAT scores to Western and UIWSO b/c I was afraid of the OAT, looking for backups, and oblivious to the application system.

First off, congrats on being accepted at both schools! I was accepted by Western also, but waitlisted at SCCO, so forgive me if a tiny part of me wants you to go to Western so I can take your spot. :D

I was trying to make this decision last month also, but it was more along the lines of deciding if I'd be happy at Western, give up on SCCO, and not potentially waste money on a trip to ICO. Like you, I was really impressed by Western, BUT you have to think very carefully about some of the things they said. Like thecgrblue said, they are really trying to sell you on the school, which schools like SCCO and ICO don't need to do. The dean, Dr. Hopi, made a big deal about how Western teaches you to how to deal with special needs children, which she claimed most optometrists don't know how to do. For me, that was really cool. I thought "oh hey, I can use those skills to set up a niche practice!" Then during my tour at ICO, I asked if they dealt with special needs patients, and my student guides said, "Yeah, in the peds department." So, it seems like Western is really good at bringing up cool things about optometry schools in general.

With the new equipment, who's to say SCCO won't run out and buy new stuff next year? Even Western said using the old and new types was pretty much the same, just with a different interface. So how long do you think it'd take you to learn the new equipment? Probably not 4 years.

Eventually I decided that I should give ICO a shot, and I'm glad I did. Unless I get into SCCO in a few months, that's where I'll be going. I really don't like the idea of moving to Chicago, since my boyfriend, all of my family, etc. are in SoCal. The biggest thing that made me choose ICO over Western was the clinic. ICO had about 10 people in the waiting room on a Tuesday morning, while there were no patients at Western's, even though it was a Friday afternoon. ICO has a whole suite of rooms devoted to the different specialities (for example, peds), while Western's pediatric "department" was...... one room.

As for how Western will be in a few years? I don't think anyone can really answer that, but I honestly doubt they will suddenly become a super school that puts everyone else to shame, and other optometrists will be jealous because you went to Western, like my student guide seemed to indicate. More than likely they will become a good school. I didn't decide against Western because I saw anything bad, just that it wasn't as unique as I thought initially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are excellent responses. I'm so thankful that you have all taken the time to input your thoughts! I really appreciate it! :D

do you think going to a school that is focused on vt will benefit you even though you plan on going through a residency program? or maybe it would be better to go to a more well rounded school, then specialize in vt during your residency so when "you're a vision therapist, you integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics, etc... "? just a thought.

i think i also saw that you feel the networking with other health professions as beneficial. does western network with enough current OPTOMETRY professionals? how is their connections to the community? what are their externships and rotations like? i think these aspects would be more important to me than taking classes with other dental/DO/nursing students..

I agree, I think a well-rounded school would be ideal. Western has a good focus on neuro-rehabilitation, but once I looked at their curriculum and how many hours they put into each piece of optometry, I feel that they are capable of providing a well-rounded program. They lay their curriculum out for you on interview day and it seems that they add more hours to a subject than the required amount for their accreditation. They touch on everything. Sorry if I made it sound otherwise!

Hmm... this is purely based on what they said and I can't back this up by any means, but apparently professionals are reaching out to them for future graduates. They are very closely tied to the Pomona school district and surrounding area (it's in a ghetto-ish area to target that patient population). I'm pretty sure they have affiliations with SCCO because they do events together, and after all, some of the faculty were once at SCCO. And what I like about their rotations is that their doing international externships. Going to other parts of the world is important for me so I thought this was appealing. They went to Haiti and Peru for summer health events and I thought that was pretty cool.

The rent is SO expensive.

That's the price you pay to be a Californian! It's that rate around any college area. The cost of living in CA is high for reason- because CA is AWESOME. :)

The biggest thing that made me choose ICO over Western was the clinic. ICO had about 10 people in the waiting room on a Tuesday morning, while there were no patients at Western's, even though it was a Friday afternoon. ICO has a whole suite of rooms devoted to the different specialities (for example, peds), while Western's pediatric "department" was...... one room.

As for how Western will be in a few years? I don't think anyone can really answer that, but I honestly doubt they will suddenly become a super school that puts everyone else to shame, and other optometrists will be jealous because you went to Western, like my student guide seemed to indicate. More than likely they will become a good school. I didn't decide against Western because I saw anything bad, just that it wasn't as unique as I thought initially.

I'm so glad to hear from someone who is in the same shoes as me. You have some great points that I really need to consider, especially that part about the clinic being empty... I hope I get to check out SUNY! I think it's helpful seeing what other schools have to offer.

I hope you get into SCCO! I heard that waitlisters have a really good chance! :luck:

Are there any current optometry students at SCCO or Western willing to share your opinion? :xf:

Last edited:
As was mentioned earlier, I would not spend the money it takes to go to optometry school at a school that is not accredited when I didn't have to. You can say all that you want that it may be great in a few years, but that's not the rep is has right now especially if you want to do a residency, much less one at SUNY. Being a risk taker is fine, but I wouldn't risk something as important as my education. I also agree with what is said above- that the reason they are so warm and fuzzy is because they are trying to fill seats. I interviewed at UIWSO as a back-up option in case I couldn't get in anywhere else, and let me tell you, they were the warmest, fuzziest school I interviewed at. I appreciated their effort, but at the end of the day, there is no way I would have gone there because I had other options. Just because they were able to make you feel special at the interview, doesn't mean that you should ignore all of the cons. I just don't understand voluntarily going to an unaccredited school when there are other options on the table.

You can say all that you want that it may be great in a few years, but that's not the rep is has right now especially if you want to do a residency, much less one at SUNY. Being a risk taker is fine, but I wouldn't risk something as important as my education. Just because they were able to make you feel special at the interview, doesn't mean that you should ignore all of the cons. I just don't understand voluntarily going to an unaccredited school when there are other options on the table.

Take a step back and please try not to sound so condescending. You sound offended that I'm backing up Western. I'm asking all these questions and refuting arguments simply because I want to and because I can. I'm trying to organize these thoughts in my head and it's not easy picking a school, at least not for me since I was equally impressed by two. I'm not ignoring the cons, I want to hear them all! In the end, I'll make the right decision soon enough :cool:. Thanks for your input.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: What makes SCCO the greater school other than the fact that they are accredited? So far I have...
1) they give $200,000 in scholarships to students
2) they've been around since 1904 so they know what they're doing
3) their clinic is amazing

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Take a step back and please try not to sound so condescending. You sound offended that I'm backing up Western. I'm asking all these questions and refuting arguments simply because I want to and because I can. I'm trying to organize these thoughts in my head and it's not easy picking a school, at least not for me since I was equally impressed by two. I'm not ignoring the cons, I want to hear them all! In the end, I'll make the right decision soon enough :cool:. Thanks for your input.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: What makes SCCO the greater school other than the fact that they are accredited? So far I have...

Thanks again everyone!

#1 isn't that big a deal and #3 is important as well, but #2 is the main point here.

I'm a student at SCCO and I also think it's all about clinic.

I believe I'm getting a fantastic clinical education at SCCO in terms of variety and patient count. Here's a list of my last 10 patients in order from not interesting to awesome experience. For brevity's sake, I will list only the interesting parts or things that were causing problems.

(less complex)
1) Primary Care - Healthy teenager but barely understood English.
2) Contact Lens - Contact lens abuser w/ too many corneal scars for my comfort. But otherwise straightforward.
3) Primary Care - Foreign body suspect with scar from previous metal injury that rusted in eye. No foreign body, but another source of eye pain found.
4) Primary Care - Eyes so dry that artifical tear eyedrops improved vision by 3 lines. Minimally managing diabetes and hypertension
5) Primary Care - Systemic disease so bad they lost 50 pounds the last few months.
6) Contact Lens - Ortho-K patient (like braces for eyes), trying to improve poor results.
7) Vision Therapy - Kid with daily dehabilitating headaches. Difficulty with focusing properly and bringing eyes together.
8) Vision Therapy - Kid with almost constant big eyeturn. Amblyopia (vision loss with otherwise healthy eye). Suppression. No 3-D vision.
9) Primary Care - Corneal dystrophy, retinal degeneration, cataracts, dry eyes, macular mottling, dense floaters obstructing vision.
10) Contact Lens - Eye turn that alternates between left and right, post LASIK, post Radial keratotomy, post Astigmatic keratotomy, contact wear modality where one eye looks at things up close and the other looks at things far away with torics, glaucoma with visual field loss.
(more complex)

Doesn't that sound fun?

Also, SCCO's 4th year class recently had a 100% pass rate on Board Part 2, which focuses on clinical stuff. Coincidence? I think not!

Also, check out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=727013.

Good luck with whatever school you go to, but honestly, I'd love to see you come here.

Thanks again everyone!

I also agree that #2 is very important. #3 is true and is a big factor for most people, but you also have to look at their clinical program. Their 4th year clinical outreach program is arguably one of the best. They have many more options (also some abroad) which allows you to pick what interests you.

I don't think they will have a problem getting accredited, but you do need to consider what happens if they don't. The 3 new schools are all in the same boat. Typically, applicants are using them as back-ups because they aren't well established. There is no evidence of what comes out. No stats on board passing rates and no established number of patient encounters. Those are both important things to know. I don't know the board passing rates for SCCO (you can definitely find them), but I believe, on average, a student sees ~1800 patients in their 4 years (vision screenings don't count). Does Western have an established clinic with a high volume of patients? because that will help determine the number of patient encounters. I think at this point, the new schools can really only estimate how many patients you might see. And will these be 1:1 encounters?

Also, where do you see yourself fitting in better? Is it more a competitive environment or do the students work together?

Honestly though, if given a choice between Western and SCCO, I would definitely go with SCCO, but I'm sure you have more things to consider.

Anyways, congrats on the acceptance to both and good luck with your decision.

I know you said that you were interested in integrating vision therapy into your practice later on down the line. Western does emphasize vision therapy, but did SCCO happen to mention vision therapy at all while you were there for the interview or anywhere on their website? Maybe SCCO will have just as much of a focus on vision therapy as Western does. I'm just throwing ideas out there for you to think about, since i haven't personally been to these schools before. Hope it helped just a little. And congrats on your acceptances!

Go to the cheapest school, einstein.

I'm a student at SCCO and I also think it's all about clinic.

(less complex)
1) Primary Care - Healthy teenager but barely understood English.
2) Contact Lens - Contact lens abuser w/ too many corneal scars for my comfort. But otherwise straightforward.
3) Primary Care - Foreign body suspect with scar from previous metal injury that rusted in eye. No foreign body, but another source of eye pain found.
4) Primary Care - Eyes so dry that artifical tear eyedrops improved vision by 3 lines. Minimally managing diabetes and hypertension
5) Primary Care - Systemic disease so bad they lost 50 pounds the last few months.
6) Contact Lens - Ortho-K patient (like braces for eyes), trying to improve poor results.
7) Vision Therapy - Kid with daily dehabilitating headaches. Difficulty with focusing properly and bringing eyes together.
8) Vision Therapy - Kid with almost constant big eyeturn. Amblyopia (vision loss with otherwise healthy eye). Suppression. No 3-D vision.
9) Primary Care - Corneal dystrophy, retinal degeneration, cataracts, dry eyes, macular mottling, dense floaters obstructing vision.
10) Contact Lens - Eye turn that alternates between left and right, post LASIK, post Radial keratotomy, post Astigmatic keratotomy, contact wear modality where one eye looks at things up close and the other looks at things far away with torics, glaucoma with visual field loss.
(more complex)

WOW. Your response made my heart drop. That sounds EXCELLENT. I'm so happy to hear from an SCCO'er. Thanks for sharing your experiences. And 100% on boards?!?! WOW. This was definitely a decision-swaying response! :D

If you don't mind, may I ask you few questions?
1) How much time does your curriculum spend on vision therapy and neuro-rehabilitation? I know that vision therapy is huge at SCCO, also. Did you enjoy what you learned?
2) How do you like being in an optometry-only school?
3) How many weeks off do you get for your 2nd year summer? Random question, but I'm curious.

Thank you!

Does Western have an established clinic with a high volume of patients? because that will help determine the number of patient encounters. I think at this point, the new schools can really only estimate how many patients you might see. And will these be 1:1 encounters?

Also, where do you see yourself fitting in better? Is it more a competitive environment or do the students work together?

This is one thing that worries me about Western now: how many patients will I see in the clinic? The clinic is quite small, but it does look nice. But on a Friday during interview day, I don't remember seeing many patients at all... I know that there are events in which students are able to see patients, but clinical exposure is extremely important and is something that I will factor into my decision. I think students will work together closely at every school. Hmmm... there is much to think about now as to where I see myself fitting best! Thanks for your points :)

I know you said that you were interested in integrating vision therapy into your practice later on down the line. Western does emphasize vision therapy, but did SCCO happen to mention vision therapy at all while you were there for the interview or anywhere on their website? Maybe SCCO will have just as much of a focus on vision therapy as Western does. I'm just throwing ideas out there for you to think about, since i haven't personally been to these schools before. Hope it helped just a little. And congrats on your acceptances!

You're right. SCCO, from what I've heard, has an excellent focus on vision therapy. Can anyone attest for that? I remember for their admissions workshop, they had mentioned vision therapy, too. Thanks for bringing that up, I almost neglected that fact!

Go to the cheapest school, einstein.

HA! They're about the same actually. :thumbup:

Congrats on getting in to both schools. I myself am in the same situation as you. It's a much more difficult decision than some have put it, but as you will learn all too well that in this profession, perception is very subjective.

Here are a few advices that were mentioned to me to consider while I try to decide. Maybe they will be useful to you (or maybe confuse you even more).

It doesn't matter which school you go to, as long as you get your license to come out and practice. (I don't agree with this, but I don't think it's untrue). Between these two, I don't think you can go wrong in terms of the training you will get. The faculty at western have done teaching before at other optometry schools, so they do know what they are doing. It's true that Western is still a young program where SCCO has been around forever. This also means they have more to lose if their students aren't well trained and they will do everything they can and then some to make sure the students succeed and pass all boards. Some might argue that being around for so long, SCCO might just be on auto-pilot now (sorry if I offend any SCCO students).

Another poster mentioned patients in each school's clinics. While I was at the schools for my interview, western had 3 patients being helped and SCCO had 2. I was only in each clinic no more than 5-10min so it's hard to make a judgment about that. Western's clinic barely opened last year, so maybe not many know about it yet. They can only go up from here. I do agree that a steady flow of patients in the clinics is important. You can no doubt get great experience with SCCO's 4th year rotations as they have an amazing program with their outreach program (spending 3 months in Hawaii for a rotation doesn't sound too bad). Western, from what I understand, is still in the process of obtaining rotation sites, but that's not to say they won't get great ones (I heard they've secured a site in Spain).

In terms of looking for a job right out of school, if you haven't already begun your networking, SCCO's alumni can be helpful. But if you're as lucky as me (already have a job lined up for when I graduate at a group practice) maybe it won't be necessary. An optometrist friend of mine is in the process of hiring doctors for her practice. She could care less which school the dr graduated from, because she knows that if the dr graduated and passed the boards, they will have the technical skills. She is looking more for someone who has the communication skills to better serve her patients' needs. With that said, she's had to let go of a few doctors whose graduated from schools as good as Berkeley and SCCO. An individual and their skills will trump which school they graduate from.

In the end, you should go where you feel you will fit in the best. Maybe warm and fuzzy is what works for you. When I was at western, the students seemed to be excited and friendly and greeted us even though they were having exams that day. At SCCO, it seemed odd to me, but a lot of the students gave me the impression like "don't bother me, I have to study", which I from what I hear, isn't true about SCCO's students. maybe it was an off day and they were overly stressed.

had more to add, but i forgot what i was gonna say.. i was starting to ramble anyways..

congrats again and good luck

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter which school you go to, as long as you get your license to come out and practice. (I don’t agree with this, but I don’t think it’s untrue). Some might argue that being around for so long, SCCO might just be on auto-pilot now (sorry if I offend any SCCO students).

You can no doubt get great experience with SCCO’s 4th year rotations as they have an amazing program with their outreach program (spending 3 months in Hawaii for a rotation doesn’t sound too bad). Western, from what I understand, is still in the process of obtaining rotation sites, but that’s not to say they won’t get great ones (I heard they’ve secured a site in Spain).

An individual and their skills will trump which school they graduate from.

In the end, you should go where you feel you will fit in the best.

had more to add, but i forgot what i was gonna say.. i was starting to ramble anyways..

congrats again and good luck

Thank you for that. I really value this perspective. I've been swaying back and forth in my head for so long already! I'm waiting to see if a friend gets into the PA program at Western, so if he does, I think I will be choosing Western. Since Western gave us only a two week block to reserve a seat, I'm thinking about putting up the deposit to buy more time to decide. But I can't block out of my head the whole clinic and accreditation thing. I KNOW it's going to be accredited, but will I see a good variety of patients in clinic?

Another thing to consider is that I am aiming to become a student officer of my class, namely VP or president. I know the same positions are available at both schools, but kinda feel it would be much more competitive getting that position at SCCO. Does anyone think this may be true? I've done the whole student government thing in the past, but have no idea how it is in optometry school.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you choose or leaning towards? (Not that I will choose the same, but I'm curious). Also, if you end up remembering what else you were going to say, I'd appreciate hearing it :oops:. I like the way you think. Cheers and congratulations to you, too!

Just out of curiosity, how much are the deposits for SCCO and Western? Thanks!

I will say what everyone is afraid to say. SCCO is a better school than Western.

You want to go to Western because your friend might go there, or your interviewers were nice, or because you think you have a better shot at being a class officer because their students are lacking leadership skills? That's weak.

I can, and will, dismantle every single pro that has been said for Western. This will be fun.

Nice admissions staff.

They are a new school and desperately NEED good students. In fact, they're begging for them. They're hoping you are so blinded by how nice they are, you won’t see all the ways their program SUCKS.
Don't be fooled by their song and dance-- Their program is weak.

Curriculum is laid out and looks impressive.

Of course they lay it out and talk a good game. They WANT things to look as legit as possible because THEY STILL ARE MAKING UP STUFF AS THEY GO. The fact is they haven't taught a single third year class or had a single student go on a rotation. Still impressed?

New equipment

You seriously think you'll be using brand new super-deluxe stuff when you graduate? PLEASE. You need to learn how to use equipment that is normal for the industry. Anybody who thinks their optometry office will look like Western's facilities is deluded. Does it make you feel better knowing that they have old stuff too you can work on? Which do you think Western students like working on: new whiz-bang stuff or older stuff? Don't be naive. You'll be spoiled by the new stuff and then will look like a fool when you start working with other optometrists because you can't handle the older stuff they have in their offices.

Western Graduate: "Sorry, Dr Optometro. I didn't see the corneal ulcer because the optics of this slit lamp aren't very good. The ones at Western are sweeeeet.."
Doctor: **SLAP** You suck. You are fired.

And when you graduate, do you assume that you will start a new practice COLD, building it COMPLETELY NEW from the ground up. That is CRAZY. You will likely be working for a corporation, another optometrist, or buy an established practice. Ask around. VERY FEW PEOPLE start up practices completely cold because they can't afford it. It would be a foolish decision to buy cutting/bleeding edge equipment, too, because you can do the same stuff with cheaper equipment. Sorry to crush your dreams of going on a $500k shopping spree for new optometry equipment when you graduate. But it had to be crushed.

Unique program, mission statement, core values, very ambitious program

All BS. Every school is trying to provide a great optometric program. Every school program is unique.

If they really like you, they ask you to join on the spot

If you base your optometry school decision on this, then you are a fool.

Neuro-rehabilitation/VT program focus

First, all the local optometrists who find a complex neuro-rehab pt will refer them to SCCO, NOT WESTERN. They trust SCCO's clinic more, likely graduated from SCCO, and it's only 20 mins down the street. So good luck getting a good clinical experience. All the interesting pts are driving down the street to SCCO.

Also, your education about neuro-rehabilitation/vt stuff will be better at SCCO. You want to be taught by a new faculty member who just typed up his powerpoint slides the night before? Or do you want to learn in a program that has DECADES of experience in providing an outstanding VT/neuro-rehab clinical education by professors who are leaders in their field using materials that have consistently had good results?

Humanism focus

Complete BS and irrelevent. Does Western even have ACTIVE student organizations like VOSH? How many trips have they organized? How active are they? Word on the street is that their administration actively discourages students from doing extracurricular activities because they want them to focus ONLY on boards. So sad. Such a one-sided education.

Between these two, I don’t think you can go wrong in terms of the training you will get.

Wrong. Optometry school is not like undergrad. Everything is connected and builds on each other. You have to teach things in the right order to make sure students have the basic knowledge to understand the complicated stuff. Also, some topics could be taught in different classes. For example, do you teach contact lens induced pathologies in a contact lens course or ocular disease? That takes a lot of coordination and trial and error. Western is a new program that hasn't had time to work the kinks out.

And SCCO is well known for being a top clinical program. What is Western known for? They are known for taking bottom of the barrel applicants. Clearly, the training from SCCO is superior to Western.

Uniting multiple health professions focus / balanced view of health care profession / case studies

A waste of time. Even Western students say so. What will help you learn how to work with other health professions, A useless class where different disciplines get together and work on mini-project fluff? Or a rotation at a major VA hospital. SCCO has one of the largest rotation programs in the country. You can work at hospitals, eye disease clinics, VT only practices, low vision specialty centers, you name it. Where do Western students go for rotation? Oh, it's not set up yet.

Networking with other health care professionals and optometrists

The best way to do this is to work with them, like at a hospital, which you can do at SCCO. If you go to Western, you'll be able to say, "I have a friend who is a nurse! We took a class together!" You think this is going to open up tons of opportunities for you? PLEASE. If Western students spend THAT MUCH TIME with other disciplines, something is wrong with their program because there's too much stuff that is SPECIFIC to optometry to teach.

Also, not a SINGLE optometrist has graduated from Western, but a ton have graduated from other schools. No optometrist is impressed when you say you are a Western optometry student. There is no credibility with the program and the best a potential employer can do is LOOK PAST THE FACT that you went to Western. You want every single employer to think that of you when you are asking for a job?

You will meet more optometrists at SCCO. They will assume you are competent and had a great clinical skills. That will help your future much more.

They took all the best from other schools, combined them, and made them better

Are you on crack? Complete marketing BS. This is a lie.

New University Dean: "We are the best because we looked at all the existing universities and took all the good stuff from them and make them better."
Harvard Dean: **SLAP** Say rubbish like that and I'll slap you again.

I think their entire curriculum and vision is better than the two schools I've seen.

The better curriculum will produce better doctors. I ask ALL optometrists who are reading this: If you had a choice to hire a Western grad or SCCO grad and their interview, resume, and salary were pretty much similar, which one would you hire? SCCO wins every time. (Unless the optometrist has a vested interest in helping Western)

Western university is like Puerto Rico-- Even if you are awesome, doctors assume you had no choice but to go there and are a bottom of the barrel student.

The dean said that you'll get to work with special needs pts at Western

You can do that at SCCO. And will do it more often. How many Western students have seen these patients? ANYONE? ANYONE? I have at SCCO. These patients are usually seen by residents or faculty members because of their increased difficulty. You can work with the residents/faculty members to see them if you want.

If you had an autistic kid, where would you send them to? Western with its QUESTIONABLE clinical program? Or SCCO who is the local authority on vision care for special needs kids? Western, which accepts anybody and their mother? Or your likely alma mater, SCCO? This is why your clinical experience will be POOR at Western.

Extensive screening program / see first patient after 5 weeks

Screening is NOTHING. It's not doctoring. It's not complex decision making. It's asking someone to read a line and then writing it down. If you want to screen, you can do it TODAY by volunteering at a number of places. After 5 weeks, do you think you are really meeting your first patient? *BULL* You are watching another doctor do an exam, or you are screening.

Applicant: "I've already seen hundreds of patients."
Admissions team: "Really? How?"
Applicant: "I did vision screenings at the YMCA every weekend last year. HUNDREDS of them."
(awkward pause)
Admissions team: **SLAP** "That doesn't count. You're an idiot."

Furthermore, other schools get students in the clinic first year as well, but they don't advertise it. It's hilarious how Western makes this a selling point. That's how desperate they are.

You integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics

How many of these patients do you think you'll see at Western? How many of them will not be ho-hum boring patients that you don't learn from? Word on the street is that Western students are mostly WORKING ON EACH OTHER. (All healthy myopic 25 year olds) You will see many more patients at SCCO. And they'll be the hard ones that will push you to excellence. Again, SCCO's clinical program is SO MUCH BETTER than Western's.

I hate the LA area. Western's location is better.

Western's neighborhood is a crime ridden hole with no culture. Anybody who wants to live there is crazy. Look around, it's ghetto there. You said the Pomona school district and surrounding area is ghetto. What city is Western in? Pomona!

Yeah, you can drive to Disneyland or the beach from Western. You can do that to at SCCO but you'll get there 20 minutes faster. And you can probably get to LA faster from Western, but you hate LA, right?

And by the way, SCCO is not in LA. It’s in the OC.

Western is getting better fast and will one day be better than SCCO

Another lie. What propaganda machine makes this up? That's a lot of talk with no substance. Western is behind in all aspects of the game when it comes to optometric education. (except equipment) As Western improves and makes changes, SCCO does the same. So don't plan on catching up anytime soon. Furthermore, your clinical education happens in the next 4 years. Which program do you want to go to?

Professionals are reaching out to Western graduates

More than SCCO graduates? PLEASE. Professionals want to hire the best optometrist they can, and you will be a better optometrist coming from SCCO because of their superior academic resources and clinical experience. The only people who don't care about this are companies that want to pay you minimally and work you to the ground.

They're doing international externships!

Wow! Western is so awesome! Wait, other schools are doing that too, including SCCO. Oh, wait, SCCO's rotation program is one of the best in the country? How does Western's compare? They don't have ANYTHING solid yet.

An optometrist friend of mine is in the process of hiring doctors for her practice. She could care less which school the dr graduated from

I’ve have MANY doctors tell me that they would NEVER hire a Western graduate because they don’t trust the program. The general sentiment is that all of Western's talk of neuro-rehabilitation is BULL because there isn't a market for neuro-rehab specialized optometrists to get jobs in. Many doctors are pissed because they see Western as a pipeline to provide Walmarts and Lenscrafter with cheap labor.

Of course, they will deny this in front of Western students. Do you want doctors to secretly have these prejudices against you when you start looking for jobs?

Cons

Accreditation

This is just another unnecessary risk. What happens if suddenly they can't get accredited? You are SCREWED. Even if there is only a 5% chance this will happen, it could. Also, accreditation does not equal quality.

Cost

Western is more expensive, especially when you consider SCCO's scholarships. You will pay more at Western for an inferior education.

Employment b/c of poor alumni base

This is a big deal. Western Optometry has ZERO graduates. Most optometrists will trust the program they came from. How many optometrists in CA that graduated from Berkeley, SCCO or another school will hire a Western student over a grad from their school? VERY FEW. (Unless they can pay them a lot less.) Don't delude yourself.

The first thing doctors want in a hire is someone who they trust is COMPETENT. SCCO's clinical reputation is awesome. Western hasn't graduated a single student, which means nobody knows about the quality of their clinical program. All signs point to Western's clinical program being PISS POOR because all the complicated referrals are going down the street to SCCO. So Western students don't get to see them.

And for all the people who are saying that personality goes a long way, that's only telling one side of the story. Personality goes a long way ASSUMING that the candidates are similar in other ways. Doctors will not hire incompetent people no matter how charming they are. If you graduate from Western, you will almost certainly be a company drone for Lenscrafters or Wallmart.

Clinial quality b/c of poor alumni base and reputation of clinic

What school did most optometrists in the area from graduate from? SCCO. So what school will they refer their difficult/complex patients to? SCCO. If you had a complex/difficult patient and had the choice of referring them to a well established school known for the quality of their clinical program OR a new school that is doing everything for the first time, where would you send your patient to? SCCO. 99% of optometrists won't risk losing their patient by sending them to an inferior clinic. Especially when a better one is 20 minutes down the street.

Clinical quality because of patient count

SCCO's clinic is busy. You will see MANY more patients at SCCO.

One person only saw 3 people in SCCO's waiting room? Did they get a tour of the clinic? The different WINGS of each department? SCCO has 40+ exam rooms with tons of specialized equipment. You think we only had 3 people in the clinic? PLEASE.

SCCO tries to schedule patients to arrive at about the same time. So if you come at 8:00, you'll see a full waiting room. If you come at 8:20, you may see a straggler or two filling out forms because they were late to their 8:00 appointment. I WISH Western would publish how many patients go through their clinic. But they won’t, because that will make their school look WEAK.

If you go to Western, all of your exams will be team efforts where you have multiple people in the exam room. That sounds nice if you're not confident in your skills, but not doing full exams on your own will hurt you in the long run.

Academic Reputation

Again, going to Western is like going to Puerto Rico. People will think you went to an inferior program because you couldn't get into a better one. Do you want to have that reputation when you are starting your career? Look at this objectively: Even here, people are laughing at you because you seem to prefer Western over SCCO. Some people think you are joking. Not a single person here supports going to Western over SCCO.

Student Life/Leadership

SCCO has a very active student body that does lots of stuff. Their clubs are established, have traditions, and know how to do things. And there are a lot of clubs, so if you want to be a leader, you can. How about Western? How active are they?

Also, don't assume that Western and SCCO students or faculty members are working together. They came to a sports tournament once. I've never seen a single Western student since.

Wannabe Rapper: "Yeah, me an Snoop Dogg hang out all the time. We listen to records and rap together.
Snoop Dogg: **SLAP** YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

What’s the final word? EVERYTHING Western says is so great about their program is questionable. They've fooled tons of people. But I expose them now, here.

Don't be fooled. Listen to everybody here. You will be a better doctor if you go to SCCO. You miss your friend? Drive 20 minutes and visit them. You want to be a leader? Join one of the MANY clubs we have at SCCO.

Your want to be a big fish in a small pond? Well, go to Western.

That was pretty entertaining.

I loved the *SLAP*. Even my wife laughed and she doesn't get most of the optometry stuff.

lol.. wow.

this thread forced that person to create an account, pretty impressive. i got my popcorn ready, cant wait to what is coming next :)

I will say what everyone is afraid to say. SCCO is a better school than Western.

Pretty harsh, but he is right. No one wanted to say what he did because they don't want to offend any Western students. Western students probably won't admit to it, but I think 99% of them didn't choose to go there. That's what they were stuck with. This is probably the case with all the new schools. I remember volunteering at an event with the Midwestern students back in September. I asked a lot of them why they decided to go to Midwestern and they all seemed hesitant to answer, but eventually named off a few bad reasons (i.e. oh the campus is nice and everything is new). One said because it was closer to home, which I can understand, but in the case of SCCO vs. Western, that reason doesn't really apply.

Do you have anything on SCCO vs. UCB?? Because I am dying trying to decide.

You want to go to Western because your friend might go there, or your interviewers were nice, or because you think you have a better shot at being a class officer because their students are lacking leadership skills? That's weak.

I can, and will, dismantle every single pro that has been said for Western. This will be fun.

Nice admissions staff.

They are a new school and desperately NEED good students. In fact, they're begging for them. They're hoping you are so blinded by how nice they are, you won't see all the ways their program SUCKS.
Don't be fooled by their song and dance-- Their program is weak.

Curriculum is laid out and looks impressive.

Of course they lay it out and talk a good game. They WANT things to look as legit as possible because THEY STILL ARE MAKING UP STUFF AS THEY GO. The fact is they haven't taught a single third year class or had a single student go on a rotation. Still impressed?

New equipment

You seriously think you'll be using brand new super-deluxe stuff when you graduate? PLEASE. You need to learn how to use equipment that is normal for the industry. Anybody who thinks their optometry office will look like Western's facilities is deluded. Does it make you feel better knowing that they have old stuff too you can work on? Which do you think Western students like working on: new whiz-bang stuff or older stuff? Don't be naive. You'll be spoiled by the new stuff and then will look like a fool when you start working with other optometrists because you can't handle the older stuff they have in their offices.

Western Graduate: "Sorry, Dr Optometro. I didn't see the corneal ulcer because the optics of this slit lamp aren't very good. The ones at Western are sweeeeet.."
Doctor: **SLAP** You suck. You are fired.

And when you graduate, do you assume that you will start a new practice COLD, building it COMPLETELY NEW from the ground up. That is CRAZY. You will likely be working for a corporation, another optometrist, or buy an established practice. Ask around. VERY FEW PEOPLE start up practices completely cold because they can't afford it. It would be a foolish decision to buy cutting/bleeding edge equipment, too, because you can do the same stuff with cheaper equipment. Sorry to crush your dreams of going on a $500k shopping spree for new optometry equipment when you graduate. But it had to be crushed.

Unique program, mission statement, core values, very ambitious program

All BS. Every school is trying to provide a great optometric program. Every school program is unique.

If they really like you, they ask you to join on the spot

If you base your optometry school decision on this, then you are a fool.

Neuro-rehabilitation/VT program focus

First, all the local optometrists who find a complex neuro-rehab pt will refer them to SCCO, NOT WESTERN. They trust SCCO's clinic more, likely graduated from SCCO, and it's only 20 mins down the street. So good luck getting a good clinical experience. All the interesting pts are driving down the street to SCCO.

Also, your education about neuro-rehabilitation/vt stuff will be better at SCCO. You want to be taught by a new faculty member who just typed up his powerpoint slides the night before? Or do you want to learn in a program that has DECADES of experience in providing an outstanding VT/neuro-rehab clinical education by professors who are leaders in their field using materials that have consistently had good results?

Humanism focus

Complete BS and irrelevent. Does Western even have ACTIVE student organizations like VOSH? How many trips have they organized? How active are they? Word on the street is that their administration actively discourages students from doing extracurricular activities because they want them to focus ONLY on boards. So sad. Such a one-sided education.

Between these two, I don't think you can go wrong in terms of the training you will get.

Wrong. Optometry school is not like undergrad. Everything is connected and builds on each other. You have to teach things in the right order to make sure students have the basic knowledge to understand the complicated stuff. Also, some topics could be taught in different classes. For example, do you teach contact lens induced pathologies in a contact lens course or ocular disease? That takes a lot of coordination and trial and error. Western is a new program that hasn't had time to work the kinks out.

And SCCO is well known for being a top clinical program. What is Western known for? They are known for taking bottom of the barrel applicants. Clearly, the training from SCCO is superior to Western.

Uniting multiple health professions focus / balanced view of health care profession / case studies

A waste of time. Even Western students say so. What will help you learn how to work with other health professions, A useless class where different disciplines get together and work on mini-project fluff? Or a rotation at a major VA hospital. SCCO has one of the largest rotation programs in the country. You can work at hospitals, eye disease clinics, VT only practices, low vision specialty centers, you name it. Where do Western students go for rotation? Oh, it's not set up yet.

Networking with other health care professionals and optometrists

The best way to do this is to work with them, like at a hospital, which you can do at SCCO. If you go to Western, you'll be able to say, "I have a friend who is a nurse! We took a class together!" You think this is going to open up tons of opportunities for you? PLEASE. If Western students spend THAT MUCH TIME with other disciplines, something is wrong with their program because there's too much stuff that is SPECIFIC to optometry to teach.

Also, not a SINGLE optometrist has graduated from Western, but a ton have graduated from other schools. No optometrist is impressed when you say you are a Western optometry student. There is no credibility with the program and the best a potential employer can do is LOOK PAST THE FACT that you went to Western. You want every single employer to think that of you when you are asking for a job?

You will meet more optometrists at SCCO. They will assume you are competent and had a great clinical skills. That will help your future much more.

They took all the best from other schools, combined them, and made them better

Are you on crack? Complete marketing BS. This is a lie.

New University Dean: "We are the best because we looked at all the existing universities and took all the good stuff from them and make them better."
Harvard Dean: **SLAP** Say rubbish like that and I'll slap you again.

I think their entire curriculum and vision is better than the two schools I've seen.

The better curriculum will produce better doctors. I ask ALL optometrists who are reading this: If you had a choice to hire a Western grad or SCCO grad and their interview, resume, and salary were pretty much similar, which one would you hire? SCCO wins every time. (Unless the optometrist has a vested interest in helping Western)

Western university is like Puerto Rico-- Even if you are awesome, doctors assume you had no choice but to go there and are a bottom of the barrel student.

The dean said that you'll get to work with special needs pts at Western

You can do that at SCCO. And will do it more often. How many Western students have seen these patients? ANYONE? ANYONE? I have at SCCO. These patients are usually seen by residents or faculty members because of their increased difficulty. You can work with the residents/faculty members to see them if you want.

If you had an autistic kid, where would you send them to? Western with its QUESTIONABLE clinical program? Or SCCO who is the local authority on vision care for special needs kids? Western, which accepts anybody and their mother? Or your likely alma mater, SCCO? This is why your clinical experience will be POOR at Western.

Extensive screening program / see first patient after 5 weeks

Screening is NOTHING. It's not doctoring. It's not complex decision making. It's asking someone to read a line and then writing it down. If you want to screen, you can do it TODAY by volunteering at a number of places. After 5 weeks, do you think you are really meeting your first patient? *BULL* You are watching another doctor do an exam, or you are screening.

Applicant: "I've already seen hundreds of patients."
Admissions team: "Really? How?"
Applicant: "I did vision screenings at the YMCA every weekend last year. HUNDREDS of them."
(awkward pause)
Admissions team: **SLAP** "That doesn't count. You're an idiot."

Furthermore, other schools get students in the clinic first year as well, but they don't advertise it. It's hilarious how Western makes this a selling point. That's how desperate they are.

You integrate EVERYTHING you learned from optometry school into your practice: low vision, eye exams, pediatrics

How many of these patients do you think you'll see at Western? How many of them will not be ho-hum boring patients that you don't learn from? Word on the street is that Western students are mostly WORKING ON EACH OTHER. (All healthy myopic 25 year olds) You will see many more patients at SCCO. And they'll be the hard ones that will push you to excellence. Again, SCCO's clinical program is SO MUCH BETTER than Western's.

I hate the LA area. Western's location is better.

Western's neighborhood is a crime ridden hole with no culture. Anybody who wants to live there is crazy. Look around, it's ghetto there. You said the Pomona school district and surrounding area is ghetto. What city is Western in? Pomona!

Yeah, you can drive to Disneyland or the beach from Western. You can do that to at SCCO but you'll get there 20 minutes faster. And you can probably get to LA faster from Western, but you hate LA, right?

And by the way, SCCO is not in LA. It's in the OC.

Western is getting better fast and will one day be better than SCCO

Another lie. What propaganda machine makes this up? That's a lot of talk with no substance. Western is behind in all aspects of the game when it comes to optometric education. (except equipment) As Western improves and makes changes, SCCO does the same. So don't plan on catching up anytime soon. Furthermore, your clinical education happens in the next 4 years. Which program do you want to go to?

Professionals are reaching out to Western graduates

More than SCCO graduates? PLEASE. Professionals want to hire the best optometrist they can, and you will be a better optometrist coming from SCCO because of their superior academic resources and clinical experience. The only people who don't care about this are companies that want to pay you minimally and work you to the ground.

They're doing international externships!

Wow! Western is so awesome! Wait, other schools are doing that too, including SCCO. Oh, wait, SCCO's rotation program is one of the best in the country? How does Western's compare? They don't have ANYTHING solid yet.

An optometrist friend of mine is in the process of hiring doctors for her practice. She could care less which school the dr graduated from

I've have MANY doctors tell me that they would NEVER hire a Western graduate because they don't trust the program. The general sentiment is that all of Western's talk of neuro-rehabilitation is BULL because there isn't a market for neuro-rehab specialized optometrists to get jobs in. Many doctors are pissed because they see Western as a pipeline to provide Walmarts and Lenscrafter with cheap labor.

Of course, they will deny this in front of Western students. Do you want doctors to secretly have these prejudices against you when you start looking for jobs?

Cons

Accreditation

This is just another unnecessary risk. What happens if suddenly they can't get accredited? You are SCREWED. Even if there is only a 5% chance this will happen, it could. Also, accreditation does not equal quality.

Cost

Western is more expensive, especially when you consider SCCO's scholarships. You will pay more at Western for an inferior education.

Employment b/c of poor alumni base

This is a big deal. Western Optometry has ZERO graduates. Most optometrists will trust the program they came from. How many optometrists in CA that graduated from Berkeley, SCCO or another school will hire a Western student over a grad from their school? VERY FEW. (Unless they can pay them a lot less.) Don't delude yourself.

The first thing doctors want in a hire is someone who they trust is COMPETENT. SCCO's clinical reputation is awesome. Western hasn't graduated a single student, which means nobody knows about the quality of their clinical program. All signs point to Western's clinical program being PISS POOR because all the complicated referrals are going down the street to SCCO. So Western students don't get to see them.

And for all the people who are saying that personality goes a long way, that's only telling one side of the story. Personality goes a long way ASSUMING that the candidates are similar in other ways. Doctors will not hire incompetent people no matter how charming they are. If you graduate from Western, you will almost certainly be a company drone for Lenscrafters or Wallmart.

Clinial quality b/c of poor alumni base and reputation of clinic

What school did most optometrists in the area from graduate from? SCCO. So what school will they refer their difficult/complex patients to? SCCO. If you had a complex/difficult patient and had the choice of referring them to a well established school known for the quality of their clinical program OR a new school that is doing everything for the first time, where would you send your patient to? SCCO. 99% of optometrists won't risk losing their patient by sending them to an inferior clinic. Especially when a better one is 20 minutes down the street.

Clinical quality because of patient count

SCCO's clinic is busy. You will see MANY more patients at SCCO.

One person only saw 3 people in SCCO's waiting room? Did they get a tour of the clinic? The different WINGS of each department? SCCO has 40+ exam rooms with tons of specialized equipment. You think we only had 3 people in the clinic? PLEASE.

SCCO tries to schedule patients to arrive at about the same time. So if you come at 8:00, you'll see a full waiting room. If you come at 8:20, you may see a straggler or two filling out forms because they were late to their 8:00 appointment. I WISH Western would publish how many patients go through their clinic. But they won't, because that will make their school look WEAK.

If you go to Western, all of your exams will be team efforts where you have multiple people in the exam room. That sounds nice if you're not confident in your skills, but not doing full exams on your own will hurt you in the long run.

Academic Reputation

Again, going to Western is like going to Puerto Rico. People will think you went to an inferior program because you couldn't get into a better one. Do you want to have that reputation when you are starting your career? Look at this objectively: Even here, people are laughing at you because you seem to prefer Western over SCCO. Some people think you are joking. Not a single person here supports going to Western over SCCO.

Student Life/Leadership

SCCO has a very active student body that does lots of stuff. Their clubs are established, have traditions, and know how to do things. And there are a lot of clubs, so if you want to be a leader, you can. How about Western? How active are they?

Also, don't assume that Western and SCCO students or faculty members are working together. They came to a sports tournament once. I've never seen a single Western student since.

Wannabe Rapper: "Yeah, me an Snoop Dogg hang out all the time. We listen to records and rap together.
Snoop Dogg: **SLAP** YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

What's the final word? EVERYTHING Western says is so great about their program is questionable. They've fooled tons of people. But I expose them now, here.

Don't be fooled. Listen to everybody here. You will be a better doctor if you go to SCCO. You miss your friend? Drive 20 minutes and visit them. You want to be a leader? Join one of the MANY clubs we have at SCCO.

Your want to be a big fish in a small pond? Well, go to Western.

You know whats funny?

An OD from SCCO will earn the same amount of income as the graduate from Western.

What do you have to say about that, oh wise one? Surely, if SCCO is so GREAT, their graduates should be better off financially, no? ;)

I am not really defending either school, but rather responding to the posters claims. I found this persons post really informative and helpful and would urge any student to read this.

Last edited:
You know whats funny?

An OD from SCCO will earn the same amount of income as the graduate from Western.

What do you have to say about that, oh wise one? Surely, if SCCO is so GREAT, their graduates should be better off financially, no? ;)

I am not really defending either school, but rather responding to the posters claims. I found this persons post really informative and helpful and would urge any student to read this.

really?
so you are saying no matter where a student graduates from, and no matter where they get a job (corporate, VA, private practice), everyone gets the same pay?

and i assume that THETRUTHHURTS would say something along the lines of "more scco students will get jobs than western students" or "western has yet to graduate a student while scco has graduated 234135145432654242545262 students" or something like that..

As someone that is done and through the admissions process, here is my two cents....

Back when Western was opening, I did an interview there 2 days after my interview at SCCO, then a week later at Pacific. Here were my impressions:

1) The "Western Campus" did not exist. It was really a bunch of buildings randomly strewn over a pretty long distance. We did a tour through the main little boardwalk of the campus, but that was not very close to the 6 story non-descript brick block that housed our interview place.

2) Western's interview, at least the actual question part of it, was a complete joke. At SCCO I had been asked several very revealing questions (I still remember being asked what the hardest thing I'd ever studied for was --> very relevant to op school). Pacific's interview was longer and very professional....at Western I got asked something like "What was a situation when you did something for someone else that inconvenienced you?" What are we dating? How does that have any impact on whether or not I can spot a glaucomatous nerve or spot a dystrophy? And please don't give me the "Humanist" garbage. I consider myself one...and part of it is realizing that you can't judge compassion or character by sitting someone in a chair and lobbing Good Will Hunting therapist guy questions at them. If anything it turned me off of the school... I underwent macular hole surgery and spent 4 weeks sleeping with motorcycle tie downs on my arms to prevent me turning over...where's that on your phyco-evaluation? Please....

3) With all due respect....I lived in SoCal for a long time (in Pasadena at CalTech) and anyone that prefers Pomona to OC needs their head examined. And WHAT part of Pacific's campus was ugly? You mean the pristine woods part with almost no traffic and a half hour from the best city in the US part?

4) Here is a really big one, and this one is not me sniping (I know, the last have been. It's the internet. It wouldn't exist outside of sniping)...ANY SCHOOL that does not yet have what its Part I NBEO pass rates as a part of the decision process should be thrown out....That is not small potatoes. A school can give me the warm fuzzies and have equipment that NASA designed, but if 40% of their students are failing Part I, they clearly don't know what they are doing. Western obviously cannot know this yet due to their new status, but that is a REALLY big deal. You cannot possibly choose a school with SCCO's Part I pass rate over a school in which there is no information available for it yet. That is the bottom line.

5) I seriously almost fell out of my chair when I read the "SCCO grads will make the same money as Western grads" line....If you think that upon graduation a business owner (and yes, that is who you'll be going to. The only people that start cold right out of school are trust fund kids and complete idiots...many times the same group) will consider a grad from a school with a 100 year old reputation, that likely rotated through very full clinics with doctors he has probably heard of, all over someone out of a school he may not know existed, that will almost certainly have inferior pass rates.....see above on head examination. I would like to fully elaborate on the completeness of the naivete to say something like that, but it would only bore me. Anyone that believes that has no idea how this business really works. I will keep it there...

6) The good news is, to the original poster, that you have been given an opportunity to go to one of the best op schools there is. Do not waste that. There are people that ONLY got accepted at a "new school" (read, one in which they could easily be part of a class that passes 60% of Part I) that would kill to be in your position. That is the reality. I wish you all the best in choosing. Next time, I will try and tell you what I really think. :laugh: good luck future colleague!!

WOW, I'm gone for just one weekend and this thread explodes! :laugh:

Holy 5H!&. You had a lot to say! I appreciate your input and all, but that was an exhausting read. Clearly, you have way too much time on your hands. You say that people are laughing at me because I'm playing devil's advocate? Pshh, I don't give a hot damn! I'm excited that this thread has so many posts and even you decided to reply! :D I'm laughing at you because I'm sure that took you at least 2 hours to write and you've successfully made yourself sound like a douche. You have some valid points and I appreciate that, but this was poorly written and distasteful. Any Western students wanna defend themselves?

Do you have anything on SCCO vs. UCB?? Because I am dying trying to decide.

SCCO > UCB. Tuition is nearly the same price and SCCO's clinic kicks UCB's in the face.

As someone that is done and through the admissions process, here is my two cents....

The good news is, to the original poster, that you have been given an opportunity to go to one of the best op schools there is. Do not waste that. There are people that ONLY got accepted at a "new school" (read, one in which they could easily be part of a class that passes 60% of Part I) that would kill to be in your position. That is the reality. I wish you all the best in choosing. Next time, I will try and tell you what I really think. :laugh: good luck future colleague!!
:thumbup:

I'm still interested in hearing what a Western'er has to say :)

Last edited:
really?
so you are saying no matter where a student graduates from, and no matter where they get a job (corporate, VA, private practice), everyone gets the same pay?

You know whats funny?

If they're applying for the same job in the same state with the same employer, YES, you will be paid the same amount. Obviously, an optometrist would make more in California than in North Dakota, simply because the cost of living is substantially different.

I know a lot of you are saying that some optometrists would prefer an SCCO graduate over a Western graduate, but this is not ALWAYS the case (as previously stated in a different post). That's completely subjective. I'm sure that there are plenty of optometry-graduates from great institutions (like SCCO/SUNY/BERKS/WHEREVER) that are clearly less qualified than someone who went to a "lesser" institution. I do think that your personality and the way you display your work in front of an employer trumps wherever you get your degree.

Last edited:
If they're applying for the same job in the same state with the same employer, YES, you will be paid the same amount. Obviously, an optometrist would make more in California than in North Dakota, simply because the cost of living is substantially different.

I know a lot of you are saying that some optometrists would prefer an SCCO graduate over a Western graduate, but this is not ALWAYS the case (as previously stated in a different post). That's completely subjective. I'm sure that there are plenty of optometry-graduates from great institutions (like SCCO/SUNY/BERKS/WHEREVER) that are clearly less qualified than someone who went to a "lesser" institution. I do think that your personality and the way you display your work in front of an employer trumps wherever you get your degree.

1) Well that's just speculation

2) How does your personality show through to an employer? Generally in the interview. How do you get an interview? With a CV/Resume. What shows up on there?

I don't get 'the way you display your work' and how it trumps where you went to school. Displaying your work is generally done with *drumroll* a RESUME! If you get to a working interview, then yes. At that point though the school that conferred you an OD is pretty much not in question anymore.

How much a school matters for a job? I have no idea. I'm just not going to let the flawed logic slide by.

As someone that has been out for awhile now, I can unequivocally tell you one thing: the only people that think that where you go to school doesn't matter are....guess....people that are still in school or not there yet.

I have hired 4 OD's in the last 5 years for my practices in the northeast. Of those, 1 had over 30 years in the field, another about 15, and I went on a limb to hire 2 OD's straight out of residency. (Note that I did not say school. There are OD's and then there are OD's with a residency. There is a huge difference. I promise!) With this said, I came into contact with these two through a doc I know that works in a VA clinic that one of them rotated through. The other was brought to me by advertising, and I had 20+ qualified applicants for....keep in mind that I was offering a NEW practice with no buy in, no equip to buy, all with a patient base that had grown too large for the offices I then staffed....in other words, this was a dream job for a new grad. So when you talk about opportunities, this is what you mean. What does someone like me do when I see your resume and CV on my desk. Well, I will tell you what I did.

1) What are their patient clock hours? How many patients have they seen in their time at school. If they did not include this information or know it offhand, they clearly don't know a thing about spotting disease => no thanks.

2) Do they have a residency? If not, their patient numbers must be very high, or I must speak to someone that can verify their clinical acumen.

3) And this is where the school you went to comes in....who have they worked with in their career? Do I know the clinic they trained at? Can I get references from well-established clinical minds as to their abilities? (If you'd like specifics, I hired a Nova grad that had a residency from a VA. One of the best disease OD's in the country taught my doc on a daily basis, and said to me "That guy knows his stuff. You'd be lucky to have him." I rest my case on this point.

4) Do not get caught into some illusion that being hired as an OD is like being hired as an accountant or factory hand....sure, you might get a solid job at Lenscrafters (no disrespect. I started at Costco) with very little digging into your backgroun, but someone like me that is offering what you really want is investing tens of thousands of dollars into your ability. You are a gamble, and I will stop at nothing to make sure you are worth the risk. I do not know of any faculty at Western (I did my residency w a guy that has an externship site for SCCO). I don't know what their labs are like. Maybe you have great grades, but I have no idea how they grade there. (I.E. an SCCO, SUNY, or Nova grad with a 3.3 is a darn sharp cookie. They smash you in the face there and I know it) Maybe your 3.7 was the class average. Maybe your clinic time consisted of fitting 8 myopes a day. Maybe you saw all disease, all the time...the point is that I don't know, and I am not investing big bucks on an unknown.

5) As a previous poster said, I believe a school should be judged almost entirely on two things: what is their Part I pass rate, and what number of difficult patients is a grad likely to see? This along with their externship sites gives me a pretty good idea of what I am getting....and I have done enough of my homework that I did not consider someone for an interview if they were not from one of 10 schools...I won't name names, but that is NOT uncommon for people doing what I do. A colleague of mine in Boston recently hired 2 new grads, and would only consider students from one of FIVE schools!!! I think that is a tad overkill, but that is the reality. Sorry.

6) SCCO is in my opinion in the top 5 in the country, and very few would disagree with that. To pick a new school over that is completely ill-advised. I am only telling you what most anyone in my position would. Go to SCCO if you can. You will not regret it. I wish you the best. Find me in a few years if you need a job!:)

As someone that has been out for awhile now, I can unequivocally tell you one thing: the only people that think that where you go to school doesn't matter are....guess....people that are still in school or not there yet.

I have hired 4 OD's in the last 5 years for my practices in the northeast. Of those, 1 had over 30 years in the field, another about 15, and I went on a limb to hire 2 OD's straight out of residency. (Note that I did not say school. There are OD's and then there are OD's with a residency. There is a huge difference. I promise!) With this said, I came into contact with these two through a doc I know that works in a VA clinic that one of them rotated through. The other was brought to me by advertising, and I had 20+ qualified applicants for....keep in mind that I was offering a NEW practice with no buy in, no equip to buy, all with a patient base that had grown too large for the offices I then staffed....in other words, this was a dream job for a new grad. So when you talk about opportunities, this is what you mean. What does someone like me do when I see your resume and CV on my desk. Well, I will tell you what I did.

1) What are their patient clock hours? How many patients have they seen in their time at school. If they did not include this information or know it offhand, they clearly don't know a thing about spotting disease => no thanks.

2) Do they have a residency? If not, their patient numbers must be very high, or I must speak to someone that can verify their clinical acumen.

3) And this is where the school you went to comes in....who have they worked with in their career? Do I know the clinic they trained at? Can I get references from well-established clinical minds as to their abilities? (If you'd like specifics, I hired a Nova grad that had a residency from a VA. One of the best disease OD's in the country taught my doc on a daily basis, and said to me "That guy knows his stuff. You'd be lucky to have him." I rest my case on this point.

4) Do not get caught into some illusion that being hired as an OD is like being hired as an accountant or factory hand....sure, you might get a solid job at Lenscrafters (no disrespect. I started at Costco) with very little digging into your backgroun, but someone like me that is offering what you really want is investing tens of thousands of dollars into your ability. You are a gamble, and I will stop at nothing to make sure you are worth the risk. I do not know of any faculty at Western (I did my residency w a guy that has an externship site for SCCO). I don't know what their labs are like. Maybe you have great grades, but I have no idea how they grade there. (I.E. an SCCO, SUNY, or Nova grad with a 3.3 is a darn sharp cookie. They smash you in the face there and I know it) Maybe your 3.7 was the class average. Maybe your clinic time consisted of fitting 8 myopes a day. Maybe you saw all disease, all the time...the point is that I don't know, and I am not investing big bucks on an unknown.

5) As a previous poster said, I believe a school should be judged almost entirely on two things: what is their Part I pass rate, and what number of difficult patients is a grad likely to see? This along with their externship sites gives me a pretty good idea of what I am getting....and I have done enough of my homework that I did not consider someone for an interview if they were not from one of 10 schools...I won't name names, but that is NOT uncommon for people doing what I do. A colleague of mine in Boston recently hired 2 new grads, and would only consider students from one of FIVE schools!!! I think that is a tad overkill, but that is the reality. Sorry.

6) SCCO is in my opinion in the top 5 in the country, and very few would disagree with that. To pick a new school over that is completely ill-advised. I am only telling you what most anyone in my position would. Go to SCCO if you can. You will not regret it. I wish you the best. Find me in a few years if you need a job!:)

Thanks for the insight, doc :) It's good to hear from someone who's already in the know. I have an interview with SUNY soon. What do you rank SUNY (just out of curiosity)?

Last edited:
i know dilligaf said no names... but now I'm damn curious of what his/her top 10 are lol.

DO NOT CHOOSE a school based on where your friend is going! This is about YOU and YOUR education, and while it is always reassuring and comforting to have a friend close by you ultimately need to do what's best for you. your investment, your time, your education. You will make friends no matter where you go :)

i know dilligaf said no names... but now I'm damn curious of what his/her top 10 are lol.

ME TOO! I think I'm going to start a new thread :D

DO NOT CHOOSE a school based on where your friend is going! This is about YOU and YOUR education, and while it is always reassuring and comforting to have a friend close by you ultimately need to do what's best for you. your investment, your time, your education. You will make friends no matter where you go :)

You're right. I think I've pretty much made my decision about where I'd go between the two, but I have an interview with SUNY soon so that might change the game completely. Thanks for that reminder :thumbup: